Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2012-11-28

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2012»IAB Minutes 2012-11-28

Minutes of the 2012-11-28 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

PRESENT
  • Bernard Aboba (IAB Chair)
  • Jari Arkko
  • Mary Barnes (IAB Executive Director)
  • Ross Callon
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Spencer Dawkins
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • Russ Housley (IETF Chair)
  • David Kessens
  • Danny McPherson
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Assistant)
  • Jon Peterson
  • Robert Sparks (IESG Liaison)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Hannes Tschofenig
APOLOGIES
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
GUESTS
  • Eliot Lear
  • Dan Romascanu

1.2. Administrivia

The board agreed to the following schedule for upcoming meetings:

  • 2012-12-05: Tech Chat & Business Meeting: IDN TLD Variants (Andrew Sullivan)
  • 2012-12-12: Business Meeting
  • 2012-12-19: Business Meeting
  • 2012-12-26: NO MEETING
  • 2013-01-02: NO MEETING
  • 2013-01-09: Tech Chat

Hannes Tschofenig agreed to send a proposal for the 9 January 2013 tech chat to the board for review.

1.3. Action item review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the following business meetings were approved:

  • 10 October 2012
  • 24 October 2012
  • 4 November 2012
  • 6 November 2012
  • 8 November 2012

2. Liaison Updates

2.1. ISOC Liaison

–Begin ISOC Liaison written report–

  Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
  27 November 2012

  Topics:
   I. Briefing panel - Internet Untethered
  II. Internet Technology Matters
  III. World Telecommunications Standardization Assembly 2012 (WTSA)
  IV. Internet Governance Forum
   V. World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
  VI. WSIS Forum

  I. Briefing panel – Internet Untethered
  On November 6, ISOC held a briefing panel session at the IETF meeting 
  venue.  The topic started out focusing on the need to move mobile data 
  networks towards Internet services, but rapidly moved from that to 
  focusing on platform lock-in (iOS, Android, etc). See 
  http://www.internetsociety.org/events/ietf-85 for more details and a 
  recording of the session.

  II. Internet Technology Matters
  We have established a technology-audience specific section of the 
  Internet Society webspace, and are building up social media functions 
  around that.  See "Internet Technology Matters" and blog posts here: 

http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/internet-technology-

  matters.  Social media links are:
	Twitter: https://twitter.com/ISOCtech
	Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InternetTechnologyMatters
	Google+: http://gplus.to/internettechnologymatters
	RSS feed: https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/feed/techmatters.

  III. World Telecommunications Standardization Assembly 2012 (WTSA)
  At the time of writing this report, WTSA was about to conclude the 
  first week of its work. Some of the highlights so far:
    1.   G.8113.1 (MPLS) At the opening plenary, all draft 
    Recommendations (including G.8113.1 and G.8113.2) that were sent to 
    WTSA were approved. The Routing Area received a liaison related to 
    G.8113.1 and IANA has already processed the request and issued a ACh 
    codepoint, as the normative reference to G.8113.1 in draft-betts-
    itu-oam-ach-code-point, which is now RFC6671. 
    2.   New ITU-T Workplan Review Group:  Japan has proposed a new 
    group to focus on strategic review and assignment of the work of the 
    ITU-T (this is of interest to the IETF).  There is some question 
    about the organization of this group, its composition, who it is 
    accountable to, and the extent to which liaison representatives from 
    other SDOs will be included.
    3.   Res.75 WSIS (ITU-T contribution in implementing the outcomes of 
    the World Summit on the Information Society): Linkages to the 
    Council Working Group on International Internet-Related Public 
    Policy Issues is one of the issues under consideration. This group 
    is for governments only. Clearly, an intergovernmental group to 
    address Internet issues is inconsistent with the WSIS Declaration of 
    Principals.  There is significant concern with any expansion in the 
    role of that group, particularly when the documentation for this 
    group is not visible.
    4.  References to ITRs:  a number of proposals specifically 
    reference the future ITRs – this has been very controversial.  The 
    ITU Secretariat has resisted forward-looking references to the ITRs, 
    recognizing that the WTSA can’t reference a forward-looking event.  
    This hasn’t been resolved yet.
    5. IPv6: Concerns have been expressed by developing countries 
    relating to IPv4-IPv6 transition, particularly their lack of skills 
    and expertise in managing the transition.  Arab States raised the 
    issue of allocation of addresses again.  Still unresolved.
    6. Quality of Service:  QoS issues have come up in the context of 
    Res. 40 regarding Regulatory Aspects of the ITU-T work. The 
    discussion is still open, with discussions now focusing on language 
    suggesting taking a longer term approach with further study taking 
    into account studies being carried out in relevant study groups, 
    with the timeline to report to the next WTSA.
    7.  ITU-T Strategic Plan and Collaboration with other groups 
    (including SDOs): There is a significant question on how to 
    reconcile the need for the ITU-T to collaborate with others and the 
    desire by some for ITU pre-eminence (a subtext to the discussion).   
    Delegations are still debating terminology about:
    - Duplication of efforts
    - Mechanisms for collaboration
    - Minimization of conflict and overlap of standards and standards 
      activities
    - Cooperation on an “equal footing”
    8. Other issues that have been tabled include:
    Net neutrality:  proposal to include net neutrality in Study Group 2
    Cybersecurity: how to include cybersecurity throughout SG 
    activities.  Possible ITU-T activities on CERTs
    Combatting Spam: role of ITU-T
    ITU mark / conformance & interoperability – no consensus yet

