Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2004-05-11

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2004»IAB Minutes 2004-05-11

Minutes
IAB Teleconference

11 May 2004


ATTENDING

    Leslie Daigle — IAB Chair
    Bernard Aboba
    Harald Alvestrand — IETF/IESG Chair
    Rob Austein
    Patrik Faltstrom
    Sally Floyd
    Mark Handley
    Bob Hinden
    Geoff Huston
    Eric Rescorla
    Pete Resnick
    Jonathan Rosenberg
    Bert Wijnen — Liaison from the IESG
    Vern Paxson — IRTF Chair
    Lynn St. Amour — Liaison from ISOC

APOLOGIES

    Jun-ichiro Itojun Hagino
    Joyce Reynolds — Liaison from the RFC Editor

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS

    Telechat, Tuesday 8 June, 2004

AGENDA

  1. Roll call, Agenda Bash and Previous Minutes
  2. Review of Action Items
  3. Review of Documents
  4. IAB Liaison Reports
  5. Updates from IETF Liaisons
  6. IAB Techchat
  7. IETF Administrative Restructuring
  8. Other Regular Business
    • IAB Mailing List
    • IANA Status Report
    • MARID Issues

NOTES

  1. Roll call, Agenda Bash and Previous Minutes

  2. Review of Action Items

  3. Review of Documents

  4. IAB Liaison Reports

      IESG
      Rob Austein:, Bert Wijnen:

      • IESG is discussing an experiment to do a “split-team” review of Informational and Experimental WG documents. The idea is that we form 2 teams (one AD from each area onm each team) and that we will have an I-D be reviewed by one team only. The goal of the experiment is to see if we can improve throughput without reducing quality of the review. It will be checked for clearance by the community.

      • IESG has issued an IETF Last Call for draft-iesg-rfced- documents which is aimed at reducing the workload on IESG for individual submissions to the RFC-Editor. The proposal is that the IESG review will be limited to ONLY checking for conflicts between the work of the IETF and the document in question.

      • Harald (and some other ADs) will undertake an IETF BOF at the next NANOG meeting

      RFC Editor
      Joyce Reynolds:

      • The RFC Editor is adding source names (e.g., IETF Working Group name) to INDEX, rfc-index.txt, rfc-index.xml. This is currently waiting on an IESG check of mapping of RFC’s to Working Groups received from the IETF Secretariat.

      • The RFC Editor is also adding draft names to to INDEX, rfc-index.txt, rfc-index.xml

      • We are receiving weekly reports from Bill Fenner on mismatches between IESG datatracker and RFC-Editor queue

      • We are planning for RFC-Editor’s ‘meet and greet’ kiosk at IETF-60

      • The rfc-interest list is currently discussing representation of UTF-8, unicode in RFCs

      • We are adding the historic Internet Engineering Notes (IENs) to INDEX, and the RFC Editor search engine

      • We have clarified/updated rules for vetting errata on standards track documents. If the reported errata changes the meaning of the RFC, we will consult the appropriate ADs

      • We are working on the initial launch of the RFC Editor’s Editorial Board

      IRTF
      Vern Paxson:

      • Nothing to Report

      ISOC
      Lynn St Amour:

      • No report submitted this month, due to INET commitments.

      Administrative Restructuring
      Leslie Daigle:

      • See agenda item.

  5. Updates from IETF Liaisons

      ITU-T
      Scott Bradner:

      • No items to report

      W3C
      Leslie Daigle:

      • No items to report

      ICANN – TLG
      Geoff Huston, Rob Austein:

      • No items to report

      ICANN – Liaison to the Board
      John Klensin:

      • The IAB noted the IANA actions associated with the creation of an IANA IDN registry and will place this on the agenda of discussions with IANA.

      RSSAC
      Rob Austein:

      • No items reported

      IEEE 802
      Bernard Aboba:

      • Review of the IETF CAPWAP taxonomy document has been proceeding. A summary of comments has been compiled. Overall, IEEE 802.11 has found the document to be helpful.

