Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2013-12-11

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2013»IAB Minutes 2013-12-11

Minutes of the 2013-12-11 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

  • Bernard Aboba
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Mary Barnes (IAB Executive Director)
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Ross Callon
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • Russ Housley (IAB Chair)
  • Eliot Lear
  • Barry Leiba (IESG Liaison)
  • Xing Li
  • Alexey Melnikov (RSOC Chair)
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Assistant)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Andrew Sullivan
  • Dave Thaler
  • Hannes Tschofenig
  • Jonne Soininen, ICANN Liaison

1.2. Administrivia

An item on /1net was added to the agenda.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 27 November 2013 business meeting remain under review.

2. Liaison Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
10 December 2013


I. Reducing Internet Latency
II. IETF Journal Reader Survey
III. IGF Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group
IV. Council of Europe
V. W3C Privacy Interest Group (PING)
VII. Policy Engagement

I. Reducing Internet Latency
The report from the September 2013 Reducing Internet Latency workshop is 
now available:

II. IETF Journal Reader Survey
We recently carried out an IETF Journal reader survey.  It concluded 
with 125 participants and the results are in:
* People who know about and read the Journal, read it pretty regularly.
* Readers really like the extended technical pieces.
* Hardcopy is still very popular.
* Suggestions were mostly general accolades about liking the Journal. 
Other comments included both "send more hard copies" and "kill off the 
hard copies" and several pleas for more technical articles.

III. IGF Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group
The Internet Society coordinated the process for the recommendation of 
Internet technical community representatives for the renewal of the UN 
IGF Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group (MAG). The objective is to rotate 
one third of MAG members. The Nominating Committee recommended five 
individuals: Lyman Chapin; Gihan Dias; Xiadong Lee; Izumi Okutani, and; 
Filiz Yilmaz. The UN is expected to select the MAG representatives 
before the MAG meeting in February 2014. More information regarding the 
process is available here:

IV. Council of Europe
The Internet Society participated as an observer in the first meeting of 
the Council of Europe Ad Hoc Committee on Data Protection (CAHDATA) 
(12-14 November 2013). CAHDATA is tasked with finalising and submitting 
proposals for the modernisation of Convention 108 to the Committee of 
Ministers, having regard to the proposals prepared by the Consultative 
Committee of Convention No. 108 (T-PD). A second meeting will be held 
from 28 to 30 April 2014. The abridged report is available: http://

V. W3C Privacy Interest Group (PING)
The next PING teleconference will be held on 5 December 2013. Two of the 
topics on the agenda for discussion are: (i) Fingerprinting Guidance for 
Web Specification Authors and (ii) Web standards and surveillance (what 
can PING do?).

ISOC is working to set up meetings between the IAB and IETF Chairs, and 
UK government officials prior to IETF 89. For our policy fellows 
program, we expect a larger than usual group at IETF 89 as we will not 
host a policy program at IETF 91.  We have invited officials from 
Africa, the Arab Region and Europe.

VII. Policy Engagement
Several IETF WGs have made enquiries regarding how to get appropriate 
policy input on key technical topics (STIR, PAWS, ECRIT).  We are 
considering how to leverage our policy program alumni to begin this 
process.  Some of these topics may also be relevant to include in our 
policy program for IETF 89. In the context of CITEL (the Latin American 
Regional group for telecom/ICT), ISOC has been asked to host a number of 
training/informational webinars on topics of interest in 2014.  On the 
list thus far are Internet interconnection, operational issues (routing 
resiliency, best operational practices), current Internet challenges 
(IPv6, DNSSEC), and a general introduction to the IETF.

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Barry Leiba–

Recent new working groups:
- Extensible Provisioning Protocol Extensions (eppext) [approved on
  12/5; chairs are Jim Galvin and Antoin Verschuren.]
- Using TLS in Applications (uta) [approved on 12/5; chairs are Leif 
  Johansson and Orit Levin.]

Recently rechartered working groups:
- Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure
  (opsec) [approved on 11/21]
- Content Delivery Networks Interconnection (cdni) [approved on 12/5]
- Emergency Context Resolution with Internet Technologies (ecrit)
  [approved on 12/5]
- Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (bfd) [approved on 12/5]

Current new chartering:
- Service Function Chaining (sfc) [Internal review on 12/5, back for
  further discussion on 12/19]

Current rechartering:
- Multiple Interfaces (mif) [IETF review, on 12/19]

Recently closed working groups:
- Reputation Services (repute)

Personnel changes:
- JP Vasseur has stepped down as roll chair, replaced by Ines Robles,
  who had been WG secretary

Other items:
- JSON-related liaisons are going back and forth between ECMA TC39 and
  us, and between W3C and us.  Pete and the JSON WG chairs are working
  on formal responses.
- Benoît is handling a liaison letter from the Next Generation
  Converged Operations Requirements (NGCOR) project in the Next
  Generation Mobile Networks (NGMN) alliance.