  IV. Internet Governance Forum
  The 7th Internet Governance Forum (IGF) was held in Baku, Azerbaijan 
  from 5 to 9 November. It gathered over 1500 participants from 128 
  countries, including a significant number of Ministers and senior 
  officials. There was a heavy emphasis on human rights and the human 
  rights record of the host country. The reaction of local bloggers and 
  human rights activists validated the choice of the host country. They 
  made it clear that they welcomed holding the IGF meeting in Baku, as 
  it gave them a platform to make their voice heard.

  The Internet Society's community was actively engaged and visible at 
  the event. The complete list of ISOC activities and speaking roles in 
  Baku is available here: 

http://www.internetsociety.org/igf/2012-internet-governance-forum/igf-2012-activities-list

  Human Rights was one of the central and cross-cutting themes discussed 
  this year, with an impressive figure of more than 30 sessions making 
  reference to human rights related issues. The wealth of discussions 
  and the diversity of actors involved in the debates that took place in 
  Baku illustrated an important shift towards considering human rights 
  and their online dimension as a multi-stakeholder issue, requiring a 
  strong cooperation among all relevant actors, including the technical 
  community. Perhaps one of the most striking takeaways from this IGF 
  was to hear from local bloggers and human rights activists about the 
  value of the IGF as a space empowering them with the ability to speak 
  freely and share ideas and opinions in their own country, for example 
  shedding light on local freedom of speech issues. This provides an 
  interesting local perspective on the validity of the IGF model as a 
  framework to foster open discussions, even in countries where online 
  and offline freedoms are being challenged.

  WCIT was also a key undercurrent in many of the IGF workshops and 
  sessions as WCIT will start on December 2nd with the potential 
  outcomes having an impact on the Internet and its open functionality. 
  Questions were raised in these sessions regarding the role of Internet 
  Governance and the Internet in a treaty that focuses on global 
  telecommunications. ISOC co-organized a workshop on the ITRs, WCIT and 
  Internet Governance, which generated an engaged debate among the 
  panelists and participants on the need to revisit the 1988 treaty text 
  that some felt encouraged the Internet’s innovation, the elements of a 
  global telecommunications network and the Internet that should be 
  considered in the new treaty, as well as the role of transparency with 
  governments, the private sector and civil society in support of multi-
  stakeholder involvement.  Key conclusions were that the ITRs should be 
  high level, technology neutral principles based closely on the 1988 
  treaty text.

  Intellectual Property and capacity building were other strong thematic 
  areas. The Internet Society was responsible for two workshops relating 
  to intellectual property - one on Intellectual Property Enforcement 
  mechanisms, co-organized with the Center for Democracy and Technology 
  (CDT) and the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). Following the 
  IGF's mandate for true multi-stakeholder discussions, the panels 
  touched upon issues relating to intellectual property enforcement 
  mechanisms currently in place and their impact upon Internet 
  technologies and fundamental values. The idea of freedom - freedom of 
  expression, freedom of information and freedom of speech - was key in 
  all discussions about digital content as was the need for more 
  balanced intellectual property protection. Additionally, the dangers 
  of using Internet platforms to enforce intellectual property rights 
  was one of the issues that participants considered real with 
  discussions focusing on the lessons the Internet community should 
  learn from legislation such as SOPA, PIPA and ACTA. Finally, on the 
  issue of capacity building, the idea that we should consider capacity 
  building as referring to both the Internet technical infrastructure as 
  well as its social dimension, was heavily promoted by the workshop 
  participants.

