Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2004-07-13

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2004»IAB Minutes 2004-07-13

Minutes
IAB Teleconference

13 July 2004


ATTENDING

    Leslie Daigle — IAB Chair
    Bernard Aboba
    Harald Alvestrand — IETF/IESG Chair
    Rob Austein
    Sally Floyd
    Jun-ichiro Itojun Hagino Geoff Huston
    Eric Rescorla
    Jonathan Rosenberg
    Bert Wijnen — Liaison from the IESG
    Vern Paxson — IRTF Chair
    Joyce Reynolds — Liaison from the RFC Editor

APOLOGIES

    Patrik Faltstrom
    Bob Hinden
    Mark Handley
    Pete Resnick
    Lynn St. Amour — Liaison from ISOC

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS

    IETF 60, Sunday 1 August, 2004

AGENDA

  1. Roll call, Agenda Bash and Previous Minutes
  2. Review of Action Items
  3. Review of Documents
  4. IAB Liaison Reports
  5. Updates from IETF Liaisons
  6. ITU Responses concerning ENUM Instructions
  7. Proposed IPv6 allocation ad hoc IAB advisory committee
  8. Finalizing topics for San Diego meetings
  9. Liaison Reporting to the IAB
  10. Other Regular Business
    1. SECSAC Report
    2. IANA Reverse Delegation
    3. IPv6 ULA drafts
    4. Open Source implementations of *RP functionality

NOTES

  1. Roll call, Agenda Bash and Previous Minutes

  2. Review of Action Items

  3. Review of Documents

  4. IAB Liaison Reports

      IESG
      Rob Austein:, Bert Wijnen:

      • RFC3667 and RFC3668 have some minor issues. Work has commenced to rectify these issues, and publish this as new RFCs as soon as possible.

      • New I-Ds are now required to have new RFC3668 boiler plate, as per announcement:
        http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg00244.html

        Unfortunately this is resulting in some I-Ds not being accepted, and in some cases a clear explanation of the reasons for this action is not being provided to the submitter.


          [Note: This procedure was amended to be effective post IETF60]

      • Mail handling for most IETF hosted mailing lists (including IESG list) is currently experiencing a high delay in redistribution to the list. IESG is monitoring (Bill Fenner) and alerting secretariat about the situation. Some configuration problems have been located and corrected, and further work is underway to implement a mail support configuration which should not experience these delays. The implementation schedule is not yet firm, but should be known soon.

      RFC Editor
      Joyce Reynolds:

      • No items to report.

      IRTF
      Vern Paxson:

      • The Host Identity Protocol Research Group has been chartered.

      • The chair of the Anti-Spam Research Group (John Levine) will give an overview presentation at the San Diego IETF meeting plenary.

      ISOC
      Lynn St Amour:

      • No items to report.

      Administrative Restructuring
      Leslie Daigle:

      • No items to report.

  5. Updates from IETF Liaisons

      ITU-T
      Scott Bradner:

      • No items to report.

      W3C
      Leslie Daigle:

      • No items to report.

      ICANN – TLG
      Geoff Huston, Rob Austein:

      • No items to report

      ICANN – Liaison to the Board
      John Klensin:

      • No items to report.

      RSSAC
      Rob Austein:

      • IANA delegation procedure for IPv6 “glue” RRs in the root zone has been announced. IANA is now looking at the queue of requests for IPv6 glue from TLD managers; barring last minute surprises, first insertion of AAAA RRs into the root zone is expected to occur in the very near future.

      IEEE 802
      Bernard Aboba:

      • The IETF has now completed all documents requested by IEEE 802, with a single exception. A revision of this document is anticipated to address IETF review comments.

      • IEEE 802 has been considering how to address the task of standardization of network selection. It is noted that there have been submissions to the IETF on this topic, and IEEE 802 will be sending a liaison note to the IETF concerning a proposed approach of coordination between IEEE 802 and the IETF on standardization of this function.

      • A detailed liaison report has been filed with the IAB.

  6. ITU Responses concerning ENUM Instructions

    The IAB considered recent ITU-T SG2 liaison statements of May 2004 [Stmt-1,
    Stmt-2] concerning ENUM, and endorsed responses to the outstanding matters such that the IPR statements are filed with the IETF, the current operational management procedures are reaffirmed, and that clarifications regarding instructions to the RIPE NCC are issued in accordance with these procedures.

  7. Proposed IPv6 allocation ad hoc IAB advisory committee

    The IAB agreed to the formation of an ad hoc IAB advisory committee to develop advice to the IAB on matters relating to IPv6.

  8. IETF 60 Arrangements

    The IAB finalized its agenda for IETF 60. Technical topics to be examined are:

    • Identity and IPv6 and Multi6
    • Untangling ALGs, NATs Firewalls, IPv6 transition mechanisms and Application behaviors

    The Thursday IAB session will include:

    • IRTF RG review

    • IAB Security Workshop Revisited

  9. Liaison Reporting to the IAB

    The IAB endorsed adoption of a procedure that will enable all IETF liaisons to report regularly to the IESG and IAB on matters of relevance to the liaison arrangements.

  10. Other Regular Business

    1. SECSAC Report

      The IAB noted the recommendations of the July 2004 ICANN SECSAC report (http://www.icann.org/committees/security/ssac-report-09jul04.pdf)

      The IAB determined that there were no actions arising from this report at this point in time.

    2. IANA Reverse Delegation

      A reminder will be forwarded to the IANA concerning outstanding delegation requests for ip6.arpa

    3. IPv6 ULA drafts

      The IAB considered the implications of the UIPv6 ULA drafts, and requested a group to brief the IAB in terms of the operational and architectural aspects of deployment of this form of address space.

    4. Open Source implementations of *RP functionality

      The IAB proposed to investigate whether there was a process failure in this matter, on the basis that the open source community response to the IAB’s query included the claim that their attempts to obtain a protocol number through the process resulted in no response.

      The IAB will follow up with the IANA and the IESG over the process used and actions taken with the processing of the application for registration of port numbers


IAB ACTIONS and DOCUMENTS

    Actions

    • IDN
        Geoff Huston
        [Feb-03]
        current

        Status: Coordinate preparatory work for a possible IAB ‘virtual’ workshop on IDN and related matters
        •  Compile a list of questions to be addressed in the context of a workshop
        •  Leslie, Patrik and John Klensin to review
        •  Prepare workshop plan for IAB approval
    • OMA Liaison
        Geoff Huston
        [Sep-03]
        current

        Status: Conclude liaison framework document. Draft has been reviewed by liaison team, IETF Legal Council, and has been circulated to IESG and IAB.
        •  Pass proposed liaison document to OMA
    • ID / Locator Architectural Consideration
        Geoff Huston
        [Jan-04]
        current

        Status: Multi6 is working in the context of a small design team to refine wedge layer 3.5 analysis and define requires functions and components. There are architectural implications of this approach that may merit IAB study
        •  Prepare material for IAB technical session at IETF 61. The issues to be covered include the nature of this identity space, its structure and intended level of persistence and associated resolution mechanisms, and implications beyond multi-homing. Consideration of the merits of further IAB study as a major architectural topic in the coming months.
    • IAB Messaging Workshop
        Pete Resnick
        [Apr-04]
        current

        Status: Preparation
        •  Scheduling: late August / Early September; Proposed location: North America
        •  Pre-workshop report tasks being assigned to participants
    • *RP protocol parameter value
        Eric Rescorla, Leslie Daigle, Geoff Huston
        [Apr-04]
        current

        Status: Query the Open Source developers over choice of protocol parameter values for open source versions of redundancy protocol implementation
        •  Undertake review – followup with IANA and IESG over the process used for this application and the outcomes that were reached and the reason for these outcomes
        •  Inform Open Source contact that the IAB is conducting a review of the original application to see if there was a failure of the protocol parameter registration process in this instance.
    • IPv6 Policies
        Geoff Huston, Bob Hinden, Patrik Faltstrom
        [May-04]
        current

        Status: Draft IAB Considerations note on current IPv6 allocation metrics for review by stakeholders
        •  Circulated draft note to IESG, IAB and RIR Liaison for comment and review assistance
        •  Proposed to put this to the ad-hoc IAB advisory committee on IPv6 addressing issues.
    • IRTF Plenary Presentation
        Vern Paxson
        [Jun-04]
        closed

        Status: Propose IRTF Plenary presentation
        •  Presentation on overview of ASRG by John Levine
    • IAB RG Review
        Vern Paxson
        [Jun-04]
        current

