Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2011-10-26

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2011»IAB Minutes 2011-10-26

Minutes of the 2011-10-26 IAB Teleconference

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, approval of minutes

1.1. Attendance

  • Bernard Aboba (IAB Chair)
  • Ross Callon
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Spencer Dawkins
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • David Kessens
  • Olaf Kolkman
  • Danny McPherson
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Assistant)
  • Jon Peterson
  • Andrei Robachevsky
  • Dow Street (IAB Executive Director)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Hannes Tschofenig
  • Sean Turner (IESG Liaison)
  • Russ Housley (IETF Chair)

1.2. Agenda

Agenda items on the RSSAC Liaison and the inter-SDO privacy meeting organized by OASIS were added to the agenda under section 13 (All Other Business), but were not discussed due to time constraints. Both topics will be discussed via email.

1.3. Administrivia

Dow reminded the board that there is a tech chat on personal firewalls scheduled for 2 November 2011. The board agreed to spend some time at the end of that tech chat to discuss regular business, including the schedule for IETF 82. The board agreed to cancel the meeting on 9 November 2011, as many people will be traveling to IETF 82.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The board conditionally approved the minutes of the 5 October 2011 and 12 October 2011 business meetings pending final review from Dave Thaler. If no objections are raised by close of business on Friday, 28 October 2011, those minutes will be posted as approved.

2. Liaison Reports – 10 min – Liaisons

2.1. ISOC Liaison

Mat briefly introduced his written report:

–Begin ISOC Liaison written report–

ISOC's Liaison Report to the IAB
October 20, 2011

I. Internet Governance Forum 2011
II. World Summit on the Information Society follow-up
III. ITU World Conference on International Telecommunications 2012
V. IAB Emergency Services Initiative
VI. APEC Electronic Commerce Steering Group
VII. Privacy discussions
VIII. Internet ON!
IX. OECD/FCC Workshop on Broadband Metrics

I. Internet Governance Forum 2011: ISOC’s delegation was highly
visible and contributed to the good press coverage of the event
(briefing The Economist, interview for the International Herald

- The Public Policy team prepared the text for the closing speech on
behalf of the Internet technical community (delivered by Nii
Quaynor) and expressed concerns about recent moves to establish new
UN bodies dealing with the Internet. ISOC coordinated with the other
stakeholder groups and the host country. The International Chamber
of Commerce picked up the same language and the concerns are
expected to be conveyed to the UN by the host country.

- ISOC was asked by the other I* organisations to provide the
spokesperson in the meeting with Assistant Secretary-General Thomas
Stelzer. The meeting went well and Stelzer showed a genuine interest
in the Internet model and multi-stakeholder cooperation which he saw
as relevant also in other policy areas.

- ISOC organized a successful Open Forum.  This went very well with an
overview of the IETF followed by Q&A session and case-studies (on
internationalisation) from the panelists.

- A briefing session was organised for ISOC members and ambassadors
and ISOC staff organised and participated in a number of workshops
(e.g. IGF improvements, IPR, Human Rights, etc.) and main sessions
(e.g. Security, Openness and Privacy, Stock Taking).

II. World Summit on the Information Society follow-up: Following
ISOC's submission to the Open Consultation Process on Overall Review
of the Implementation of the WSIS Outcomes (WSIS+10) and participation
in the WSIS+10 consultation meeting, a second round of written
comments have been prepared for the Open Consultation process. The
discussions should continue to focus on the outcomes of the future
WSIS 2014 summit and ISOC will continue advocating that it isn’t
useful at this point to organise a separate Summit in 2014 including a
new Declaration and Plan of Action.

III. ITU World Conference on International Telecommunications 2012:
ISOC attended the WCIT preparatory meeting in Geneva. There was broad
government participation in the meeting which focused primarily on the
process by which the treaty will be modified. We are considering
whether to submit comments to the WCIT preparatory process,
particularly focusing on the issue of mandatory application of ITU-T
recommendations. ISOC have been encouraged (and are planning to
attend) many of the regional preparatory meetings for the WCIT,
including the Asia-Pacific meeting at the end of October in Manila.

- ISOC submitted a proposal to CITEL for a workshop on the Internet
Standards Framework which was fully supported by CITEL. We have a
one-day seminar scheduled for 14 May 2012 in Argentina. This will
allow us to inform the LAC countries on the range of different
standards groups and hopefully push back on efforts to make the ITU
standards preeminent.

IV. MPLS and ITU SG15: ISOC continue to engage in outreach on the MPLS
issue leading into the December ITU-T SG15 meeting.  ISOC attended a
US government-led preparatory meeting for SG15 along with a number of
ISOC organisational members. ISOC outreach has been helpful in getting
the UK fully engaged on the MPLS issue and they are working with a
number of European and Commonwealth countries to find a way forward.

V. IAB Emergency Services Initiative: ISOC are very pleased that
Christine Runnegar has been invited to participate in the IAB's new
Emergency Services Initiative. She is looking forward to working with
the team.

VI. APEC Electronic Commerce Steering Group: ISOC recently
participated in the APEC Electronic Commerce Steering Group Data
Privacy Sub-Group (DPS) meetings in San Francisco where the APEC
Cross-Border Privacy Rules (CBPR) System was completed and endorsed by
the ECSG. This is a major milestone for the ECSG and represents the
culmination of 4 years work under the APEC Data Privacy Pathfinder. In
both the DPS formal meeting and the ECSG meeting, the Internet Society
provided a brief update on relevant activities, highlighting some of
the privacy work being undertaken within the IAB, IETF, W3C and other
organizations within the Internet technical community.

VII. Privacy discussions: The Internet Society participated in an
informal meeting of Internet technical community representatives
working on privacy, organised by OASIS adjacent to the International
Cloud Symposium in London.

VIII. Internet ON!: ISOC held an Internet ON! event, co-located with
LACNOG/LACNIC in Buenos Aires. It was well-attended and interest in
Internet technologies, deployment, and proper operationalisation was
high ( Another ION event will
be held in conjunction with the Canadian ISP meeting in November
(sadly, coincident with the IETF meeting in Taipei).

IX. OECD/FCC Workshop on Broadband Metrics: As part of the Internet
Technical Advisory Committee of the OECD, ISOC participated in the
OECD/FCC workshop on 'Broadband and Its Impact on Consumers and
Economies: Developing a New Framework for Future Metrics'. ISOC
presented an ITAC paper on the topic of 'Broadband Metrics & Internet

–End ISOC Liaison written report–

2.2. IESG Liaison

Sean briefly highlighted a few items from his written report:

–Begin IESG Liaison written report–

SDO Coordination

- The MPLS WG sent a liaison to ITU-T SG15, Q9, Q10, Q12 and Q14 to
announce the publication of 7 MPLS and CCAMP WG RFCs

Working Groups

- bfcpbis (RAI)
- jose (Security)
- mile (Security)

- xcon (RAI)
- dkim (Security)
- msec (Security)

- SDN BOF chairs announced: Wesley George and Lou Berger
- intarea WG named Suresh Krishnan as co-chair

Interim Meetings:
- CUSS WG Virtual Interim 2011-09-21
- SOFTWIRE WG Interim 2011-09-26 - 27
- PPSP WG Virtual Interim 2011-09-28
- HOMENET WG Interim 2011-10-06 - 07
- MPTCP WG Virtual Interim 2011-10-20
- CUSS WG Virtual Interim 2011-10-25

–End IESG Liaison written report–

Joel noted that he has now officially transitioned into the role of IAB Liaison to the IESG that was previously handled by Hannes.

2.3. RFC Editor Liaison

Olaf briefly introduced his written report:

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison written report–

= RFC Editor Report

1. == STANAG

The RFC Editor has had a request to assess the use of STANAG 4406
Editon 2 as a (normative) reference. We adviced the IESG against it
use and offered the editor of the ID the suggestion for wording that
would make the reference informative.

2. == RFC Branding

After an initial discussion on RFC interest about the ISE draft Eric
Burger posted an idea to 'brand' standards track RFCs with an ASCI art
trade mark. I requested mark to stall the discussion until a new RSE
is on board. (I did that wearing no particular hat)

3. == Production Center

3.1  == Transition of automation to Publisher

A plan has been written to migrate automation from the production
center to the Secretariat (as part of the Secretariat's SOW and part
of the IAOC's implementation of RFC5620). The plan has been reviewed
by myself and the production center but needs a bit of fine tuning
with respect to archives that could be useful to the ISE but are to be
considered confidential otherwise. RFC Editor components agreed on a
meeting in Taipei to assess what needs and can be done and to
determine the next steps.

3.2 == Announcements

The text in RFC announcement will be aligned with RFC 6410. (maturity

–End RFC Editor Liaison written report–

2.4. IRTF Chair

Lars briefly introduced his written report:

–Begin IRTF Chair written report–

- We chartered the Network Complexity RG:

- Continued discussion on the "IRTF Note Well" that explains why and
how the IETF Note Well applies to the IRTF.

- Only HIPRG and SAMRG are meeting at IETF-82.

- In the process of figuring out which RG to review with the IAB
during IETF-82.

–End IRTF Chair written report–

3. ISO Liaison

The IETF currently has several level 2 liaisons with ISO, but a level 1 liaison is required for ISO to treat IETF standards as peers. A previous attempt to establish this top-level liaison with ISO was derailed because at that time, NIST did not recognize IETF as a standards body; however, that issue has been resolved, and the board agreed to try again to establish a top-level liaison with ISO. Bernard will contact Leslie Daigle and John Klensin to establish the original context for the liaison, and then report back to the board with proposed next steps.

4. Privacy Workshop Report

The board approved draft-iab-privacy-workshop for publication as an RFC.

5. ISE Model Document

Bernard reported that a public call for comment on draft-iab-ise-model was sent to the IETF-Announce and RFC-Interest lists. The public comment period will conclude on 26 November 2011.

6. Next steps on the Smart Object Workshop Report

Hannes reported that he will submit a revision of draft-iab-smart-object-workshop shortly. A “Call for Approval” will be issued, to conclude on Sunday November 13 at IETF 82.

7. Other Documents

7.1. draft-iab-anycast-arch-implications

The “IAB Last Call” has latest version of draft-iab-anycast-arch-implications. Once there are no more open issues, Bernard will issue the community-wide call for comment.

7.2. draft-hansen-privacy-terminology

The board is currently discussing whether the Privacy Terminology document is appropriate for the IAB stream via email.

8. IANA Evolution Program

Bernard reported that the pre-solicitation for the IANA RFP/SoW was announced on 21 October 2011. The RFP/SoW is expected to be issued within the next 10 days.

Andrei asked for an update on the status of the two internet-drafts related to ARIN Draft Policy 2011-5. Ross agreed to check with the Operations and Management Area Directors on the current status and report back to the board.

9. RFC Editor Program update

Bernard reported that the RSOC has a list of finalists for the RFC Series Editor position, and that he and Russ have participated in candidate interviews. The RSOC will send their choice to the board by Wednesday of IETF 82; this is on the board’s agenda for discussion on Thursday at IETF 82. The board will have until the end of November to confirm the candidate.

10. Emergency Services Charter

The board discussed the current version of the Emergency Services Initiative charter. Hannes will send a revised version of the charter to the email list and the board will discuss further at the next business meeting.

11. HTTP/Web Evolution Charter

Hannes asked the board to review the current version of the HTTP/Web Evolution charter. The board will discuss further at the next business meeting.

12. Executive Director next steps

The board discussed several options for the IAB Executive Director
role, including models where the Executive Director is a member of the community, where the Executive Director is a sitting board member, and where the Executive Director is provided by the IETF Secretariat. Due to time constraints, the board was unable to finish the discussion. The board agreed to continue the discussion on the email list, and revisit the topic at the next meeting on 2 November 2011.

13. All Other Business (AOB):

There was no other business and the meeting was concluded.