Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2006-12-06

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2006»IAB Minutes 2006-12-06

IAB Teleconference

December 6, 2006

1. Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Approval of Minutes, Administrivia

1.1 Agenda

  1. Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Minutes
  2. Draft Tracker Proposal
  3. Liaison Discussion/Appointments
  4. Review of Specific Actions
  5. Review of Specific Documents
  6. AOB

1.2 Attendance

Bernard Aboba
Loa Andersson
Leslie Daigle — IAB Chair
Elwyn Davies
Kevin Fall
Olaf Kolkman
David Oran
Eric Rescorla
Dave Thaler
Lixia Zhang
Dan Romascanu — Liaison from the IESG
Aaron Falk — IRTF Chair
Brian Carpenter — IETF Chair
Phil Roberts — IAB Executive Director

Kurtis Lindqvist
David Meyer
Sandy Ginoza — Liaison from the RFC Editor
Lynn St. Amour — Liaison from ISOC

Approval of Minutes

Approved minutes of November 1 and November 22 business meetings.

2. Draft Tracker Proposal

The IAB will use the draft tracker to track its documents. There is a proposal for document states that will be revised before the next business meeting. When the IAB approves those document states they will be included in the proto draft describing IAB and IRTF documents.

3. Liaison discussion/appointments

The IAB discussed the proposal to have a liaison with Cablelabs. Dave Oran and Mark Townsley had a teleconference to discuss issues with the document describing the proposed liaison. A new version of that will be ready by end of year and then the IAB will consider the appointment of a liaison.

4. Review of Specific Actions

  • IAOC questionnaire

    Phil updated it and it is ready to be shipped to potential candidates.

  • ISOC Appointment timeline

    Appointment timeline is done.

  • Mobility document

    We will remove this from the list at this time until sufficient impetus exists to restart.

  • Bad Traffic Report

    There are no outstanding comments. Will have an internal pass and then publish.

  • RAW Report

    Progress is being made.

  • IAB doc on DNS wildcards?

    There is interest, and the action will be revisited in February.

  • Anycast text

    No update.

  • RFC editor and non-WG submissions

    There was some discussion in the context of RFC independent version 4. There will be a page on the IAB website with current state of play on all of these documents.

(See Appendix A)

5. Review of Documents

  • DNS choices

    The authors are waiting for a document in dns-ext (2929bis) which will exist as a normative reference here, and then this doc will be published.

  • authentication mechanisms

    Bernard agreed to have a look at the document to help sort out remaining issues before the end of the year.

  • untangling activeware/NAT traversal

    The IAB will revisit the progress on this in January.

  • link indications

    Will be revised by the end of the year.

  • GSE history

    Given that this is now published as an IETF journal article, the value of publishing an IAB document on the same is unclear.

  • RFC series and RFC Editor

    Will have a new revision done this month.

  • Multilink subnets

    There will be a new version within a week and then it is ready for an IAB last call.

  • Internet Transparency

    A version -01 was produced, need input from the IAB on other material that could be included.

  • Principles of IP config

    This is not an IAB document, but within a week there should be a new version and the IAB will consider whether it should be an IAB document.

  • Multiple encaps

    This will be published now.

(See Appendix B)

6. AOB


Appendix A – Action Items

IAOC Appointment

Assigned to: Phil Roberts
Initiated: February 2006
Goal: Handle the IAB’s appointment to the IAOC, per RFC 4333.
Old Status: IAOC appointment timeline agreed to. Next step, send out announcement of the selection process.
New Status: IAOC appointment questionnaire updated and ready to be shipped.

ISOC BoT Appointment

Assigned to: Phil Roberts
Initiated: September 2006
Goal:Handle the IAB’s appointment to the ISOC Board of Trustees
Status:Proposed timeline sent to ML with comments requested.
New Status: Timeline ready to be shipped on community in January.

Workshop on Bad Traffic

Assigned to: Leslie Daigle, etc
Initiated: October 2005
Goal: Hold an IAB workshop on Unwanted Traffic.
Old Status: draft-00 of workshop report published
New Status: comments incorporated. Needs internal review, then ready to be published.

Mobility Document or other

Assigned to: Lixia Zhang
Initiated: May 2006
Goal: Review the status of mobility issues and propose an IAB-sized piece to tackle (if any).

RAW Workshop Report

Assigned to: DMM
Initiated: Sep 2006
Goal: To produce a report on the workshop in a timely manner
Status: Initiated
New Status: Release of first version is about to happen.

Data Tracker for IAB docs

Assigned to: Phil
Initiated: October 2006
Goal: Produce a plan in November; complete execution in December
Status: First draft of document flow completed. Revision needed.


Assigned to: Kurtis
Initiated: October 2006
Goal: produce a draft on protocol considerations for anycast suitability
Status: First draft of proposed text available by year-end.

Addressing RFC Editor Question about submissions from individuals beyond working groups

Assigned to: Leslie
Initiated: October 2006
Goal: Integrate this with the other documents on RFC editor process
Status on 6 Dec 2006: A page on the IAB website will be created with current progress on all of these documents

Appendix B – Document Status

Design Choices When Expanding DNS

Assigned to: Olaf Kolkman, Patrik Faltstrom
Initiated: June 2004
Old status: Olaf and PAF will make a final review.
New status: waiting on publication of RFC 2929bis to include as a normative reference

A survey of Authentication Mechanisms

Assigned to: Eric Rescorla
Initiated: April 2002
Old Status: Comments from Sam & others received.
New Status: Bernard will provide input by year-end.

Untangling Activeware

Assigned to: Lixia Zhang and Dave Oran
Initiated: April 2004
Old status: Dave Oran and Lixia agreed to renew this effort.
New Status: Revisit this in the middle of January.

Architectural Implications of Link Layer Indications

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: June 2004
Old status: -05 submitted with comments incorporated.
New status: will have a new revision by year end 2006.

Link Layers Supporting Multiple Encapsulations

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: April 2006
Old Status: Version -02 published. Feedback received from IEEE 802.1 & 802.16 (all positive so far).
New Status: Shipped for publication.

The RFC Series and the RFC Editor

Assigned to: Leslie Daigle
Initiated: April 2006
Old status: Last call will be sent.
New status: A new version is imminent.

Multilink Subnets

Assigned to:Dave Thaler
Initiated:August 2006
Old Status:Version -01 published with comments incorporated
New Status: A revision is about to be published, and then it is ready for IAB last call.

Reflections on Internet Transparency

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: September 2006
Status on 3 Dec 06: -01 update submitted.

Report on Unwanted Traffic Workshop

Assigned to: Loa Andersson
Initiated: March 2006
Status on 28 Nov 06: -00 document published

These minutes were prepared by Phil Roberts. Any comments should be sent to An online copy of these and other minutes is available at: