MINUTES FOR June 12, 2000 IAB TELECONFERENCE
Fred Baker (IETF Chair)
Randy Bush (IESG liaison)
Don Heath (ISOC liaison)
Joyce Reynolds (RFC Editor liaison)
Abel Weinrib (IAB Executive Director)
NEW ACTION ITEMS:
- John Klensin: Send note to NomComm chair, asking whether the NomComm wants to find IETF candidate for ICANN Board.
OLD ACTION ITEMS:
- John Klensin: Send mail to appropriate people (Scott Bradner, Steve Coya) requesting that NomCom volunteers be published “real time.”
- Henning Schulzrinne: Telephony Services PSTN interworking draft as an IAB document.
- Rob Austein and Brian Carpenter: Review and potentially update RFC 1958
- Steve Bellovin: Revive the NSRG or wind up.
- John Klensin: Prepare suggestion on Internet Draft boilerplate wording for Poisson Working Group.
- Steve Deering for Charlie Perkins: Get detailed routing workshop notes published on IAB web site.
IAB DRAFTS IN PROGRESS:
- Geoff Huston: QOS
- Ongoing. Along path to publishing as Informational RFC, Scott Bradner handed off to Yoram Bernet for careful review. Perhaps needs a different introductory paragraph, include references to existing work in progress.
- Erik Huizer: Network Layer Workshop report.
- Ongoing. In RFC editor queue. IESG signed off. Brian Carpenter will clean up, if required.
- Rob Austein: Need for single DNS root.
- Ran Atkinson: Security considerations, including common security attacks.
- Harald Alvestrand: Directory definitions.
- Tony Hain: NAT/VPN
- Leslie Daigle: Security, firewalls, proxies, etc.
- Ongoing. Comments largely positive. New draft out.
- Steve Bellovin: Applicability statement for security building blocks.
- Steve Deering for Charlie Perkins: The case for IPv6.
- Ongoing. Progress being made, good comments received, etc.
- Steve Deering: Routing Workshop report as Informational RFC.
- Ongoing. IESG comments being worked. “Security Considerations” section being worked.
1. Minutes of previous meeting
2. Review of action items
Face-face meeting at IETF: Tuesday evening, opposite social.
4. IRTF report and news
5. IESG liaison report and news
Issue of IESG review of IRTF (and IAB) documents still open… include in breakfast chat at next IETF.
6. Other outstanding liaison and similar issues
PSO/PC needs to provide nominations committee members for independent review panel for ICANN. ITU/ETSI have already named one member; W3C/IETF need to name another.
IETF also has opportunity to propose names (probably one) for ICANN Board; call for nominees next week, closure a month later. We (IAB/IETF) have not resolved how we are going to do this in open fashion consistent with our usual processes; one possibility is the IETF NomComm. If NomComm says “no”, then probably the IAB can step up.
Will be PSO general meeting at IETF in Pittsburgh.
7. .ARPA status
Procedures to use with “other SDOs”
8. Appeals, pending appeals, and boilerplate
9. Task list sorting
Themes: Integrity of infrastructure:
DNS and routing
International (charsets & identifiers)
Need more discussion on mailing list. More depth at face-face in Pittsburgh.
Regular teleconference second Monday of the month at 10:00 AM Eastern Time.
These minutes were prepared by Abel Weinrib