Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2014-09-10

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2014»IAB Minutes 2014-09-10

Minutes of the 2014-09-10 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

PRESENT
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Mary Barnes
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Alissa Cooper (IESG Liaison)
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • Ted Hardie
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley (IAB Chair)
  • Eliot Lear
  • Xing Li
  • Alexey Melnikov (RSOC Chair)
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Jonne Soininen (ICANN Liaison Manager)
  • Andrew Sullivan
  • Dave Thaler
  • Brian Trammell
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)

1.2. Administrivia

Eliot Lear asked to add an item on legal advice for the IANA transition to the agenda.

1.3. Action item review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 27 August 2014 business meeting and the 3 September 2014 tech chat and business meeting were approved.

2. Liaison Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
10 September 2014

Topics:

I. ISOC takeaways from 9th Internet Governance Forum (IGF)
II. DNSSEC deployment update

I. ISOC takeaways from 9th Internet Governance Forum (IGF)
The 9th IGF was held in Istanbul from 2 to 5 September. ISOC actively 
participated in this event. A summary of the main takeaways is available 
here: 

http://www.internetsociety.org/blog/public-policy/2014/09/igf-2014-takes-action

II. DNSSEC deployment update
As of September 5, 2014, there are now a total of 702 top-level domains 
and 510 of those TLDs are signed with DNSSEC.  This represents 72% of 
all TLDs being signed and is primarily driven by the requirement that 
all "new generic TLDs" must be signed with DNSSEC.  The % of signed 
second-level domains within the new gTLDs is still quite small but there 
is no longer the barrier that still exists for some ccTLDs where the TLD 
itself needs to be signed.  At the Internet Society we continue to track 
the DNSSEC deployment status of both ccTLDs and gTLDs in our weekly 
DNSSEC Deployment Maps:  

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/dnssec/maps/

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Alissa Cooper–

Recent new working groups:
- Calendaring Extensions (calext)
- Planning for the IANA/NTIA Transition (ianaplan)

Recently rechartered working groups:
- None

Current new chartering:
- Transport Services (taps) [IESG review]

Current rechartering:
- None

Pending rechartering:
- None

Recently closed working groups:
- None

Personnel changes:
- Jan Seedorf was added as an alto co-chair.

Other:
- Details on the planned Routing Area reorganization are available at:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/routing-discussion/current/msg01901.html

–End IESG Liaison Report, Alissa Cooper–

2.3. IRTF Liaison Report

–Begin IRTF Liaison Report, Lars Eggert–

- Discussed IRTF meeting style experiment in Honolulu (or at a later 
  IETF).  Unclear if we have enough RGs that want to try this, and if 
  the venue has a suitable room available.

- NFVRF proposed RG had a physical interim at Brocade in the bay area.

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/nfvrg-interim-meeting-09-04-2014

- GAIA proposed RG is planning a physical interim in Cambridge, UK Oct 
  20-21

- ICNRG will hold an interim meeting on September 27th in Paris, back-
  to-back to http://conferences2.sigcomm.org/acm-icn/2014/ .

–End IRTF Liaison Report, Lars Eggert–

2.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments needing attention (only highlights)
=======================================================
(All public comment processes: 

https://www.icann.org/public-comments#open-public)

Enhancing ICANN Accountability Process (https://www.icann.org/public-
comments/enhancing-accountability-2014-09-05-en)
Comment period close: 27 Sep 2014

Implementing Rights Protection Mechanisms in the Name Collision 
Mitigation Framework (https://www.icann.org/public-comments/name-
collision-rpm-2014-08-25-en)
Comment period close: 15 Sep 2014
Reply period close: 7 Oct 2014

II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant
===========================================

NTIA transition and ICANN accountability

The discussion about NTIA transition and ICANN accountability have been 
taking much of the discussion in the public. IANA stewardship transition 
was a topic around ICANN in the IGF as was the ICANN accountability. 
ICANN has published a process on the ICANN accountability and it is 
currently on public comment. Especially the NTIA stewardship transition 
topic is well handled in other context in the IETF than this.

