Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2015-04-15

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2015»IAB Minutes 2015-04-15

Minutes of the 2015-04-15 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

Present:
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Alia Atlas (IESG Liaison)
  • Mary Barnes
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Michelle Cotton (IANA Liaison)
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Jonne Soininen (ICANN Liaison)
  • Robert Sparks
  • Andrew Sullivan (IAB Chair)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Brian Trammell
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
Regrets:
  • Sarah Banks (RSOC Chair)
  • Ralph Droms
  • Suzanne Woolf

1.2. Administrivia

Cindy Morgan reminded the IAB to fill out the Doodle poll to select a time for the IETF 93 BOF Coordination call. She also reminded the IAB to make their hotel reservations for IETF 93 as soon as possible, as the room block is filling rapidly.

An item on i1b.org was added to the end of the agenda.

1.3. Action item review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

1.4. Meeting Minutes

The following minutes remain were approved:

  • 22 March 2015 business meeting
  • 24 March 2015 business meeting
  • 26 March 2015 business meeting

The minutes of the IETF 92 Technical Plenary were conditionally approved; they will be sent to Hannes Tschofenig to review, and if he has no changes by the proceedings deadline on 17 April 2015, they will be posted to the IETF 92 proceedings.

The minutes of the 8 April 2015 business meeting were also approved, but are embargoed for public posting until 21 April 2015.

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
14 April 2015

Topics:

 I. Collaborative Security Framework Launched
II. IETF Policymakers Programme at IETF 92
III. IGF Workshop Proposals
IV. IANA Transition
 V. W3C Privacy Interest Group (PING)
VI. OMAC JPAT
VII. ISOC @ RightsCon 2015
VIII. IETF Remote Hubs
IX. South Summer School on Internet Governance

I. Collaborative Security Framework Launched
Monday April 13 our Collaborative Security Framework was launched. The 
document captures our position as published in earlier papers, most 
notably:

* Internet Society Approach to Cyber Security Policy
(http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-approach-cyber-
security-policy);
* Understanding Security and Resilience of the Internet 
(http://www.internetsociety.org/doc/understanding-security-and-
resilience-internet); and,
* Internet Invariants: What Really Matters (http://
www.internetsociety.org/internet-invariants-what-really-matters).

'Collaborative Security' is characterized by five key elements, that in 
our opinion lead to the most effective security solutions:
- Fostering confidence and protecting opportunities: The objective of 
security is to foster confidence in the Internet and to ensure the 
continued success of the Internet as a driver for economic and social 
innovation.
- Collective Responsibility: Internet participants share a 
responsibility towards the system as a whole.
- Fundamental Properties and Values: Security solutions should be 
compatible with fundamental rights and preserve the fundamental 
properties of the Internet - the Internet Invariants.
- Evolution and Consensus: Effective security relies on agile 
evolutionary steps based on the expertise of a broad set of 
stakeholders.
- Think Globally, act Locally: It is through voluntary bottom-up self-
organization that the most impactful solutions are likely to reached.

II. IETF Policymakers Programme at IETF 92
The IETF Policymakers Programme at IETF92 in Dallas was a great success 
with the participation of 15 government officials from 14 countries 
(Africa, Europe, N America, Caribbean, Latin America). During the course 
of the 4 days at IETF, the policymakers had exposure to the IETF 
standards development environment and an opportunity to gain a firsthand 
glimpse into the broad range of issue areas the IETF is focused on. The 
policymakers found the interactions with the IETF community extremely 
valuable and a positive outcome reiterated through the programme is the 
recognition for the need to strengthen the ties between policy and 
technical communities within their countries.

The Internet Society has been administering the IETF Policymakers 
Programme since 2012. To date 102 policymakers from 53 countries have 
participated in the programme. Preparations are now underway for the 
programme at IETF93 in Prague. More information on the IETF Policymakers 
Programme is available here: http://bit.ly/1aXoTGD.

