Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2014-02-12

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2014»IAB Minutes 2014-02-12

Minutes of the 2014-02-12 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

PRESENT
  • Bernard Aboba
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Mary Barnes (IAB Executive Director)
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Ross Callon
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Joel Halpern
  • Russ Housley (IAB Chair)
  • Barry Leiba (IESG Liaison)
  • Xing Li
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Assistant)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Andrew Sullivan
  • Dave Thaler
  • Hannes Tschofenig
REGRETS
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Eliot Lear
  • Alexey Melnikov (RSOC Chair)
GUEST
  • Jonne Soininen (ICANN Liaison)

1.2. Administrivia

An item on the IANA Evolution Program was added to the agenda.

1.3. Action item review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 22 January 2014 and 29 January 2014 business meetings were approved.

The minutes of the 15 January 2014 and 5 February 2014 meetings remain under review.

2. Liaison Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
18 February 2014

Topics:

 I. NetOps Workshop @ APRICOT
II. DNSSEC Deployment Maps
III. Internet Governance
IV. Security and Privacy
 V. WTDC 2014
VI. Internet Collaboration
VII. IETF Policy Fellows Program

I. NetOps Workshop @ APRICOT
The Internet Society is organizing a workshop alongside the APRICOT 
meeting in Kuala Lumpur, on Wednesday February 26, 2014. We will discuss 
some hard issues that we have addressed through facilitated 
collaboration, as well as looking at current issues that need this kind 
of collaborative action related to IPv6, DNSSEC, and routing security. 
The participants are invited to share their views and experience of how 
to speed up IPv6 deployment, encourage DNSSEC validation, and improve 
routing security and resilience against attacks. 

http://2014.apricot.net/program#session/68428

II. DNSSEC Deployment Maps
The Internet Society is now publishing weekly maps and CSV files showing
the current state of DNSSEC deployment across both top-level domains 
(both ccTLDs and gTLDs).  More information about the project and how to 
receive the weekly maps can be found at: 

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/dnssec/maps/

III. Internet governance
IGF 2014 Consultation: ISOC prepared and submitted a contribution on 
strengthening the IGF and enabling it to produce outcome documents, 
seeking inspiration from the IETF: 

http://www.internetsociety.org/isoc-submission-igf-2014request-public-input

ISOC Webinar on The Future of the IGF: ISOC hosted a webinar which 
gathered over 60 people. Feedback received on ISOC’s submission above-
mentioned was positive: http://www.internetsociety.org/igf

UN CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation: ISOC coordinated a 
submission to the Internet Governance mapping exercise (orphan issues, 
existing mechanisms, possible gaps). 

IV. Security and Privacy
ISOC produced a blog post on 10 February, on the eve of the 11 February 
campaign “The Day We Fight Back” - Internet Community Collaboration 
Forges Strong Links in Global ‘Chain of Trust’. 

http://www.internetsociety.org/blog/public-policy/2014/02/internet-

community-collaboration-forges-strong-links-global-‘chain-trust’

ISOC staff have been invited to participate in the W3C/IAB workshop on 
Strengthening the Internet Against Pervasive Monitoring (STRINT). ISOC 
will be publishing the position paper submitted for the workshop on its 
website, with accompanying blog posts on 18 February to socialize and 
promote the ideas in the paper in advance of the workshop.

V. WTDC 2014
Preparations for the sixth World Telecommunication Development 
Conference are underway including an ISOC contribution, finalising 
documents for the WTDC booth, planning for bilateral meetings, and 
various ISOC communication activities, such as blogposts and outreach 
events.

VI. InternetCollaboration group
Following ISOC's presentation to the 22 Jan. IAB business meeting, the 
InternetCollaboration group has gone through several developments. The 
website is being finalised, the number of participants now exceeds 100 
individuals including some representatives of ccTLDs, and the group is 
working on a set of Internet Governance principles. The group is making 
progress as a useful informal platform to coordinate the technical 
community. 

VII. IETF Policy Fellows program
The Internet Society will have a large group of policy fellows in London 
for IETF89. About 17 government representatives in total, primarily from 
Africa, the Middle East and Europe. In addition, some members of the EU 
High Level Group on Internet governance may join. The agenda for the 
group will focus on a mix of meetings including working group sessions, 
small seminars on key topics, and meetings with key community leaders. 
An interesting note: at the last regional preparatory meeting for WTDC 
in Latin America, at least 5 government delegations included one person 
who had previously attended our IETF policy fellows program. These were 
key delegations in the region. Several other governments approached us 
to learn how they could participate in the future.

