Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2013-03-27

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2013»IAB Minutes 2013-03-27

Minutes of the 2013-03-27 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

PRESENT
  • Bernard Aboba
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Mary Barnes (IAB Executive Director)
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Ross Callon
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Spencer Dawkins
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • Russ Housley (IAB Chair)
  • Eliot Lear
  • Barry Leiba (IESG Liaison)
  • Xing Li
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Assistant)
  • Andrew Sullivan
  • Dave Thaler
  • Hannes Tschofenig
REGRETS
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)

1.2. Administrivia

Cindy Morgan reminded the board that summer time begins in Europe this weekend, thus shifting the time of future conference calls by one hour for some participants.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The following meeting minutes were approved:

  • 2013-02-13 Business Meeting
  • 2013-02-27 Business Meeting
  • 2013-03-10 Business Meeting

The minutes of the 2013-02-06 Tech Chat were tentatively approved barring comments from Thomas Narten, the invited speaker. Cindy Morgan will contact Thomas offline to make sure there are no objections to posting the approved minutes on the public IAB website.

The minutes of the 2013-03-12 and 2013-03-14 Business Meetings remain under review.

2. Liaison updates

2.1. ISOC Liaison

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
27 March 2013

Topics:

I. ISOC Briefing Panel during IETF86
II. Best Current Operational Practices
III. IPv6 network operator statistics
IV. WSIS +10 Review event
V. IGF Open Consultations and MAG meetings
VI. IETF Policy Guest Program
VII. ITU WTPF
VIII. WCIT Follow-up
IX. Privacy
X. Digital content
XI. Conference on the Importance of an Open and Multi-Stakeholder
Internet in Africa

I. ISOC Briefing Panel during IETF86
The ISOC Briefing Panel during IETF86 was "Content is King; How Do we
Avoid Playing the Pauper?". An interesting session that focused on
whether we can bring together pieces we already have for Internet
applications infrastructure to better support the expression (and use)
of content creators' intentions for digital content use. More detail,
including a pointer to a video of the session itself, is available here:

http://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2013/03/digital-content-rights-

expression-putting-our-heads-together-make-progress

II. Best Current Operational Practices
We continue our work to socialize the idea of a "global best current
operational practice" (BCOP) effort and take input from operator groups
around the globe. Recent activities include presenting our proposed BCOP
work to the Poland Network Operators Group (PLNOG) with an audience of
approximately 700 people. The operators are very interested in the work
and want to see it move forward.

III. IPv6 network operator statistics
The first IPv6 network operator statistics update for 2013 has been
published: http://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/ Of note, there
are tens of additional networks making the qualifying for listing (with
greater than 0.1% of their traffic to the measuring sites running over
IPv6). New listings include: Deutsche Telekom, Telefonica del Peru, and
VOO from Belgium, each of which is delivering significant volumes of
IPv6 traffic.

IV. WSIS +10 Review event
The Internet Society was heavily engaged in the preparatory process of
the WSIS+10 Review event, organized by UNESCO from 25 to 27 February
2013, in Paris: http://www.internetsociety.org/wsis/isoc-wsis10-
knowledge-connects Over the past three months, Constance Bommelaer
assisted UNESCO staff in organizing their Human Rights and Freedom of
Expression-related workshops. In the final negotiation process, the ISOC
delegation successfully influenced the outcomes of the UNESCO WSIS+10
final statement and recommendations, introducing key text recognizing
the open Internet and open standards, the multi-stakeholder model (e.g.
the IGF) and supporting intellectual property. This positive outcome is
key in the second and final phase of the WSIS Review which will be
organized by the ITU in April 2014. Ground has been secured to keep the
process open and inclusive in 2014 and to uphold the principles of
multi-stakeholderism or free flow of information.

The ISOC team was also engaged in various workshops held at this event:

- "Enhanced Cooperation: from Deadlock to Dialogue. Reflections on What
Needs to be Done". Speakers from all stakeholder groups recognized that
a lot has changed since 2005; new bridges have been built and
institutional processes have opened in many cases. There was a large
support to steer away from definitional discussions (what does "enhanced
cooperation mean"), towards a more pragmatic and operational approach to
this issue by doing a mapping exercise and addressing gaps on this
basis, if any. Governmental representatives stressed that they don't
necessarily see the gaps in the existing structures, but rather
expressed difficulty to follow all existing processes (lack of human
resources, lack of knowledge on what is happening and where). The CSTD
working group on enhanced cooperation will be an opportunity to gather
input on how and where enhanced cooperation is happening, and where
there may be room for improvement. The discussions on enhanced
cooperation have been happening in many contexts including the WSIS +10
review event in February, and should continue at the IGF and in other
spaces.

- There was also a workshop on enhanced cooperation with regard to
numbering and addressing, co-organized by the RIRs and ICANN. The panel
had a live link-up with the APRICOT meeting in Singapore and provided
useful information on progress made by the I* organizations to engage
governments with their policy development processes.

- "Internet Governance Principles: Towards a Multistakeholder and
Universal Framework of Commitments". ISOC (Constance Bommelaer and
Nicolas Seidler) organized and co-moderated a workshop discussing
Internet Governance principles that have emerged in recent years from
several actors of the Internet ecosystem. There were diverging views
whether or not achieving universal principles would be realistic or
productive (given diversity of stakeholders and regions), but there was
wide agreement that the process itself would be a valuable exercise (the
power of principles is in their making), towards more shared
understanding among stakeholders.

- "Beyond the Code: Are Human Rights Part of the Internet’s DNA?"
Nicolas Seidler led a workshop discussing the impact of the open
Internet architecture and new network technologies on users' ability to
exercise their right to freedom of expression and freedom of
association. Discussions recognized that by empowering users at the
edges rather than the center of the network, the Internet embodies
democratic values and fosters a wide range of Human Rights. There was
strong support for the open and transparent processes upon which
Internet standards are developed, as they ultimately allow the users to
define what the Internet is and what the future knowledge society will
become.

- Under the "cybersecurity" theme, the Internet Society (Christine
Runnegar) started the discussion in the WSIS+10 Review Meeting by
leading the first session entitled "Cybersecurity: searching for a
common understanding". The panel (comprised of representatives from the
African Union, WEF, OECD, US Government, CDT, Google, EuroISPA and
Microsoft) tackled some difficult issues including: what is
cybersecurity?; what are the dynamics of cyber-threats and cyber-risks?;
in addressing cybersecurity, what are we doing well and what needs
improvement?; what are some solutions or ways forward? This session was
important for the Internet Society's policy outreach on security issues,
not only in terms of the content, but also as a signal that the Internet
Society is a natural convener for robust constructive dialogue on the
issues.

- The Internet Society (Christine Runnegar) also led a session entitled
"The New PII: Privacy-Impacting Information" under the Ethics theme,
which explored whether the concept of “personal data” has evolved in
light of societal, commercial and technological developments and the
realities of "anonymized" data. Additionally, the Internet Society gave
an informal preview of the results of a micro survey it conducted in the
lead-up to the session, which invited respondents to "write their own
definition of personal data".

- IPR: ISOC’s Konstantinos Komaitis organized a workshop on the issue of
public and private regulatory initiatives in the intellect property
enforcement space. Notwithstanding the divergent views and vibrant
discussions, there were three issues that emerged and on which the
participants agreed: intellectual property enforcement efforts would
benefit from multistakeholder, inclusive processes; intellectual
property enforcement initiatives should follow the rule of law; and,
last but not least, intellectual property mechanisms should respect the
open nature and architecture of the Internet.

- “Cultural and Linguistic Diversity: Exploring Economic and Educational
Aspects of Local Content”. The Internet Society (Constance Bommelaer and
Dawit Bekele) co-organized this workshop with UNESCO and presented the
results of the study realized by ISOC, UNESCO and OECD on “The
relationship between local content, Internet development and access
prices”. The findings show that there is a correlation between the
development of Internet infrastructure and the growth of local content;
between the development of Internet infrastructure and the lowering of
Internet access prices; and between the growth of local content and the
lowering of prices. These findings call for policy makers to put their
efforts on both local content and Internet infrastructure development to
provide affordable Internet for their citizens.