        Status: IAB review of IRTF RG status and activity in general to be scheduled for IETF 61
        •  Vern to circulate material prior to IETF
        •  Network Management Review: November
    • ICANN WHOIS TF
        Geoff Huston
        [Jun-04]
        current

        Status: Check with John Klensin whether a note on CRISP activities would be helpful for WHOIS TF efforts

        •  Watching brief on further progress of TF reports within ICANN
    • ENUM Instructions clarification
        Leslie Daigle
        [Jun-04]
        current

        Status: Responses drafted and approved by IAB
        •  Pass liaison notes to ITU-T SG2
        •  Pass proposed addendum of ENUM instructions to ITU-T TSB
        •  Following consultation, issue instructions to RIPE NCC
    • Untangling Activeware and IPv6
        Jonathan Rosenberg, Rob Austein, Bernard Aboba
        [Jun-04]
        current

        Status: Lead IAB technical discussion on topic of the interaction of NATs, ALGs, Firewalls, Application frameworks and IPv6 transition mechanisms

        •  Consider ways of devolving this in a manner that allows productive study of the interactions and inter-dependencies at play here

    Documents

    • A survey of Authentication Mechanisms
      draft-iab-auth-mech-03.txt
        Eric Rescorla
        [Apr-02]
        current
        Status: Revision
        1.  (current) Revise as per comments from IETF call
        2.  (next) RFC Submission
        3.  (next) No forward progress

    • Internationalized Resource Identifiers
      draft-iab-char-rep-01.txt
        Leslie Daigle
        [Nov-02]
        held
        Status: Hold
        1.  (current) Part of IDN workshop agenda

    • IAB Research Agenda
      draft-iab-research-funding-03.txt

        Sally Floyd, Vern Paxson, Ran Atkinson, Mike St Johns, John Crowcroft
        [Jul-02]
        current
        Status: RFC Editor
        1.  (current) Submission to RFC Editor as IAB Informational – 16 May

    • Secure Autoconfiguration in IPv6
        Bernard Aboba
        [Mar-03]
        current
        Status: IAB Review
        1.  (current) Propose to rework current summary as a framework description. Note original problem statement of the range of choices of discovery mechanisms.
        2.  (next) IAB Review: Rob, Bob, Patrik

    • Protocol Models
      draft-iab-model-01.txt
        Eric Rescorla
        [May-03]
        current
        Status: Revision
        1.  (current) IAB Review: Sally (done)
        2.  (next) Incorporate review comments
        3.  (next) IETF Call for Input

    • Internet Identities
      draft-iab-identities-01.txt
        Patrik Faltstrom, Geoff Huston
        [Jul-03]
        current
        Status: Review
        1.  (current) IAB Review: Leslie, Jonathan (done), Sally (done)

    • DOS Attacks
      draft-iab-dos-01.txt
        Mark Handley
        [Sep-03]
        current
        Status: Revision
        1.  (current) IAB Review: Geoff (done), Eric (done)
        2.  (next) Incorporate review comments

    • Liaison Management
      draft-iab-liaison-mgmt-02.txt
        Leslie Daigle
        [Nov-03]
        current
        Status: Review
        1.  (current) Reading List for IETF 60 IAB Business meeting with draft-baker-liaison-statements
        2.  (next) IETF Call for Input

    • Applications issues with NATS
        Jonathan Rosenberg
        [Apr-04]
        current
        Status: Revision
        1.  (current) Incorporate review comments (Sally)
        2.  (next) Include consideration of weakness of ALG as a mechanism for NAT traversal, and consider merits and applicability of other approaches for the application to undertake NAT traversal without using ALG (considerations of explicit application interaction with middleware)

    • Top Level Domain Issues
        Jonathan Rosenberg
        [May-04]
        current
        Status: drafting
        1.  (current) IAB Review: Bernard, Geoff
        2.  (next) Draft publication following IAB clearance

    • Use of DNS RRs in Mail Applications
        Patrik Faltstrom, Rob Austein
        [Jun-04]
        current
        Status: drafting
        1.  (current) draft-ymbk-dns-choices to be resubmitted as IAB draft

These minutes were prepared by Geoff Huston; comments should be sent to iab-execd@iab.org. An online copy of these and other minutes is available at: http://www.iab.org/documents/IABmins/

The IAB Web page is at http://www.iab.org