  Enhanced Cooperation was another central piece of the debate. A pre-
  event co-organized by ISOC, ICC BASIS and APC enabled a frank and 
  constructive dialogue on enhanced cooperation in Internet Governance. 
  While ISOC and others favored the dialogue to go forward in the 
  framework of the IGF, others wanted to set up a dedicated working 
  group to discuss this issue. A complete report on this event will soon 
  be made available.

  Participants also discussed what is "the way forward” for the global 
  Internet community and for the IGF? We are also two years away from 
  the WSIS+10, the ten-year review of the World Summit on the 
  Information Society (WSIS), which of course will have implications for 
  the future of the IGF.

  The 2013 IGF meeting will be held in Bali (proposed dates are 21-25 
  October).

  V. World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
  The 25th session of the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related 
  Rights (SCCR) at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) 
  took place from November 19-23 in Geneva. Konstantinos Komaitis 
  participated and delivered a statement on the need for a Treaty on the 
  limitations and exceptions of Visually Impaired Persons/Persons with 
  Print Disabilities. The Internet Society was among the few 
  organizations who delivered a statement on the issue, stressing the 
  importance of accessibility for all and in particular for vulnerable 
  communities.

  VI. WSIS Forum
  The first preparatory meeting for the 2013 WSIS Forum was held in 
  Geneva on 30 November. Markus Kummer and Nicolas Seidler attended the 
  meeting. The WSIS Forum will be held on 13-17 May 2013 at the ITU. 
  Several segments will be dedicated to the WSIS+10 review process. A 
  Ministerial roundtable will be held on 14 May. The 2013 WTPF and 
  presumably also the IGF Open Consultations/MAG will be held during the
  same week as the WSIS Forum.

–End ISOC Liaison written report–

2.2. IESG Liaison

–Begin IESG Liaison written report–

  IESG liaison report (covering Oct 11 to Nov 27):

  Working Groups:

   Creation:
   - There were no WGs created (and no new charters placed into review 
     for approval) during this reporting interval
   Rechartering:
   - A revised charter for Radius Extensions (radext) is in internal 
     review
   - Revised charters for the following working groups were approved:
     * Operations and Management Area Working Group (opsawg)
     * Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (bfd)
   Conclusion:
   - Address Resolution for Massive numbers of hosts in the Data center 
     (armd)
   - Authority-to-Citizen Alert (atoca)
   - Speech Services Control (speechsc)
   - vCard and CardDAV (vcarddav)
   - Sieve Mail Filtering Language (sieve)
   - Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (dccp)

  SDO Coordination:

   * ITU-T gave formal approval to G.8113.1 at the WTSA meeting in 
     Dubai. The RFC Editor and the IANA worked quickly to assign the 
     necessary code point and publish RFC 6671 within the week so that 
     we were able to send them a liaison completing the process while 
     WTSA was still meeting.

   * The IETF Chair gave a short presentation on collaboration among 
     standards development organizations at the Global Standards 
     Symposium in Dubai, UAE.
     <http://www.internetsociety.org/doc/remarks-global-standards-symposium-2012>

   * Please also see <http://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/>

–End IESG Liaison written report–

2.3. RFC Editor Liaison

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison written report–

  1. RSE Report

  Update on Active Projects
  * RFC Format
    draft-rfc-format-flanagan-02.txt has been posted, capturing input 
    from the IETF 85 BoF, comments on the rfc-interest list, and 
    discussions with the RPC.  The next steps will include requesting 
    approval from the IAB for the publication of this I-D, writing up 
    the decision regarding RFC Format, and creating a work plan to 
    handle any necessary changes to the tools associated with RFC 
    production.

  * RFC Style Guide
    Work on the Style Guide has slowed down while most of the attention 
    is on coming to an informed decision on the RFC Format issue.  
    Efforts around the Style Guide will pick back up in January 2013.

  Other items of note:
  * RFC 6671 "Allocation of a Generic Associated Channel Type for ITU-T
    MPLS Transport Profile Operation, Maintenance, and Administration
    (MPLS-TP OAM)" was published.

  Elliot Lear and Adrian Farrel very helpful; kept the RFC Editor 
  informed about all out-of-the-ordinary circumstances and goal dates 
  for publication.

  2. RFC Production Center

  New Search page in beta
  * A new search page was released in beta-test mode at IETF 85.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php

  SLA and Stats
  October SLA times:
  25% total docs published in fewer than 30 business days we met the SLA 
  at 38%

  Many clusters were cleared during October.  With those completed, we 
  expect the November SLA number to improve.  