      • Bert Wijnen continues to work with Tony Jeffree on providing IEEE 802 with access to the “New Work” announcements.

      • The Wireless Internetworking Study Group (WIEN) has been chartered by IEEE 802.11 and is looking into internetworking of 3G and WLAN technologies, including some of the issues relating to AAA and EAP Network Discovery that had been discussed in EAP WG at IETF 59. A brief summary of the IETF discussion will be presented there.

      • IEEE 802.11 has requested that draft-walker-ieee802-req-00 be published as an Informational RFC. The document has gone to IETF last call, comments have been received and a vote on the proposed resolutions has been scheduled within IEEE 802.11 for May 14.

      • In order to clarify the requested handling of EAP method documents, IEEE 802.11 has inserted a clause requesting that such documents be sent to IETF last call.

  6. IAB Techchat

    Patrik Faltstrom will lead a discussion on IPv6 address architecture and the various forms od relationship between the architecture and address allocation poilicies and practices.

    The call is scheduled for 1 June.

  7. Admin Restructuring

    The IAB considered a revision of draft-daigle-adminrest, and expressed support for the proposals contained in that document. It was reported to the IAB that the proposals will be considered by the Board of Trustees of the Internet Society with a view to ISOC supporting initial detailed planning phase of this activity. The outcomers of this meeting will be reported to the IAB.

  8. Other Regular Business

    • IAB Mailer Status

      A scripted mail scanner will be applied to IAB mail in order to reduce the list management overhead.

    • IANA report

      It was reported to the IAB that there have been conversations with IANA staff on the topic of IANA performance.

      The IAB decided to continue the regular monthly publication of statistics associated with IANA’s processing of IETF documents.

      The IAB will formally communicate their concerns about IANA performance to the CEO and Chairman of the Board of ICANN.

    • MARID Issues

      The IAB considered a topic relating to the use of DNS Resource Records in the context of the MARID Working Group. Patrik Falstrom will prepare a note on this topic


IAB ACTIONS and DOCUMENTS

    Actions

    • DNS and IDN Document
        Rob Austein, Patrik Faltstrom
        [Feb-03]
        current

        Status: Coordinate an IAB document on this topic
        •  A document to answer the specific issues about IDN is needed.
        •  Patrik to discuss draft-klensin-reg-guidelines document with John Klensin
    • OMA Liaison
        Geoff Huston
        [Sep-03]
        current

        Status: IETF draft of liaison document to be proposed
        •  OMA has responded with a draft agreement. Comparison with IETF proposed liaison agreement completed.
    • ID / Locator Architectural Consideration
        Bernard Aboba
        [Jan-04]
        current

        Status: Will review progress of Multi6 WG at next IAB meeting
    • IAB Messaging Workshop
        Pete Resnick
        [Apr-04]
        current

        Status: Proposal accepted by the IAB
        •  Draft an announcement note for the workshop
        •  Further actrivity on workshop invitatation list
    • RFC Individual Submissions
        Leslie Daigle
        [Apr-04]
        closed

        Status: draft IAB Considerations section for iesg-rfced-documents darft
        •  drafted – under IAB consideration
    • *RP protocol parameter value
        Eric Rescorla
        [Apr-04]
        current

        Status: Query the Open Source developers over choice of protocol parameter values for open source versions of redundancy protocol implementation
    • Note ti ICANN re IANA
        Leslie Daigle, Geoff Huston
        [May-04]
        current

        Status: Prepare formal note to ICANN regarding concerns about IANA performance
    • Note to MARID regarding DNS RRs
        Patrik Faltstrom
        [May-04]
        current

        Status: a
    • DNS and IDN Document
        Rob Austein, Patrik Faltstrom
        [Feb-03]
        current

        Status: Coordinate an IAB document on this topic
        •  A document to answer the specific issues about IDN is needed.
        •  Patrik to discuss draft-klensin-reg-guidelines document with John Klensin
    • OMA Liaison
        Geoff Huston
        [Sep-03]
        current

        Status: IETF draft of liaison document to be proposed
        •  OMA has responded with a draft agreement. Comparison with IETF proposed liaison agreement completed.
    • ID / Locator Architectural Consideration
        Bernard Aboba
        [Jan-04]
        current

        Status: Will review progress of Multi6 WG at next IAB meeting
    • IAB Messaging Workshop
        Pete Resnick
        [Apr-04]
        current

        Status: Proposal accepted by the IAB
        •  Draft an announcement note for the workshop
        •  Further actrivity on workshop invitatation list
    • RFC Individual Submissions
        Leslie Daigle
        [Apr-04]
        closed

        Status: draft IAB Considerations section for iesg-rfced-documents darft
        •  drafted – under IAB consideration
    • *RP protocol parameter value
        Eric Rescorla
        [Apr-04]
        current

        Status: Query the Open Source developers over choice of protocol parameter values for open source versions of redundancy protocol implementation
    • Note to ICANN re IANA
        Leslie Daigle, Geoff Huston
        [May-04]
        current

        Status: Prepare formal note to ICANN regarding concerns about IANA performance
    • Note to MARID regarding DNS RRs
        Patrik Faltstrom
        [May-04]
        current

        Status: a

    Documents

    • A survey of Authentication Mechanisms
      draft-iab-auth-mech-03.txt
        Eric Rescorla
        [Apr-02]
        current
        Status: Revision
        1.  (current) Revise as per comments from IETF call

    • Internationalized Resource Identifiers
      draft-iab-char-rep-01.txt
        Leslie Daigle
        [Nov-02]
        current
        Status: Review
        1.  (current) revised draft to be submitted

    • IAB Research Agenda
      draft-iab-research-funding-03.txt

        Sally Floyd, Vern Paxson, Ran Atkinson, Mike St Johns, John Crowcroft
        [Jul-02]
        current
        Status: RFC Editor
        1.  (current) Submission to RFC Editor as IAB Informational

    • Secure Autoconfiguration in IPv6
        Bernard Aboba
        [Mar-03]
        current
        Status: IAB Review
        1.  (current) Propose to rework current summary as a framework description. Note original problem statement of the range of choices of discovery mechanisms.
        2.  (next) IAB Review: Rob, Bob, Sally, Patrik

    • Protocol Models
      draft-iab-model-00.txt
        Eric Rescorla
        [May-03]
        current
        Status: Review
        1.  (current) draft published
        2.  (next) Erik to complete a number of sections (-01)

    • Internet Identities
      draft-iab-identities-01.txt
        Patrik Faltstrom, Geoff Huston
        [Jul-03]
        current
        Status: Review
        1.  (current) draft published
        2.  (next) IAB Review: Leslie, Jonathan, Sally

    • DOS Attacks
      draft-iab-dos-02.txt
        Mark Handley
        [Sep-03]
        current
        Status: Review
        1.  (current) draft published
        2.  (next) IAB Review: Geoff, Eric

    • Liaison Management
      draft-iab-liaison-mgmt-01.txt
        Leslie Daigle
        [Nov-03]
        current
        Status: Review
        1.  (current) Liaison document complements draft baker liaison. Met with Secretariat and Baker to run through two documents – the draft baker document provides a framework – some has been implemented. How to prioritize this activity is an outstanding matter.
        2.  (next) The documents are to be meshed to allow the Secretariat to implement a mechanism to track liaison documents. Awaiting a new revision of the baker document, and the iab document will be revised in accordance with that draft, rflecting what has been agreed on
        3.  (next) awaiting devine intervention or a few more well chosen words, or both

    • Applications issues with NATS
        Jonathan Rosenberg
        [Apr-04]
        current
        Status: drafting
        1.  (current)

These minutes were prepared by Geoff Huston; comments should be sent to iab-execd@iab.org. An online copy of these and other minutes is available at: http://www.iab.org/documents/IABmins/

The IAB Web page is at http://www.iab.org