April 5, 2006
- Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Minutes
- Review of Specific Actions
- Retreat Planning
- Executive Director
- IAB Minutes from IETF
- Other Business
Brian Carpenter — IETF Chair
Leslie Daigle — IAB Chair
Joyce K. Reynolds — Liaison from the RFC Editor
Aaron Falk — IRTF Chair
Lynn St. Amour — Liaison from ISOC
Rich Draves circulated minutes from the prior meeting earlier, so no minutes to approve this time.
1.4 Agenda Modifications
Dave M. brought up the issue of planning for a routing & addressing workshop. Suggestion to place this in other business in the agenda
2.1 IAB Telecom Times
The telecon will move to 8-10am Pacific time Monday for tech chats (4th mondays) and 8.30am-10am (1st and 3rd monday) for business meetings.
The first meeting on this “new schedule” would be Apr 17
Elwyn will commit to update the IAB site with meeting details and will also investigate iCal capability there.
The tentative retreat date is set for May 29/30, most likely on the US east coast. Generally, IAB members would prefer easy access to an international airport, internet connections, yet some “calm”. Washington DC is currently the leading best guess for venue.
Aaron F. and Dave M. (w/help from Eric) will investigate the options and provide a suggestion by April 14.
Richard Draves has requested to discontinue being IAB executive director. The IAB is seeking volunteers and names that might be interested in the position. IAB will send a note to the IETF list indicating the open position. http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/Jan06retreat.txt
Lixia and Elwyn will coordinate with Richard D. to finalize the IETF-week IAB notes into minutes.
Routing and Addressing Workshop
There is a desire to hold a workshop to examine a number of issues related to global Internet routing (and possibly its relationship to addressing). Dave M. is constructing a web page and wiki with the basis for this discussion.
The first issue is to construct a problem statement, which Dave M. is presently working on with others.
1 new liaison discussion
2 requests for change
1 question from a liaison to look at
Loa has documented further thoughts about whether the IAB should set up an IETF liaison with OIF. IAB members should review that material and we will revisit on the next call with Loa.
Thomas Narten would like to retire from being IETF’s 3GPP liaison; IAB will consider with input from IESG.
Steve Casner has requested to be replaced as the IETF liaison to the MPEG committee (ISO SG29/WG11) by Stephan Wenger. IAB will seek further input from Transport and RAI AD’s.
Patrik Fältström has been a connection point between ICANN and IAB related to security (SSAC). Patrik has suggested Olaf to continue on in this capacity. Leslie will take the discussion to the IAB e-mail discussion list.
There are some upcoming ITU meetings (e.g. multilingualism, e2e QoS) that may be of interest to IETF although we have no single official liaison. IETF people may participate in ITU as individuals; no general change.
The next tech chat is nominally scheduled for Apr 24, but this is when several folks will be at RIPE in Istanbul. There was some discussion regarding moving it or rescheduling it but agreement was not reached. It will be discussed further on the mailing list.
UNICODE Consortium Reply
Patrik Fältström has drafted a reply to the Unicode Consortium. There are no objecttions and it was agreed to send his draft reply as an official reponse with Leslie D. as primary signer and Olaf as technical point of contact.
Concern was expressed at the Dallas IETF meeting and on the IAB mailing list that the IETF/IAB might wish to take a position on the current issue of ‘network neutrality.’ At present, there is not clear agreement on the exact definition of this term, and there is also some reason to believe that any position on it might best be related through ISOC. It was agreed to begin work on this issue by assembling reading material to be placed on an IAB wiki page. Kevin will do this.
ISOC Board Appointment
The IAB voting members agreed to recommend an individual for this position subject to confirmation by IESG.