Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2006-08-02

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2006»IAB Minutes 2006-08-02

IAB Teleconference

August 2, 2006

1. Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Approval of Minutes, Administrivia

1.1 Agenda

  1. Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Minutes
  2. Review of Specific actions
  3. Review of Documents
  4. 4. Finalizing date, location, and invitation list for routing and addressing workshop
  5. Report on the Department of Commerce Meeting
  6. Job Description for Nomcom
  7. IETF/MPLS Liaison to ITU-T
  8. OIF Liaison?
  9. Confirm Topic for the August Telechat
  10. AOB

1.2 Attendance

Bernard Aboba
Loa Andersson
Brian Carpenter — IETF Chair
Aaron Falk — IRTF Chair
Kevin Fall
Dan Romascanu — Liaison from the IESG
Kurtis Lindqvist
David Oran
Phil Roberts — IAB Executive Director
Eric Rescorla
Joyce K. Reynolds — Liaison from the RFC Editor
Lynn St. Amour — Liaison from ISOC
Dave Thaler
Lixia Zhang

Leslie Daigle — IAB Chair
Elwyn Davies
Olaf Kolkman
David Meyer

Approval of Minutes

The IAB approved the minutes of the June 22 telechat, the July 5 telchat, and the IETF week business meetings.

2. Review of Specific Actions

  • SG2 liaison response

    Leslie sent proposed text to the IAB on July 26, will wait for Olaf’s review before completion.

  • update of report on unwanted traffic workshop

    The public presentations from the workshop are now available at:

    Loa and Lixia estimated that the report on the workshop will be completed in September.

(See Appendix A)

3. Review of Specific Documents

Untangling Activeware

Lixia and Dave Oran are working on this with a proposed release date around the end of September.

GSE history

Lixia is continuing to work on it, but not finished yet.

Multilink Subnet draft?

The IPv6 working group had long discussions about supporting multilink subnets in IPv6 and agreed not to do so. Dave Thaler was one of the editors of the original document in the IPv6 working group. The new document records the history of that work and the reasons why the working group in the end chose not to pursue it. The new document will be adopted as an IAB document with recommendations for the community about things to avoid in new protocol work.

IDN update

ITU SG-17 has launched a Q16 to talk about IDN next steps. The participants there have noticed our IDN next steps document and SG17 seems to want to own the issues. There is a need to get an RFC number. Kurtis agreed to start drafting a letter to them about our document and will work with Scott Bradner to get the wording right.

(See Appendix B)

4. Finalizing date, location, and invitation list for routing and addressing workshop

First set of invitations has been sent. Still working specific logistics in Amsterdam for the chosen dates.

5. Report on the Department of Commerce Meeting

Lynn provided an update on the Department of Commerce Meeting of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration(NTIA): The Continued Transition of the Technical Coordination and Management of the Internet Domain Name and Addressing System held July 26, 2006 in Washington. It is not yet clear what direction the DoC will take but it seemed clear that they heard our request that the parameter assignment part of the job is not theirs to handle.

6. Job Description for Nomcom

Phil will create a spot on our private website to input comments on the text for this year’s nomcom.

7. IETF/MPLS Liaison to ITU-T

Loa has proposed that the IETF needs to create a liaison to the ITU to advise on MPLS related issues. Loa has agreed to take on the role. Whether the IAB agrees to this is unclear, will discuss on the list. The IAB agreed to send Loa to the next ITU meeting.

8. OIF liaison?

The IAB agreed to draft a proposal for the IAB to consider to advise OIF about the process issues around adapting IETF approved protocols. The ccamp working group is responsible for handling specific issues on the protocols that are in their scope, but the IAB may advise on process.

9. Confirm topic for the August techchat

Kurtis will discuss ANYCAST in the August techchat.

Dave Oran agreed to start generating a list of criteria on distinguishing between successful protocols for the IAB to begin discussing with a view to a future IAB techchat.

10. AOB


Appendix A
Action Items

IAOC Appointment

Assigned to: Leslie Daigle
Initiated: February 2006
Goal: Handle the IAB’s appointment to the IAOC, per RFC 4333.
Status: IAB needs to publish its timeline in November, so defer until late September / early October.

Workshop on Bad Traffic

Assigned to: Leslie Daigle, etc
Initiated: October 2005
Goal: Hold an IAB workshop on Unwanted Traffic.
Old status:Minutes circulated. Next step: Loa and Lixia will send minutes.

Mobility Document or other

Assigned to: Lixia Zhang
Initiated: May 2006
Goal: Review the status of mobility issues and propose an IAB-sized piece to tackle (if any).

Appendix B

Design Choices When Expanding DNS

Link: (expired)
Assigned to: Olaf Kolkman, Patrik Faltstrom
Initiated: June 2004
Old status: Version -03 published
New status: Olaf talked to PAF and asked Olafur to push draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2929bis to last call. That document makes RR types allocation easier and choices benefits from that.

A survey of Authentication Mechanisms

Assigned to: Eric Rescorla
Initiated: April 2002
Old status: Comments from Sam & others received.

Untangling Activeware

Link: (expired)
Assigned to: Lixia Zhang

Initiated: April 2004
Old status: Lixia assumed responsibility.
New status: Dave Oran and Lixia agreed to renew this effort.

Architectural Implications of Link Layer Indications

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: June 2004
Old status: comments being addressed.
New status: -05 submitted with comments incorporated.

MIP6/SHIM6/HIP relationship

Assigned to:Dave Thaler
Initiated:May 2006
Status:Dave published a personal draft on this.

Principles of IP Configuration

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: October 2005
Old status: IAB review solicited.

GSE History

Assigned to: Lixia Zhang
Initiated: December 2005
Old status: Missed the initial deadline but work in progress.

Link Layers Supporting Multiple Encapsulations

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: April 2006
Old status: Version -01 published. Feedback requested from 802
New status: Version -02 published. Feedback requested from 802

The RFC Series and the RFC Editor

Assigned to:Leslie Daigle
Initiated:April 2006
Status:Version -01 published.

These minutes were prepared by Phil Roberts. Any comments should be sent to An online copy of these and other minutes is available at: