Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2012-12-19

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2012»IAB Minutes 2012-12-19

Minutes of the 2012-12-19 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

PRESENT
  • Bernard Aboba (IAB Chair)
  • Jari Arkko
  • Mary Barnes (IAB Executive Director)
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Ross Callon
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Spencer Dawkins
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • Russ Housley (IETF Chair)
  • David Kessens
  • Danny McPherson
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Assistant)
  • Jon Peterson
  • Robert Sparks (IESG Liaison)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Hannes Tschofenig
GUESTS
  • Eliot Lear

1.2. Administrivia

The board briefly discussed the date for the IETF 86 BOF Coordination Call, which has been scheduled for January 31, 2013.

1.3. Action item review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 12 December 2012 business meeting remain under review.

2. World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT)

Mary Barnes noted that the DC chapter of the Internet Society hosted a WCIT post-mortem panel discussion [archive: http://livestre.am/4grV1]. Other informative links include:

The board agreed to invite Sally Wentworth to an IAB meeting in January to discuss the outcomes from WCIT.

3. ITU-T Update

Eliot Lear provided the IAB with a brief update of the ITU-T WTSA meeting that took place prior to WCIT. Eliot highlighted several hot topics from the meeting:

  1. A strategic review committee was chartered to, amongst other things, “identify ways and means to enhance cooperation with standard bodies with a view to minimize conflict of their standards with ITU-T standards.”
  2. Russia proposed limiting external references, and encouraged incorporation of actual text, where external normative references must receive consensus to be included.
  3. A new resolution to improve collaboration with other standards organizations was approved; however, the means for improving that collaboration have not yet been decided and will likely be a topic at future TSAG meetings.
  4. An IPv6 test specification was listed as potential work item in SG11.
  5. IPv4 address scarcity and monetization.

Eliot requested agenda time at an IAB meeting in January to further discuss more specific recommendations relating to IETF-ITU-T Coordination.

4. Liaison updates

4.1. ISOC Liaison

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
18 December 2012

Topics:
  I. World IPv6 Launch network operator statistics
 II. Bandwidth management roundtable report published and promoted 
III. Council of Europe
 IV. W3C & W3C Privacy Internet Group (PING)
  V. Human Rights Day 2012 (10 December)
 VI. INET Qatar, 27 November
VII. Global Standards Symposium, 19 November
VIII. WTSA, 20-29 November
 IX. WCIT, 3-14 December

I. World IPv6 Launch network operator statistics
Updated IPv6 network operator stats have been published 
(http://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/) for November but owing to 
a change in the way one of the measurers processes their data the number 
of measureable operators has dropped from the previous month. Operators 
that remain measureable show increasing levels of IPv6 deployment.

II. Bandwidth Management roundtable report published and promoted
Building on an earlier briefing panel and associated report into the 
evolving landscape of Internet bandwidth, the Internet Society convened 
an invitational roundtable meeting of network operators, technologists, 
researchers and public policy experts with an interest in broadband 
regulation and deployment. This report documents the Internet Society 
Technology Roundtable meeting on the topic of bandwidth management that 
took place on October 11th and 12th 2012 in London, England: 

http://www.internetsociety.org/doc/bandwidth-management-internet-

society-technology-roundtable-series .

III. Council of Europe
The Internet Society  has been granted observer status in two of the 
Council’s Committees and participated actively in their work 
(Strasbourg, 27-30 November 2012). The Internet Society was warmly 
welcomed in both Committees and the contributions were received very 
positively by the delegates.

In the Steering Committee on Media and Information Society (CDMSI) ISOC 
was represented by Konstantinos Komaitis and Nicolas Seidler. This 
meeting provided the opportunity to present the ISOC position in various 
areas of Internet governance, especially those of digital content and 
human rights. Both Nicolas and Konstantinos promoted and emphasized the 
need for the Council to consider Internet technology standards as an 
additional guide to its mandate to promote governmental standards.

