Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2004-06-08

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2004»IAB Minutes 2004-06-08

Minutes
IAB Teleconference

8 June 2004


ATTENDING

    Leslie Daigle — IAB Chair
    Bernard Aboba
    Harald Alvestrand — IETF/IESG Chair
    Rob Austein
    Patrik Faltstrom
    Sally Floyd
    Mark Handley
    Bob Hinden
    Geoff Huston
    Eric Rescorla
    Pete Resnick
    Jonathan Rosenberg
    Bert Wijnen — Liaison from the IESG
    Vern Paxson — IRTF Chair
    Lynn St. Amour — Liaison from ISOC
    Joyce Reynolds — Liaison from the RFC Editor

APOLOGIES

    Jun-ichiro Itojun Hagino

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS

    Telechat, Tuesday 13 July, 2004

AGENDA

  1. Roll call, Agenda Bash and Previous Minutes
  2. Review of Action Items
  3. Review of Documents
  4. IAB Liaison Reports
  5. Updates from IETF Liaisons
  6. Response to ITU Liaison Statements
  7. Preparation for IETF 60
  8. Other Regular Business

NOTES

  1. Roll call, Agenda Bash and Previous Minutes

  2. Review of Action Items

  3. Review of Documents

  4. IAB Liaison Reports

      IESG
      Rob Austein:, Bert Wijnen:

      • Testing of a split team approach to IESG document review is being undertaken by the IESG.

      RFC Editor
      Joyce Reynolds:

      • The RFC Editorial Board has been helping the RFC Editor in making decisions on a number of pending independent submissions.

        For example, The following documents have been rejected:

          draft-foster-e164-gstn-npusa-06.txt
          draft-ogura-mapos-nsp-multiexp-02.txt
          draft-wildgrube-gnp-05.txt
          draft-lapuh-network-smlt-03.txt

      • Regarding EAP documents. There has been confusion on who should review them. The 3GPP has been sending the documents to the RFC Editor. The RFC Editor plans to ask the IESG to process/shepherd these documents.

      • An energetic member of the community has created an RSS feed of RFC (and ID) publications at:

        We’ve added a link to his page on:

      The IAB discussed the role of the Editorial Board, and noted that it was proposed to act in an advisory role to the RFC Editor. Further discussion on this topic will be scheduled at IETF 60.

      IRTF
      Vern Paxson:

      • Yakov Shafranovich has stepped down as co-chair of ASRG.

      • The proposed “Internet information retrieval service” Research Group will not be chartered.

      ISOC
      Lynn St Amour:

      • Update from the May 2004 ISOC Board of Trustees meeting:

        • The ISOC Board reviewed the IETF’s request for support of it’s Administrative Restructuring activities and pledged financial and staff support as requested.

        • The new Board was formally seated and the current members can be found here:

        • Fred Baker (a Board member who was appointed by the IETF) has been re-elected for a third term as Chair of the ISOC Board of Trustees.

      • RFC Editor contract – an extension covering through the end of December 2004 has now been signed by all parties. The basic terms of the contract did not change, but the Statement of Work for 2004 was updated by the IAB and ISI.

      • INET 2004 was held recently in Barcelona, Spain. There was significant participation on the program from the IAB and IETF Chairs as well as many other regular IETF’ers. The program will be published on the ISOC web site soon.

      Administrative Restructuring
      Leslie Daigle:

      • The IAB discussed the current status of the administrative restructuring activity.

  5. Updates from IETF Liaisons

      ITU-T
      Scott Bradner:

      • Consideration of ENUM instructions minuted under Item 5.

      W3C
      Leslie Daigle:

      • A charter for an Applications Area WG for work relating to defining a feed format for representing, and a protocol for editing, Web resources was discussed some months ago (ATOMPUB). It became apparent that there is also a viewpoint that the work should be undertaken within the W3C (as opposed to the IETF). Under the auspices of our liaison relationship with the W3C, the Applications Area Directors and their counterparts within the W3C are considering this. It is the intention of the IETF and W3C that the activity will be housed in one organization, and the other will expect to participate there. No decision has been made as yet as to which organization will be used as the base for this effort.

