This year, the IAB will select one person for an ISOC Board of Trustees term ending in mid-2017. Nominations (including self-nominations) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 27, 2014. Please include e-mail contact details with the nomination.
The Internet Society (ISOC) provides organizational and financial support for the IETF. As part of the arrangements between ISOC and the IETF, the IETF is called upon to name 3 Trustees to its Board (BoT), with staggered 3 year terms. This requires that the IETF select one Trustee each year.
This year, the IAB will select one person for a term ending in mid-2017.
A description of the IAB’s process for selecting the Trustee each year can be found in RFC 3677, with this year’s timeline as follows:
* January 30, 2014 : Open nomination period
* February 27, 2014 : Close of the nomination period
* No later than April 10, 2014 : IAB selection delivered to IESG for confirmation
* No later than May 23, 2014 : Delivery of final confirmed selection to the ISOC Elections Committee for announcement with the rest of the new ISOC BoT slate.
Nominations (including self-nominations) should be sent to the IAB — email@example.com. Please include e-mail contact details with the nomination.
Nominees should be aware that ISOC Trustees are elected to three year terms with approximately one third of the Board of Trustees elected each year. The responsibilities of a Trustee include fiscal management of the Internet Society, fundraising, and participation in Board meetings plus conference-call meetings, as detailed by the ISOC Bylaws:
The desirable characteristics of a candidate that are specific to the IETF-selected ISOC BoT member are outlined in section 2 of RFC 3677.
Nominees are asked to provide to the IAB:
1. Confirmation of their willingness to be considered within this process.
2. Full name and contact information.
3. A statement confirming willingness and ability to devote an appropriate level of time to activities associated with the position of Trustee.
4. A brief biography outlining experience and background.
5. A statement of interests, concerns about the Internet Society, goals as a Trustee, and motivation to serve as a Trustee.
6. Any further information that is relevant to the work of the IAB in considering your nomination.
Trustees are expected to commit the time necessary to perform regular board and committee business. Trustees are also expected to allocate some time to attend and prepare for meetings.
Care of Personal Information
The following procedures will be used by the IAB in managing this process:
– The candidate’s name will be published, with all other candidate names, at the close of the nominations period.
– Excerpts of the information provided to the IAB by the nominated candidate will be passed to the IESG as part of the confirmation process. The IESG will be requested to maintain confidentiality of the candidate’s information.
– Except as noted above, all information provided to the IAB during this process will be kept confidential to the IAB.
Current IETF-Selected Trustees
The current IETF-Selected ISOC Trustees and their term of appointment are:
– Bert Wijnen 2011 – 2014
– Eric Burger 2012 – 2015
– Bob Hinden 2013 – 2016