MINUTES FOR NOVEMBER 9, 1999 IAB BUSINESS MEETING in Washington, DC
Erik Huizer (IRTF Chair)
Keith Moore (IESG liaison)
Joyce Reynolds (RFC Editor liaison)
Abel Weinrib (IAB Executive Director)
Teleconference 10AM Eastern time, Tuesday December 14.
NEW ACTION ITEMS:
OLD ACTION ITEMS:
- Fred Baker: QOS architecture overview document to IAB list.
- John Klensin: Prepare suggestion on Internet Draft boilerplate wording for Poisson Working Group.
- John Klensin and Rob Austein: Organize mini-workshop on DNS scaling concerns.
- Moved to new DNS directorate.
- Fred Baker: Plan IAB workshop on wireless/mobility.
- Ongoing. Bob Hinden will host and co-chair.
- Steve Deering: Organize a BOF on anycast addressing.
- Steve Deering for Charlie Perkins: Get detailed routing workshop notes published on IAB web site.
IAB DRAFTS IN PROGRESS:
- Erik Huizer: Network Layer Workshop report. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iab-ntwlyrws-over-01.txt
- Rob Austein: Need for single DNS root.
- Steve Bellovin: Security considerations, including common security attacks. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rescorla-sec-cons-00.txt
- Ongoing. Draft out.
- Harald Alvestrand: Directory definitions. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alvestrand-directory-defs-00.txt
- Ongoing. Draft out.
- Brian Carpenter: Transparency http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-transparency-04.txt
- Still under review by IESG; on track for publication as Informational RFC.
- Tony Hain: NAT/VPN http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-nat-implications-04.txt
- Ongoing. Waiting for comments.
- Ned Freed: Security, firewalls, proxies, etc. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iab-firewall-req-00.txt
- Ongoing. Draft out; a few comments received.
- Steve Bellovin: Applicability statement for security building blocks. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iab-secmech-01.txt
- Received comments. Final draft soon.
- Brian Carpenter and Erik Huizer: IAB charter (updated RFC 1601). http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iab-rfc1601bis-00.txt
- Ongoing. Received a few comments.
- Steve Deering for Charlie Perkins: The case for IPv6. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iab-case-for-ipv6-05.txt
- Ongoing. Will forward to Internet ADs for comment.
- Steve Deering: Routing Workshop report as Informational RFC. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-rtrws-over-01.txt
1. Serious cleanup of IAB action list
(0bjective: leave a clean slate after the March meeting)
Lots of items updated or deleted.
2. BOF coverage for Wed-Fri
(Don’t forget to copy the IESG on your BOF reports–with the good faith assumption that the IESG will copy the IAB on BOF charters in future.)
3. Prepare for open IAB and plenary debate
4. ICANN issues (especially the Ad Hoc Group)
Thanks to John Klensin for his success at constructively clarifying the Ad Hoc group’s role and charter.
Discussion of potential candidates for IAB/IETF representatives to Ad Hoc group.
5. IAB and Nomcom issues
Brian Carpenter agreed to continue serving as IAB chair until Spring IETF meeting. At that time, whether or not he continues to serve on the IAB, he is determined to step down as chair.
6. Simpson appeal #2
Consensus: Brian will read text of IAB finding at open plenary.
Note that IAB rules do NOT require a hearing for an appeal; after due consideration the IAB has decided not to hold a hearing in this case.
7. Geoff’s QOS draft
The IAB enjoyed a spirited discussion of QOS in multi-provider networks. Geoff will update his draft and it will appear as an I-D in due course.
Regular teleconference second Tuesday of the month at 10:00 AM Eastern Time.
These minutes were prepared by by Abel Weinrib