The IAB is in the process of approving draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfced-model, which specifies version 3 of the RFC Editor Model. In this model, policy definition is the joint responsibility of the RFC Series Working Group (RSWG), which produces policy proposals, and the RFC Series Approval Board (RSAB), which approves such proposals. As described in Section 188.8.131.52 of the document:
The RSWG shall have two chairs, one appointed by the IESG and the other appointed by the IAB. When the RSWG is formed, the chair appointed by the IESG shall serve for a term of one (1) year and the chair appointed by the IAB shall serve for a term of two (2) years; thereafter, chairs shall serve for a term of two (2) years, with no term limits on renewal.
The IAB and the IESG are looking for a diverse pool of chair candidates, and therefore are issuing a joint call for nominations (including self-nominations) for the RSWG chairs. If you are interested or would like to nominate someone, please send a message with the name and email address of the nominee to email@example.com. The deadline for nominations is 23:59 UTC on
In a second step, all nominees will then be asked to provide the following information to the IAB and IESG (self nominations may already include this information in the initial email):
- Full name and contact information. Include your employer or the organizations that would provide financial support for you (if any).
- Please provide a statement confirming your willingness to serve as RSWG chair and ability to devote an appropriate level of time to activities associated with the position.
- Please provide a brief biography outlining your relevant experience and background.
- Please provide a statement of interests, views on the RFC Series and its Model, goals as a RSWG Chair and motivation to serve as a RSWG Chair.
- Any further information that is relevant to the work of the IAB and IESG in considering your nomination, e.g., potential conflicts of interest.
In a third step, the IAB and IESG will solicit community feedback on the willing candidates before making a decision. Each body will independently pick one co-chair.
On behalf of the IAB and the IESG,
Mirja Kühlewind, IAB Chair
Lars Eggert, IETF Chair