Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2007-04-04

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2007»IAB Minutes 2007-04-04

IAB Teleconference

April 4, 2007

1. Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Approval of Minutes, Administrivia

1.1 Agenda

  1. Rollcall, Agenda Bash, Minutes
  2. IETF 68
  3. Action Item Status Update
  4. Document Status Update
  5. New Executive Director Discussion
  6. Emergency Services SDO Coordination Meeting Apr 11-12
  7. Do we want to do anything different on the ICANN nomination committee?
  8. IAB Retreat Logistics and Possible Agenda Items
  9. AOB
  10. Executive Session

1.2 Attendance

Loa Andersson
Leslie Daigle
Elwyn Davies
Kevin Fall
Olaf Kolkman — IAB Chair
Barry Leiba
Danny McPherson
Eric Rescorla
Dave Thaler
Lixia Zhang
Phil Roberts — IAB Executive Director
Lynn St. Amour — Liaison from ISOC
Mark Townsley — Liaison from the IESG
Russ Housley — IETF chair

Kurtis Lindqvist
David Oran
Aaron Falk — IRTF Chair
Sandy Ginoza — Liaison from the RFC Editor

Approval of Minutes

Approved minutes of the March 7 and IETF business meetings.

2. Action Status Update

  • IAB Doc on DNS Wildcards

    Lixia will review this weekend. Olaf will incorporate feedback received so far and issue a -00 draft.

  • Anycast

    No update.

  • Discussion on Infrastructure ENUM Doc

    The IAB is responsible for the liaison about Infrastructure ENUM and is expecting a draft to be supplied by the ENUM working group.

  • Consider Policy on ICANN nominations

    Discussed under item 7 below.

  • Cablelabs Liaison

    The draft will be reviewed by the IESG tomorrow and if approved we will consider candidates for the IETF Liaison role.

  • The IRTF and the IAB

    This discussion is tentatively scheduled for the retreat.

3. Document Status Update

  • Design Choices when expanding DNS

    Olaf talked to PAF and Rob Austein. There is some new proposed text but it’s not clear whether it fits into the document. Rob will make a language review in April.

  • authentication mechanisms

    EKR met with Bernard and came to a conclusion on all the points. EKR just needs to write it up.

  • untangling activeware

    The IAB agreed to remove this document from its list of documents under consideration.

  • internet transparency

    This document has completed last call. No further comments were received. It will be submitted for publication.

  • unwanted traffic

    This document is ready for publication.

  • raws report

    Today is the last day of its last call. Lixia has incorporated comments received thus far. Goal is to submit for publication this week.

4. ITU Questionnaire on Resolution 102

The IAB agreed to pull together some interested individuals to determine how best to support ISOC with respect to this resolution and whether or not there is any specific IAB action required. Danny McPherson, Kurtis Lindqvist, Leslie Daigle, PAF, and Lynn St. Amour agreed to work together on this.

5. New Executive Director Discussion

The IAB discussed some possibilities about a new executive director. No conclusion was reached.

6. Emergency Services SDO Coordination Meeting Apr 11-12

The IAB decided to determine whether Andy Newton might be attending this meeting and whether he could provide a report back to the IAB on the proceedings. He will not be asked in any way to represent the IETF or the IAB.

7. Do we want to do anything different on the ICANN nomcom?

The IAB agreed to take this topic under further consideration and discuss it in detail at the next business meeting.

8. IAB retreat logistics and possible agenda items

The IAB began discussing preparations for the IAB retreat on May 31 and June 1.

9. AOB

The IAB spent some time talking about the purpose and logistics of a proposed get together with the ITU-T study group chairs in Chicago before IETF. No conclusion was reached.

The IAB spent some time determining how to proceed with ROAP discussions as the IAB in addition to other efforts that are ongoing. The IAB agreed to ask some subset of the team to determine whether there is a proposal for something concrete. Dave Thaler, Kevin Fall, Leslie Daigle, Loa Andersson, Elwyn Davies, Barry Leiba, Lixia Zhang, Danny McPherson, and Mark Townsley agreed to participate.

10. Executive Session

The IAB entered executive session to discuss its nomination for the ISOC BoT position.

Appendix A – Action Items

ISOC BoT Appointment

Assigned to: Phil Roberts
Initiated: September 2006
Goal:Handle the IAB’s appointment to the ISOC Board of Trustees
Old Status: Leslie sent out the call for nominations.
New Status: IAB is deliberating.

IAB Doc on DNS Wildcards

Assigned to: Olaf Kolkmann
Initiated: September 2006
Goal:Convert the text that has been used in communications about wildcards in the DNS into an IAB document
New Status: Olaf has received some comments, will generate -00.


Assigned to: Kurtis
Initiated: October 2006
Goal: produce a draft on protocol considerations for anycast suitability
Status: Text expected RSN.

Discussion on Infrastructure ENUM

Assigned to:
Initiated: March 2007
Goal:Make sure the IAB provides input on the doc before it is published.
New Status:Working group is preparing a liaison statement. Chair and AD have been told that the liaison is the end responsibility of the IAB.

Consider Policy on ICANN Nominations Committee

Assigned to:
Initiated:February 2007
Goal:Determine whether what we are doing now is sufficient or needs some refinement.
Status:Leslie sent an email on Feb 26 describing what some possible options are.

CableLabs Liaison Appointment

Assigned to: Dave Oran
Initiated: December 2006
Goal:Appoint someone to the liaison role with CableLabs
Status:The draft describing the relationship has been reviewed by a few folks. When the document is approved the IAB will return to the task of appointing the liaison.

The IRTF and the IAB

Assigned to:Aaron Falk
Initiated: March 2007
Goal:Come to some shared understanding of the current status of the IRTF and the ways the IRTF and IAB relate now and how it might evolve going forward.
Status: Tentatively scheduled for 2007 retreat.

Appendix B – Document Status

Design Choices When Expanding DNS

Assigned to: Olaf Kolkman, Patrik Faltstrom
Initiated: June 2004
Old status: waiting on publication of RFC 2929bis to include as a normative reference
New status: Olaf talked to PAF, received proposed text from Peter Koch, and confirmed Rob Austein will do another review pass during April.

A survey of Authentication Mechanisms

Assigned to: Eric Rescorla
Initiated: April 2002
Old Status: Bernard provided a list of 20 open issues. EKR will review and post
New Status: Bernard and EKR met during IETF 68 and came up with proposed resolutions.

Architectural Implications of Link Layer Indications

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: June 2004
Old Status: In the RFC Editor Queue.

Link Layers Supporting Multiple Encapsulations

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: April 2006
Old Status: Editing underway by the RFC Editor.

The RFC Series and the RFC Editor

Assigned to: Leslie Daigle
Initiated: April 2006
Old Status: Changes incorporated and ready for publication.
New Status: In RFC Editor Queue.

Multilink Subnets

Assigned to:Dave Thaler
Initiated:August 2006
Old Status: In the RFC Editor Queue.

Reflections on Internet Transparency

Assigned to: Bernard Aboba
Initiated: September 2006
Old Status: Call for input to IETF. Comments being incorporated.
New Status: Ready for publication.

Report on Unwanted Traffic Workshop

Assigned to: Loa Andersson
Initiated: March 2006
Old Status: -03 document published. IETF call for comments underway.
New Status: Ready for publication.

IAB publication

Assigned to: Dave Meyer
Initiated: October 2006
Old status: Under IETF last call

RFC Independent

Assigned to: Dave Thaler
Initiated: January 2007
Old status: In RFC Editor Queue

These minutes were prepared by Phil Roberts. Any comments should be sent to An online copy of these and other minutes is available at: