The IANA evolution program’s primary focus is the stewardship over the IANA functions for the Internet in General and the IETF in particular.
Its main focus is on:
- the contractual relations between the US DoC and ICANN and the globalization thereof;
- the IANA MoU (RFC2860) and related agreements between stakeholders;
- the development of a vision with respect to the future of the IANA functions; and
- implementation and interpretation of the above.
The program acts also as a think-tank and advises the IAB on strategic and liaison issues.
In some cases this group may provide guidance and insight on matters relating ICANN in general.
The group is not responsible for daily operational guidance, such as review of the SLA between the IETF and ICANN. Those responsibilities are delegated to the IETF Protocol Registries Oversight Committee (IPROC).
The group focuses on the following high-level work items and responsibilities:
- Identifying the desired strategic direction for the relationship of IETF, the IANA function, and other parties.
- Tracking the developments surrounding the DoC IANA function contract and its globalization
- Responding to specific developments and information requests on this topic
The group is documenting a framework for describing the management of Internet registries managed by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. It defines terminology describing the various roles and responsibilities associated with management of Internet registry functions.
The most recent version of this document can be found at: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-iana-framework. Related to that framework is the more accessible webpage titled “A Framework for the Evolution of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)”
The group developed, maintains and advises on the implementation of the principles guiding the Evolution on the IANA Protocol Parameter Registries.
RESULTS AND REFERENCES
- IANA MoU
- IAB response to the IANA NOI
- Defining the Role and Function of IETF Protocol Parameter Registry Operator (RFC6220)
- ICANN-IETF Service Level Agreements
- ICANN performance evaluation
- Information on IANA performance
- IANA oversight statement by IETF Administrative Director
- Jari Arkko
- Marc Blanchet
- Russ Housley
- Eliot Lear
- Andrew Sullivan (IAB Lead, Program Chair)
- Bernard Aboba
- Kathy Brown
- Alissa Cooper
- Leslie Daigle
- John Klensin
- Olaf Kolkman
- Barry Leiba
- Thomas Narten
- Andrei Robachevsky
- Jonne Soininen
- Lynn St.Amour