Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2012-02-29

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2012»IAB Minutes 2012-02-29

Minutes of the 2012-02-29 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes, action items

1.1. Attendance

PRESENT
  • Bernard Aboba (IAB Chair)
  • Jari Arkko (incoming IAB)
  • Mary Barnes (IAB Executive Director)
  • Marc Blanchet (incoming IAB)
  • Ross Callon
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Spencer Dawkins
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Russ Housley (IETF Chair)
  • David Kessens
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Assistant)
  • Andrei Robachevsky
  • Dave Thaler
  • Hannes Tschofenig
GUESTS
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)
APOLOGIES
  • Joel Halpern
  • Olaf Kolkman
  • Danny McPherson
  • Jon Peterson
  • Sean Turner (IESG Liaison)

1.2. Agenda

No agenda items were added.

1.3. Administrivia

No administrative items were discussed.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 22 February 2012 business meeting were approved.

1.5. Action Item Review

Several items from the internal action item list were reviewed.

2. Liaison Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison

Mat briefly introduced his written report.

–Begin ISOC Liaison written report–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
February 21, 2012

Topics:
I. APEC meetings
II. CEPT Com-ITU meeting
III. ITU Study Group 3 Workshop on International Internet Connectivity
IV. IGF-Stocktaking
V. IGF-MAG renewal
VI. WSIS follow-up report to the CSTD
VII. WIPO SCT 26 resumed (1-3 February 2012, Geneva)

I. APEC meetings
Christine Runnegar recently participated in the Electronic Commerce
Steering Group (ECSG), Data Privacy Sub-Group (DPS) and Paperless
Trading Sub-Group (PTS) meetings in Moscow. The DPS is currently
working on the implementation of the APEC Cross-Border Privacy Rules
(CBPR) System endorsed by APEC leaders in 2011. In both the DPS formal
meeting and the ECSG plenary, the Internet Society provided an update
on its privacy activities and highlighted some of the privacy-related
work being undertaken within the IAB, IETF and W3C.

II. CEPT Com-ITU meeting (Biel, 31 January-2 February)
Nicolas Seidler participated in this drafting group meeting where
countries from continental Europe (incl. Russia) try to agree on
common proposals to ITU WCIT, as well as suggestions for WTSA and the
next ITU study period (2013-2016). Topics discussed included numbering
misuse, double taxation, cybersecurity and spam. Many substantial
items are still under discussion, but there is a general agreement
that the ITRs should stay high level and avoid reference to technical
measures. ISOC will participate in upcoming CEPT Com-ITU meetings in
2012.

III. ITU Study Group 3 Workshop on International Internet Connectivity
(23-24 January 2012, Geneva)
Nicolas Seidler (with Michuki Mwangi) produced a report on this
workshop which focused on ways to reduce the cost of interconnection
and Internet access in developing countries, particularly in Africa.
Michuki was a panel speaker and provided a very well-received
perspective on practical solutions to reduce interconnection costs in
Africa, including by the efficient use of Internet exchange points.

IV. IGF-Stocktaking
Markus Kummer and Nicolas Seidler submitted ISOC's contribution to the
IGF Open Consultations (14-16 February 2012), including IGF 2011
stocktaking and suggestions for the agenda and format of the 2012
meeting. The report suggests discussing government actions to protect
online copyright as a main theme for the 2012 IGF.

V. IGF-MAG renewal
Markus Kummer coordinated the selection of new candidates from the
technical community and submitted the proposed names to the IGF
Secretariat. The candidates are: Constance Bommelaer (ISOC) , Baher
Esmat (ICANN), Carolina Aguerre (LACTLD), Wendy Seltzer (W3C), Paul
Wilson (APNIC) and Paul Rendek (RIPE).

VI. WSIS follow-up report to the CSTD
Nicolas Seidler submitted the 2012 contribution from the Internet
Society to the UN CSTD Assessment of the WSIS implementation and
follow-up. Substantial updates were made particularly regarding WSIS
Action Line C4 (capacity building) and C2 (ethical dimensions of the
information society). Our input will be incorporated in a report
presented by the CSTD at its 15th session in May 2012.

VII. WIPO SCT 26 resumed (1-3 February 2012, Geneva)
Nicolas Seidler participated in the concluding day of the resumed 26th
meeting of the WIPO Standing Committee on Trademarks. It was agreed
that WIPO will hold a one-day information meeting on the "role and
responsibility of Internet intermediaries in the field of trademarks"
in October 2012. ISOC made the point that it would be valuable for
participants to be informed on the operation, use and development of
the Internet and to explain the Internet Ecosystem as it relates to
this topic.

–End ISOC Liaison written report–

2.2. IESG Liaison

No IESG Liaison report was submitted.

2.3. RFC Editor Liaison

Heather briefly introduced her written report.

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison written report–

1. RSE
An internal draft to a revised Style Guide is being reviewed and will
be turned in to an I-D for general feedback in early March.  In
addition to using the I-D process for feedback for this and other
efforts, we are working on setting up a wiki to document the different
projects and priorities for the RSE in a more transparent fashion.

The RFC Editor website itself is also undergoing general content
revision, including monthly updates to the News page
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/news.html), an update to the copyright info
page (http://www.rfc-editor.org/copyright.html) and the copyright MIB
info (http://www.rfc-editor.org/policy.html#policy.MIBPIBcopyrights).
A site map for RFC Editor web space is also in progress, due online by
IETF 83.

2. RFC Production Center
The expected surge of documents that occurs around the March IETF is
on schedule, and the editors are keeping the queue under control. See
http://www.rfc-editor.org/CurrQstats.txt for the most current
statistics.

The addition of the part-time editors has been of enormous help in
keeping queue times down, and a proposal is being put together to
extend their time for another quarter, to help with the wrap up of the
March IETF document surge and to free up time for the more senior
editors to assist the RSE with the Style Guide, web site improvements,
and other projects.

3. Announcements
RSOC retreat = March 24
ISEB/RSAG lunch = March 27
BoF regarding RFC format = room requested, no date yet (sometime
during IETF 83)

–End RFC Editor Liaison written report–

2.4. IRTF Chair

Lars briefly introduced his written report.

–Begin IRTF Chair written report–

IRTF Report Feb 2012

Topics:
1. ANRP
2. Virtual Networks Research Group (VNRG)
3. IRTF IPR Disclosure Rules
4. IETF-83

1. ANRP

The ANRP selection committee has decided to move from a nomination/
selection cycle per IETF meeting to a *yearly* nomination/selection
cycle covering all of a year's IETF meetings. This change will not
affect the number of ANRPs awarded (roughly one award per IETF
meeting) and awardees can state a preference as to which IETF meeting
during a given year they'd like to present at.

The nomination/selection cycle for a given year will occur during the
fall of the previous year, ending before the winter holiday period.
This means that for 2013, the nomination/selection cycle will occur
during the fall of 2012, covering all three IETF meetings in 2013.

Consequently, the nomination/award schedule for 2012 will be adjusted
as follows:

- No ANRPs will be awarded for IETF-83 in Paris, due to the holiday
season and short time since the last IETF meeting.

- A nomination/selection cycle to pick awardees for the two remaining
IETF meetings in 2012 (IETF-84 in Vancouver and IETF-85 in Atlanta)
will be held before IETF-84.

I'm currently working with the secretariat to get a hotcrop instance
set up, so we can open nominations for 2012.

2. Virtual Networks Research Group (VNRG)

The VNRG has closed down effective Feb 8, 2012. The chairs decided
that in spite of several attempts to inject some energy into the
group, not enough participation is happening to keep it around.

3. IRTF IPR Disclosure Rules

Until now, the IRTF didn't have a clearly formulated statement of how
IPR is handled by the organization. For the last year, the IRSG has
been discussing this topic with the IETF's legal counsel and other
community members with a deep understanding of the issues.

The result of this discussion is a short statement describing the
IRTF's IPR disclosure rules, which you can find below as well as
online at http://irtf.org/ipr. The short version is: the IRTF follows
the IETF's IPR disclosure rules.

4. IETF-83

The following six RGs will meet at IETF-83:

Network Complexity Research Group (NCRG)
IP Mobility Optimizations Research Group (MOBOPTS)
Delay-Tolerant Networking Research Group (DTNRG)
Internet Congestion Control Research Group (ICCRG)
Scalable Adaptive Multicast Research Group (SAMRG)
Crypto Forum Research Group (CFRG)

In addition, the proponents of a research group proposal on
Information-Centric Networking will hold a side meeting.

Also, the Network Management Research Group (NMRG) will hold a one-day
workshop ("4th Workshop on the Usage of Netflow/IPFIX in Network
Management") on the Saturday after the IETF week, see

https://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/

NetworkManagementResearchGroupAg&LgParis

Because we have no ANRP winners this time, there will not be an IRTF
Open Meeting in Paris.

–End IRTF Chair written report–

The board briefly discussed which IRTF Research Group would be reviewed by the IAB at IETF 83. Lars will check with the NCRG chairs to see if they will be available.

3. IETF 83 Plenary

Bernard reported that Leslie Daigle has been invited to give a brief presentation on World IPv6 Launch.

Hannes reported that the list of speakers for the IETF 83 Plenary panel session has been finalized, and that the speakers will meet via conference call to coordinate their talks. Hannes will send the updated panel description to the board, and Bernard will post the plenary agenda to the IETF 83 meeting materials site.

4. IETF 83 Schedule

Bernard directed the board to the IETF 83 schedule page on the wiki, and asked Program and Initiative leads to start filling in the time slots on the agenda. With the progress recently made on documents, there should now be time for discussion of other topics as well. The board agreed to allocate time for a discussion of DNS filtering.

5. 2012 Retreat Planning

The board agreed that the 2012 IAB retreat would run from 9:00 AM Thursday, 10 May – 3:00 PM Friday, 11 May. There will also be an (optional) dinner on Wednesday, 9 May. The retreat itself will be held at CDT in Washington, DC, and Alissa has reserved a block of rooms at a nearby hotel. Alissa will confirm travel arrangements with everyone at IETF 83, as there are penalties for changing the hotel rooming list after a certain date.

A wiki page has been created for the 2012 retreat; board members were asked to start filling in potential agenda items.

6. IAB Statement on Smart Objects

The board agreed that the IAB Statement on Smart Objects should be handled within the IP Evolution Initiative. Hannes will post the initial version of the draft before the -00 submission deadline on 5 March 2012, and the IP Evolution Initiative will make a recommendation to the board on whether to adopt the draft as an IAB work item at IETF 83.

7. Document Status

7.1. draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2

No update was provided.

7.2. draft-iab-anycast-arch-implications

No update was provided.

7.3. draft-iab-extension-recs

Bernard reported that the 3 comments received to date have been entered into TRAC. The Call for Approval on this document ends 7 March 2012.

7.4. draft-iab-privacy-considerations

Alissa reported that an updated version of draft-iab-privacy-considerations will be posted once she and Hannes confirm that the terminology matches that in draft-iab-privacy-terminology.

7.5. draft-iab-privacy-terminology

Hannes is working on an update to draft-iab-privacy-terminology, to be submitted before the IETF 83 I-D submission deadline.

7.6. draft-iab-dns-applications

Olaf reported via email that he and Jon are working on a revision to draft-iab-dns-applications.

7.7. draft-iab-identifier-comparison

Dave Thaler reported that he is working on an update to draft-iab-identifier-comparison and plans to have it posted before IETF 83.

8. Technical Plenaries

Mary reminded the board that there is a wiki page for future technical plenary topics, and asked the board to think of more potential topics to add to it.

9. Tech Chat Schedule

The board discussed the schedule of upcoming techchats:

  • 7 March 2012: Hannes is working to confirm a speaker, either on technology and regulation, or on the end of POTS.
  • 4 April 2012: Dave Thaler volunteered to give a talk on power and cost issues with protocols.
  • 2 May 2012: The 2 May meeting will be a regular business meeting. The 9 May meeting will be cancelled due to the IAB Retreat.
  • 6 June 2012: Hannes will work to confirm a speaker, either on technology and regulation, or on the end of POTS.
  • 4 July 2012: The 4 July meeting will be cancelled.

10. IAB role in New Work

Spencer reported that he is waiting for the IESG to discuss the current “IAB Member Roles in Evaluating New Work Proposals” text at a formal IESG telechat. Joel (IAB liaison to the IESG) is not able to be present at the IESG meeting on 1 March 2012.

11. ISOC Board of Trustees Appointment

Mary reported that an email list is being set up to discuss the ISOC Board of Trustees appointment.

12. Program/Initiative refresh

In preparation for a more in-depth discussion at the retreat, Bernard asked the board to look at the current Program and Initiative descriptions and look for things that should be updated. Hannes volunteered to update the descriptions of the IP Evolution and HTTP/Web Evolution Initiatives and make a recommendation about whether those Initiatives should become Programs.

13. IAB Chair Selection

Mary reported that an email list is being set up to discuss the IAB Chair selection. The selection will be made on Sunday, 25 March 2012 at IETF 83.

14. Zones under .arpa

The board received an inquiry about statistics for the zones under .arpa. The board discussed a proposed response; Bernard will send the text to the IAB for review before replying to the original inquiry.

15. All Other Business

The board agreed to meet on 7 March (tech chat) and 14 March. The meeting on 21 March 2012 will be cancelled, as people will be traveling to IETF 83.