Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2006-10-04

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2006»IAB Minutes 2006-10-04

IAB Teleconference

October 4, 2006

1. Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Approval of Minutes, Administrivia

1.1 Agenda

  1. Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Minutes
  2. Update on Workshop
  3. Anycast
  4. Optical Interworking Forum
  5. IAOC Appointment/ISOC BoT Appointment
  6. Deployment of Experimental Congestion Control
  7. *.travel Discussion
  8. IETF-67 Planning
  9. Review of Actions
  10. Review of Documents
  11. AOB
  12. Executive Session

1.2 Attendance

Bernard Aboba
Loa Andersson
Leslie Daigle — IAB Chair
Elwyn Davies
Kevin Fall
Olaf Kolkman
Kurtis Lindqvist
David Meyer
David Oran
Eric Rescorla
Dave Thaler
Lixia Zhang
Brian Carpenter — IETF Chair
Aaron Falk — IRTF Chair
Phil Roberts — IAB Executive Director

Dan Romascanu — Liaison from the IESG
Joyce K. Reynolds — Liaison from the RFC Editor
Lynn St. Amour — Liaison from ISOC

Approval of Minutes

Approved minutes of September 20 business meeting.

2. Update on Workshop

The IAB discussed the organization for the upcoming workshop on routing and addressing. Moderators for each of the sessions were identified. Updated agenda indicating moderators was published to the workshop mailing list, and workshop participants have been granted access to the workshop wiki. The moderators are to start organizing the presenters and presentations in their individual sessions, assigning background reading, and finding session reporters.

3. Anycast

IAB members had deferred discussion of and comment on draft-ietf-grow-anycast-04 while Dean Anderson had an active appeal to the IAB. Dave Oran and Eric Rescorla noted they had just provided some input, as individuals, to the IESG on the document.

4. OIF

The IAB agreed to a message for the Optical Internetworking Forum. Loa and Leslie will work on sending the message.

5. IAOC Appointment/ISOC BoT Appointments

Discussion of the timeline for these appointments was deferred to the next business meeting.

6. Deployment of experimental congestion control

Deferred to the next business meeting.

7. *.travel discussion

The proposal for a new .travel TLD includes a requirement for a wildcard in the TLD zone. This has been done in the past. In 2003 the IAB commented on architectural concerns re: the use of DNS wildcards The statements is still valid from the IAB point of view. Olaf will work out how to send an appropriate message to the ICANN committee evaluating the proposal with a reference to it.

8. IETF-67 preparation

The IAB reviewed its plan for the Thursday plenary and began to discuss its own agenda for the week of IETF-67.

9. Review of Actions

Nothing to discuss at this time.

(See Appendix A)

10. Review of Documents


(See Appendix B)

11. AOB


12. Executive Session

The IAB entered executive session to discuss the status of the RFC editor RFP, the JFC Morfin appeal, and the Todd Glassey IETF mailing list suspension complaint.

Appendix A – Action Items

IAOC Appointment

Assigned to: Leslie Daigle
Initiated: February 2006
Goal: Handle the IAB’s appointment to the IAOC, per RFC 4333.
Old Status: IAB needs to publish its timeline in November, so defer until late September / early October.
New Status: Phil agreed to produce proposed timelines of this and the ISOC BoT appointments.

Workshop on Bad Traffic

Assigned to: Leslie Daigle, etc
Initiated: October 2005
Status: Minutes circulated. Next step: Loa & Lixia to draft report.

Mobility Document or other

Assigned to: Lixia Zhang
Initiated: May 2006
Goal: Review the status of mobility issues and propose an IAB-sized piece to tackle (if any).

IAB RAW Workshop

Assigned to: DMM
Initiated: March 2006
Goal: To have a workshop to address routing issues in the Internet
Status: DMM and Lixia will prepare a proposal on goals, topics, and agenda by 9/13/2006.

RAW Workshop Wiki

Assigned to: Phil
Initiated: September 2006
Goal: To have a wiki that workshop participants can use in prepartiong for the upcoming workshop.

Appendix B – Documents

Design Choices When Expanding DNS

Assigned to: Olaf Kolkman, Patrik Faltstrom
Initiated: June 2004
Old status: Olaf and PAF will make a final review.

A survey of Authentication Mechanisms

Assigned to: Eric Rescorla
Initiated: April 2002
Old Status: Comments from Sam & others received.

Untangling Activeware

Assigned to: Lixia Zhang and Dave Oran
Initiated: April 2004
Old status: Dave Oran and Lixia agreed to renew this effort.

Architectural Implications of Link Layer Indications

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: June 2004
Old status: -05 submitted with comments incorporated.

GSE History

Assigned to: Lixia Zhang
Initiated: December 2005
Old status: Article for IETF Journal produced, Lixia will convert that into an I-D form.

Link Layers Supporting Multiple Encapsulations

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: April 2006
Old Status: Version -02 published. Feedback received from IEEE 802.1 & 802.16 (all positive so far).

The RFC Series and the RFC Editor

Assigned to: Leslie Daigle
Initiated: April 2006
Old status: Version -01 published.
New status: Last call will be sent.

These minutes were prepared by Phil Roberts. Any comments should be sent to An online copy of these and other minutes is available at: