Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2000-09-11

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2000»IAB Minutes 2000-09-11

MINUTES FOR SEPTEMBER 11, 2000 IAB TELECONFERENCE

PRESENT:

    Ran Atkinson
    Rob Austein
    Fred Baker (IETF Chair)
    Steve Bellovin
    Randy Bush (IESG liaison)
    Leslie Daigle
    Tony Hain
    Don Heath (ISOC liaison)
    Geoff Huston
    John Klensin (IAB Chair)
    Joyce Reynolds (RFC Editor liaison)
    Abel Weinrib (IAB Executive Director)

NEXT MEETING:

NEW ACTION ITEMS:

OLD ACTION ITEMS:

  • Brian Carpenter: Arrange “middle boxes” IAB workshop.
    • Ongoing
  • Harald Alvestrand: Arrange “International Internet” IAB workshop. Fred Baker, Randy Bush, John Klensin… site committee.
    • Ongoing. Attempt to arrange for September was too optimistic. Now aiming for October/November time frame.
  • Henning Schulzrinne: Telephony Services PSTN interworking draft as an IAB document.
    • Ongoing.
  • Rob Austein and Brian Carpenter: Review and potentially update RFC 1958.
    • Ongoing.

IAB DRAFTS IN PROGRESS:

NOTES:

    1. review actions

      see above

    2. review drafts in progress

      see above

    3. administrivia

      Move calls two hours later?

    4. IRTF news

    5. IESG liaison report

      The IESG is (once again) discussing updating format of RFCs. Looks like a good time to pursue. Henning Schulzrinne has distributed draft proposal that looks like a good starting point. Concern expressed re. stability of any format beyond ASCII.

      General agreement to modify the RFC Editor’s “Statement of Work” to ask the RFC Editor to run an experiment with XML DTD to nroff translation for RFC publication formatting/editing. ISOC appears agreeable to modest additional funding to support this experiment, provided ISI would project manage it.

      One specific request is that when RFCs become obsolete, the forward and backward references in rfc-index.txt should be updated.

    6. Other liaisons and external issues

      3GPP: Would like to negotiate formal arrangement with “joint development” provisions. Going through many cycles, but so far we and they are not on the same page re. joint development. Thomas Narten and John Klensin will be attending 3GPP technical meeting in Hawaii in next few weeks. Meanwhile, ANSI’s Board of Directors took the unusual step of creating a competing body (“3GPP2″) because of concerns that 3GPP may not be open enough.

      E164.ARPA: Things looking up…

      PSO nomination: PSO-PC is managing to have a dialog about the candidates; looking hopeful for a consensus decision based on candidate qualifications.

    7. Internationalization workshop status

      Will not happen in September. Now aiming for October/November.

    8. Middlebox workshop status

      Brian Carpenter not on call.


These minutes were prepared by Abel Weinrib . An online copy of these and other minutes are available at http://www.iab.org/documents/IABmins. Also, visit the IAB Web page at http://www.iab.org/iab.