Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2014-12-10

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2014»IAB Minutes 2014-12-10

Minutes of the 2014-12-10 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

PRESENT
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Mary Barnes
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Alissa Cooper (IESG Liaison)
  • Michelle Cotton (IANA Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley (IAB Chair)
  • Eliot Lear
  • Xing Li
  • Alexey Melnikov (RSOC Chair)
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Jonne Soininen (ICANN Liaison)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Brian Trammell
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
REGRETS
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Joel Halpern
  • Andrew Sullivan
GUEST
  • Constance Bommelaer (present for item 7 only)

1.2. Administrivia

Cindy Morgan noted that the IAB will not hold meetings on 24 December 2014 or 31 December 2014. Several people will also be unavailable on 17 December 2014; the IAB will decide at the beginning of next week whether to hold a meeting on 17 December 2014.

The IAB approved adding Francis Bond to the Internationalization Program. Cindy Morgan will follow up with Andrew Sullivan to update the web page and mailing list.

1.3. Action item review

The internal action item list was not reviewed, as most open actions would be discussed later on the agenda.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 3 December 2014 business meeting were approved.

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
9 December 2014

Topics:

 I. Routing Resilience Manifesto / MANRS
II. Google’s IPv6 Traffic Passes 5%
III. IXP Update
IV. IETF help desk at NANOG 63 in San Antonio, February 2015
 V. IETF Policy Programme
VI. IANA transition

I. Routing Resilience Manifesto / MANRS
On the 6th of November the Internet Society together with 9 network 
operators around the globe: CERNET (CN), Claranet (UK), Comcast (US), 
KPN (NL), Level 3 (US), NTT (US), RUNNet (RU), SpaceNet (DE) and SURFnet 
(NL), have launched an initiative to foster actions that improve the 
global security and resilience of the routing system. The full news 
release is available at https://www.internetsociety.org/news/network-
operators-around-world-demonstrate-their-commitment-secure-and-
resilient-internet

This initiative, named the Routing Resilience Manifesto 
(https://www.routingmanifesto.org/) is underpinned by a document: 
"Mutually Agreed Norms for Routing Security" (MANRS, pronounced 
‘manners’, for short) that defines a set of four concrete actions that:
	- prevent propagation of incorrect routing information,
	- prevent traffic with spoofed source IP addresses,
	- facilitate global operational communication and coordination 
          between network operators, and
	- facilitate validation of routing information on a global 
          scale.

The Routing Resilience Manifesto is more than just the MANRS document, 
it is a commitment to improve the global Internet. In order to become a 
participant of this initiative, a network operator has to implement one 
or more of the identified actions.

At this stage we are working on building up the reputation of the 
initiative and raising its profile. We are looking for leaders, the 
network operators who take security and resilience seriously and have 
already implemented these actions and probably many more. We are looking 
for leaders whose reputation will motivate others to step up.

II. Google’s IPv6 Traffic Passes 5%
We published a blog post this week on 'Internet Technology Matters' 
noting that Google's IPv6 traffic has passed the 5% mark, and as Phil 
Roberts notes, IPv6 is growing faster than the IPv4 Internet. The full 
blog post is available at https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/tech-
matters/2014/12/google-ipv6-traffic-passes-5-ipv6-internet-growing-
faster-ipv4. We continue to encourage network operators across the globe 
to deploy IPv6 and use the resources from our Deploy360 Programme 
(https://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/) if they need someplace to 
start. 

III. IXP Update
Through ISOC’s regional and global teams training and equipment was 
provided to NIC-CR in Costa Rica.  As a result an IXP has been launched 
with strong support from ISOC’s Costa Rica chapter, the new ISP 
association, and Costa Rica’s technical community. Equipment has also 
been provided to Honduras, Lesotho, Tunisia, and Thailand to develop 
their IXPs.  Equipment will soon go out to Mexico and Panama to augment 
their IXPs.

IV. IETF help desk at NANOG 63 in San Antonio, February 2015
Following discussions at IETF 91 stimulated by 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-opsawg-operators-ietf-00 it was agreed 
to try to set up an IETF Helpdesk at relevant NOG/NOF meetings and have 
experienced IETF'ers who happen to be at that meeting staff it during a 
portion of the breaks to answer IETF related questions from 
participants. The first such helpdesk will be at the NANOG 63 meeting in 
San Antonio, February 2015. Similar efforts are planned for other NOG / 
NOF meetings around the globe.

V. IETF Policy Programme
Preparations for the policy programme at IETF-92 in Dallas are underway. 
At least 10 policymakers from developing countries are expected to 
participate. Information on the IETF Policy Programme is available here: 

https://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-

programmes/ietf-and-ois-programmes/internet-society-fellowship-5

VI. IANA transition
RIRs:
The CRISP Team is about to begin working on a consolidated proposal. The 
first CRISP Team teleconference (open to public) will take place on 
Tuesday December 9th 13:00 UTC.