V. IGF Open Consultations and MAG meetings
The UN asked Markus Kummer to chair the open consultations and the MAG
meeting on an interim basis. The meeting was held in Paris, back-to-back
with the WSIS +10 event, and allowed to make good progress on the
preparations of IGF 2013. There was a general feeling in the room that
the IGF needed to experiment with new formats and also look for new
headings for the main sessions and look for ways to improve the
documentation of the proceedings.

VI. IETF Policy Guest Program
ISOC's Public Policy team hosted 9 Policy Guests plus one Engineering
Fellow (recommended by her government after IETF 85) at IETF 86.
Thanks to the warm reception by the community, the Policy Guests gained
a broad appreciation for the work and guiding principles of the IETF as
well as more specific information on key aspects of Internet technology
such as routing, DNS, interconnection and spam (among other topics). The
group encouraged ISOC to continue to build bridges between the technical
and policy communities and many committed to encouraging greater support
for the Open Standards model back in their home countries. ISOC's
Regional Bureau in Latin America is already making plans to follow up
with the various policy participants going forward. A newsletter account
of the program may be found here: http://bit.ly/10Fvkoe (PDF). ISOC
would like to thank the IETF and IAB for their ongoing and extremely
valuable support for this program.

VII. ITU WTPF
The ITU will host the WTPF on 13-15 May 2013 and the theme will be
international Internet-related Public Policy issues. The output of the
meeting will be a Secretary-General's Report and a series of non-binding
Opinions. The latest version of the report and the draft Opinions may
be found here: http://www.itu.int/en/wtpf-13/. In general, the report
focuses on well-worn issues of Internet governance rather than on
forward looking topics that will help bring about greater connectivity
and affordability. The Secretary-General's report will likely not be
changed but the Opinions will be discussed in greater detail during the
WTPF and may change substantially. ISOC is preparing its outreach and
communications strategy for the event which will likely focus on the
principles that clearly make the Internet work - open and interoperable
standards, bottom-up multistakeholder participation and cooperation.

VIII. WCIT Follow-up
The Internet Society (Karen Mulberry) is working on a spam project to
tackle head-on one of the key issues that emerged at WCIT. The spam
project plan will be released on April 1st. The plans call for the
launch of Workshops for regulators in Africa, Latin America and the Asia
Pacific region over the next twelve months. Meetings between technical
organizations and the technical community in developing countries are
also being arranged to align with the Workshops for regulators. In
addition a proposal to IGF 2013 has been submitted for a panel
discussion on spam issues and challenges for all stakeholders.

The Internet Society participated in various meetings assessing the
outcome of WCIT: Karen Mulberry presented at the Cyberdialogue 2013 at
the University of Toronto which focused on the outcomes of WCIT, and the
Canadian Internet Forum in Ottawa. Markus Kummer participated in panel
discussions at an event organized by the Swiss Chapter in Bern and by
the European country code TLD organization CENTR in Lisbon. He also
participated in an event organized by the Oxford Internet Institute to
assess the post-WCIT situation. Much of the discussion focused on how to
improve the outreach to governments from developing countries which are
looking for concrete solutions to their perceived problems, such as
spam.

Common to all these events was that participants voiced significant
concerns regarding the potential for further impacts on Internet
Governance and the multistakeholder model in view of next year’s ITU
Plenipotentiary Conference which will redefine the role of the ITU going
forward.

IX. Privacy
The W3C Privacy Interest Group (PING), co-chaired by Christine Runnegar,
held its monthly call on 28 February 2013 [1]. The main agenda item was
a discussion of potential privacy risks and vulnerabilities associated
with a draft specification for Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) in
HTML5. PING will follow up with a more in-depth review of EME, and
continue work on developing privacy guidance for Web standards.

PING will be holding its next call on 28 March 2013 [2]. A
representative of the WebRTC and Device APIs WGs’ Media Capture Task
Force will be introducing their work regarding camera and microphone
access to open up a discussion regarding privacy considerations.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/2013JanMar/
0062.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/2013JanMar/
0063.html

Online Privacy: Consenting to your future
At the invitation of the EU Seventh Framework consortium partners in the
CONSENT project [1], the Internet Society participated in two panels at
the “Online Privacy: Consenting to your future” conference (20-21 March
2013) [2]. The organizers presented some of the results of the CONSENT
project, which is due to be completed by the end of April 2013. CONSENT
is described by the partners as “the largest EU-supported multi-million
Euro research project investigating consumer sentiment and privacy in
on-line situations” [3].

[1] http://www.consent.law.muni.cz/
[2] http://www.onlineprivacyconference.eu/
[3] see, http://www.consent.law.muni.cz/view.php?cisloclanku=2010070014

X. Digital content
The Internet Society (Frederic Donck and Konstantinos Komaitis)
organized a breakfast meeting in Brussels on 20 March on the
relationship between copyright and technology. At this event,
Konstantinos reiterated the position of the Internet Society in relation
to upholding the existing Internet architecture and not creating policy
that endangers the Internet's nature. Moreover, Konstantinos also
chaired an academic panel on digital content at the CPR Europe
conference, addressing some of the misconceptions between the policy
makers in relation to what operating an open standards' network entails
and the importance in retaining it.

The Internet Society, represented by Konstantinos, participated in the
'Licenses for Europe' working group on user-generated content and
licenses - an initiative promulgated by the EU Commission. The meeting
took place in Brussels on 25 February. He presented and clarified the
Internet Society's position regarding inclusiveness and multistakeholder
participation as well as the need for balance and scope.

XI. Conference on the Importance of an Open and Multi-Stakeholder
Internet in Africa (5 March 2012, Geneva)
ISOC (Nicolas Seidler) organized a public forum with the U.S. Mission to
the UN in Geneva about “The Importance of an Open and Multi-Stakeholder
Internet - What’s at Stake for Freedom of Expression and Economic Growth
in Africa?”. The session addressed some of the key challenges and
opportunities for an enabling Internet environment in Africa, and how
these relate both to the ability of people to innovate, as well as to
their ability to share information and ideas. A webcast of the session
is available: http://goo.gl/ZifUW

–End ISOC Liaison Report–

2.2. IESG Liaison

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Barry Leiba–

Recent New Working Groups:
Hypertext Transfer Protocol Authentication (httpauth)
JSON data formats for vCard and iCalendar (jcardcal)

Recently Closed Working Groups:
Email Address Internationalization (eai)
Kerberos (krb-wg), work absorbed into kitten
FEC Framework (fecframe)

Recently Rechartered:
Sunsetting IPv4 (sunset4)
Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (xmpp)

Working on charters:
JavaScript Object Notation (json)
Aggregated Service Discovery (aggsrv)
iSchedule (isched)
IMAP Condstore & QResync (qresync)

SDO coordination:
Prospective JSON working group has a liaison issue with ECMA (Barry,
Eliot working)

Notes to the IESG:
IAB document "Principles for Unicode Code Point Inclusion in Labels in
the DNS" (RFC-to-be 6912) in AUTH48

–End IESG Liaison Report–

2.3. RFC Editor Liaison

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

1. RSE Report

Update on Active Projects
* RFC Format
The RFC Series Format Requirements and Future Development document was
approved for publication during IETF 86. A message will go out to the
community in April indicating what direction we will be exploring
regarding the format and work will begin on the appropriate SoWs at that
time.

* RFC Style Guide
The RPC and the RSE continue to collect items that must be included in
the Style Guide, but actual drafting of text is on hold until the Format
Requirements document is out of the draft stage.

Other items of note
* The RSE attended most Area and Area WG sessions at IETF 86, coming
away with a better feel for the activities and flow of information
within the IETF. This will be the general agenda followed for future
IETF meetings.

2. RFC Production Center
See attached graph for current SLA information.

March Stats for the RFC Editor
Submissions: 25
Publications: 26

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report–

2.4. IRTF Chair

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

- Folks are proposing a new RG on network coding. The discussion list is
at nwcrg@irtf.org. A wiki is at
http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/nwcrg. The meeting in
Orlando went extremely well, and they are planning a second one for
Berlin. If this goes similarly well I'll likely charter them.

- ASRG has closed

- SAMRG is publishing their final two documents and will then close.

- The IRTF is co-sponsoring the MANIAC programming challenge on the
Saturday before Berlin. See my email to irtf-announce from just now.

–End IRTF Chair Report–

3. April Tech Chat

Hannes Tschofenig reported that Stephen Farrell, one of the invited speakers, would not be able to attend the IAB Tech Chat on “Certification Transparency and Alternative Certification” planned for 3 April 2013. After discussion, the board agreed to postpone the Tech Chat on this topic until 1 May 2013. The IAB will hold a regular business meeting on 3 April 2013.

4. Retreat Planning

Russ Housley asked the IAB to start listing potential topics for the retreat agenda on the internal wiki page so that a draft agenda can be put out for comment early next week.

Jari Arkko noted that he has sent an email to the IESG and IAB asking for technical topics to discuss at the joint IAB/IESG session on 8 May 2013.

Cindy Morgan reminded the board that the hotel reservation deadline is 31 March 2013, and asked board members to let her know if they have any trouble getting confirmations for their reservations.

5. IETF/IEEE 802 Leadership Meeting Debrief

Spencer Dawkins briefly recapped the IETF Leadership meeting with the IEEE 802 that was held in Orlando on 16 March 2013, noting that work on RFC 4441rev is progressing, and that there was a discussion of shared work items and mutual challenges between the IETF and IEEE 802.

Russ Housley noted that the IETF is still looking for advice on how to deal with regulators; Russ agreed to reach out to Dorothy Stanley (802.11 Liaison to IETF) for more information; Bernard Aboba and Eliot Lear both agreed to reach out within their own companies to see if anyone has advice.

Spencer Dawkins noted that the IEEE 802 will likely post information about work on OmniRAN to the new-work mailing list soon, and that the IAB should begin considering a response.

6. IETF Session at IGF

Jari Arkko reported that he is putting together an IETF informational session for the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) meeting being held in Bali in October 2013. The goals of the session are to provide education about the IETF and to entice more participation in the IETF from southeast Asia. Mat Ford asked that any logistical help needed from ISOC be requested as soon as possible, as ISOC will be busy planning their own sessions at IGF.

The IGF session will be discussed further by the IAB and the IESG at the joint retreat session on 8 May 2013.

7. Liaison Oversight

7.1. ECMA

The board approved sending a letter to ECMA regarding the JSON specification.

7.2. ZigBee Alliance

Spencer Dawkins agreed to check with the liaison manager about the current status of the IETF liaison relationship with ZigBee Alliance.

8. RSSAC

8.1. RSSAC Restructuring IAB Response

The board approved the following response to the RSSAC restructuring proposal:

Per RFC2850, the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) sees its liaison role to RSSAC to be essential and strategic for the Internet Architecture. The IETF has a key role in discussing the technical requirements of the DNS root servers together with the root server operators, ICANN and the various stakeholders. The IAB welcomes the restructuring of the RSSAC.

Our reading of the planned restructuring leads us to believe that the Executive circle will be the active decision-making body in the RSSAC. In order to be an effective link between the bodies, the IAB liaison will need to communicate directly with the decision authority in the RSSAC. Therefore, the IAB requests that the IAB (non-voting) liaison be placed within the Executive circle as described in the current RSSAC document.

The response was sent to Matt Larson and Peter Koch on 28 March 2013.

8.2. RFC 2870bis

Discussion of this topic was deferred to the next IAB Business Meeting (3 April 2013) due to time constraints.

9. ICANN Board of Directors Liaison Appointment

Candidate interviews are still ongoing; discussion of this topic was deferred to the next IAB Business Meeting (3 April 2013).

10. Executive Session: Liaison from IETF to ITU-T

The ITU-T Coordination Program recommended Scott Mansfield as the replacement for Eliot Lear as liaison manager for the ITU-T. The IAB approved this selection.

11. Executive Session: ISOC Board of Trustees Appointment

Eliot Lear and Andrew Sullivan recused themselves from the discussion. The IAB made an appointment to the ISOC Board of Trustees in an Executive Session. Russ Housley will confirm the appointee’s acceptance of the position and follow up with the other candidates.