      ICANN – TLG
      Geoff Huston, Rob Austein:

      • No items to report

      ICANN – Liaison to the Board
      John Klensin:

      • It was reported that public comments are invited on the GNSO Council Whois Task Forces
        1,
        2 &
        3 Preliminary reports

      The IAB noted that the IETF is working on technology that is related to this matter in the CRISP WG. It appears that these task forces are developing policy that has some technical implications. The IAB considered whether it was appropriate to inform these Task Forces of the current IETF activity, and decided to consult with the ICANN Liaison on this matter.

      RSSAC
      Rob Austein:

      • ICANN is in the process of soliciting public comments on its plan to allow AAAA RRs into the root zone of the DNS.

      IEEE 802
      Bernard Aboba:

      • A detailed liaison report has been filed with the IAB.

      • There are no issues of note, as the cooperative activity is progressing smoothly.

  6. Response to ITU Liaison Statements

    The IAB has provided
    guidance to the RIPE NCC in January 2004 that under the terms of the ENUM registry agreement the extent to which RIPE NCC acts as a protocol parameter registry for the IAB is in respect only of delegated country codes listed in ITU Recommendation E.164. Other codes does not fall within this agreement. Communication has been received indicating that this guidance should be in the format of a formal instruction to the RIPE NCC. The IAB will publish this guidance as a formal note.

  7. Preparation for IETF 60

    The current plans for IETF 60 include:

      Wed AM IESG/IAB – RFC Editor meeting
      Plenary – IRTF – Anti-Spam

    Regarding a possible presentation the topic of SASL was proposed. This topic will be reviewed at the IAB June tech chat.

  8. Other Regular Business


IAB ACTIONS and DOCUMENTS

    Actions

    • IDN
        Geoff Huston
        [Feb-03]
        current

        Status: Coordinate preparatory work for a possible IAB ‘virtual’ workshop on IDN and related matters
        •  Compile a list of questions to be addressed in the context of a workshop
        •  Leslie, Patrik and John Klensin to review
        •  Prepare workshop plan for IAB approval
    • OMA Liaison
        Geoff Huston
        [Sep-03]
        current

        Status: Conclude Liaison Arrangements
        •  Prepare revised IETF draft agreement
        •  Ted Hardie, Thomas Narten, Allison Mankin, Leslie Daigle and IETF Legal Council to review
        •  Confirm with IAB and IESG
        •  Pass to OMA
    • ID / Locator Architectural Consideration
        Bernard Aboba
        [Jan-04]
        current

        Status: Will review progress of Multi6 WG at next IAB meeting
        •  Interim meeting of Multi6 WG to be held on 14 June
    • IAB Messaging Workshop
        Pete Resnick
        [Apr-04]
        current

        Status: Preparation
        •  Initial invitations sent out – 15 acceptances to date
        •  Scheduling: late August / Early September; Proposed location: North America
        •  Mailing list of participants to be set up
    • *RP protocol parameter value
        Eric Rescorla
        [Apr-04]
        current

        Status: Query the Open Source developers over choice of protocol parameter values for open source versions of redundancy protocol implementation
        •  Note Drafted – ready to send
    • Note to ICANN re IANA
        Leslie Daigle, Geoff Huston
        [May-04]
        closed

        Status: Prepare formal note to ICANN regarding concerns about IANA performance
        •  Note sent
    • Note to MARID regarding DNS RRs
        Patrik Faltstrom
        [May-04]
        closed

        Status: Note to MARID WG concerning the choice of DNS RRs
        •  Prepare an IAB document on this subject
    • IPv6 Policies
        Geoff Huston, Bob Hinden, Patrik Faltstrom
        [May-04]
        current

