Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2015-07-08

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2015»IAB Minutes 2015-07-08

Minutes of the 2015-07-08 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

  • Alia Atlas (IESG Liaison)
  • Mary Barnes
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Michelle Cotton (IANA Liaison)
  • Ralph Droms
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Jonne Soininen (ICANN Liaison)
  • Robert Sparks
  • Andrew Sullivan (IAB Chair)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Brian Trammell
  • Suzanne Woolf
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Sarah Banks (RSOC Chair)

1.2. Administrivia

No changes were made to the agenda.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 1 July 2015 business meeting were approved.

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
08 Jul 2015


  I. InterCommunity 2015
 II. Global Internet Report
III. ICANN/IANA Transition
 IV. DNS Security Activity At ICANN 53
  V. OECD update
 VI. Collaborative Security
VIII. East Africa Internet Infrastructure Forum
 IX. Human Rights update
  X. WSIS+10

I. InterCommunity 2015
The Internet Society held its InterCommunity 2015 event on July 7/8 
bringing together over 2,000 people from all across the world using the 
Internet as the location for this global event.  In two 2.5 hour 
sessions, the participants discussed matters related to Internet access, 
governance and security.  IETF Chair Jari Arkko contributed a video 
segment and IETF documents and information were mentioned at various 
points.  The IAB's statement on Internet confidentiality as a default 
was also mentioned in response to a question in the first session 
related to encryption.  Information about the event can be found at

II. Global Internet Report
On 7 July 2015 the Internet Society released its 2015 Global Internet 
Report highlighting the incredible growth of the mobile Internet and the 
role of mobile networks in connecting many parts of the world.  The 
report also highlights many of the challenges related to this growth, 
including affordability, accessibility and concerns about limiting 
consumer choice due to the growth of native application usage. The 
report is available online and in PDF format at 

III. ICANN/IANA Transition
At the 53rd ICANN meeting in Buenos Aires, ICANN's Supporting 
Organisations (SOs) and Advisory Committees (ACs) unanimously adopted 
the Cross Community Working Group (CWG) proposal for the names’ part of 
the IANA transition process. The proposal will now be submitted to the 
IANA Coordination Group (ICG) tasked with compiling the full proposal 
for the transition of the IANA functions. In the meantime, discussions 
on ICANN’s accountability are continuing and the community is exploring 
the best model that will allow it to hold certain powers over ICANN as 
an institution and for the smooth operation of the IANA functions.

IV. DNS Security Activity At ICANN 53
As usual there was a great amount of activity related to DNSSEC at ICANN 
53 in Buenos Aires.  The "DNSSEC For Everyone: A Beginners Guide[1]" 
introduced people to DNS and DNSSEC through a skit and simple materials. 
The 6-hour DNSSEC Workshop [3] on 24 June covered a range of topics 
including reports about DNSSEC deployments across Latin America, tools 
for automating DNSSEC and demonstrations of tools and services related 
to DANE and DNSSEC, including a focus around encryption of SMTP 
connections.  Of interest to IAB members may be the discussions around 
deploying new DNSSEC cryptographic algorithms, as they relate to the 
draft BCP concerning cryptographic algorithm agility [2], which Russ 
Housley discussed in the session.  Slides and a recording can be found 
on the web page for the session [3]. In addition to these sessions, 
DNSSEC was also discussed at the "Tech Day" on Monday, and on Wednesday 
Warren Kumari presented the work of the IETF DPRIVE working group in a 
meeting with the ICANN Board and the Technology Experts Group.


V. OECD update
The Internet Society led the participation of the Internet technical 
advisory committee (ITAC) at the recent OECD meeting week of the 
Committee on Digital Economy Policy and its working parties. A key focus 
was on preparations for the next OECD CDEP Ministerial, to be held in 
Mexico on 21-23 June 2016. ITAC is contributing to the Ministerial 
Declaration as well as on key themes including the Open Internet, 
privacy and security. ITAC will have the opportunity to organize its own 
Forum on day zero and will have High-Level speaking opportunities during 
the event. 

VI. Collaborative security
The Internet Society promoted the Collaborative Security approach to a 
variety of communities, including the Internet governance community (at 
EuroDIG), the CSIRT community (at the annual FIRST conference), the law 
enforcement community (at the Octopus Conference on Cybercrime), policy 
and business leaders (at the St Petersburg International Economic 

The Internet Society participated in the joint meeting of the Malware, 
Messaging Malware and Mobile Anti-Abuse Working Group (M3AAWG) and 
London Action Plan (LAP) (8-11 June, Dublin).

VIII. East Africa Internet Infrastructure Forum
The Internet Society organized the East Africa Internet Infrastructure 
Forum in Kampala, Uganda, alongside the East Africa Communications 
Organisation and the Uganda Communications Commission as a means to 
identify how to increase investment in infrastructure and content within 
East Africa. The event drew senior executives and government officials 
for presentations and frank discussions about the opportunities, and 
challenges, in the region. The Internet Society will write a report and 
work to follow up the forum with concrete suggestions for increasing 
investment levels.

IX. Human Rights update
The Human Rights Council appointed a new U.N. Special Rapporteur on 
Privacy in the Digital Age, Joe Cannataci. This appointment is a direct 
follow-up from political push at the UN General Assembly in the past two 
years in the context of disclosures on pervasive online surveillance. 
The first report of the Special Rapporteur should be published in March 
2016 and is expected to focus on key issues related to privacy and the 
Internet from a Human Rights perspective.

X. WSIS+10
On 1 July, WSIS consultations of UN member states were held in New York 
City, while stakeholder consultations took place the day after. During 
the discussions, many member states advocated an open and 
multistakeholder process, while some countries expressed reservations 
and emphasized the need to address issues such as the digital divide. 
The need to leverage ICTs to implement Sustainable Development Goals was 
expressed in all statements. Other issues that were discussed included 
the role of governments, the future of the IGF, Access, Security, and 
Trust. ISOC delivered a statement [1] on 2 July discussing the concept 
of "collaborative governance".

Next steps and how to participate: The WSIS+10 roadmap is available [2]. 
Stakeholders can submit written contributions to the end of July, before 
a draft outcome is published in August. Final face-to-face consultations 
will take place in NYC in October, leading to the UN General Assembly 
High-Level Event on 15-16 December where leaders from all communities 
should be invited to speak. ISOC WSIS resources are here: 


–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Andrew Sullivan asked if ISOC needs anything from the IAB on WSIS+10; Mat Ford replied that details in the report were for information and not for action.

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Alia Atlas–

Recent new working groups:
  Automated Certificate Management Environment (acme)
  Javascript Object Notation Update (jsonbis)
  IMAP APPEND Extensions (imapapnd)
  Privacy Enhanced RTP Conferencing  (perc)
  Managing, Ordering, Distributing, Exposing, & Registering telephone 
    Numbers (modern)
  DDoS Open Threat Signaling (dots)

Current new chartering:
  An Open Specification for Pretty Good Privacy (openpgp)  Approved
  Label Generation Rules (lager)
  Selection of Language for Internet Media (slim)  

Current rechartering:
  RADIUS EXTensions (radext)

Pending rechartering:

Recently closed working groups:
  Energy Management (eman)

Personnel changes:

–End IESG Liaison Report, Alia Atlas–

2.3. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

- Scott Mansfield handled replying to the ITU-T's liaisons they sent to 
  the IRTF (which isn't an SDO)

- Will review GAIA with the IAB in Prague on Friday.

- Proposed HRPC had an interim in DC on June 8

–End IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

2.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments 
Public comment processes:

II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant

ICANN#53 and IANA stewardship transition

ICANN#53 was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina on June 21-25th, 2015. 
Clearly, the key theme for the meeting was the IANA stewardship 
transition. As the last of the IANA operation communities, the names 
community was able to finish its proposal and obtain ICANN wide 
consensus for it. The Cross Community Working Group on IANA stewardship 
transition (CWG) was able to submit its proposal to the ICG during the 
ICANN week. Therefore, one big step in the transition has been taken. 
However, the ICANN community is not ready, yet. Together with the ICG 
proposal ICANN has to submit also a plan to improve ICANN accountability 
to the NTIA.

The ICANN accountability enhancements are being worked on by the Cross 
Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability (CCWG). The 
sticky point in the CCWG is the question of enforceability of community 
decisions on the board. A group of people find that ICANN community 
needs to be able to bring ICANN to court if the ICANN board would not 
act according the organisation's by-laws. This has lead to a fairly 
complex proposal for the ICANN legal structure based on membership where 
the different parts of ICANN would be members of ICANN. This model was 
not able to get consensus and hence, the work continues. The CCWG would 
need to get its proposal together by the next ICANN meeting in Dublin. 
Therefore, they are holding an interim meeting in Paris for two days the 
week before the IETF meeting. 

ICANN new CEO search

As Fadi Chehade has announced he is leaving, the ICANN board has set a 
search committee for the new CEO. The search committee is chaired by 
George Sadowsky and the committee includes Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Cherine 
Chalaby, Steve Crocker, Chris Disspain, Markus Kummer, Ram Mohan and Ray 

III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance

ICANN board will hold a retreat between 26th-28th September, 2015.
Next ICANN meeting is 18th-22nd October, 2015.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

Andrew Sullivan noted that the announcement of Jonne Soininen’s reappointment as the IETF Liaison to the ICANN Board went out earlier this morning.

2.5. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Liaison Report – 08 July 2015

2014 SLA Deliverables Update:

- ICANN met 99% of processing goal times for the May 2015 monthly 
statistics, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing goal times.  
These times include the steps that the IANA Department has control over 
and not time it is waiting on requesters, document authors or other 

Other News:

- There is a new booklet describing the IANA functions that has been 
published on-line and a paper copy was distributed at the Buenos Aires 
ICANN meeting.

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

Michelle Cotton noted that there has been a spike in root zone related requests, and that the IANA team is working to process those.

2.6. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RSE Update
* Format project
A new draft has been posted as part of the format project, setting out
the structure for CSS requirements for RFCs. This will be part of a
separate SoW to help with document design and page layout for both the
HTML and the PDF drafts. The xml2rfc v2 draft is complete and will be
sent through the RSOC and the IAB shortly to move it along in the
publication process. The xml2rfc v3 draft and other requirement drafts
are largely complete, but will not move towards publication until there
is some more experience in developing code against that vocabulary and
those requirements.  The RFP process is expected to move along in August
2015, and further scheduling will largely depend on what comes back from
vendors as part of the RFP.

This draft is currently in its community review period. Quite a bit of
discussion, both on the IETF mailing list and in more private threads,
suggests some concern regarding whether and how to assign URNs as well
as DOIs to documents in order to use IETF-designed technologies for
document identification. While URN assignment is not part of the draft,
The RSE will work with the draft author to incorporate other relevant
comments as appropriate and hold on to the URN discussion as a future
possibility for the Series.

* IETF 93
Highlights for the upcoming IETF meeting include: the RSOC retreat on
Friday, 17 July 2015, a Best Common Operating Practices
<> document
discussion on Sunday, RSE and ISE office hours on Monday and Tuesday,
and the RFC Editor desk from Monday through Thursday morning.

* RFC Production Center RFP
The RFP process is progressing according to schedule. The RFP was posted
on 15 June 2015. Questions have been received and answers posted online
A bidder's conference has been scheduled for 10 July 2015, and all bids
must be submitted by 3 August 2015. A contract is expected to be
concluded in October 2015.

RPC Update
* Stats -
The SLA was not met for June 2015. From the reports page:
"There have been and continues to be a significant number complex
clusters in play in 2015 (documents from another 3 clusters were
published this month). Typically, the rate of input to the queue
(i.e., documents moved to EDIT) decreases following the Q1 burst;
however, we have not see the usual dip which means processing
continues to be impacted.

* A new part-time editor is being brought on board to help cover for
an upcoming maternity leave by another editor on staff. Please welcome
Dave Fonseca to the RPC.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

The IAB noted the ongoing discussions on the DOI draft, and started considering process changes to avoid confusion on future documents where the RFC-to-be seeks to document the implementation of running code rather than outlining the requirements of a future project.

In such cases, Robert Sparks advocated publishing one RFC with the requirements, and then obsoleting that RFC with another RFC later if necessary changes are discovered during implementation; there is risk in having vendors attempt to work from an Internet-Draft that might change while the work is happening. Heather Flanagan noted that such a plan may not be feasible for things like the CSS document, where it is likely that much will be learned during the implementation process. Andrew Sullivan will work with Heather to draft a proposal about how to handle this sort of document in the future.

3. Tech Plenary at IETF 93

The speakers for the technical plenary are coordinating their slides via email and planning a dry run via WebEx. Cindy Morgan will set up the WebEx for the dry run and send the details out to the IAB and the speakers. Russ Housley and Lars Eggert will make sure that the speakers receive the feedback given to date on the current revisions of their presentations.

Noting that the IAB plenary was scheduled for 30 minutes longer than it usually is, and that there was concern that one of the presenters might run late due to an earlier meeting, the IAB agreed to change the start time of the plenary from 0900 to 0930. Cindy Morgan will coordinate with the Secretariat to make sure that the time is updated on the agenda and other printed materials. Andrew Sullivan will send out an updated agenda of the plenary session for the IAB to review.

4. IAB Agenda at IETF 93

The IAB reviewed their agenda for IETF 93.

5. BOF and PRG Coverage for IETF 93

Joe Hildebrand and Erik Nordmark tentatively agreed to cover the EDUNEXT BOF. Mary Barnes and Andrew Sullivan tentatively agreed to cover the DETNET BOF.

6. draft-iab-strint-report

Marc Blanchet reported that he is waiting for a response from Eliot Lear on draft-iab-strint-report; once he hears back, the document will be updated and the IAB can consider it for approval.

7. draft-iab-filtering-considerations

Dave Thaler reported that he is working with Erik Nordmark and Eliot Lear to clear up the open issues on draft-iab-filtering-considerations, and he hopes to have a new revision posted sometime during IETF 93.

8. Program Scope

Discussion of Program Scopes was deferred to email due to time constraints.

9. Executive Session: Appeal regarding IANAPLAN Draft

Jari Arkko, Marc Blanchet, Russ Housley, Andrew Sullivan, and Suzanne Woolf recused themselves from the discussion and left the teleconference. The remaining IAB approved the response to the appeal from JFC Morfin concerning the IESG response to his appeal concerning the IESG approval of the “draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response” in an executive session. Ted Hardie will coordinate with Cindy Morgan to send the response and get it posted on the IAB website.