Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2012-04-25

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2012»IAB Minutes 2012-04-25

Minutes of the 2012-04-25 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

PRESENT
  • Bernard Aboba (IAB Chair)
  • Jari Arkko
  • Mary Barnes (IAB Executive Director)
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Ross Callon
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Spencer Dawkins
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • David Kessens
  • Danny McPherson
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Assistant)
  • Jon Peterson
  • Robert Sparks (IESG Liaison)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Hannes Tschofenig
APOLOGIES
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Russ Housley (IETF Chair)
GUESTS
  • Dan Romascanu

1.2. Agenda

Agenda item 3 was changed from “IANA Evolution Program Update” to “ITU-T Program Update.”

1.3. Administrivia

Several items from the internal action item list were reviewed.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 25 March 2012, 27 March 2012, 29 March 2012 and 11 April 2012 business meetings were approved. The minutes of the 18 April 2012 tech chat and the IETF 83 Technical Plenary remain under review.

2. IEEE-SA Liaison

Dan reported that a face-to-face meeting between the IEEE 802 and IETF leadership has been scheduled for 25 July 2012 in the Bay Area. The agenda, currently a work in progress, will be available here:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/IEEE802andIETFleaders

Dan reported that the IESG is working on a response to a liaison from IEEE 802.1 [https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1153/] on operation and control of MAC bridged networks.

3. ITU-T Program Update

The board agreed to issue an IETF-wide Call for Comment on draft-iab-rfc3356bis-01, ending on 25 May 2012. Bernard will send the announcement to IETF-Announce; Cindy will post the Call for Comment to the IAB website.

4. Liaison Reports

4.1. ISOC Liaison

–Begin ISOC Liaison written report–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
27 April 2012

Topics:
I. Global INET 2012
II. IAB Privacy Program and IAB Emergency Services Initiative
III. W3C Privacy Interest Group
IV. OECD
V. APEC
VI. Kantara Initiative Summit

I. Global INET 2012
The Internet Society celebrated its 20th Anniversary at the Global
INET 2012 conference in Geneva, 22-24 April. Nearly 800 in-person
attendees and many hundreds more remote participants including ISOC
members, Advisory Council members, trustees past and present and many
ISOC staff and their guests spent the three days collectively
celebrating this milestone anniversary, and 'Imagining the Future
Internet'.

The full agenda with links to meeting materials and recordings of the
event is at http://www.internetsociety.org/events/inet-conferences/
global-inet-2012/agenda

The Global INET also inaugurated the Internet Hall of Fame --  the
initial inductees and more information are available here

http://www.internethalloffame.org/

II. IAB Privacy Program and IAB Emergency Services Initiative

Christine Runnegar participated in the IAB Privacy Program and IAB
Emergency Services meetings during IETF83.

III. W3C Privacy Interest Group

The newly formed W3C Privacy Interest Group (PING) (chaired by
Christine Runnegar (ISOC) and Tara Whelan (Office of the Privacy
Commissioner, Canada) held its "kick-off" call on 19 April 2011.
Alissa Cooper gave a very useful introduction to the work being
undertaken in the IAB Privacy Program to develop privacy guidance for
Internet protocol design. While we did not make any formal decisions
on this call, there did seem to be rough consensus that there is value
in the group developing privacy considerations for W3C standards.

IV. OECD

The Internet Society led ITAC's participation in the recent ICCP
meeting (28-29 March 2012) and Markus Kummer gave a presentation on
Internet Governance as part of an expert panel. Christine Runnegar
continues to participate in the WPISP Privacy WG which is assisting
the OECD with its review of the OECD Privacy Guidelines.

V. APEC

The next meeting of the APEC ECSG Data Privacy Sub-Group (DPS) will be
in Kazan, Russia in late May. The Internet Society participates as an
invited guest and has been contributing to the DPS' work on the APEC
Cross-Border Privacy Rules (CBPR) System.

VI. Kantara Initiative Summit

Christine Runnegar attended the Kantara Initiative Summit and the
European Identity & Cloud Conference in Munich (17-19 April 2012). She
gave a presentation on Mapping the Identity Ecosystem: A multi-
national perspective at the Kantara event.

–End ISOC Liaison written report–

4.2. IESG Liaison

Robert briefly introduced his written report.

–Begin IESG Liaison written report–

IESG liaison report (covering Apr 3 to Apr 25):

News you can use
- The IESG confirmed Paul Eggert as the Time Zone Database
  Coordinator

SDO coordination
- The IETF sent a "Response to OMA Enhanced Visual VoiceMail
  (EVVM)" indicating the APPSAWG will adopt the work OMA wished
  to have considered. (see https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1154/)
- Preparations continue for a joint leadership meeting with IEEE
  Jul24/25

Working Groups
  Creation:
  - Charter for WEIRDS is in internal review.
  - Charters for SUNSET4 and NVO3 are in external review.
  Rechartering:
  - none
  Conclusion:
  - FTPEXT2 is concluded

–End IESG Liaison written report–

4.3. RFC Editor Liaison

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison written report–

1. RSE Report
Security incident
On April 5, the RFC website was taken offline as a response to a
security compromise to the site.  Public facing services were down for
approximately 90 minutes, and editor access to their tools for longer
as the staff was taken through an account lock and password change
procedure.  No data was compromised or corrupted during this event.

Report back on IETF 83
Feedback regarding the RFC Format BoF at IETF 83 was extremely
positive. Many thanks go to the presenters, John Levine, Larry
Masinter, Paul Hoffman, Tony Hansen, and Yaakov Stein.  In general,
RFC Format was the most urgent topic raised to the RSE throughout the
week.

Update on Active Projects
Active projects underway include:
* RFC Format (requirement gathering for the RFC Format debate);
* RFC Style Guide (collecting feedback from RSAG and RPC on first
draft);
* updates on RFC Editor website (addition of a site map, more contact
information and general content updates)

Other items of note:
* The proposed "Authors, Editors, and Contributors" policy that would
have added a Contributing Authors option has been withdrawn due to
feedback from the IETF community.

2. RFC Production Center
With the help of the additional part-time editors in the RPC, average
processing times (RFCed time = EDIT + RFC-EDITOR) are low.  The
average RFCed time is 4 weeks.  Additionally, we are currently
publishing more documents than are coming in.

In March, database work results in a new and improved queue page:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/current_queue.php.

3. Announcements
RSE / RFC Production Center F2F: May 3-4

–End RFC Editor Liaison written report–

4.4. IRTF Chair

–Begin IRTF Chair written report–

- We're getting to charter the Information-Centric Networking Research
Group. Chairs are going to be Dirk Kutscher, Börje Ohlman and Dave
Oran. I'm waiting for the irtf.org mailing list to be created and the
subscribers and archives to be migrated from the per-RG list before I
announce the chartering.

- I'm in discussions with the HIPR, P2PRG, MOBOPTS and SAMRG chairs
about the energy levels of their RGs. The P2PRG chairs already have
communicated a plan to conclude the group in the next few months to
the list, and are trying to drum up sufficient energy to finish the
remaining RG drafts by then. The HIPRG will likely follow a similar
approach. The discussions with MOBOPTS and SAMRG are ongoing.

- Together with ISOC, we've opened the call-for-nominations for the
2012 ANRPs: htp://irtf.org/anrp.

–End IRTF Chair written report–

5. IETF-Liaisons Mailing list

RFC 4052 Section 3 describes the communication and reporting responsibilities of liaison managers:

While the requirements will certainly vary depending on the nature of 
the peer organization and the type of joint work being undertaken, 
the general expectations of a liaison manager appointed by the IAB 
are as follows:

- Attend relevant meetings of the peer organization as needed and 
  report back to the appropriate IETF organization any material 
  updates...
- Prepare occasional updates.  The target of these updates (e.g., 
  the IAB, an AD, a WG) will generally be identified upon 
  appointment...
- Communicate and coordinate with other IETF liaison managers and 
  representatives where concerned technical activities overlap.

The board briefly discussed how liaison managers should fulfill these responsibilities, noting that the membership of the ietf-liaisons@ietf.org mailing list has not been kept up to date, and the list has not been active for several years. Spencer agreed to take the issue to the Liaison Oversight Program and come back with a proposal on how liaison managers should handle their communication and reporting responsibilities.

6. IETF 84 Plenary Topic

The board discussed potential plenary topics for IETF 84. One proposal was a plenary on lessons learned from World IPv6 Launch. Several board members expressed concern that many of the recent plenary topics have been about IPv6 and there is risk of audience fatigue. However, Dave Thaler noted that while the focus of World IPv6 Day had been on content providers, World IPv6 Launch would focus more on access providers, so that the content would not necessarily overlap with previous plenaries.

The board discussed whether discussion of World IPv6 Launch could be postponed until the Atlanta meeting. Dave Thaler noted that with World IPv6 Launch only a few weeks before the IETF 84 plenary, waiting until a plenary after IETF 84 to discuss World IPv6 Launch means the topic would lose some of its timeliness.

An alternate proposal on software-defined networking was suggested; Mary agreed to set up a Doodle poll so that board members can choose which topic they prefer for IETF 84.

7. 2012 Retreat Planning

The board reviewed the current draft of the IAB Retreat agenda. Daniel J. Weitzner (Deputy White House CTO for Internet Policy) and Robert McDowell (FCC Commissioner) have both agreed to speak at the Retreat; Alissa asked the board to send potential discussion topics for them to her by the end of the week.

Joel volunteered to work with Dave Thaler on slides for the Program Framework discussion. Spencer agreed to work with Bernard on Programs and Initiatives for 2012.

8. IAB as author

The RFC Editor is in the process of updating the RFC Style Guide and asked for guidance on how to handle “Internet Architecture Board” as an author in IAB RFC headers and boilerplate, and procedures for how the IAB handles and should handle AUTH48. The board discussed several options; this topic will be discussed further via email and at the IAB Retreat.

9. Confidentiality in IAB programs

Spencer sent text about the expectation of confidentiality in IAB Programs out to the board for review. Based on the feedback received via email, Spencer will update the text and send it out to the board again for further comment.

10. IPv6 Privacy Questionnaire

The board discussed the IPv6 Privacy Questionnaire. Mary agreed to set up a mailing list on i1b.org to collect the responses. Once Hannes updates the questionnaire to address review comments from the IP Evolution and Privacy mailing lists, Cindy will post the survey to the IAB website. Once this is done, and Hannes supplies a draft announcement message, Bernard will send the announcement to the IETF-Announce mailing list.

11. Statements

11.1. Request for Comments – OMB Circular A-119

The board briefly discussed the proposed response to the OMB Circular A-119 letter. Comments are due by 9 AM Pacific Time on 30 April, so that IAB approval will be required by Sunday, April 25. Comments can be submitted electronically at:
http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=OMB-2012-0003-0001

Bernard agreed to work with Jorge and Russ to develop a final letter, for review and approval by the IAB over email.

11.2. CA/Browser Forum

The Board did not send feedback to the CA/Browser forum on the proposed reforms to their organization.

11.3. IAB Smart Object Statement

The IAB Smart Object Statement will be discussed at the IAB retreat.

12. Document Status

The status of active IAB documents was reported via email prior to the meeting.

12.1. draft-iab-identifier-comparison

The document has been updated to incorporate Marc’s comments. Dave Thaler is working on another revision to address comments from John Klensin before sending the document out for IAB review.

12.2. draft-iab-extension-recs

The document is expected to be updated shortly.

12.3. draft-iab-privacy-considerations

The document is being merged with draft-iab-privacy-terminology.

12.4. draft-iab-privacy-terminology

The document is being merged with draft-iab-privacy-considerations.

12.5. draft-iab-dns-applications

The document will be updated based on the issues in the tracker.

12.6. draft-iab-anycast-arch-implications

The document will be updated based on the issues in the tracker.

12.7 draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2

While a Request for Publication was sent to the RFC Editor on 25 March, the document did not appear in the RFC Editor Queue. Joel Halpern is investigating. As of 27 April, the issue has been addressed.

12.8 draft-iab-ise-model

This document is in AUTH48, awaiting a response from Nevil Brownlee. Since it references the RFC Editor Model (Version 2) document, it probably makes sense to publish them together.

13. Other Business

There was no other business, and the meeting was adjourned.