        Status: Draft IAB Considerations note on current IPv6 allocation metrics for review by stakeholders
        •  Circulate draft note to IESG, IAB and RIR Liaison for comment and review assistance
    • IRTF Plenary Presentation
        Vern Paxson
        [Jun-04]
        current

        Status: Propose IRTF Plenary presentation
    • IAB RG Review
        Vern Paxson
        [Jun-04]
        current

        Status: Propose a RG for IAB review
    • ICANN WHOIS TF
        Geoff Huston
        [Jun-04]
        current

        Status: Check with John Klensin whether a note on CRISP activites would be helpful for WHOIS TF efforts
    • ENUM Instructions clarification
        Leslie Daigle
        [Jun-04]
        current

        Status: Leslie to draft proposed instruction text
        •  Circulate draft to IAB and stakeholder parties
        •  Publish as addendum to ENUM registry instructions
    • SASL
        Eric Rescorla
        [Jun-04]
        current

        Status: Circulate reading list for techchat

    Documents

    • A survey of Authentication Mechanisms
      draft-iab-auth-mech-03.txt
        Eric Rescorla
        [Apr-02]
        current
        Status: Revision
        1.  (current) Revise as per comments from IETF call

    • Internationalized Resource Identifiers
      draft-iab-char-rep-01.txt
        Leslie Daigle
        [Nov-02]
        current
        Status: Hold
        1.  (current) Part of IDN workshop agenda

    • IAB Research Agenda
      draft-iab-research-funding-03.txt

        Sally Floyd, Vern Paxson, Ran Atkinson, Mike St Johns, John Crowcroft
        [Jul-02]
        current
        Status: RFC Editor
        1.  (current) Submission to RFC Editor as IAB Informational – 16 May

    • Secure Autoconfiguration in IPv6
        Bernard Aboba
        [Mar-03]
        current
        Status: IAB Review
        1.  (current) Propose to rework current summary as a framework description. Note original problem statement of the range of choices of discovery mechanisms.
        2.  (next) IAB Review: Rob, Bob, Patrik

    • Protocol Models
      draft-iab-model-01.txt
        Eric Rescorla
        [May-03]
        current
        Status: Review
        1.  (current) IAB Review: Sally
        2.  (next) IETF Call for Input

    • Internet Identities
      draft-iab-identities-01.txt
        Patrik Faltstrom, Geoff Huston
        [Jul-03]
        current
        Status: Revision
        1.  (current) draft published
        2.  (next) IAB Review: Leslie, Jonathan, Sally (done)

    • DOS Attacks
      draft-iab-dos-01.txt
        Mark Handley
        [Sep-03]
        current
        Status: Revision
        1.  (current) draft published
        2.  (next) IAB Review: Geoff (done), Eric (done)

    • Liaison Management
      draft-iab-liaison-mgmt-01.txt
        Leslie Daigle
        [Nov-03]
        current
        Status: Review
        1.  (current) Liaison document complements draft baker liaison. Met with Secretariat and Baker to run through two documents – the draft baker document provides a framework – some has been implemented. How to prioritize this activity is an outstanding matter.
        2.  (next) The documents are to be meshed to allow the Secretariat to implement a mechanism to track liaison documents. Awaiting a new revision of the baker document, and the iab document will be revised in accordance with that draft, rflecting what has been agreed on
        3.  (next) Awaiting revised Baker draft

    • Applications issues with NATS
        Jonathan Rosenberg
        [Apr-04]
        current
        Status: drafting

    • Top Level Domain Issues
        Jonathan Rosenberg
        [May-04]
        current
        Status: drafting
        1.  (current) IAB Review: Bernard, Geoff
        2.  (next) Draft publication following IAB clearance

    • Use of DNS RRs in Mail Applications
        Patrik Faltstrom, Rob Austein
        [Jun-04]
        current
        Status: drafting


These minutes were prepared by Geoff Huston; comments should be sent to iab-execd@iab.org. An online copy of these and other minutes is available at: http://www.iab.org/documents/IABmins/

The IAB Web page is at http://www.iab.org