Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2006-09-06

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2006»IAB Minutes 2006-09-06

IAB Teleconference

September 6, 2006

1. Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Approval of Minutes, Administrivia

1.1 Agenda

  1. Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Minutes
  2. Update on Workshop
  3. Discussion of Interaction with ITU on Internationalized Domain Names
  4. Optical Interworking Forum
  5. Liaison to the ITU for MPLS
  6. IETF Preparation
  7. Review of Action Items
  8. Review of Documents
  9. AOB
  10. JFC Morfin Appeal

1.2 Attendance

Bernard Aboba
Loa Andersson
Leslie Daigle — IAB Chair
Elwyn Davies
Kevin Fall
Olaf Kolkman
Kurtis Lindqvist
David Meyer
David Oran
Eric Rescorla
Dave Thaler
Lixia Zhang
Brian Carpenter — IETF Chair
Aaron Falk — IRTF Chair
Phil Roberts — IAB Executive Director
Dan Romascanu — Liaison from the IESG

Joyce K. Reynolds — Liaison from the RFC Editor
Lynn St. Amour — Liaison from ISOC

Approval of Minutes

The IAB approved the minutes of the August 30 telechat.

2. Update on Workshop

The IAB discussed the upcoming workshop on routing and addressing. Invitations have been sent and final responses are due this week. There are only a handful of people who we haven’t heard from. Lixia and Dave Meyer agreed to produce proposed text to share with the workshop mailing list on goals, topics, and agenda by next Wednesday.

3. Discussion of interaction with ITU on Internationalized Domain Names

Kurtis will write a proposal for the IAB to consider.

4. Optical Internetworking Forum (OIF)

The IAB discussed some proposals for interacting with the OIF to make sure there doesn’t end up being multiple incompatible protocols with the same identifier. Loa has some proposed text. Phil will set up a poll on the private website this week for folks to review and make suggestions. The poll will run one week.

5. Liaison to ITU for MPLS

The IAB has chosen to make Loa Anderson the MPLS liaison to the ITU. Phil will send notes to the appropriate folks and have the secretariat update the website.

6. IETF preparation

The IAB began preparing for IETF 67.

7. Review of Specific Actions

Lixia and Loa agreed to produce a first draft of the report for the Unwanted Traffic Workshop by next Wednesday.

(See Appendix A)

8. Review of Specific Documents (Getting a status update on all of our documents)

Design Choices when Expanding DNS

Olaf will review the document with Patrik Faltstrom to determine whether any more edits are needed.

A survey of authentication mechanism

Eric will work through the outstanding issues and run a new version by the IAB with a goal of getting the new version before IETF 67

Untangling Activeware

Dave Oran and Lixia are working on the topic in preparation for the next tech chat so should produce a version before that.

Architectural Implications of Link Layer Indications

Bernard should have a new version out this week that should have addressed all comments

Principles of IP configuration

Lixia and Dave T will take a look at the latest version and send comments to the IAB list.

GSE History (Lixia)

The IAB discussed whether this document is still needed given that there is an IETF journal article now. It seems to make sense to have an RFC documenting this as reference to the work keeps coming up and it would be beneficial to have a document in our archive. Not clear whether it will be an IAB doc or an individual doc, but Lixia will produce one and we’ll see how it looks once the doc is available.

Link Layers Supporting Multiple Encapsulations

Have received positive feedback from 802.1 and 802.16. It is appropriate to ask IETF for comment at this point. Leslie will send out the usual call for comment.

The RFC Series and the RFC Editor

Leslie will Leslie will review status of the document; the IAB expressed support for soliciting final community input and putting the document for publication..

Dave T’s multilink subnets draft

Dave, Bernard, and Lixia will discuss this week and get a new version out.

(See Appendix B)

9. AOB


10. JFC Morfin Appeal

The IAB entered executive session to consider the JFC Morfin appeal.

Appendix A
Action Items

IAOC Appointment

Assigned to: Leslie Daigle
Initiated: February 2006
Goal: Handle the IAB’s appointment to the IAOC, per RFC 4333.
Status: IAB needs to publish its timeline in November, so defer until late September / early October.

Workshop on Bad Traffic

Assigned to: Leslie Daigle, etc
Initiated: October 2005
Goal: Hold an IAB workshop on Unwanted Traffic.
Old status:Minutes circulated. Next step: Loa and Lixia to draft report.

Mobility Document or other

Assigned to: Lixia Zhang
Initiated: May 2006
Goal: Review the status of mobility issues and propose an IAB-sized piece to tackle (if any).

Appendix B

Design Choices When Expanding DNS

Link: (expired)
Assigned to: Olaf Kolkman, Patrik Faltstrom
Initiated: June 2004
Old status: Olaf talked to PAF and asked Olafur to push draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2929bis to last call. That document makes RR types allocation easier and choices benefits from that.
New status: Olaf and PAF will make a final review.

A survey of Authentication Mechanisms

Assigned to: Eric Rescorla
Initiated: April 2002
Old status: Comments from Sam & others received.

Untangling Activeware

Link: (expired)
Assigned to: Lixia Zhang

Initiated: April 2004
Old status: Dave Oran and Lixia agreed to renew this effort.

Architectural Implications of Link Layer Indications

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: June 2004
Old status: -05 submitted with comments incorporated.

Principles of IP Configuration

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: October 2005
Old status: IAB review solicited.

GSE History

Assigned to: Lixia Zhang
Initiated: December 2005
Old status: Missed the initial deadline but work in progress.
New status: Article for IETF Journal produced, Lixia will convert that into an I-D form.

Link Layers Supporting Multiple Encapsulations

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: April 2006
Old status: Version -02 published. Feedback requested from 802
New Status: Version -02 published. Feedback received from IEEE 802.1 & 802.16 (all positive so far).
Next step:IETF review.

The RFC Series and the RFC Editor

Assigned to:Leslie Daigle
Initiated:April 2006
Old Status:Version -01 published.
New status:Last call will be sent.

These minutes were prepared by Phil Roberts. Any comments should be sent to An online copy of these and other minutes is available at: