Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2014-01-15

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2014»IAB Minutes 2014-01-15

Minutes of the 2014-01-15 IAB Teleconference (Tech Chat & Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia

1.1. Attendance

PRESENT
  • Bernard Aboba
  • Mary Barnes (IAB Executive Director)
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Ross Callon
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • Russ Housley (IAB Chair)
  • Eliot Lear
  • Xing Li
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Assistant)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Andrew Sullivan
  • Dave Thaler
  • Hannes Tschofenig
REGRETS
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Barry Leiba (IESG Liaison)
  • Alexey Melnikov (RSOC Chair)
GUESTS
  • Sharon Goldberg
  • Jonne Soininen
  • Sean Turner

1.2. Administrivia

Cindy Morgan reminded the IAB that the BOF Coordination Call for IETF 89 will be on Wednesday, 22 January 2014.

2. Tech Chat: RPKI/BGPSEC

Dr. Sharon Goldberg, Boston University, joined the IAB to deliver a presentation on “The Transition to BGP Security: Is the Juice Worth the Squeeze?” The presentation slides are available at:
http://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2014/01/whyRPKI.pdf

The presentation drew from two research papers:

  1. “On the Risk of Misbehaving RPKI Authorities”
    http://www.cs.bu.edu/~goldbe/papers/hotRPKI_full.pdf
    Danny Cooper, Ethan Heilman, Kyle Brogle, Leonid Reyzin, Sharon Goldberg.
    HotNets’13, Maryland. November 2013.
  2. “Is the Juice Worth the Squeeze? BGP Security in Partial Deployment”
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.2690
    Robert Lychev, Sharon Goldberg, Michael Schapira.
    SIGCOMM’13, Hong Kong, China. August 2013.

The presentation discussed the security benefits of adopting RPKI and BGPSEC, and how they they alter trust relationships. Sharon Goldberg noted that the RPKI is the most crucial step from a security perspective. BGPSEC provides marginal gains, but it is hard to realize these gains due to conflicting priorities in routing policies. She also noted that RPKI alters trust relationships, and more work needs to be done to make RPKI more robust.

Ross Callon asked about the amount of processing power needed by routers in order to deploy RPKI and BGPSEC, noting that it would slow down deployment if routers need to be upgraded first. Sharon Goldberg replied that for RPKI, the authentication servers download certificates to a local cache, so the verification is done offline and the impact to routers is small. However, with BGPSEC, the cryptography is done online and so there is an impact on the routers. Russ Housley noted that memory is also an issue in BGPSEC, and that the issues are being discussed in the SIDR Working Group. He agreed that the current generation of routers cannot handle BGPSEC without being upgraded first.

Marc Blanchet asked if there is a way to ensure timely (or real-time) access to certificate revocation lists. Sharon Goldberg replied that in this architecture, the user gets the certificate directly from the Certificate Authority, rather than the server it is trying to talk to, and so as long as the user is syncing regularly, out-of-date revocation information should not be an issue. Russ Housley added that there are guidelines for certificate publishers to make sure that the new certificate is in place for a time period before removing the old one.

3. Liaison Reports for December 2013

3.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
14 January 2014

Topics:

I. Operators and the IETF
II. Nominations process for 1net and Brazil Committees
III. WSIS+10 Review
IV. CSTD WSIS follow-up

I. Operators and the IETF
The Deployment & Operationalisation (DO) team at the Internet Society 
have kicked off a new project to facilitate communications between the 
operator community and the IETF to help ensure that operational 
realities inform the development of key standards. The initial data-
gathering exercise includes an online survey and the effort is described 
in more detail here: 

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/blog/2014/01/new-project-operators-and-the-ietf/

II. Nomination process for 1net and Brazil Committees
The Internet Society (ISOC) is coordinating the process leading to 
appointments to represent the Internet technical community in two of the 
“Brazil Planning Committees” and in the “1net Steering Committee”. A 
public call was launched before Christmas and was widely distributed 
through mailing lists (InternetCollaboration, IETF, ISOC members, IGF 
community, etc.) and social media 
(http://www.internetsociety.org/sites/default/files/Call1netBR-ForPublication.pdf). 
The process will be concluded by 17 January.

III. WSIS+10 Review
The WSIS+10 High Level Event will be organized by the ITU, possibly in 
June 2014 (date and location tbc). Following on the first phase of the 
WSIS Review initiated by UNESCO in February last year, the 2014 Review 
will assess progress made in the implementation of the WSIS outcomes 
(2003 and 2005), with a view to developing proposals on a new vision 
beyond 2015, potentially exploring new targets: 

http://www.itu.int/wsis/review/mpp/

ISOC participated in the second physical meeting of the preparatory 
process (16-18 Dec. 2013, Geneva). Input is currently open to all WSIS 
stakeholders (including the IAB) and can be provided until 24 January 
2014. ISOC will continue to be very engaged in this process going 
forward: http://www.internetsociety.org/wsis

IV. CSTD WSIS follow-up
The UN Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD) is 
the focal point to assist the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) in 
assessing the WSIS process. In this respect, the CSTD launches every 
year a call for reports on progress in implementing WSIS Action Lines. 

ISOC's activities are relevant across a wide range of WSIS priorities, 
and we have provided detailed reports on progress achieved in relevant 
areas on an annual basis. Our contribution to the 2013 CSTD "Flow of 
information for the follow-up of the WSIS" is available here: 

http://www.internetsociety.org/achieving-goals-wsis#CSTD

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

3.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Barry Leiba–

After a burst of a lot of new work and rechartering, things quieted
down in December.  Here's what's new:

Recent new working groups:
- Service Function Chaining (sfc) [chairs Jim Guichard, Thomas Narten]

Recently rechartered working groups:
- Multiple Interfaces (mif) [approved on 12/19]

Pending rechartering:
- Network Configuration (netconf) [informal review]

Recently closed working groups:
- ADSL MIB (adslmib)

Personnel changes:
- Suzanne Woolf replaces Peter Koch as DNSOP chair
- Thomas Nadeau replaces David Kessens as NETMOD chair

Other items:
The IESG will be appointing an IAOC member.  We have five willing
nominees, and we are soliciting (and receiving) community input.  As
some of our nominees are also being considered by the NomCom, it's
possible that we'll eliminate one nominee once we are aware of the
NomCom's choice.

–End IESG Liaison Report, Barry Leiba–

3.3. IRTF Liaison Report

–Begin IRTF Liaison Report, Lars Eggert–

- The SAMRG has closed.

- Trying to reboot the RRG. Mailing list was discussion promising, but 
  has fizzled over the holidays. Tony attempting to restart.

- Six out of 46 submissions picked for the 2014 ANRPs; two for each of 
  the three meetings.

- Received a request to replace one of the CFRG chairs, reviewed it and 
  declined it. Decision was appealed to the IAB.

- Started a new mailing list on GAIA ("Global Access to the Internet for 
  All"). Lots of discussion; they seem to plan a "RG-to-be" meeting in 
  London.

–End IRTF Liaison Report, Lars Eggert–

3.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments needing attention
====================================
(http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment)

Second Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT 2) Final Report 
& Recommendations
This is the second Accountability and Transparency Review Team final 
report and recommendations. This is an interesting read for anybody
interested in ICANN activities and what people think are the improvement 
areas to ICANN. 

http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/atrt2-recommendations-09jan14-en.htm

(21 February 2014)

ccNSO FoI WG's Interim Report on "Revocation"
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/foi-interim-28oct13-en.htm>
(December 20th, 2013/January 31st, 2014)

Study on Whois Misuse
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/whois-misuse-27nov13-en.htm>
(December 27th 2013/January 18th 2014)

ICANN's Draft Vision, Mission & Focus Areas for a Five-Year Strategic Plan
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/strategic-29oct13-en.htm>
(January 31st 2014)

Status Update from the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-11nov13-en.htm>
(February 28th, 2014)

II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant
==========================================

The holiday break has slowed things strongly down. The board has only 
had one New gTLD Program Committee (NGPC) meeting and little activity
otherwise as expected at this point of time.

Internet Governance
-------------------

The Brazil meeting is coming up quickly. There is finally now some 
material posted about the meeting 
(http://www.cgi.br/brmeeting/announcement2.html). There seems to be 
quite a bit of discussion in the 1net mailing list also about it, and, 
oh, so many other topics. ICANN will, obviously, be present at the 
meeting, but I would assume the whole I* community would coordinate the 
participation and messaging to the meeting.

III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
========================================================

Next ICANN meeting will be in March 23-27th 2014 in Singapore. The 
agenda has not been set, yet.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

3.5. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

1. RSE report
* RFC Format effort
The Design Team has worked through several iterations of the xml2rfc v2 
vocabulary description, and have some useful conversations on rfc-
interest regarding what needs to be modified for the v3 of the 
vocabulary.  We have a first pass at the SVG profile describing how SVG 
may be used in RFCs.  The HTML requirements are largely documented, but 
more work needs to happen particularly for the PDF requirements.  EPUB 
is being held to a later effort.  Final drafts of documents are expected 
in February for community discussion and planning with the Tools 
Committee for next steps.

* RFC Style Guide
The Style Guide is almost ready for wider review.  Final edits will be 
made during the face to face meeting with the RPC in January, after 
which it will be reviewed by the RSOC and sent to the IAB with a request 
to accept the document as an IAB stream document.  It should be out for 
community review before IETF 89.

* Digital Object Identifiers (DOI)
John Levine, with input from the RSE, has posted a draft describing how 
DOIs should be assigned to RFCs 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-levine-doi/).  This draft will 
first be reviewed by the RPC and Publisher to determine the ultimate 
financial cost for moving ahead with assigning and registering DOIs for 
RFCs, and the draft will go through the usual community review before 
anything is implemented.

* Digital Archive Policy
RFCs are created and published as digital objects.  The RFC Editor is 
not just the publisher of those documents; we are also the archivist for 
the collection.  The RSE is working on a Digital Archive Policy, 
following industry best practices for digital archives, that will 
provide more structured guidance on how to properly fulfill our role as 
the Series archivist.  

2. RFC Production Center report
* 2013 Highlights
-- The SLA was met 11 months out of the last 12, a significant 
   improvement from 2012, which saw the SLA met 4 months out of 12
-- The RPC completed the Datatracker extensions project, resulting in 
   the automation of sending and receiving information regarding 
   approvals and publications of RFCs.
-- A new search page went in to production, providing a cleaner 
   interface and additional features for the community.
-- An RSS feed was made available that announces as new RFCs are 
   published, pointing individuals to appropriate RFC Info pages.

* 2014 sneak preview
-- We plan to update the RFC Editor website
-- We will be implementing digital signatures for RFCs
-- We will modify the publication process as appropriate and educate 
   staff to support the new RFC format

* RSE/RPC face to face meeting at AMS offices - January 14-16
Topics include: discussion of the 2013 Annual Review, project planning 
and discussion of potential funding requests, detailed process review, 
and Style Guide finalization.

3. Plans for IETF 89
-- We are discussing the possibility of "Document Editing Session" at 
   IETF 89 with the IESG.  
-- The RSE will request a BoF to discuss use of non-ASCII characters in 
   RFCs

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

4. Technical Plenary at IETF 89

The IAB discussed speakers for a technical plenary on mobile payments. Dave Thaler reported that he has a potential speaker interested in participating, and that he is waiting for a summary of the specific topic they would focus on. Hannes Tschofenig reported that he has reached out to the OAUTH Working Group and the W3C for additional speakers. Eliot Lear reported that he expects to have the ITAT Workshop report portion of the plenary ready for review later this week.

5. ISOC BoT Appointment

The IAB briefly discussed the timeline for the IAB’s 2014 appointment to the ISOC Board of Trustees, and agreed to open the Call for Nominations on 3 February 2014. The IAB will plan to interview candidates during IETF 89.

6. International Privacy Day

Alissa Cooper reported that she is working on a guest entry for the IETF Chair’s Blog on International Privacy Day (28 January 2014).

7. IGOVUPDATE

The IAB discussed whether to hold an IGOVUPDATE BOF at IETF 89. The board agreed that there are still relevant topics to discuss with the community, such as draft-iab-iana-framework. Marc Blanchet agreed to request a 90-minute BOF session at IETF 89 on behalf of the IAB.

8. RSE Hours Update

The RSOC asked to continue the experiment that allows the RSE to work for 26 working hours per week (an increase from 20 hours per week) for an additional three months. The IAB agreed to support this request, and the IAB Chair will ask the IAOC to adjust the RSE’s contract and funding accordingly.

9. Other Business

The IAB agreed to hold an additional business meeting on 22 January 2014 before the IETF 89 BOF Coordination Call. Eliot Lear will invite Constance Bommelaer from ISOC to the meeting to discuss /1net and the Brazil meeting.