Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2013-04-24

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2013»IAB Minutes 2013-04-24

Minutes of the 2013-04-24 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

PRESENT
  • Bernard Aboba
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Ross Callon
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • Russ Housley (IAB Chair)
  • Barry Leiba (IESG Liaison)
  • Xing Li
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Assistant)
  • Andrew Sullivan
  • Dave Thaler
  • Hannes Tschofenig
REGRETS
  • Mary Barnes (IAB Executive Director)
  • Spencer Dawkins
  • Eliot Lear

1.2. Administrivia

Cindy Morgan reminded the board that the BOF Coordination call with the IESG is scheduled for 20 June 2013.

1.3. Action item review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 10 April 2013 business meeting were approved.

2. Liaison updates (Liaisons) – 5 mins

2.1. ISOC Liaison

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
23 April 2013

Topics:

I. ISOC sponsoring MANIAC Challenge
II. IETF Fellows
III. ICANN
IV. Post-WCIT
V. ITU WTPF-13 preparations
VI. CEPT COM-ITU
VII. OECD
VIII. W3C Privacy Interest Group (PING)

I. ISOC sponsoring MANIAC Challenge
The MANIAC Challenge (http://2013.maniacchallenge.org) is a competition
to better understand cooperation and interoperability in ad hoc
networks. The 3rd challenge is taking place in Berlin adjacent to the
IETF meeting in July. ISOC is providing sponsorship to allow any
participants in the challenge the opportunity to attend the IETF meeting
by covering the cost of their meeting registration.

II. IETF Fellows
We currently have 9 fully confirmed policy guests for IETF Berlin. The
group comes from francophone Africa and Europe. We expect about 15
engineer fellows as well.

III. ICANN
ISOC attended the ICANN46 meeting in Beijing. Markus Kummer chaired the
ISOC@ICANN meeting, participated in a panel on Internet governance
organised by ICANN, and was a speaker in a workshop organised by the Non
Commercial Users' Constituency.

IV. Post-WCIT
ISOC started work on developing a cross-organisational post-WCIT
strategy. The strategy will bring together a strong regional and global
presence - emphasizing technical resources, access/development, and
inclusion. A new spam project will be a part of this broader post-WCIT
strategy.

V. ITU WTPF-13 preparations
ISOC President and CEO, Lynn St. Amour, will be speaking at the
Strategic Dialogue event that will take place on the day prior to the
WTPF-13 meeting proper (http://www.itu.int/en/wtpf-13/Pages/
dialogue.aspx). The ISOC public policy team is continuing their work of
preparing analyses of Informal Experts Group Draft Opinions and other
input contributions.

VI. CEPT COM-ITU
The Internet Society, RIPE NCC and ICANN participated as observers at
the recent European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications
Administrations (CEPT) Committee for ITU Policy (Com-ITU) meeting (16-18
April 2013). This committee organises the coordination of CEPT actions
and positions in relation to various ITU activities.

VII. OECD
- Committee for Information, Computer and Communications Policy (ICCP):
Constance Bommelaer and Nicolas Seidler led the Internet Technical
Advisory Committee (ITAC) delegation (ISOC, ICANN, IEEE, Ripe NCC, etc.)
at the ICCP meeting (11-12 April). Several important issues were
discussed including the renewal of the ICCP’s mandate - its post-WCIT
strategy -, future work on Internet intermediaries with an angle on
economic value, IPv6 and IXPs.
- Working Party on Information Security and Privacy (WPISP): Christine
Runnegar coordinated ITAC's participation in the WPISP (9-10 April) and
the Security Expert Group (SEG) for the review of the 2002 Security
Guidelines (8 April 2013). One of the highlights was the Roundtable on
Developments in Cryptography Policy. This item of the agenda was very
well received by the OECD members. On the security front, ISOC's
contributions included an emphasis on the importance of preserving
Internet principles; an articulation of the various facets of the risk
landscape; and better ways to address risk.

VIII. W3C Privacy Interest Group (PING)
The W3C Privacy Interest Group, co-chaired by Christine Runnegar, held
its monthly call on 25 March 2013. The main agenda item was a discussion
of potential privacy risks and vulnerabilities associated with the
getUserMedia API. PING will follow up with a more in-depth review, and
continue work on developing privacy guidance for Web standards
(including regarding fingerprinting):

http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html

Informal chairs summary (25 February 2013):

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/2013JanMar/0062.html

Informal chairs summary (25 March 2013):

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/2013AprJun/0001.html

2.2. IESG Liaison

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Barry Leiba–

Working group activity:

Rechartering:
JSON Object Signing and Encryption (jose)
Forwarding and Control Element Separation (forces)

Active chartering:
IMAP Condstore & QResync (qresync)
SIP-TO-XMPP (stox)

Working on charter proposals:
JavaScript Object Notation (json)
Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting and Conformance (dmarc)

SDO coordination:
Prospective JSON working group has a liaison issue with ECMA (Barry,
Eliot finalizing)

Chair changes:
CDNI: Rich Woundy (Comcast) stepping down, replaced by Daryl Malas
(Cablelabs)
ForCES: Patrick Droz stepping down, no replacement yet

–End IESG Liaison Report–

2.3. RFC Editor Liaison

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–
1. RSE Report

Update on Active Projects
* RFC Format
The message to the community has been reviewed and approved by the
RSOC, and we’re working on the associated FAQ now. That should be done
in the next few days and sent to rfc-interest and ietf@ietf.org

* RFC Style Guide
Sandy Ginoza, Alice Russo and I have had several working meetings on
updating the Style Guide. The RSAG has been helpful in helping clarify
some of the pain points around changes in pagination requirements,
headers and footers. Dan Romenescu has been of assistance in helping
Heather Flanagan find the correct people at the IEEE to discuss how they
manage page layout for their publications (Word and FrameMaker to create
a PDF).

