Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2014-10-08

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2014»IAB Minutes 2014-10-08

Minutes of the 2014-10-08 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1 Attendance

PRESENT
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Mary Barnes
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Alissa Cooper (IESG Liaison)
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • Ted Hardie
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley (IAB Chair)
  • Xing Li
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Andrew Sullivan
  • Dave Thaler
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
REGRETS
  • Michelle Cotton (IANA Liaison)
  • Eliot Lear
  • Alexey Melnikov (RSOC Chair)
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Jonne Soininen (ICANN Liaison Manager)
  • Brian Trammell

1.2. Administrivia

Dave Thaler requested to add a discussion on the response to the ISO/TC 204 liaison agreement.

1.3. Action item review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 24 September 2014 tech chat and business meeting and the 1 October 2014 business meeting were approved.

2. Liaison Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
7 October 2014

Topics:

I. ISOC Briefing Panel at IETF 91: Identity as a Building Block
II. Interconnection and Infrastructure Development
III. Vectors of Trust discussion list

I. ISOC Briefing Panel at IETF 91: Identity as a Building Block
ISOC will convene a briefing panel event during the IETF 91 meeting to gather
perspectives from various layers of the stack and assess whether identity
provisioning is going to be a fundamental commodity building block for the
Internet, much in the same way as DNS and the routing system are.

II. Interconnection and Infrastructure Development:
1. The ISOC AXIS team working with INEX launched an IXP in Gambia on
7 July. This was an excellent partnership with the technical community and
local technical experts. Additional training efforts will continue and it is
likely that INEX will partner with the Gambian IXP moving forward.

2. The ISOC IXP Toolkit team, working with RIPE-NCC, Euro-IX, and
the Georgian government held a 2-day best practices workshop in Tbilisi,
Georgia, on 5-6 August and working with ITU-D, RIPE-NCC, INEX, SOX, and
NIX.CZ, held a 1-day training event in Budva, Montenegro.

3. The ISOC AfPIF team held the 5th African Peering and
Interconnection Forum (AfPIF) in Dakar, Senegal from 26-28 August. The event
brought peering coordinators, IXP Managers, infrastructure and content
development networks together to discuss issues relevant to building IXPs,
driving more local content, and the environment needed for both. AfPIF was
preceded by a full Af-IX meeting (African IX Association). Demand for
additional technical training will likely result in a 2-day Af-IX meeting
prior to AfPIF 2015.

4. The Nigerian IXP - IXPN - has asked for BGP training assistance
and the ISOC IXP Toolkit and African Bureau teams will be reaching out to
develop that training with IXPN.

III. Vectors of Trust discussion list
Following on from the workshop that ISOC's Trust and Identity team ran last
month on Inter-federation, which brought together government and higher
education stakeholders who face a range of identity assurance challenges, ISOC
helped to establish a new (non-WG) IETF discussion list on “Vectors of Trust”.
One of ISOC’s goals for the workshop was that it should encourage the
formation of communities of interest, who would take specific work items
forward in the most appropriate venue. The high-level objective of the IETF
effort is to identify and research: “common, orthogonal aspects of
organization, technology and policy that help to determine the level of
assurance that can be placed in a deployment of digital identity technology”.

The discussion list announcement is here:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg13215.html

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Ted Hardie asked about the scope of the Vectors of Trust initiative. Mat Ford will follow up regarding the possible scope. Russ Housley asked whether Sally Wentworth would want time at IETF 91 to discuss the plenipot. Mat Ford agreed she might and would follow up with Sally.

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Alissa Cooper–

Recent new working groups:
Transport Services (taps)
Web-Based Push Notifications (webpush)

Recently rechartered working groups:
Routing Area Working Group (rtgwg)

Current new chartering:
Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach [Internal review]
Layer Independent OAM Management in the Multi-Layer Environment (lime) [External review]
BGP Enabled Services (bess) [External review]
DNS PRIVate Exchange (dprive) [External review]

Current rechartering:
Network Virtualization Overlays (nvo3) [External review]
Distributed Mobility Management (dmm) [External review]

Pending rechartering:
None

Recently closed working groups:
None

Personnel changes:
Ulrich Herberg has been replaced by Ralph Droms as a co-chair of the 6lo WG.

Other:
The IESG is considering a change in structure, with the intent to increase
flexibility as IETF work evolves, to ensure that all IETF work is covered by
an AD, and to balance and reduce the workload across the ADs. See

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/kMu2nQCOGXheKi9mRgaTo0ryMas.

–End IESG Liaison Report, Alissa Cooper–

Marc Blanchet mentioned that the proposed working group charter for Delay Tolerant Networking (DTN) went into internal review on October 7, 2014.

2.3. IRTF Liaison Report

–Begin IRTF Liaison Report, Lars Eggert–

- Reviewing the NWCRG with the IAB in Honolulu

- GAIA proposed RG is planning a physical interim in Cambridge, UK Oct 20-21;
we're also finalizing the charter text in preparation of chartering

- Sent two IRTF stream I-Ds for 5472 review to the IESG

–End IRTF Liaison Report, Lars Eggert–

2.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I. Public Comments needing attention (only highlights)
=======================================================
(All public comment processes:

https://www.icann.org/public-comments#open-public)

Board Working Group Report on Nominating Committee (BWG-NomCom)
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/bwg-nomcom-2014-08-21-en)
Comment period closes: 21 October 2014
Reply period closes: 13 November 2014

II. Upcoming topics that could be relevant
===========================================

IAB liaison delivered to ICANN

The IAB liaison on special names registry was delivered to
ICANN board and the chairman of the GNSO. So far, I have not
seen discussion on the topic on the ICANN side.

