As part of its oversight responsibility for the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF), the IAB is responsible for selecting the IRTF Chair.
The current IRTF Chair, Allison Mankin, has indicated that she plans to step down from this position in March 2019.
The IAB is currently soliciting nominations for the IRTF Chair, for a term beginning at IETF 104 in March 2019 and ending at IETF 110 in March 2021.
The IRTF Chair position is split between two areas of responsibility: day to day administrative coordination of the IRSG, and strategic vision for the future of the IRTF. A description of the IRTF Chair role can be found in RFC 7827, “The Role of the IRTF Chair.”
The time commitment for the IRTF Chair averages about 25% of the time in normal work weeks, and full-time for about 6 weeks a year during the Applied Networking Research Workshop, the review period for the Applied Networking Research Prize, the IETF meetings, and IAB retreats.
- Monday, 29 October 2018: Open of nominations period
- Monday, 10 December 2018: Close of nomination period
- Tuesday, 15 January 2019: Deadline for community input on candidates
- February 2019: IAB selection of incoming IRTF Chair announced to the community
- Week of 23 March 2019: IRTF Chair term begins (IETF 104)
Nominations (including self-nominations) should be sent to the IAB Executive Administrative Manager at <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Please include e-mail contact details with the nomination.
Nominees are asked to provide to the IAB:
- Confirmation of their willingness to be considered within this process.
- Full name and contact information.
- A statement about how much time they think the IRTF Chair role entails, and a confirmation of willingness and ability to devote that level of time to the activities associated with the position of IRTF Chair.
- A brief biography outlining experience and background.
- A statement of interests, concerns about the IRTF, goals as Chair and motivation to serve as IRTF Chair.
- Any further information that is relevant to the work of the IRTF in considering your nomination.
Care of Personal Information
The following procedures will be used by the IAB in managing this process:
- The candidate’s name will be published, with all other candidate names, at the close of the nominations period.
- Except as noted above, all information provided to the IAB during this process will be kept confidential to the IAB.