NOTE: the Commonwealth Telecom Organization is hosting a cybersecurity 
forum in London the same week as IETF.  The Minister of Ghana has asked 
to join the IETF policy program for some time during the week.  Bruce 
Gracie (Canada, and a candidate for ITU Deputy Secretary General) has 
also indicated an interest in stopping by the IETF meeting.

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Barry Leiba–

Recent new working groups:
Public Notary Transparency (trans) [Approved on 2/6, chair: Melinda Shore]

Recently rechartered working groups:
Transport Layer Security (tls) [Approved on 2/6]

Current new chartering:
TURN Revised and Modernized (tram) [IESG review, on 2/20]

Current rechartering:
Network Configuration (netconf) [IESG review, on 2/20]

Pending rechartering:
NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod) [Informal review]

Recently closed working groups:
IPv6 over Low power WPAN (6lowpan) - further work is on the 6lo list
Verification Involving PSTN Reachability (vipr)

Personnel changes:
None during this period, but expect new chairs soon for mile, i2rs,
rtgwg, and geopriv, to replace the incoming ADs.

–End IESG Liaison Report, Barry Leiba–

2.3. IRTF Liaison Report

–Begin IRTF Liaison Report, Lars Eggert–

- Attempt to reboot the RRG seems to have failed; not enough energy to 
  get together an agenda for a London meeting. Some folks may have a pub 
  meeting about what to try next.

- GAIA ("Global Access to the Internet for All") "RG-to-be" side meeting 
  will happen in London (time yet unknown).

- Will review the ICCRG with the IAB in London. Likely time: Tuesday 
  breakfast.

- Datatracker chair extensions still don't work for RG chairs. (Six 
  months after ticket http://svn.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/ticket/1081 
  was filed.)

–End IRTF Liaison Report, Lars Eggert–

2.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments needing attention
====================================
(http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment)

Status Update from the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-11nov13-en.htm

(February 28th, 2014)

Draft Criteria and Process for Selection of Multistakeholder Ethos Award
Pilot Program 
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/multistakeholder-ethos-award-06jan14-en.htm>

(Reply period closes: Feb 17th 2014)

Review of Trusted Community Representation in Root Zone DNSSEC Key 
Signing Ceremonies 
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/tcr-dnssec-key-signing-21jan14-en.htm>

(Reply period ends at 4 March 2014)

Second Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT 2) Final Report 
& Recommendations
This is the second Accountability and Transparency Review Team final
report and recommendations. This is an interesting read for anybody
interested in ICANN activities and what people think are the improvement
areas to ICANN.

http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/atrt2-recommendations-09jan14-en.htm

(21 February 2014)

Proposed Modifications to GNSO Operating Procedures to Address
Resubmission of Motions and Working Group Self Assessment
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/gnso-op-procedures-10feb14-en.htm>

(Comment period ends: 1 March 2014)

Proposed Review Mechanism to Address Perceived Inconsistent Expert
Determinations on String Confusion Objections
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/sco-framework-principles-11feb14-en.htm>

(Comment period ends 12 March 2014)

II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant
==========================================

Name collisions
---------------

ICANN is engaging an awareness campaign about name collisions and the
possible risks:

http://www.icann.org/en/help/name-collision

TLG related bylaws
------------------

ICANN board has now officially approved the changes related to the TLG:

http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-07feb14-en.htm

Security and Stability Advisory Council
---------------------------------------

SSAC has selected Joe Abley as a member of SSAC. The ICANN board 
appointed Joe.

III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
========================================================

Next ICANN meeting will be in March 23-27th 2014 in Singapore. The 
agenda has not been set, yet.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

Russ Housley noted that the the name “Multistakeholder Ethos Award” implies that ICANN is the only multistakeholder Internet organization, rather than one of many; the award itself is intended to recognize those in the ICANN community. The IAB asked Jonne Soininen to carry a message back to the ICANN Board of Directors requesting that the “ICANN” qualifier be used when referring to the award, e.g. “ICANN Multistakeholder Ethos Award.”