Consultations are ongoing in the regions. ARIN, LACNIC and RIPE have 
circulated proposals for discussion, outlining principles and various 
aspects of the future model. The first draft of the consolidated 
proposal is expected to be published sometime this month so community 
feedback can be incorporated before it gets submitted to the ICG.

ICANN:
The Cross-Community Working Group (CWG) has already accepted and is 
operating on a set of principles — including separability. 
[“Separability: any proposal must ensure the ability: i)to separate the 
IANA functions from the current operator if warranted and in line with 
agreed processes; and, b) to convene a process for selecting a new 
operator. Separability should persist through any future transfer of the 
IANA functions”].

In their face-to-face meeting in Frankfurt, the CWG produced a sketch of 
a transition plan, which is captured in this draft flow chart 
(http://www.internetgovernance.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/IANA-
Transition-Flow-Chart-version-1-3-21-November-2014.pdf). Details are yet 
to fleshed out, but the chart captures the main issues where there 
appears to be consensus. In the model proposed, we see the creation of 4 
entities:

1. A new but very lightweight IANA Contracting Entity;
2. An IANA Customer Standing Committee, responsible for ongoing review 
   and assessments of IANA’s operations and transactions;
3. A MS Periodic Review Team that would convene periodically to assess 
   IANA’s performance and make recommendations to the contracting 
   authority;
4. An independent Appeals Panel that could resolve disputes about 
   whether IANA’s actions are consistent with agreed policy. 

Currently, the naming community is operating under the following 
timeframe:
• Identify proposed changes in the initial draft of the Proposal from 
  the CWG by 12h00 UTC  29 November 2014.
• Integrate changes into the initial draft of the Proposal from the CWG 
  such that it becomes a draft of the Proposal from the CWG published 
  for public comment on 1 December 2014.
• Continue to work as a CWG in parallel with public comment period 
  including developing areas of the document relating to items 4, 5 & 6 
  of the RFP from the ICG.
• Recognise that final substantial inputs to the proposal will need to 
  be complete by the end of the weekend of 10/11 January 2015 such that 
  the week following is focussed solely on refining the proposal 
  document.
• Ensure widespread awareness of the draft and the key milestones of the 
  CWG including ensuring that all chartering organisations recognise the 
  19-30 January 2015 time slot for approving the proposal.

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Alissa Cooper–

Recent new working groups:
- BGP Enabled Services (bess)
- DNS PRIVate Exchange (dprive)
- Layer Independent OAM Management in the Multi-Layer Environment (lime)
- Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services (pals)
- Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (anima)
- Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networking (dtn)
- Traffic Engineering Architecture and Signaling (teas)

Recently rechartered working groups:
- Network Virtualization Overlays (nvo3)
- Distributed Mobility Management (dmm)
- Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)
- Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls)
- Path Computation Element (pce)

Current new chartering:
None

Current rechartering:
- IP Security Maintenance and Extensions (ipsecme) [Internal review]

Pending rechartering:
None

Recently closed working groups:
- Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (l3vpn)
- Geographic Location/Privacy (geopriv)
- DiffServ Applied to Real-time Transports (dart)
- Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (l2vpn) 
- Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge (pwe3)
- Multicast Mobility (multimob) 

Personnel changes:
- Joe Macker has been replaced by Justin Dean as co-chair of MANET.
- Ed Crabbe has been replaced by Susan Hares as co-chair of I2RS.
- Bert Wijnen has been replaced by Mahesh Jethanandani as co-chair of 
  NETCONF.
- Mary Barnes stepped down as co-chair of CLUE; Roni Even and Dan 
  Burnett have been added as co-chairs of CLUE.
- Alfred Hönes has been replaced by Melinda Shore as co-chair of URNBIS.
- Fatai Zhang and Daniele Ceccarelli became co-chairs of CCAMP.
- Deborah Brungard and Lou Berger became co-chairs of TEAS and stepped 
  down from CCAMP.
- Oscar Gonzalez de Dios became secretary of CCAMP.

–End IESG Liaison Report, Alissa Cooper–

Alissa Cooper reported that the IESG continues to discuss their potential reorganization; in particular, they are discussing shifting work around to allow one Area Director to focus on YANG data modeling and related topics, as well as options like adding coordinators for specific work areas. As the discussions are still in progress, nothing is concrete yet. Jari Arkko noted that the reorganization plan needs to respond to immediate needs, but also allow for an orderly process as IESG members cycle in and out through the NomCom process.

2.3. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

- GAIA RG has been formally chartered; had interim together with ACM DEV 
  last week.