Other items of note
* ISA Online Specification Service
There is an activity going on in Europe to build a catalog of
information pointing to various legal, political, technical, and other
“semantic assets” relevant to the EU organized by ISA
(http://ec.europa.eu/isa/). Getting RFCs included in this catalog is of
value for having the IETF seen as a equal player, and provide easy
alternative access in places where people may not traditionally look for
or find RFCs. Heather Flanagan participated in a webinar today that
went over the various requirements currently being considered for the
development of this catalog to learn if and how the RFC Series might
want to participate in this effort. It was a fairly early conversation
between about 30 participants to discuss why this effort is important to
EU member states. Heather will continue to monitor this effort to
determine if and when the we might become more closely engaged.

2. RFC Production Center
* Citations
“citations@rfc-editor.org” has been set up; replaces a non-functioning
email address on <http://xml.resource.org/>. The purpose is to receive
mail from users about corrections for the existing xml2rfc citation library.

* Errata
The RPC is having an internal discussion about how to improve the
errata system, whether a separate mechanism (separate from errata) is
needed for community to submit comments on RFCs, and if so, what would
be a suggested process for supporting that structure. See

http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2013-April/thread.html#5546

for the related discussion on the rfc-interest mailing list.

* xml2rfc v2
The RPC continuing to test xml2rfc v2 and report bugs.

April Stats for the RFC Editor
Submissions: 21
Publications: 35

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report–

2.4. IRTF Chair

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

- We are getting ready to open nominations for the 2014 ANRP cycle

- NCRG chair change (Geoff Huston -> Dave Meyer)

- Created a discussion list for "Emerging Regions Internet Challenges
And Solutions" (ERICAS) at ericas@irtf.org

- Folks are proposing a new RG on network coding. The discussion list is
at nwcrg@irtf.org. A wiki is at
http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/nwcrg. The meeting in
Orlando went extremely well, and they are planning a second one for
Berlin. If this goes similarly well I'll likely charter them.

–End IRTF Chair Report–

3. NomCom Liaison 2013-2014

The IAB appointed Alissa Cooper as the IAB Liaison to the NomCom for 2013-2014.

4. Retreat Planning

Russ Housley reminded board members who will be leading discussions at the 2013 Retreat to fill in the abstracts and desired outcomes for their discussion topics on the internal wiki page.

The board agreed to remove the agenda topic on ITU-T Program organization. Bernard Aboba suggested that some of the time made available by that could be added to the time allotted for the WebRTC standardization discussion. Alissa Cooper noted that the mentoring topic could probably be handled in one hour.

5. IETF 87 Technical Plenary

The board discussed the Technical Plenary for IETF 87. After discussion, Russ Housley agreed to send a message to the IETF community soliciting suggestions for topics that could be presented by invited speakers, panels, or lightning talks.

6. RSOC Membership Review

The board approved the text for the Call for RSOC Nominations. Russ Housley will send the Call for Nominations to the IETF Community.

7. Zigbee Alliance Liaison Manager

The board approved the text for the Call for Volunteers for the liaison manager for the IETF Liaison to the Zigbee Alliance, noting that replies should be sent to the IAB Chair and IAB Executive Director.

8. Errata on RFC4948 (3504)

The board agreed to change the response on the Errata on RFC4948 (3504) to “Rejected.” Russ Housley will work with the RFC Editor to update the database.

Barry Leiba agreed to send a message to the IESG noting that the IESG Statement on IESG Processing of RFC Errata for the IETF Stream might also benefit from adding guidelines for handling errata in cases where the proposed editorial changes make the text less clear grammatically.

9. draft-iab-privacy-considerations

Alissa Cooper reported that draft-iab-privacy-considerations has been updated to address comments received during the IETF-wide Call for Comment. One comment that has not been addressed is a request to add a one-sentence definition of “privacy,” because the Privacy Program does not believe that the definition can be pared down to one sentence, especially considering the document is intended to ask the reader to consider all of the various aspects of privacy.

During the discussion, Dave Thaler noted that RFC 4949 includes three definitions of “privacy.” Alissa Cooper agreed to take those definitions back to the Privacy Program and ask if any of them are appropriate for inclusion in the document.

Concurrently, the IAB agreed to start IAB Call for Approval on draft-iab-privacy-considerations. Cindy Morgan will send the Call for Approval message out to the IAB.

10. Liaison to ITU-T for MPLS

Ross Callon reported that he worked with Joel Halpern and Scott Mansfield to interview the people who responded to the Call for Volunteers for the IETF ITU-T Liaison Manager for MPLS position.

In an Executive Session, the IAB appointed a new liaison manager for the ITU-T MPLS liaison. Scott Mansfield will verify availability of the appointed liaison manager and notify the other candidates. Ross Callon and Joel Halpern will draft text for the IAB Chair to send to the community announcing the appointment.

11. Other Business

There was no other business, and the meeting was adjourned.