–End IESG Liaison Report, Barry Leiba–

2.3. IRTF Liaison Report

–Begin IRTF Liaison Report, Lars Eggert–

- Chartered the NWCRG.

- *Still* closing the SAMRG once draft-irtf-samrg-common-api is
published (is in AUTH48 state).

- Trying to reboot the RRG. Mailing list discussion promising. Tony
agreed to facilitate the reboot and then hand over.

- 46 nominations for 2014 ANRP selection; review process underway,
notifications to happen in December. Committee increased by four; more
volunteers for the 2015 cycle from amongst the past awardees.

–End IRTF Liaison Report, Lars Eggert–

2.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I. Public Comments needing attention

The TLG bylaws change can be a bit interesting for the IETF. Though, the
discussion has been already ongoing between the IETF and ICANN. I did
not identify other topics that would be interesting Second
Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT 2) Draft Report &
< recommendations-21oct13-en.htm> 
(Reply period: December 13th, 2013)

Proposed Bylaws Changes Regarding the Technical Liaison Group
< en.htm> 
(Reply period: December 20th, 2013)

Thick Whois Policy Development Process (PDP) Recommendations for Board
< recommendations-06nov13-en.htm> 
(December 28th, 2013)

Protection of IGO and INGO Identifiers in All gTLDs (PDP)
Recommendations for Board Consideration
< recommendations-27nov13-en.htm> 
(Comment period: December 18th, 2013,
Reply period: January 8th, 2014)

ccNSO FoI WG's Interim Report on "Revocation"
(December 20th, 2013/January 31st, 2014)

Study on Whois Misuse
< en.htm>
(December 27th 2013/January 18th 2014)

ICANN's Draft Vision, Mission & Focus Areas for a Five-Year Strategic
(January 31st 2014)

Status Update from the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services
(February 28th, 2014)

II. Upcoming topics that could be relevant

Technical Liaison Group (TLG) reorganization

ICANN hosted a meeting around the TLG during the ICANN Buenos Aires
meeting. ICANN itself has not used too much time internally thinking
about the role of the TLG and what would be final purpose. This opens up
opportunities for proposals if IAB/IETF would have some. This most
probably would be at least worth while topic to discuss.

Name collision management

Name collisions were only briefly discussed during the Buenos Aires
meeting. The only complaint about the current proposed way forward has
been that people had not been asked about it. Otherwise, it seems that
at this point there were few complaints. ICANN has commissioned a study
from a contractor on the collision management framework. This should be
coming to the public comment in the beginning of the year. ICANN has
started work on outreach for name collisions. As a part of this effort,
they have written a "Guide to Name Collision Identification and
Mitigation for IT Professionals", which came out on December 5th. I have
not read this myself, yet.

Internet Governance

Internet Governance and 1net was one of the main topics of the ICANN
meeting. There was a lot of confusion about 1net and therefore, an
unscheduled discussion meeting was organized during the ICANN meeting.
There was some confusion among the ICANN community about 1net and ICANN
role in it. However, it seems the discussion time helped the community
at the meeting understand it more, and the community seems to understand
1net better.

ICANN Strategy

Many of the ICANN strategy panels just started at the Buenes Aires ICANN
meeting. The last panel, the Internet Governance panel, is now set up a
bit differently. It is not considered an "ICANN panel" but more
independent. All of the panels' outcome will be considered as input to
the ICANN strategy process.

III. (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance

Next ICANN meeting will be in March 23-27th 2014 in Singapore. The
agenda has not been set, yet.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

2.5. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

1. RSE Report
* IETF 88 and RFC Format
IETF 88 featured a great deal of movement in the RFC Format space.
Particular highlights included a meeting and consensus from the i18n
program regarding the guidance for non-ASCII characters within RFCs and
a BoF to bring the community up to speed on the requirements proposed so
far by the RFC Format Design Team.  So far, feedback has been cautiously
positive.  The community is currently invited to participate in the
discussion on proposed revisions for the XML DTD for future format work.
Discussion for the revised DTD will happen on the rfc-interest mailing

* RFC Style Guide
A revised draft is being discussed by the RPC on 11 December 2013.
After their comments have been incorporated, assuming no major questions
or changes, a revised draft will be posted and community input
requested.  The goal is to have the final draft ready by IETF 89.

* Accessibility Webinar - "Section 508 Refresh – Using WCAG 2.0 to
Evaluate Document Accessibility"
The ADA National Network and the US Access Board hosted a webinar on 5
December 2013 to discuss how to make documents more accessible following
WCAG 2.0 guidelines.  While the majority of the webinar was not directly
applicable to the RFC Series, a question was pre-submitted that asked
"If a document has multiple formats (HTML, PDF, etc.) do all versions of
the document need to follow accessibility guidelines, or is having one
document fully compliant to WCAG 2.0 guidelines sufficient to meet the
U.S. Section 508 requirements?"  The response was that having one
document available that follows the WCAG 2.0 guidelines is sufficient,
but that it may be necessary to make the non-accessible documents less
prominent.  A follow up is required to research the WCAG 2.0 guidelines
more thoroughly to verify that statement.