III. IGF Workshop Proposals
The Internet Society's IGF workshop proposals have been submitted: n°16: 
Towards a SMART IG ecosystem, n°74: Online entrepreneurship using the 
Open Internet, and n°141: Law enforcement in a world where encryption is 
ubiquitous. All workshop proposals will be reviewed by the MAG between 
now and May. They are intended to support the IGF's overarching theme: 
"Evolution of Internet Governance: Empowering Sustainable Development”.

The OECD also submitted a workshop proposal (with ISOC and WEF 
identified as co-organisers) on managing security risks for sustainable 
development.

More details of these proposals, and the full list of proposed 
workshops, is available at http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/workshop-
proposals/list-of-published-workshop-proposals

IV. IANA Transition
In March, the Internet Society participated in the ICANN CWG-Stewardship 
and CCWG-Accountability face-to-face meetings in Istanbul. Intensive 
discussions are continuing as the names community seeks to finalise its 
proposal to go out for public comment on April 20. According to the 
working timeline (https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocwgdtstwrdshp/
IANA+Stewardship+Transition+Discussions), the public comment period will 
end May 20. 

V. W3C Privacy Interest Group (PING)
PING held a face-to-face meeting alongside IETF 92 (27 March 2015) 
covering a range of topical issues: link-layer privacy; securing the 
Web; geolocation; privileged contexts; WebRTC local IP address 
disclosure.

Link to summary: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/
2015AprJun/0009.html

VI. OMAC JPAT
The Joint Policy Action Team (JPAT) of the Internet Society Organisation 
Members Advisory Council (OMAC) held a lunch-time brainstorming session 
at IETF 92 regarding encryption and issues such as law enforcement 
access to communications and data.

VII. ISOC @ RightsCon 2015
The Internet Society participated in the RightsCon event in Manila, 
23-25 March 2015. The ISOC team organized a panel discussing the 
tensions between national security and digital rights, which included 
many illustrations of the role of mobile as a new frontier for online 
freedoms. A recap of key takeaways from this workshop can be found at 
[1]. A day prior to the event, the ISOC Asia-Pacific Bureau released a 
new study examining connectivity-related barriers that prevent ASEAN 
economies from fully capitalizing on the Internet as a tool for socio-
economic growth in the region [2].

[1] http://www.circleid.com/posts/
20150410_back_from_rightscon_manila_trading_freedoms_for_security/
[2] https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/asia-pacific-bureau/2015/03/
internet-driver-regional-integration-southeast-asia

VIII. IETF Remote Hubs
As part of ISOC’s strategy to promote IETF participation in Latin 
America, we’ve promoted local meetings during IETF 92. For those already 
participating in the IETF mailing lists, we encouraged them to meet 
locally during the sessions of the Working Groups they’ve been 
following. Instead of an individual remote participation, several 
engineers met in different locations in what we called remote hubs. For 
IETF 92 there were 15 remote hubs organized in 7 different countries: 
Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Dominican Republic, Perú and Uruguay.

IX. South Summer School on Internet Governance
ISOC is supporting capacity building in the LAC region through one of 
the outstanding regional programs, the South Summer School on Internet 
Governance – SSIG, to be held in San Jose, Costa Rica, with an intensive 
full week schedule from 20 to 24 April 2015, expecting 100 participants 
from diverse countries. During this week, there will be a one-day event 
for the first IGF Centro America on the 21st April to address emerging 
issues to be taken into consideration in this region, organised by 
multiple stakeholders and supported by ISOC Costa Rica Chapter and the 
Minister of Science and Technology. High level attendance is expected 
with speeches from Vint Cerf (Google), Fadi Chehade (ICANN), and our 
Sally Wentworth (ISOC).

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Alia Atlas–

Recent new working groups:
  dbound: Domain Boundaries 
  l3sm: L3VPN Service Model 

Recently rechartered working groups:
  tcpm: TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions 
  i2rs: Interface to the Routing System 

Current new chartering:
  None

Current rechartering:
  roll: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks

Pending rechartering:
  None

Recently closed working groups:
  forces: Forwarding and Control Element Separation
  json:  JavaScript Object Notation
  ancp:  Access Node Control Protocol

Personnel changes:
  None

–End IESG Liaison Report, Alia Atlas–

Dave Thaler noted that several proposed charters have gone out for review without proposed milestones. Alia Atlas replied that she would take that comment back to the IESG and encourage them to enter milestones sooner.

2.3. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

- Thing-to-Thing Research Group (T2TRG) proposed, met in Dallas. [Lars 
  Eggert] will need to cycle back with the community on how things went, 
  as [he] wasn't there.

- Human Rights Protocol Considerations Research Group (HRPC) proposed, 
  met in Dallas. [Lars Eggert] will need to cycle back with the 
  community on how things went, as [he] wasn't there.

- Planning on the "Joint ACM SIGCOMM & IRTF Workshop on Research and 
  Applications of Internet Measurements (RAIM)" on the Saturday before 
  the Yokohama IETF (i.e., directly after ACM IMC in Tokyo) is 
  progressing. CFP up for review but not yet announced.

- Eliot Lear and Xing Li stepped down as at-large members to the IRSG 
  when their IAB term ended. A few new IAB members are interested in 
  joining, [discussions are ongoing].

–End IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

2.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments needing attention (only highlights)
=======================================================
(All public comment processes: https://www.icann.org/public-
comments#open-public)

ICANN Draft FY16 Operating Plan & Budget
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/op-budget-fy16-2015-03-18-en)
Comment period closes: 1 May 2015


Reference Label Generation Rulesets (LGRs) for the Second Level
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/lgr-second-level-2015-03-10-en)
Comment period closes: 19 April 2015


II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant
===========================================

Continuation of the stewardship transition discussion

Obviously, the transition work is ongoing still. The two working groups 
looking at the IANA stewardship transition (CWG) and the ICANN 
accountability (CCWG) met at the same time as the IETF. It seems that 
there has been good progress within the two working groups and the CWG 
has focused somewhat its activities. The risk remains that the work will 
not be done in the time expected. People are, however, working hard to 
meet the deadlines.

IANA SLA

ICANN has informed directly and through the IETF liaison that it feels 
it cannot sign the negotiated SLA with IAOC at this point due to the 
clauses related to separability. ICANN will continue to work on the text 
of the supplemental agreement and thus, the discussion will continue.


III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
=========================================================

ICANN board will be having a retreat in Los Angeles 24th-26th April 2015

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

2.5. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Liaison Report – 15 April 2015

Deliverables Update:

- ICANN met 100% of processing goal times for the February 2015 monthly 
statistics, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing goal times.  
These times include the steps that the IANA Department has control over 
and not time it is waiting on requestors, document authors or other 
experts.

- ICANN delivered the report on the review of protocol parameters to the 
IPROC on March 31, 2015.  For more information, please see:  

https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-04-02-en

- ICANN continues to work together with members of the IPROC on revising 
the version of the Supplemental Agreement for 2015. 

Other News:

- The RDAP registries have been set up in accordance with RFC 7484.  
ICANN is ready to accept requests for additions to these registries from 
the RIRs.  The RIRs are currently preparing for adding RDAP service and 
some currently have pilot programs.  ICANN is working on the process for 
how TLDs will add RDAP servers to the new registry.

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

Andrew Sullivan noted that he sent email back with questions regarding the ICANN Supplemental Agreement; Michelle Cotton will follow up within IANA about when he can expect a response.

2.6. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RSE Update:
RFC Format
The format team is getting back in swing post IETF 92. Pete Resnick
has joined the team to assist with the HTML draft, and the team will
be meeting bi-weekly through IETF 93.

DOI project
DOI assignments have been made to all published RFCs, and the scripts
to update the info pages, automate future assignments during the
publication process, and submit the assignments for registration with
CrossRef are being transitioned to the RPC this month.

RFC Editor website redesign
The new RFC Editor website (still in progress) was reviewed with Joe
Hildebrand and Greg Wood during IETF 92 to make sure the work is as
aligned as makes sense between this and the IETF website redesign work.

RSE Statement regarding Sponsors as Authors
The wording for the RSE statement was reviewed by the IESG, RSOC, and
RSAG during IETF 92. John Klensin will be assisting in finalizing the
text. A
final proposal for the content is expected this month.