In the Consultative Committee of the Convention for the Protection of 
Individuals with regard to Automatic Processing of Personal Data 
(Convention No. 108), otherwise known as T-PD, the Internet Society was 
represented by Robin Wilton and Christine Runnegar. Robin and Christine 
joined the line-by-line work on the proposed revisions to Convention No. 
108, where they helped with both substance and form. Significantly, the 
T-PD finalized the revisions and agreed to transmit them to the 
Committee of Ministers. This is an important step forward in the 
modernization of Convention 108. During the plenary, they also gave an 
update on some of the Internet Society's recent privacy activities.   

IV. W3C & W3C Privacy Internet Group (PING)
Christine Runnegar participated in the W3C Do Not Track and Beyond 
workshop (26-27 November 2012). The purpose of the workshop was to 
discuss the W3C's next steps in the area of tracking protection and Web 
privacy. Christine and her W3C Privacy Interest Group (PING) co-chair, 
Tara Whalen, introduced and led a discussion on "How should we chart our 
future work for privacy, standards and the Web?". This included 
consideration of: what privacy guidance would be useful and to whom; how 
to approach privacy reviews of W3C standards; a proposal to develop a 
paper on fingerprinting, and; a proposal to develop Privacy 
Specification Assessment criteria for W3C standards.

This month's W3C PING teleconference was held on 6 December 2012. Of 
particular note was the report provided by Trent Adams (now at PayPal) 
regarding the follow-up he undertook on behalf of PING to help the 
chairs of the WebAppSec WG address privacy concerns regarding the draft 
Content Security Policy specification raised by a W3C participant. This 
is a concrete example of the value that PING provides to the development 
of W3C standards. PING has also been invited to conduct a privacy review 
of the Proximity API specification, and has started work on a document 
to describe fingerprinting and provide guidance to standards developers.

V. Human Rights Day 2012 (10 December)
The Internet Society celebrated  the international Human Rights Day 
which focused on inclusion and the right to participate in public life. 
The outputs, coordinated by Nicolas Seidler,  included a brand new ISOC 
webpage dedicated to this day <http://tinyurl.com/ck6hbrw>, a blog post 
reflecting on the relationship between the Internet and the right to 
participate <http://tinyurl.com/c2munme>, a press release 
<http:// tinyurl.com/bvhlqjw>, engagement with Chapters and with our broader 
community, as well as a Thunderclap campaign <http://tinyurl.com/ cnv3x9f> 
exceeding expectations (currently 133% of goal supported in 
less than three days).

The Internet Society also released a discussion paper that looks 
specifically at the fundamental protocols that make the Internet a 
success, its standards development processes and other key protocols, 
and how these align with the processes by which human rights standards 
are developed. Building on the core belief that the Internet's DNA 
enables fundamental rights such as freedom of expression, this paper 
draws parallels and differences that aim at fostering a dialogue between 
human rights activists, policy makers and the Internet technical 
community. Feedback and discussion on the paper's concepts will 
contribute to a further revision of the paper in 2013: 

http://www.internetsociety.org/humanrightsandprotocols

VI. INET Qatar, 27 November
The first INET organized by ISOC in the Gulf region was held in Doha, on 
27 November. The event gathered around 300 participants and was held at 
Carnegie Melon University Qatar. Constance Bommelaer was responsible for 
developing the partnership with the university and organized all the 
sessions. The discussions were well covered by the press; she was 
interviewed along with Dawit Bekele by the BBC and Doha News. Constance 
also put together a closed briefing session, on 28 November, on Internet 
Governance for ICT Qatar managers participating in the ITU WCIT 
conference.

VII. Global Standards Symposium, 19 November
Russ Housley, IETF Chair, participated on the Standards Collaboration 
panel which covered the collaboration between the ITU-T and other fora 
as well as provided a platform to present the OpenStand principles.  
Also attending were Leslie Daigle, Sally Wentworth, Karen Mulberry and 
Andrei Robachevsky. ISOC helped to arrange two bilateral meetings with 
the Heads of Delegation to WTSA from Japan and Korea that focussed on 
OpenStand and the IETF’s role in the standards environment. The outcome 
of each meeting was a very positive understanding of the value that IETF 
and the Internet technical community provide.

VIII. WTSA, 20-29 November
Participating at WTSA on the ISOC delegation were Sally Wentworth, Karen 
Mulberry, Leslie Daigle, Andrei Robachevsky and Eliot Lear.
·      ITU-T Y.2770, Requirements for Deep Packet Inspection in Next 
Generation Networks from SG13 was approved along with the two MPLS 
Recommendations from SG15.  The IETF confirmation of the code point 
assignment was acknowledged in closing Plenary.
·      Cybersecurity Resolution was revised. Security work will continue 
in the ITU-T; there are several references to working collaboratively 
with other groups with expertise.
·      Numbering Resolutions on misuse, alternative calling and calling 
line identification have been revised with a focus on VoIP fraud and 
leveraging misuse to capture settlements from IP networks.  In addition 
both SG2 and SG3 have been called upon to determine the role of a hub 
and the settlement process.
·      Spam was discussed extensively and there will be an ITU-T study 
conducted to capture data on volume, types, and features of spam to help 
identify routes, and sources to determine actions necessary to stop 
spam.
·      Internet Study Group - Resolution 178 on ITU role in organizing 
the work on technical aspects of telecommunication networks to support 
the Internet will become a Joint Coordination Activity (JCA) to 
facilitate work within the ITU-T as well as with other industry fora.  
However there is also still a possibility that the JCA will become a 
Working Party of TSAG.
·      The number of ITU-T Study Groups will remain at 10, with the 
creation of two new TSAG Advisory Committees one to focus on a T Sector 
strategic plan and the other will review and expedite new work projects.   
Several other groups will also continue into the new study period such 
as M2M, Cloud Computing, and SDN.

IX. WCIT, 3-14 December
Attending were Lynn St. Amour, Walda Roseman, Markus Kummer, Leslie 
Daigle, Sally Wentworth, Karen Mulberry, Mat Ford and Sebastian 
Bellagamba. Michuki Mwangi was also present as a member of the Kenyan 
delegation.  A summary of some of the key issues resulting from the two-
week long treaty conference is here: 
http://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2012/12/friday-december-14th and the 
press release issued to mark the conclusion of the conference is here: 

http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-disappointed-over-

fundamental-divides-world-conference-international

–End ISOC Liaison Report–

4.2. IESG Liaison

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Robert Sparks–

IESG liaison report (covering Nov 28 to Dec 18):

Working Groups:
 Creation:
   - none
 Rechartering:
   - Revised charters were approved for
        Radius Extensions (radext)
        IP Security Maintenance and Extensions (ipsecme)
   - A revised charter for Sunsetting IPv4 (sunset4) is in internal 
     review
 Conclusion:
   - none

SDO Coordination:
 - A response to liaison 1181 ("Liaison to IETF on Diffie-Hellman Group 
   Repository") was approved and will be issued soon.
 - Please also see <http://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/>

–End IESG Liaison Report–

4.3. RFC Editor Liaison

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

1. RSE Report

Update on Active Projects
* RFC Format
 draft-iab-rfcformatreq-00 has been posted and further input received
from the public via rfc-interest and from RSOC and IAB members. Another
revision is expected by early January.
* RFC Style Guide
 Work on the Style Guide has slowed down while most of the attention is
on coming to an informed decision on the RFC Format issue.  Efforts
around the Style Guide will pick back up in January 2013.

Other items of note:
* The RSE and the RFC Production Center are having a face to face
meeting at the end of January 2013 to review 2012 anddiscuss upcoming
plans for 2013, 2014.

2. RFC Production Center
New Subpoena request
* The RPC is closing the year with a new subpoena request involving
several RFCs.

New Search page in beta
* The new search page has been announced on rfc-interest and several
useful comments received.  Further updates are being made and will be
rolled out in early 2013.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php

Happy Holidays!
* The RPC/Publisher will be on holiday next week, and will be checking
the rfc-ed mailbox for urgent issues.

SLA and Stats
November SLA times:
55% total docs published in fewer than 30 business days
we met the SLA at 84%

Average Time in RFC Editor-controlled states for docs in queue (as of 19
December): 2.9 weeks
14 docs in EDIT
19 docs in RFC-EDITOR
6 docs in AUTH48

–End RFC Editor Report–

4.4. IRTF Chair

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

- ANRP 2013 reviews are ongoing. 37 nominations were received.