* International Association of Scientific, Technical and Medical
Publishers seminars on Innovations and E-Publishing
These seminars proved to be an excellent opportunity for publishers and
libraries to share useful trade information.  It was not a trade show
with a vendor room, but a room of practioners listening to a series of
panel discussions and Q&A sessions on specific topics in the field.  For
the Innovation seminar, the day focused in part on "big data" and how
publishers might be able to support librarians and readers by making
available the data that informed the research being published in a given
article.  The E-Publishing seminar featured topics on accessibility, the
use of XML as the digital format of record, and a particularly
interesting case study from the Cambridge University Press on the
challenges they are facing in changing their workflow and format while
still keeping up with their publishing backlog.

* Digital Archive Policy - In Progress
The RFC Editor is not just a publisher.  We are also digital archivists,
responsible for the catalog of digital documents spanning the last 40
years.  With so many changes facing the Series today, from document
format changes to changing expectations from our readership, taking some
time to properly document the responsibilities and activities around our
role as digital archivists is critical.  I am in early stages of
drafting a digital archive policy, which includes research on best
practices in this field.

2. RFC Production Center Report
* IETF 88

The full RFC Editor team enjoyed meeting the community and IAB/IESG.  It
was a great opportunity for the editors to meet the authors they have
been interacting with via email and to get some insight into how the
community works.

* RFC xx99 and xx00 series

We have posted to the News page (
that the xx99 series has been retired.  A note will be sent to the
rfc-interest list on 11 December to formally close this item.  Note also
that draft-rfced-xx00-retired and draft-resnick-retire-std1 have been
announced as RFCs 7101 and 7100, respectively.   RPC is working on
associated cleanup.

November Stats for the RFC Editor
Submissions: 15
Publications: 30

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

3. /1net

The IAB discussed /1net []. Adiel Akplogan (AFRNIC CEO) is spearheading the organization of /1net, and has asked for nominations from the technical community for 5 people to participate in the /1net steering committee by 15 December 2013. The IAB is unclear about the current vision of /1net, and as such is uncertain what the steering committee will be tasked to do. Russ Housley agreed to contact Adiel Akplogan and ask for clarification, as well as confirmation that 15 December 2013 is a hard deadline for appointing people to the steering committee.

/1net is also organizing committees for preparation of the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance planned for Brazil in April 2014. Eliot Lear agreed to draft a map of the currently-known /1net committee space to see where more clarity is needed. Jari Arkko, Alissa Cooper, Russ Housley, and Andrew Sullivan agreed to help Eliot in this effort.

4. IAB Workshop on Internet Technology Adoption and Transition (ITAT)

Eliot Lear briefly reported on the outcomes of the Internet Technology Adoption and Transition (ITAT) Workshop. He noted some recurring themes:

  • RFC 5218, ‘What Makes For a Successful Protocol?’ might need review while considering how the IAB handles BOF reports.
  • Use of economic bundling models might be used to improve adoption of certain Internet protocols.
  • Systems biology might be a reasonable approach for understanding the Internet ecosystem.
  • Internalizing externalities might lead to protocol success, as it did in the case of bitcoin.
  • Interoperability testing might facilitate adoption of new Internet technologies.

Eliot Lear noted that there may be interested in forming a new IRTF Research Group to answer some of the questions raised during the workshop.

Eliot Lear plans to have a draft of the workshop report available to the attendees by early January 2014.

5. draft-iab-cc-workshop-report

Hannes Tschofenig and Bernard Aboba will address the outstanding comments on draft-iab-cc-workshop-report.

6. Privacy Program

Alissa Cooper reported that the Privacy Program is planning to give a Privacy Tutorial on the Sunday before IETF 89. Work is progressing on the Privacy BCP, and future work is planned to address opportunistic encryption.

7. Security Program

Hannes Tschofenig reported that the Security Program is working on WebPKI improvements, and needs to review the documents that describe the different solutions.

Ross Callon stepped down from the Security Program. Bernard Aboba was added to the membership of the Security Program.

8. IANA Program

Ross Callon was added to the membership of the IANA Program.

9. Technical Plenary at IETF 89

The IAB brainstormed potential topics for the Technical Plenary at IETF 89.

Eliot Lear suggested 15-30 minutes covering the IAB Workshop on Internet Technology Adoption and Transition (ITAT), talking about some of the incentive models and success stories to date.

Following up on the discussion of Bitcoin during the ITAT workshop, Dave Thaler suggested a topic in the area of mobile payments, which might go well together with the ITAT report. The IAB agreed this could be an interesting topic if the right speakers could be confirmed. Dave Thaler took an action item to write up a proposal for this plenary topic and post it to the internal wiki for review.

10. Executive Session: ICANN Technical Liaison Group Appointment

Marc Blanchet formally recused himself from the discussion and left the teleconference. The ICANN Technical Liaison Group appointment was discussed in an Executive Session.