Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2004-04-13

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2004»IAB Minutes 2004-04-13

Minutes
IAB Teleconference

13 April 2004


ATTENDING

    Leslie Daigle — IAB Chair
    Bernard Aboba
    Harald Alvestrand — IETF/IESG Chair
    Rob Austein
    Sally Floyd
    Mark Handley
    Bob Hinden
    Geoff Huston
    Eric Rescorla
    Pete Resnick
    Jonathan Rosenberg
    Bert Wijnen — Liaison from the IESG
    Lynn St. Amour — Liaison from ISOC
    Joyce Reynolds — Liaison from the RFC Editor

APOLOGIES

    Patrik Faltstrom
    Jun-ichiro Itojun Hagino
    Vern Paxson — IRTF Chair

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS

    Informal Techchat, Tuesday 27th April, 2004
     

    Telechat, Tuesday 11 May, 2004


AGENDA

  1. Roll call, Agenda Bash and Previous Minutes
  2. Review of Action Items
  3. Review of Documents
  4. IAB Liaison Reports
  5. Updates from IETF Liaisons
  6. Current state of IANA
  7. IAB messaging workshop proposal
  8. IAB technical agenda for 2004
  9. Review of Individual Submissions by the RFC Editor
  10. Other Regular Business
    • Use of protocol parameter values by CARP / VRRP
    • Telechat time

NOTES

  1. Roll call, Agenda Bash and Previous Minutes

  2. Review of Action Items

  3. Review of Documents

  4. IAB Liaison Reports

      It was noted that Bernard Aboba has agreed to serve on the ICANN Nominations Committee for 2004 as a liaison from the IAB.

      IESG
      Rob Austein:, Bert Wijnen:

      • IESG had a retreat in April. A report has been passed to the IAB.

      • Harald, with feedback from the IESG, has prepared an ID to describe how IESG will handle individual submissions that come in via RFC-Editor. The RFC-Editor is agreeable to this approach. Next step is IETF Last Call for comment/input. I-D name is draft-iesg-rfced-documents-01.txt

      • IESG has a small team (Bert and Bill) to prioritize a number of ID_tracker wish list items. These, once implemented by secretariat, will improve the usability of the tool.

      • IESG is reviewing old I-Ds that have been in RFC-Editor queue for a long time to see what we can do to unlock them.

      • IESG is working on a revised IDnits web page. Current draft is at: http://www.ops.ietf.org/IDnits.html. IAB comments are welcome.

      RFC Editor
      Joyce Reynolds:

      • The RFC Editor funding arrangements from ISOC for 2004 has been completed.

      • The RFC Editor has added tags to allow direct links into the RFC Editor queue page. E.g., http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue.html#draft-ietf-ips-fcovertcpip

      • The RFC Editor Errata page is now linked from the search engine.

      • The IESG’s suggestion to add a tag for working groups to our RFC INDEX file is in process. We asked the IETF Secretariat to provide WG history from their databases.

        We have received a first cut at working group to RFC mapping from the Secretariat, and are working to improve format.

      • We are working with Marshall Rose with XML for RFCs to create the desired format we require.

      • RFC Editor has started a discussion on maintaining rfc-info service, for email retrieval of RFCs, on the rfc-interest mail list.

      IRTF
      Vern Paxson:

      • The SIREN RG has closed.

      • Chartering a HIP-related RG is imminent.

      • Reviewing a request to charter an “Internet information retrieval service” RG.

      ISOC
      Lynn St Amour:

      • As part of effort to get RFC Editor contract formally extended through 2004, ISOC with IAB involvement, re-iterated their financial support to RFC Editor for 2004 (approx. $575K). Contract negotiations completed, paperwork being finalized.

      • ISOC Board of Trustee Elections complete, announcements scheduled for April 15th, 2004.

      • ISOC, IETF, IAB, IPv6 etc. all participated in the UN session on Internet Governance held at the end of March.

      Administrative Restructuring
      Leslie Daigle:

      • The current activity is to take what was heard in Seoul at IETF59 and revise the drafts accordingly. The intention is to provide revised drafts by 3rd May to allow for review by the IESG, IAB and the ISOC Board of Trustees.

  5. Updates from IETF Liaisons

      ITU-T
      Scott Bradner:

      • GSC-9: Hiroshi Esaki will be attending for the IETF.

      W3C
      Leslie Daigle:

      • The IAB agreed to allow the IAB comments on the W3C Technical Architecture Group’s report to be published in the W3C forums.

      ICANN – TLG
      Geoff Huston, Rob Austein:

      • No items reported

      ICANN – Liaison to the Board
      John Klensin:

      • John Klensin has alerted the IAB that he has been offered some technical consulting work for ICANN. The proposed activity is clarification to ICANN staff in getting across IDN technology and associated practical considerations.

        The IAB discussed this and determined this does not appear to represent a conflict of interest with John’s role as IAB liaison to the ICANN Board.

      • The IAB considered further actions in the IDN space, and noted that while there is considerable activity at present there are still some issues in the use of such names. Patrik Faltstrom and John Klensin will consider if there is some further matters that would benefit from an IAB considerations document on aspects of this topic.

      • The IAB considered an ICANN request relating to the preparation of an informational document on the forms of checks an application should undertake on the validity of names in various contexts. The IAB concluded that this topic was already considered in RFC 3696, and that there was nothing further the IAB wished to add to the material contained in that document. This conclusion is to be

      IEEE 802
      Bernard Aboba:

      • The IAB was informed of a number of specific action items coming out of the IEEE 802/IETF Liaison meetings held earlier in the year.

      • An Area Director query relating to waiving of the fee for allocation of an EtherType in an IETF standards track document was considered. IEEE 802 has a procedure by which this fee may be waived on request.

    RSSAC
    Rob Austein:

    • No items reported

  6. Current State of IANA

    Thomas Narten reported on the results of an initial analysis of document progress based on the RFC Editor Queue data that related to the processing rate of documents in the IANA state.

    The IAB noted the concerns expressed in the report, and considered ways in which the IANA could be assisted to address this matter of a recent drop in effective throughput. It was noted that while the throughput in measuring the time taken to create new protocol parameter registries could be objectively measured through the regular examination of the document status within the publication process. Similar measurements of the responsiveness of IANA in responding to requests relating to registration of protocol parameters within established registries was not readily available to the IAB. It was noted that some form of ticketing support may be useful in ensuring that all IANA requests are responded to promptly.

    The IAB decided to commence publication of the IANA document queue status on a monthly basis, listing the documents where IANA actions have been required. Other approaches to assist in addressing this issue of an expanding backlog of IANA actions will be explored with IANA staff.

  7. IAB Messaging Workshop Proposal

    The IAN considered a proposal to host a messaging workshop. The IAB agreed to proceed with the arrangements, noting that the objective here is intended to generate some additional perspectives on the architecture of messaging applications, and is not intended to be focused on reworking current IETF and IRTF activities.

  8. IAB technical agenda for 2004

    The IAB considered a number of candidate areas for further study including:

    • The future of congestion control when deployed in conjunction with real time traffic
    • How do we evolve the Internet routing architecture?
    • DoS resistant architectures.
    • The tension between auto-configuration and security.
    • Living with NATs.
    • The Hostile Internet
    • ID / Locator split in the architecture
    • The role and use of identity realms

    To review these and other relevant technical topics in more detail, the IAB agreed to have monthly technical discussions (IAB Tech telechats). The first will focus on the topic of NATs.

  9. Review of Individual Submissions by the RFC Editor

    The IAB considered the implications of the IESG draft concerning the proposed IESG handling of individual submissions to the RFC Editor.

    The IAB had a number of concerns relating to the potential shift in the preferred method of RFC publication from the “IETF” publication track to an individual submission track, procedures and accountabilities in the area of technical review of individual submissions

    It was noted that this was within the scope of the IETF Newtrk WG, and IAB consideration was directed towards any additional actions that were appropriate at this point in time.

    An “IAB Considerations” section will be considered for inclusion in the IESG draft on this topic.

  10. Other Regular Business

    • Use of protocol parameter values by CARP / VRRP

      The IAB was informed of a potential clash of protocol parameter values in an open source implementation of CARP. More information will be sought from the open source developers on this subject.

    • Telechat time

      IAB telechats will commence at 2100 UTC (i.e. 5pm US EDT) during the southern hemisphere winter.


IAB ACTIONS and DOCUMENTS

    Actions

      Actions

      • DNS and IDN Document
          Rob Austein
          [Feb-03]
          current

          Status: Coordinate IETF document between ADs and WGs
          •  A document to answer the specific issues about IDN is needed.
          •  Patrik to discuss draft-klensin-reg-guidelines document with John Klensin
      • OMA Liaison
          Geoff Huston
          [Sep-03]
          current

          Status: draft document to be considered
          •  OMA has responded with a draft agreement. Requires a comparison with IETF proposed liaison agreement.
      • ISOC BoT Selection Process
          Leslie Daigle
          [Dec-03]
          current

          Status: Announce Erik Huizer as the confirmed candidate on April 15 to IETF
      • ID / Locator Architectural Consideration
          Bernard Aboba
          [Jan-04]
          current

          Status: Consideration of next steps by Bernard, Geoff, Mark plus Steve, Margaret and David from IESG – Bernard to set up conference call
      • Review of W3C TAG Report
          Patrik Faltstrom
          [Feb-04]
          current

          Status: Review the W3C Technical Architecture Group report and circulate review to IAB
          •  Allow W3C to publish the IAB comments
      • ICANN Nominations Committee
          Leslie Daigle
          [Apr-04]
          current

          Status: Pass Bernard Aboba’s name to ICANN as the IAB member of the ICANN NominatIons Committee

      • Response to ICANN: Application checks on names
          Leslie Daigle
          [Apr-04]
          current

          Status: Prepare response to ICANN on matter of application checks on name syntax – Response to refer to RFC 3696
      • IAB Messaging Workshop
          Pete Resnick
          [Apr-04]
          current

          Status: Proposal Accepted by the IAB
          •  Draft an announcement note for the workshop
      • IAB Tech Call
          Jonathan Rosenberg
          [Apr-04]
          current

          Status: 27th April Call – Living with NATs
      • RFC Individual Submissions
          Jonathan Rosenberg
          [Apr-04]
          current

          Status: draft IAB Considerations section for iesg-rfced-documents
      • *RP protocol parameter value
          Eric Rescorla
          [Apr-04]
          current

          Status: Query Open Source developers over choice of protocol parameter values for open source versions of redundancy protocol implementation

      Documents

      • A survey of Authentication Mechanisms
        draft-iab-auth-mech-03.txt
          Eric Rescorla
          [Apr-02]
          current
          Status: IETF Call
          1.  (current)

      • Internationalized Resource Identifiers
        draft-iab-char-rep-01.txt
          Leslie Daigle
          [Nov-02]
          current
          Status: Review
          1.  (current) draft published

      • IAB Research Agenda
        draft-iab-research-funding-02.txt

          Sally Floyd, Vern Paxson, Ran Atkinson, Mike St Johns, John Crowcroft
          [Jul-02]
          current
          Status: Revision
          1.  (current) minor revision in response to IETF comment
          2.  (next) Submission to RFC Editor as IAB Informational

      • Secure Autoconfiguration in IPv6
          Bernard Aboba, James Kempf
          [Mar-03]
          current
          Status: Drafting
          1.  (current) Propose to rework current summary as a framework description. Note original problem statement of the range of choices of discovery mechanisms.

      • Protocol Models
        draft-iab-model-00.txt
          Eric Rescorla
          [May-03]
          current
          Status: Review
          1.  (current) draft published
          2.  (next) Erik to complete a number of sections (-01)

      • Internet Identities
        draft-iab-identities-00.txt
          Patrik Faltstrom, Geoff Huston
          [Jul-03]
          current
          Status: Review
          1.  (current) draft published
          2.  (next) gih to complete security section and references

      • DOS Attacks
        draft-iab-dos-00.txt
          Mark Handley
          [Sep-03]
          current
          Status: Review
          1.  (current) draft published
          2.  (next) Revise as per comments received

      • Liaison Management
        draft-iab-liaison-mgmt-01.txt
          Leslie Daigle
          [Nov-03]
          current
          Status: Review
          1.  (current) Liaison document complements draft baker liaison. Met with Secretariat and Baker to run through two documents – the draft baker document provides a framework – some has been implemented. How to prioritize this activity is an outstanding matter.
          2.  (next) The documents are to be meshed to allow the Secretariat to implement a mechanism to track liaison documents. Awaiting a new revision of the baker document, and the iab document will be revised in accordance with that draft, rflecting what has been agreed on

These minutes were prepared by Geoff Huston; comments should be sent to iab-execd@iab.org. An online copy of these and other minutes is available at: http://www.iab.org/documents/IABmins/

The IAB Web page is at http://www.iab.org