The IAB invited Jonne Soininen to join the IAB breakfast on Thursday, 6 March 2014 in London, as the planned agenda has several topics that may be of interest to ICANN.

2.5. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

1. RSE report
* RFC Format effort
The RFC Format Design team has drafts under development for the xml2rfc
v2 vocabulary, the proposed xml2rfc v3 vocabulary, the HTML
requirements, the PDF requirements, the SVG profile, and guidance on the
use of non-ASCII characters.  When these drafts are done, we will be
ready to move on to create a spec for the code to handle the new format
can be created, and solid mock-ups of what the publication formats
(HTML, PDF, and TXT (EPUB is on hold pending resources to work on those
requirements)) should look like.

* Next steps for the RFC Style Guide and the DOI draft
The RFC Style Guide, with the new draft string of
draft-iab-styleguide-00, has been pushed out to the rfc-interest list
and the RFC Series Advisory Group (RSAG) for review.   The DOI draft
will be announced shortly.  The plan is to have both drafts available to
the rfc-interest community for review for about 2 weeks, update the
drafts, then request a formal Call for Comment to the larger IETF community.

* 2013 RFC Production Center and Publisher Annual Review
The completed 2013 Annual Review for the RPC and Publisher has been sent
to the RSOC.  The Review includes an overall summary, an evaluation from
the customer perspective, a self-evaluation from AMS, and the goals for
2014.

2. RFC Production Center report
* The perfect "storm" - annual surge of submissions plus an expedited
processing request for the storm WG drafts
The Storage Maintenance (storm) WG has requested 2 of the documents in a
cluster of 5 I-Ds receive expedited handling in order to have RFC numbers
by February 17 in order to have the RFCs properly referenced in the
soon-to-be-published T10 SCSI standards.  Since this is a document
cluster, the I-Ds will move concurrently through the queue, with a total
of 574 pages among them.  That is the equivalent of 19 average sized
documents.  In addition, the RPC is seeing the usual annual surge of
submissions prior to the March IETF meeting, with 51 documents released
into EDIT state in January, and a similar number expected in February.
A request has been submitted to the IAOC to temporarily increase the
editorial staffing to process this surge of submissions.

3. Other items of interest
* Document Editing session with IESG and authors for IETF 89
A small group of authors has volunteered to work various members of the
IESG and the RPC to discuss what they can do to improve the technical
clarity of their documents.  The current list of drafts to be reviewed
is available here:

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/DocumentLanguageEditing

Discussion on the WGChairs mailing list suggests that there is strong
support at least among WG chairs for this kind of activity.  Actual
participation, however, seems low, which suggests additional work to
encourage authors who struggle with written English is required.

* International Association of Scientific, Technical, and Medical Publishers
The STM Association is reviewing the RFC Editor's application to join
their trade association.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

3. Technical Plenary at IETF 89

Dave Thaler reported that Malcolm Pearson and Steve Kirsch have both confirmed their availability to speak at the IETF 89 Technical Plenary. Malcolm will deliver a presentation on “Internet-Scale Payment Systems: Ecosystems & Challenges,” and Steve will present on “Identity, Payments, and Bitcoin: Big Changes Ahead.” Dave and Hannes Tschofenig met with both speakers to go over an outline for the technical presentations.

4. IAB Agenda at IETF 89

Russ Housley briefly reviewed the IAB agenda for IETF 89, noting that Bob Hinden has asked to brief the IAB on the current perspective of the ISOC Board. Mary Barnes noted that the IAB may want to add time to the agenda to discuss progress on the IAB’s appointment to the ISOC Board of Trustees.

5. BOF Coverage at IETF 89

Cindy Morgan asked the IAB to sign up for BOF coverage at IETF 89 on the wiki. Dave Thaler noted that he would not be able to cover RFCFORM at IETF 89 as he has in the past due to the conflict with the PCP WG meeting; Mary Barnes indicated that she should be able to cover this.

The IAB will discuss this topic again at their next business meeting (19 February 2014) to firm up the BOF coverage plans.

6. ECMA TC-39

The IAB approved starting a liaison relationship with ECMA TC-39. Eliot Lear will follow up accordingly.

7. IANA Evolution Program

The IAB agreed to add Kathy Brown, ISOC CEO, to the IANA Evolution Program.