Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2000-10-16

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2000»IAB Minutes 2000-10-16



    Rob Austein
    Harald Alvestrand
    Steve Bellovin
    Brian Carpenter
    Jon Crowcroft
    Leslie Daigle
    Steve Deering
    Tony Hain
    Don Heath (ISOC liaison)
    Erik Huizer (IRTF Chair)
    Geoff Huston
    Joyce Reynolds (RFC Editor liaison)
    Henning Schulzrinne
    Abel Weinrib (IAB Executive Director)



  • John Klensin: Create small task team to consider how IETF policies and procedures might be changed to overcome perception and reality of being slow.
  • Leslie Daigle (as NomComm liaison): Talk to NomComm chair re. ensuring adequate process & documentation in place for IAB to handle any additional issues of appeals that may come out of the fact that half the NomComm comes from only two companies.
  • John Klensin: Respond to David Maher that we don’t have any concrete technical input to his question, but want to be kept posted.


  • Brian Carpenter: Arrange “middle boxes” IAB workshop.
    • Ongoing. Aiming for March. Increasingly related to hot topic of content distribution networks.
  • Harald Alvestrand: Arrange “International Internet” IAB workshop. Fred Baker, Randy Bush, John Klensin… site committee.
    • Ongoing. Workshop should be a get-together to bless the results from the pre-workshop. Aiming for early in ’01.
  • Henning Schulzrinne: Telephony Services PSTN interworking draft as an IAB document.
    • Ongoing. Draft by next call.
  • Rob Austein and Brian Carpenter: Review and potentially update RFC 1958.
    • Ongoing.



    1. review actions

      see above

    2. review drafts in progress

      see above

    3. administrivia

      3.1 November teleconf schedule–stick to November 13, usual time.

      3.2 Face-face in San Diego: Tuesday December 12, evening.

      3.3 Rescheduling meeting time (starting January)?

      Proposal is second Monday of the month; 2-4 US East Coast time. Last call to list. (Second choice was 12-2, but Eric can’t make that time.)

    4. IRTF report and news

      Plenary presentation opportunity is drawing quite a few volunteers.

    5. IESG liaison report and news

    6. Other liaisons and external issues

      6.1 3GPP

      No information update.

      6.2 E164.ARPA

      Nothing new until ITU SG2 meeting this week and next.

      6.3 ICANN at-large elections

      Results are out. Interesting to see what impact will be. Led to discussion about how we (IETF community) is not very good at “politics,” but has most of the “clue” re. the Internet protocols and architecture. We need to figure out how to get back to basics of injecting “clue,” rather than spending time trying to play politics.

      6.4 Nomcom

      With half of the NomComm coming from only two companies, there is the danger we will face a perception problem re. appearance of balance and/or tampering in final results. Consensus among the IAB is that the IAB liaison (Leslie Daigle) Talk to NomComm chair re. ensuring adequate process & documentation in place for IAB to handle any additional issues of appeals that may come out of the fact that half the NomComm comes from only two companies. Also, Leslie will suggest to NomComm Chair that requesting a liaison from ISOC might be a good idea.

    7. Pending Workshops

      Both are ongoing, with no dates set:

        Internationalization workshop status (Harald)
        Middlebox workshop status (Brian)

    8. ISOC public policy discussion

      (We owe David Maher a response on the FCC report and payment arrangements for international Internet connections.)

      Long discussion led to no consensus on what would be technical response. At this time, we should respond that we have no concrete technical input for David. However, we would like to be kept posted–we may have more helpful insight once more concrete proposals (if any) are on the table.

    9. Another round of reform?

      Perception (and to some extent reality?) is that IETF is slow making standards. Consensus that we should create a small task team (including ex-IESG members) to reconsider some of the policies and procedures. Need a problem statement before San Diego; objective data, measures of external perceptions, etc. would be great as well.

      On another front, should we form a committee to focus on liaisons with industry, other standards bodies, etc.? This might allow IAB to focus on architecture, and might also help improve external perception.

These minutes were prepared by Abel Weinrib . An online copy of these and other minutes are available at Also, visit the IAB Web page at