As part of its oversight responsibility for the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF), the IAB is responsible for selecting the IRTF Chair.
The IRTF focuses on longer-term research issues related to the Internet, organizing its work into topical Research Groups (RGs). The IRTF Chair is selected by the Internet Architecture Board (IAB). It is a volunteer position with duties that include: 1) strategically shaping the work undertaken by IRTF RGs, 2) managing administrative responsibilities such as those related to publishing RFCs via the IRTF stream, and 3) serving as an ex-officio member of the IAB. The IRTF Chair should have previous experience in network research. Experience in operational management or implementation is beneficial. It is also desirable for the IRTF Chair to be familiar with the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), the IAB, and related groups and processes.
The current IRTF Chair, Lars Eggert, has indicated that he plans to step down from this position in March 2017.
The IAB is currently soliciting nominations for the IRTF Chair, for a term beginning at IETF 98 in March 2017 and ending at IETF 104 in March 2019.
A description of the IRTF Chair role can be found in RFC 7827, “The Role of the IRTF Chair.”
- Wednesday, April 20, 2016: Open of nominations period
- Wednesday, June 22, 2016: Close of nomination period
- Friday, July 22, 2016: Deadline for community input on candidates
- By mid-September 2016: IAB selection of incoming IRTF Chair announced to the community
- Week of March 26, 2017: IRTF Chair term begins (IETF 98)
Nominations (including self-nominations) should be sent to the IAB Executive Administrative Manager at <email@example.com>. Please include e-mail contact details with the nomination.
Nominees are asked to provide to the IAB:
- Confirmation of their willingness to be considered within this process.
- Full name and contact information.
- A statement about how much time they think the IRTF Chair role entails, and a confirmation of willingness and ability to devote that level of time to the activities associated with the position of IRTF Chair.
- A brief biography outlining experience and background.
- A statement of interests, concerns about the IRTF, goals as Chair and motivation to serve as IRTF Chair.
- Any further information that is relevant to the work of the IRTF in considering your nomination.
Care of Personal Information
The following procedures will be used by the IAB in managing this process:
- The candidate’s name will be published, with all other candidate names, at the close of the nominations period.
- Except as noted above, all information provided to the IAB during this process will be kept confidential to the IAB.