- ICNRG planning interim at Cisco in Boston Jan 13-14

- SDNRG chair change from Nick Feamster (Georgia Tech) to Dan King 
  (Lancaster)

- Monitoring the DTNRG and discussing with the chairs in order to 
  determine if the DTN WG has sucked the life out of the RG, or in fact 
  is invigorating it.

- Proposed NFVRG has been asking for formal chartering; finalizing the 
  charter in preparation for discussing this with the IAB soon. They 
  also plan for an interim at IEEE Globecom.

- Discussing ideas to have the CFRG come to consensus soon on a 
  recommendation to the TLS WG on elliptic curves together with the RG 
  chairs and the SEC ADs.

- ANRP 2015 selection has completed. 39 nominations were received, five 
  prizes will be awarded.

–End IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

2.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments needing attention (only highlights)
=======================================================
(All public comment processes: 

https://www.icann.org/public-comments#open-public)

Board Working Group Report on Nominating Committee (BWG-NomCom) 
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/bwg-nomcom-2014-08-21-en)
Reply period closes: 9 January 2015

ICANN Draft Five-Year Operating Plan 
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/proposed-opplan-
budget-2016-2020-2014-11-11-en)
Comment period closes: 12 Dec 2014
Reply period closes: 5 Jan 2015 

Cross Community Working Group (CWG) on Naming Related Functions Draft 
Transition Proposal 
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/cwg-naming-transition-2014-12-01-en)
Comment period closes: 22 December 2014

IDN TLD Program - Label Generation Ruleset (LGR) Tool Project (P1) - LGR 
Tool Set Specifications Now Open for Public Comment
Comment period ends: 2 Jan 2015
Reply period ends: 23 Jan 2015 

II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant
===========================================

Cross Community Working Group (CWG) on Naming Related Functions Draft 
Transition proposal

The naming community has come up with their first proposal on IANA 
naming related functions. Specifically, the proposal seems to contain 
two possible options. First one includes moving the IANA stewardship to 
a new company with its own structures for oversight. The second would 
seem to contain simply removing the IANA stewardship function and 
keeping IANA as part of ICANN. The CWG is looking for comments on both 
potential solutions. To me personally, it is not apparent if one of the 
options has more or less consensus in the CWG than the other. 

III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
=========================================================

The next ICANN meeting is February 8-12th, 2015 in Singapore.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

2.5. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Liaison Report – 10 December 2014

2014 SLA Deliverables Update:

- ICANN met 99% of processing goal times for the October 2014 monthly 
  statistics, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing goal 
  times.  These times include the steps that the IANA Department has 
  control over and not time it is waiting on requesters, document 
  authors or other experts.

- The deliverable for the review of protocol parameters by third-party 
  auditors is currently underway.  The third-party reviewers (PWC) are 
  looking at the sample requests.  The report will be available by March 
  30, 2015.

- In Honolulu, there was a discussion at an IESG meeting regarding how 
  expiration of early allocations via RFC 7020 should be reported.  It 
  was agreed that monthly messages will be sent to the IESG to document 
  any early allocations that have expired or are near expiration.  The 
  contact persons for those allocations will also be contacted.  This 
  monthly reporting has been added to the proposed 2015 Supplemental 
  Agreement.

- The Draft Supplemental Agreement for 2015 is currently being revised 
  and discussed. 

Other News:

- The open .arpa children requests are almost complete.  They have been 
  approved by the IAB.  There were some implementation challenges 
  regarding the text lines pointing to the defining RFCs.  The IANA 
  Department was able to add a pointer to RFC 3172. 

- The IANA Department Customer Satisfaction Survey for 2014 has been 
  completed.  Satisfaction over all areas was 93%.   For the segmented 
  groups related to the protocol parameters area, overall satisfaction 
  was reported as follows: 

            Document Authors: 92%

            Protocol Parameter Requesters: 97%

            IESG: 93%

The full report will be available to the public by January 2015.

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

Michelle Cotton asked the IAB to let her know if there are other sorts of information that they would like her include in future IANA reports.

2.6. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

1. RSE Report
* RFC Format
Work continues apace, with a significant update to the xml2rfc v3 
vocabulary draft released in early December, and updates to the 
framework draft expected before the end of the year.  The xml2rfc v2 
draft will be resubmitted as an IAB stream document as soon as the 
author, Julian Reschke, has closed a to-do missed in the last update.  
The SoWs are reaching a final consolidation point, and should be ready 
to go out for public comment after the framework and v3 drafts 
stabilize.