III. (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
=========================================================

The next ICANN meeting is October 12-15th, 2014.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

2.5. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

1. RSE Report
* RFC Format
The RFC format project continues to make good progress. The document that
captures the current xml2rfc v2 vocabulary, draft-reschke-xml2rfc, will be
submitted for consideration to become an IAB stream document after the RSOC
reviews the process by which the draft was created. The xml2rfc v3 (draft-
hoffman-xml2rfc), HTML (draft-hildebrand-html-rfc), and PDF (draft-hansen-rfc-
use-of-pdf) drafts are now focused on making sure all requirements in the
publication formats are represented properly in the xml2rfc v3 vocabulary.
The plain-text draft (draft-flanagan-plaintext) has recently released a -04
for community comment, though discussion has been minimal. The SVG draft
(draft-brownlee-svg-rfc) and the non-ASCII draft (draft-flanagan-nonascii)
are stable and will hold off on further updates until live code informs any
necessary changes. The framework draft (draft-flanagan-rfc-framework) is
also stable, pending final changes to drafts in progress.

A new draft, one that shows examples of the XML v3 format, is in progress.
It, along with the stable versions of the publication format drafts, will be
an important input to inform programmers working on the xml2rfc processor.

The necessary SoWs have been drafted, and as soon as the requirements and
examples as defined in the current drafts are stable, will be ready for final
review by the Tools Management committee and to go out for community review.

* Style Guide
RFC 7322 has been posted, and all documents currently in the RFC Editor queue
have been reviewed to make sure they match the new guide. While this caused
a negative impact to the RFC Production Center SLA for September, the work
provided a clean cut-over to the revised style.

* RFC Format BoF at NORDUnet 2014
The NORDUnet conference, held every two years, focuses on the R&E networking
community in the Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, etc.).
The RSE took the opportunity while attending the conference to hold a BoF on
the upcoming changes in the RFC Format. Discussion on the topic was lively
enough during the conference breaks that the BoF itself did not have a strong
turnout. The people who did attend the BoF, including the co-CTOs of SUNet,
the Swedish R&E network organization, asked sensible questions and seemed
pleased with the direction of the work.

* Face-to-face meeting planned with IAB, IETF, IAOC chairs, AMS, and the IAD
A face-to-face meeting is being held October 8 and 9 between the IAB, IETF,
and IAOC chairs, as well as the RSE, IAD, RPC Director, and the Secretariat.
Topics from the RFC Editor's perspective include:
- RPC SoW and RFP in 2015
- RFC Format update and transition plan
- Operations-related projects
- IETF 91 planning, esp. EFL support plans
- Changes to the RFC Publisher activities (see
draft-flanagan-rfc-preservation)

2. RPC Report
* SLA - see http://www.rfc-editor.org/reports
September 2014: The RFC Editor published the new RFC Style Guide (RFC
7322) and the Web Portion of the Style Guide. We have successfully
transitioned documents in the queue to meet the recommendations defined
therein (see the announcement for detailed information. The RFC Editor
also released an updated Style Guide page, which includes additional
information and guidance to authors).

* SoWs
Three SoWs finished the community comment period in September: DOIs, RFC
Editor website, and RFC Editor Stats & Metrics. No changes were needed to
the website or stats SoWs, but a question arose regarding the DOIs and
whether the RFC Editor can or should piggy-back on an existing ISOC
membership with CrossRef. The RSE is reaching out to the appropriate
parties within the ISOC to determine what the ISOC signed up for, and
whether it is legal and appropriate for the RFC Editor to use that
membership to get DOIs.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

3. IAB Agenda at IETF 91

The IAB discussed the IAB agenda for IETF 91. Russ Housley mentioned he had invited Olaf Kolkman to discuss future technical plenaries on Sunday, November 9, 2014 and was waiting for confirmation. Russ also mentioned that Jari Arkko filled in some topics of discussion for the IAB/IESG combined meeting.

4. BOF Coverage for IETF 91

The IESG discussed the coverage for the BOF meetings for IETF 91. Erik Nordmark agreed to shepherd the ACTN BOF. Ted Hardie mentioned he would cover the ARCMEDIA BOF. Other IAB members are waiting until the agenda is announced because of possible conflicts.

5. IAB Appointment to the IAOC

The IAB approved the final text for the call for nominations for the IAB appointment to the IAOC. Russ Housley will send the call for nominations on behalf of the IAB.

6. draft-lear-iana-icg-response

Russ Housley mentioned that draft-lear-iana-icg-response has been adopted into the IANAPLAN working group, and been renamed draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg- response. Russ also mentioned that review of the document is necessary, as the requested publication schedule is tight. The deadline for having an approved document is January 15, 2015.

7. 2015 Appointment to the ISOC BoT

The IAB is tasked with selecting two members for the ISOC BOT in 2015. ISOC has requested that the IAB select and be ready to announce their selections by April 21, 2015. Ted Hardie had concerns that this timeline was too brief to allow for adequate review and confirmation.

Russ Housley agreed to talk to Kevin Craemer of ISOC to find out if the requested date is earlier than usual for a reason or if the IAB can have some more time.

8. ISO/TC 204 Response

Russ Housley sent proposed response text to the IAB mailing list and wanted to know if others needed more time for review. Joe Hildebrand requested another day, and Russ agreed to wait a couple of days before sending the response so the IAB could discuss via email.