  Average Time in RFC Editor-controlled states for docs in queue (as of 
  27 November): 3 weeks
  22 docs in EDIT
  8 docs in RFC-EDITOR
  20 docs in AUTH48
  3 docs in AUTH48-DONE

–End RFC Editor Liaison written report–

The IAB agreed to adopt draft-rfc-format-flanagan as an IAB document. Heather Flanagan will update the document to address outstanding issues and resubmit it as draft-iab-rfc-format.

3. IETF/IEEE 802

3.1. IETF/IEEE Meeting at IETF 86

Dan Romascanu reported that the draft minutes of the 29 October 2012 teleconference between the IETF and IEEE 802 have been posted for review, and that the next teleconference is scheduled for 17 December 2012. Preparations are underway for a face-to-face meeting in Orlando following IETF 86 on Saturday, 16 March 2013, which will run from 8 AM to 5 PM.

Russ Housley is working with Glenn Parsons to schedule a presentation on the proposed IEEE 802 RAC OUI tier restructuring. Dan Romascanu is working with the IEEE 802.1 Working Group for a potential EDU session on the 802.1Q architecture, to be held at IETF 86.

3.2. RFC 4441rev

Spencer Dawkins reported that work on draft-dawkins-iab-rfc4441rev is progressing, with more details being added on the IEEE 802 side. The document should be ready for IAB Call for Adoption in the near future.

3.3. IEEE RAC OUI tiers proposal

Dave Thaler reported that he has exchanged email with Glenn Parsons about the proposed IEEE 802 RAC OUI tier restructuring and the potential impact on IETF protocols, and members of the IP Directorate are also responding. Ross Callon noted that this might be a useful topic for discussion in a Routing Area meeting, or potentially at an IETF plenary. Glenn previously presented the topic in the Internet Area meeting at IETF 84. The board agreed to discuss this topic further at a future meeting.

4. Global Standards Symposium (GSS)

Russ Housley reported he presented at the Global Standards Symposium in Dubai on 19 November 2012. Russ sent an email to the IETF-Announce list with links to his presentation [http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg10929.html].

5. World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly (WTSA)

Eliot Lear provided a brief overview of events at the World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly to date.

–Begin Slide Deck–

  Slide 1: WTSA 2012 Update

    Eliot Lear
    IETF Liaison Manager

  Slide 2: The Delegation

  - Sally Wentworth (HD)
  - Karen Mulberry, Andrei Robachevsky, Leslie Daigle (ISOC)
  - Eliot Lear (LM)

  Slide 3: Issues for the IETF / IAB

  - G.8113.1 / G.8113.2
  - Y.2770 – DPI Requirements
  - G.9980
  - Overall Relationship
    + Resolutions J-1 and Can-1
    + Recommendation A.5 changes
    + JCA-178
  - Internet Architecture
    + Resolution 64, SG11 and IPv6 addresses
    + Numbering
    + SDNs

  Slide 4: G.9980

    Remote management of CPE over broadband networks - CPE WAN 
    Management Protocol (CWMP)

    "Any protocol describing remote configuration or software-/firmware 
    modification of CPEs must provide the capabilities to comply with 
    all applicable national and regional laws, regulations and policies. 
    The implementation of mechanisms to ensure the explicit endorsement 
    of the customer by means of opt-in permissions before remotely 
    initiating any procedures on the CPE may be required by some 
    specific national and regional laws, regulations and policies. 
    Implementers and users of the described CWMP shall comply with all 
    applicable national and regional laws, regulations and policies.

    Implementers and users of all ITU-T Recommendations, including Rec. 
    ITU-T G.9980 and the underlying techniques, shall comply with all 
    applicable national and regional laws, regulations and policies."

  Slide 5: Res 64

  - IP address studies mostly pushed to SGs 2 and 3
  - Continues collaboration between TSB, BDT, and others (including 
    private sector and RIRs)
  - Open issue on whether the TSB will be charged pursue becoming an RIR

  Slide 6: Overall Relationship

  - Resolution Can-1 (not yet approved)
    + Sets up a process to be managed by TSAG for improving ITU 
      collaboration with other organizations
  - Resolution J-1 (Approved)
    + Creates a strategic review committee with an eye toward making 
      recommendations to plenipotentiary and next WTSA
    + Contains a clause about other SDOs avoiding conflict with the ITU-
      T but not the other way around
  - Recommendation A.5 Reference Changes (Not yet approved)
    + Encourages incorporation of actual text form external documents
    + Requires permission for such incorporation
    + Absent that permission requires consensus for external reference
  - Creation of JCA on PP178 / Internet Issues (Approved)
    + Discusses ways and means on coordinating Internet issues within 
      the ITU-T and with others
    + Reports to TSAG
    + Responsive to Plenipotentiary Resolution 178
    + Least decisional

  Slide 7: Proposed A.5 change

    An applicable prior written statement may be used instead. Should 
    the organization decline to provide such statement or failed doing 
    this, the incorporation shall not be made. In this case the decision 
    to incorporate the reference instead of the text must be made by 
    consensus.