RPC Update:
Stats - https://www.rfc-editor.org/reports
The RPC did not meet the current SLA, as was expected with the influx of
documents in to the queue in Q1.  From the reports page:
 "The table above [on the reports page] is showing the impact of the Q1
  surge in submissions on the processing times.  In addition, a number 
  of large and complex clusters are making their way through the queue."

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

3. 2015 Retreat Planning

The IAB briefly discussed the draft agenda for the IAB retreat; discussions will continue via email.

4. IETF 93 Technical Plenary

The IAB briefly discussed potential topics for the IETF 93 Technical Plenary. Mary Barnes and Joe Hildebrand were both tasked with action items to reach out to potential speakers.

The IAB discussed moving the Technical Plenary to a morning session in order to allow more time for Working Group sessions, as the plenary room in Prague will be two breakout rooms combined into one, which would necessitate blocking those rooms from being used for Working Group sessions during setup. The IAB agreed to move the Technical Plenary to Tuesday morning. The IAB breakfast meeting normally scheduled for Tuesday morning will be moved to another day. Cindy Morgan will follow up with the Secretariat on the details.

5. IAB Liaison Shepherds

Ralph Droms reported that he is in the process of contacting the current IAB liaison shepherds and finding out where gaps need to be filled or changes need to be made. This will be discussed further at a future IAB teleconference.

6. ICANN Supplemental Agreement

Andrew Sullivan reported that he received a response from ICANN noting that they cannot sign the proposed 2015 Supplemental Agreement to the IETF-ICANN MOU. Andrew noted that the Supplemental Agreements do not expire from year to year, so currently things are proceeding according to the 2014 Supplemental Agreement.

Negotiations are ongoing. Jari Arkko reiterated that the Supplemental
Agreement must match the consensus of the IETF community.

7. draft-iab-strint-report-00

The IAB agreed that draft-iab-strint-report is ready for IAB Last Call. Andrew Sullivan will send the Last Call message to the IAB.

Marc Blanchet noted that the IAB has had difficulty getting workshop reports published in a timely manner, and asked if the IAB should be handling these differently. Andrew Sullivan stated that the IAB just needs to be better about making sure that these reports are put out before the group working on them loses energy. Brian Trammell said that the report from the SEMI workshop is in progress, and that he plans to have a draft out by the end of next week. He further noted that the SEMI workshop report will be higher-level than some of the previous workshop reports, as there are already published transcripts from the report available on the IAB website.

8. I* Coordination Meeting in London

Andrew Sullivan asked the IAB to think about what they would like to accomplish coming out of the upcoming I* coordination meeting planned for London, and to send any comments on the topic to him by the end of next week.

9. Global Future Network and SDN Technology Conference 2015

Andrew Sullivan reported that he will attend the Global Future Network and SDN Technology Conference 2015; he noted that anything he says during the conference will be from him as an individual and not as IAB Chair.

10. ISOC Request

Andrew Sullivan reported that Kathy Brown requested the IAB’s help in communicating the direction the IAB thinks standards are going to go. Andrew asked the IAB if they should start working on more outward-facing statements about IAB work, e.g., blog posts or elevator pitches. The IAB agreed that this was a good idea; Brian Trammell noted that he is already working on a slide deck that may be of use for this purpose for the IP Stack Evolution Program. Ted Hardie and Russ Housley also expressed interest in working on this.

Andrew Sullivan asked Program Leads to put something together for
their Programs, so that the IAB can begin to see what will work and
what will not.

11. i1b.org

Robert Sparks observed that with the current transition of i1b.org from Dreamhost to one of the IETF servers maintained by AMS, the IAB has an opportunity to look at the information that is currently in the private wiki and move some of that to a more public space (e.g., <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iab/trac/wiki>). The IAB agreed that this was a good idea; Robert will work with Mary Barnes and Cindy Morgan to move some information to the public wiki; the IAB will be kept informed when something is moved.

Cindy Morgan reported that the move from Dreamhost to AMS is now in progress; the goal is to have the changeover completed before the current security certificate on i1b.org expires at the end of May.