* Highlights from IETF 91
- -- RPC Vendor selection Committee kick-off meeting
In 2015, the contract for the RPC must go out for bid.  A vendor 
selection committee, pulled together as per RFC 6635 guidelines, has 
been put together to update the SoW and work through the vendor 
selection process.  Members include Heather Flanagan (RSE, Chair), Ray 
Pelletier, Bob Hinden, Randy Bush, Alexey Melnikov, and Sarah Banks.  
The expected timeline for the process is as follows:
* March 2015: revised SoW to go out for community comment
* May 2015: Revised SoW to the IAOC for inclusion into a final
* June 2015: RFP to be issued
* September/October 2015: Contract to be awarded

- -- Meeting with the IRSG to discuss upcoming format changes
Heather Flanagan met with the IRSG to bring the group up to speed on the 
upcoming format changes.  Each document stream will need to consider the 
ramifications of the format changes on their own process, including 
thinking about what format(s) to review, how to review images, etc.  The 
meeting was well-attended and the group asked good questions.

- -- See notes from the RPC re: the experimental Writing Lab

2. RPC
* SLA - see http://www.rfc-editor.org/reports
- From the Reports page:  November was a slow month in terms of 
submissions and publications. We expect this is largely due to IETF 91, 
which took place in early November. The RPC invested a significant 
amount of time preparing to host the Experimental Writing Lab and 
reviewing the individual documents to be discussed with the authors that 
requested a session.

The RPC responded to one legal inquiry; see 

http://iaoc.ietf.org/subpoenas.html

* Writing Lab sessions @ IETF 91
The RFC Editor is exploring different ways to support authors who find 
written English a challenge.  This experiment included offering a 
language lab for authors to work with the RPC staff on specific I-Ds.  
Sign ups were done in advance, and authors were required to provide 
details on which draft and what type of problems the authors were 
experiencing so the editors could prepare for the session.  Of the 
eighteen time slots offered, ten sessions were held.  After the close of 
IETF 91, a survey was distributed to collect feedback.  Seven out of the 
ten authors replied, and all respondents indicated this was a useful and 
positive experience.  They also offered suggestions on how to improve 
the sessions in the future, and suggested additional features for how to 
support authors in the future.

The RFC Editor is still reviewing the suggestions offered on the survey, 
and will discuss next steps at the face-to-face meeting scheduled for 
January 2015.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

3. Technical Plenary at IETF 92

Mary Barnes reported that her repeated efforts to reach out to a potential speaker on data-driven security had yielded no results.

Mary Barnes and Dave Thaler will review draft-iab-smart-object-architecture and propose a plenary topic based on that document.

Eliot Lear will invite Joseph Bonneau to an IAB tech chat on 14 January 2014.

4. Program Output

Noting that key participants in the ongoing email discussion were unable to attend this meeting, the IAB decided to continue the discussion about the output from IAB Programs via email.

5. draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response

Eliot Lear reported that he has been responding to Last Call comments on draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response; the IETF Last Call ends on 15 December 2014. Eliot is working on text assessing the level of consensus on the proposal.

6. NETmundial Initiative

The IAB and IETF Chairs were invited to participate in a meeting with the NETmundial Initiative’s Transitional Committee. The IAB discussed whether or not they should participate, noting that there was not yet a meeting agenda, and that the IAB had already sent comments via the IAB statement on the NETmundial Initiative.

The IAB noted that they would prefer discussions take place in a more open and inclusive environment; Russ Housley will follow up with Fadi Chehade regarding the IAB’s concerns.

7. CSTD Internet Governance Mapping Report

Constance Bommelaer reported that the Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD) report on “The mapping of international Internet public policy issues” came out of efforts from the United Nations to map international mechanisms with regards to the Internet. She noted that the report does not suggest adding any new mechanisms, only strengthening those that already exist. Constance added that there are some factual errors in the report, and that ISOC’s comments back will address some of those errors.

Ted Hardie drafted text for an IAB response, proposing edits to the report to better capture the role of the IAB and the nature of IETF standards. Ted will update the draft text based on the discussion of the IAB and send it out for review; the IAB will decide by Monday, 15 December 2014 whether to put that text to an e-vote, or whether another IAB business meeting is required to discuss it further.

8. draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname

The IAB discussed the request from IANA regarding draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname [IANA #796468]. The IAB agreed to add as112.arpa to the list of domains where routine changes do not need IAB confirmation. Marc Blanchet will reply to the IANA request to confirm this.

9. Executive Session: IAB Appointment to the ICANN Technical Liaison Group

The IAB discussed the IAB Appointment to the ICANN Technical Liaison Group in an executive session. Eliot Lear will work with Mary Barnes, Joe Hildebrand, and Brian Trammell to coordinate interviews with the candidates.

Russ Housley recused himself from the discussion and left the teleconference. The IAB discussed the IAB Appointment to the ISOC Board of Trustees in an executive session.