- RG chairs are having issues using the IETF datatracker extensions for 
  chairs. Ticket has been filed in May 2012. No activity since.

- Folks are proposing a new RG on network coding. The discussion list is 
  at nwcrg@irtf.org. A wiki is at
  http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/nwcrg. I'm somewhat 
  concerned that the text under "NWC Practical Application and 
  Standardization Path" is 5x the length of the text under "NWC 
  Research", but it's a first draft, I guess.

- The last document of the P2PRG just went to the RFC Editor, and the RG 
  will close after it has been published.

- The ICCRG mailing list has been migrated to irtf.org. It was the last 
  RG list not hosted by us.

–End IRTF Chair Report–

5. IETF/IEEE 802

5.1. IEEE RAC OUI tiers proposal

Russ Housley reported that Glenn Parsons has agreed to submit an internet-draft on the IEEE RAC OUI tiers proposal prior to IETF 86 in order to provide additional context for his presentation in the Technical Plenary.

5.2. IETF/IEEE Coordination Update

Spencer Dawkins requested that an “IAB Call for Adoption” be issued for draft-dawkins-iab-rfc4441rev once the -02 version is posted.

The coordination team plans to hold another conference call in early February, and will meet face-to-face in Orlando on 16 March 2013.

There is ongoing discussion about where the minutes and proceedings of the coordination meetings should be housed long-term (i.e., on the IAB website or on the IESG website). Robert Sparks agreed to ask the IESG their opinion and report back to the IAB.

6. IGRFC

It was previously reported that content from IAB and IETF websites is being loaded in an iframe on IGRFC sites:

  • http://igrfc.org/ loads content from http://www.iab.org
  • http://igrfc.net/ loads content from http://www.ietf.org/iesg/
  • http://igrfc.com/ loads content from http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/index.html

Additionally, http://igrfc.net/ loads content from Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_standard]).

After discussion in the IESG and the IAB, Russ Housley agreed to send an email to the IETF Trust asking IGRFC to stop loading IAB/IETF content on their sites.

7. IAB Chair Selection Guidelines

After discussion, David Kessens agreed to draft updated text for the IAB Chair selection guidelines. An IAB vote on the guidelines will occur via email.

8. IETF 86 Plenary update

Jon Peterson reported that Henning Schulzrinne, CTO of the FCC, has agreed to speak at the IETF 86 Technical Plenary on “The End of POTS”. A conference call has been scheduled for Thursday, December 20 to discuss the plenary session further. Henning, Hannes, Jon, Bernard and Richard Shockey are expected to attend.

9. January 9 Tech Chat Update

Hannes Tschofenig reported that Jesse Sowell has confirmed his availability for the tech chat on organizational structures for internet operations and security scheduled for 9 January 2013.

10. IP Evolution Program Membership Update

Jari Arkko previously reported that Brian Carpenter will be stepping down from the IP Evolution Program. The Program has a list of several candidates to replace him; they will discuss this further in the Program and come back to the IAB with a proposal.

11. Document Status

11.1. draft-iab-dns-zone-codepoint-pples

The board agreed to send draft-iab-dns-zone-codepoint-pples out for a 4-week IETF-wide Call for Comment.

11.2. draft-iab-anycast-arch-implications

There is currently one open issue on draft-iab-anycast-arch-implications. Danny McPherson agreed to post a revision of the document that addresses that comment, after which time the document will be ready for IETF Call for Comment.

11.3. draft-iab-identifier-comparison

The board agreed to begin IAB Last Call on draft-iab-identifier-comparison.

11.4. Other documents

Hannes Tschofenig reported that both draft-tschofenig-cc-workshop-report and draft-tschofenig-smart-object-architecture require updates before being submitted as IAB documents.

12. Executive Session: NomCom Confirmation / Recusal Process

The IAB discussed the NomCom Confirmation process in an executive session. Due to expected interactions between the various positions, the IAB chose to have IAB members who are nominated for IESG positions recuse themselves from discussions of the slate, while reserving the possibility to re-involve members at a later time.