  Slide 8: Key Issues

  - Continued MPLS work in the ITU-T
    + Linear Protection is on its way
  - Participation in the review committee, given terms of reference
  - IETF Trust should review new A.5 text and propose any necessary 
    adjustments
  - I* coordination to cover SGs 2 and 3 for IPv6
  - IETF must carefully watch SG11

–End Slide Deck–

6. IETF 86 Plenary

The board agreed on “The end of POTS” as the technical topic for the IETF 86 plenary. Hannes Tschofenig agreed to coordinate the technical plenary from the IAB side.

7. Proposed Liaison to ISO

Russ Housley agreed to send updated text on the proposed liaison from from IAB and IESG to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 to the IAB-vote list for review, and a subsequent e-vote. The liaison will be approved by both the IAB and the IESG before it is sent.

8. Congestion Control Workshop Report

Hannes Tschofenig reported that work on the Congestion Control Workshop Report is nearing completion. The board agreed that Hannes would submit the next version of the report as draft-iab-cc-workshop.

9. Secure Call Origin

Alissa Cooper reported that she has drafted a memo on Secure Call Origin Authentication. The memo may be adapted into an IAB statement or document at some point in the future. Sally Wentworth of ISOC has expressed interest in the memo (now posted as draft-cooper-iab-secure-origin).

10. Program Membership refresh

Jari Arkko reported that Brian Carpenter will be stepping down from the IP Evolution Program, and asked the IAB to think about potential candidates to replace him.

11. Retreat Dates/Location

The board briefly discussed potential dates and locations for the 2013
IAB Retreat. The IAOC retreat has been scheduled for May 7-8, 2013,
with the location still TBD. Russ Housley noted that the amount of
topics of joint relevance to the IAB and the IESG has increased
recently, and it would be beneficial if the retreats could be
scheduled so as to allow one day with a joint session between the
IAB and the IESG. The IAB will discuss this topic further at a
future meeting.

12. Document Status

Mary Barnes reported on the current status of IAB documents via email prior to the meeting.

12.1. draft-iab-identifier-comparison

The IAB Last Call on draft-iab-identifier-comparison completed on 8 November 2012; two open issues remain.

12.2. draft-iab-privacy-considerations

The IAB Last Call on draft-iab-privacy-considerations completed on 8 November 2012; nine open issues remain.

12.3. draft-iab-dns-applications

The IETF Call for Comments on draft-iab-dns-applications closed on 16 August 2012, and an updated document was submitted on 22 October. Sixteen open issues remain in the tracker, including three sets of comments received during the IETF Call for Comments period.

12.4. draft-iab-anycast-arch-implications

An updated version of draft-iab-anycast-arch-implications was submitted just before the meeting. Dave Thaler agreed to review the most recent version to see if his comments have been addressed; if so, the document should be ready for IAB Last call.

12.5. draft-iab-dns-zone-codepoint-pples

The IETF Call for Comments on draft-iab-dns-zone-codepoint-pples closed on 30 September 2012. An updated version of the document will be posted shortly; however, the changes to the document are substantial enough that the document will need to go through IAB Last Call again after being posted..

12.6. draft-iab-filtering-considerations

There are currently 6 open issues on draft-iab-filtering-considerations that need to be addressed.

12.7. draft-iab-modern-paradigm

The IETF Call for Comments on draft-iab-modern-paradigm completed on 1 November 2012. Russ has closed the four issues that were raised during the Call for Comments as “won’t fix”. The IAB will review the issues and next steps on this document at a future meeting.

12.8. draft-tschofenig-smart-object-architecture

The IAB Call for Adoption on draft-tschofenig-smart-object-architecture completed on 8 November 2012. Four issues are currently open from the Call. The draft will be resubmitted as draft-iab-smart-object-architecture once the issues are closed.

12.9. draft-rfc-format-flanagan

The IAB agreed to adopt draft-rfc-format-flanagan as an IAB-stream document. Heather will repost the document as draft-iab-rfc-format once the outstanding issues have been addressed.

13. Executive Session

13.1. IAOC appointment

Liaisons and guests were asked to leave the call, and the board discussed the IAB appointment to the IAOC in an executive sessions.

13.2. ICANN appointment

Discussion of the IAB appointment to the ICANN NomCom was deferred to a later meeting due to time constraints.