Name collisions

After a long process, the ICANN board adopted a name collision framework 
in the New GTLD Program Committee meeting in the end of July. This 
collision framework can be found at https://www.icann.org/en/system/
files/files/name-collision-framework-30jul14-en.pdf

III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
=========================================================

The next ICANN meeting is October 12-15th, 2014. There are no special 
topics expected at this point outside the continuation of the currently 
hot topics.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

Dave Thaler observed that the discussion of IPv6 and loopback was unclear in the name collision report. Jonne Soininen explained that for certain prefixes, when a new TLD is made active, queries will return a special IPv4 address in the loopback range, and searches will send them to the ICANN webpage that notes the collision. However, there is no equivalent IPv6 loopback range. Jonne added that ICANN will bring the problem to the IETF so that a solution can be worked out together.

2.5. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

1. RSE Report
* RFC Format
The -00 version of the RFC Format framework draft has been posted to the
Datatracker
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-flanagan-rfc-framework/). Initial
feedback, while limited, has been positive.  The RSE will
continue to update the draft as community feedback is received and work
is completed on the supporting drafts for the overall format effort.

Also, the GenART review for draft-brownlee-svg-rfc-07, "SVG Drawings for
RFCs: SVG 1.2 RFC", has been returned and a copy of the review posted to
rfc-interest.  The reviewer offered some suggestions to clarify the
draft that are being considered by the author.

Beyond the drafts, the various SoWs that describe the different
functionality required in the tools to support the format changes are
actively under discussion with the Tools Development team.

* Digital Preservation Considerations
The -00 version of the Digital Preservation Considerations draft has
been posted to the Datatracker
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-flanagan-rfc-preservation/).
This draft had gone out for review with members of the library and
archive community as well as the RFC Series Advisory Group (RSAG), and
initial feedback has been very positive.  Next steps for this draft will
be to solicit further input from the community and discuss at IETF 91.

2. RPC Report
* SLA - see http://www.rfc-editor.org/reports/
The RPC has worked through the burst of documents earlier this year and
is back to meeting the SLA.

* SoWs
Three SoWs are out for community review: the RFC Editor Website Revamp,
the RFC Editor Automation of Stats and Reports Project, and the RFC
Digital Object Identifier assignment project.  The community review
period is open until 21 September 2014.  So far, feedback has been
limited.  The SoWs are available online: http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.html

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

Heather Flanagan asked the IAB to review and give feedback on draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-00.

3. IAB Liaison to ICANN re: Special Names Registry

The IAB discussed a liaison statement to ICANN regarding the “Special Use” names. Andrew Sullivan will update the text of the liaison statement based on the discussion with the IAB, and will send it out to the DNSOP Working Group chairs and the IAB before asking Russ Housley to send the liaison statement on behalf of the IAB.

4. IETF 91 Tech Plenary

The IAB agreed to invite Dave Cridland to speak at the IETF 91 Technical Plenary. Joe Hildebrand and Russ Housley will follow up with Dave to issue the invitation.

Ted Hardie and Eliot Lear are both looking for an additional speaker to join Dave Cridland for the plenary.

5. IGF and ICG Update

Jari Arkko updated the IAB about IGF, noting that IANA and ICANN accountability had been the main topic of discussion later in the week. The IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG) has put out an RFP, as well as a proposed timeline.

With the recent chartering of the IANAPLAN Working Group, the IAB discussed reaching out to those who do not normally engage in the IETF process, and inviting them to participate. Jari Arkko will explore avenues to do IETF outreach at the next ICANN meeting.

6. Name Resolution Program

The IAB approved the description for the Name Resolution Program. Cindy Morgan will work with Andrew Sullivan to set up the web page and mailing list.

7. IAB Appointment to the IAOC

The IAB approved the timeline for the IAB appointment to the IAOC for 2015.

Bob Hinden, who has served as the IAB appointee to the IAOC since 2007, has indicated that he will not seek another term. The IAB thanks Bob for his service.

8. IANA Transition Legal Advice

Eliot Lear asked the IAB if it would be appropriate to seek legal counsel to review the current IETF activities around the IANA transition. The IAB agreed; Eliot Lear will contact Jorge Contreras and ask if he or someone else can provide feedback.