Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2015-09-09

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2015»IAB Minutes 2015-09-09

Minutes of the 2015-09-09 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

Present:
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Alia Atlas (IESG Liaison)
  • Mary Barnes
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Michelle Cotton (IANA Liaison)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Jonne Soininen (ICANN Liaison)
  • Andrew Sullivan (IAB Chair)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Brian Trammell
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
  • Suzanne Woolf
Regrets:
  • Sarah Banks (RSOC Chair)
  • Ralph Droms
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Robert Sparks

1.2. Administrivia

An item on IAB Chair Feedback was added to the agenda.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 2 September 2015 business meeting were approved.

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
09 Sep 2015

Topics:

  I. ISOC Fellowship to IETF 94
 II. Annual review of the MSP Rolling Plan
III. IANA transition
 IV. IGF 2015
  V. WSIS+10 Review
 VI. APEC Electronic Commerce Steering Group (ECSG) meetings
VII. 8th LACIGF
VIII. 5th Ministerial Conference on the Information Society in Latin America and the Caribbean

I. ISOC Fellowship to IETF 94
We have completed the selection process for ISOC Fellows to IETF 94 with 
our regional team, prior Fellows, and Chapter and BoT representatives. 
We received 245 applications from which we selected 14 Fellows from 8 
countries (14% female, 86% male).

II. Annual review of the MSP-ICT Rolling Plan
Olaf Kolkman and ​Andrei Robachevsky are the IAB-appointed IETF 
representatives to the European Multi Stakeholder Platform on ICT 
Standardisation (MSP-ICT). The results of the annual review of the MSP-
ICT Rolling Plan (http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/european-multi-
stakeholder-platform-ict-standardisation) were reported in a separate 
liaison report sent to the IAB.

III. IANA transition
The Internet Society submitted comments on the Proposal to Transition 
the Stewardship of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) 
Functions from the U.S. Commerce Department’s National 
Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) to the Global 
Multistakeholder Community. ISOC staff have reviewed both the ICG 
proposal and CCWG proposal on accountability very carefully to see how 
they work together and whether they meet the NTIA principles. While the 
structure of the ICG proposal seems to meet the needs and expectations 
of the operational communities, there are some remaining questions 
regarding how the proposal’s implementation will be aligned with the 
IANA principles and how some aspects of the proposed accountability 
model could impact the overall performance of the IANA functions.

The Internet Society's comments can be found here: http://
www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-comments-iana-stewardship-
transition-proposal

IV. IGF 2015
Preparations are well underway for the 2015 IGF to be held in Brazil, 
10-13 November 2015. Discussions at this year’s IGF are expected to 
focus on the future of the Internet governance ecosystem, with sessions 
on the WSIS+10 Review, evolution of the IGF and impact of NETmundial. 
Other important themes to be covered will include security, net 
neutrality, human rights and others. IGF 2015 outcomes are also on track 
with 6 Best Practices Forums in preparation and a high level outcome on 
"Policy Options for Connecting the Next Billion”. A draft schedule of 
sessions and workshops is now available online: http://
www.intgovforum.org/cms/igf-2015-schedule

V. WSIS+10 Review
Following submissions of written contributions to the UN General 
Assembly WSIS+10 Review [1], it is expected that the first draft Outcome 
of the WSIS+10 Review (non-paper) will be published and open for public 
consultations shortly. Based on early versions in circulation, it seems 
that the core of negotiations will likely focus on the role of 
governments and the U.N. in Internet governance. On 19 October 2015 at 
the UN in New York, the Internet Society will participate in the second 
informal interactive WSIS stakeholder consultations, that will also feed 
the Review process. 

[1] http://www.internetsociety.org/doc/internet-society-written-
submission-wsis10-non-paper

VI. APEC Electronic Commerce Steering Group (ECSG) meetings
The Internet Society participated as an Invited Guest in the ECSG 
meetings (26-31 August 2015) in Cebu, Philippines. The ECSG endorsed the 
APEC Privacy Recognition for Processors (PRP) system, a complement to 
the APEC Cross Border Privacy Rules (CBPR) system. Substantial progress 
was also made on the “stocktake” of the APEC Privacy Framework, marking 
the 10th anniversary.

VII. 8th LACIGF
LACIGF is the Regional Preparatory Meeting for the Internet Governance 
Forum for Latin America and the Caribbean. For the past 8 years, the 
event has consistently contributed to improving regional understanding 
of Internet Governance issues, and creating an opportunity for regional 
stakeholders to come together and share information on the work that is 
being done on relevant topics at national and regional level. ISOC is a 
member of the Program Committee for LACIGF8 (http://www.lacigf.org/sp/
lacigf8/index.html) and participated in the meeting with a strong staff 
delegation.

VIII. 5th Ministerial Conference on the Information Society in Latin 
America and the Caribbean
This high level conference [2] is related to eLAC: a mechanism for 
regional policy dialogue created in 2005 to meet the UN Millenium 
Development Goals. Initially established as a regional intergovernmental 
mechanism, it is also open to non-governmental actors. The technical 
community has a seat with observer status, which is currently occupied 
by LACNIC. ISOC CEO Kathy Brown delivered opening remarks at the 
meeting. The main outcome of the meeting is the LAC Digital Agenda for 
2018 (eLAC2018), including the definition of the working groups for 
2015-2018. ISOC has been appointed President of the Working Group for 
Access and Infrastructure, the first time that a non-governmental entity 
has led a working group in the eLAC process.

[2] http://conferenciaelac.cepal.org/en

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Alia Atlas–

Recent new working groups:
  None
  
Current new chartering:
  Deterministic Networking (detnet)
  Interface to Network Security Functions (i2nsf)
  Simplified Use of Policy Abstractions (supa)
  Selection of Language for Internet Media (slim)
  Geographic JSON (geojson)

Current rechartering:
  IPv6 Operations (v6ops)  

Pending rechartering:
  None

Recently closed working groups:

Personnel changes:
  None

–End IESG Liaison Report, Alia Atlas–

2.3. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments 
====================
Public comment processes: https://www.icann.org/public-comments#open-public

Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability 2nd 
Draft Report (Work Stream 1)

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/ccwg-accountability-2015-08-03-en

Close date: 12 September 2015

Design Team Review of Plan for DNS Root Zone KSK Change

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/root-ksk-2015-08-06-en

Close date: 15 September 2015

Proposal for Armenian Script Root Zone Label Generation Rules (LGR)

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/proposal-armenian-lgr-2015-07-22-

en
Close date: 30 September 2015

Proposal for Arabic Script Root Zone Label Generation Rules (LGR)

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/arabic-lgr-proposal-2015-08-24-en

Close date: 6 October 2015

New gTLD Auction Proceeds Discussion Paper

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/new-gtld-auction-

proceeds-2015-09-08-en
Close date: 18 Oct 2015

II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant
===========================================

Transition
----------

Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability (CCWG)

It is needless to say that a key topic for the ICANN board continues to 
be the transition. Lately the board has been especially working on 
commenting on the CCWG proposal on ICANN's accountability. The boards 
concerns have been mostly on the unintended consequences of the proposal 
and the implementability of the proposal - especially, in the timeframe 
provided for the transition. Last week the board had a meeting with the 
CCWG and the board tried to convey its message. The discussion will 
continue on the topic. In addition, the board is considering to answer 
the ongoing consultation in written format.


III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
=========================================================

ICANN board will hold a retreat between 26th-28th September, 2015.
Next ICANN meeting is 18th-22nd October, 2015.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

Ted Hardie asked if there was an agenda for the ICANN board retreat. Jonne Soininen replied that while the agenda has not been finalized, he expects the IANA transition to be the major topic of discussion.

2.4. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Liaison Report – 09 September 2015

2014 SLA Deliverables Update:

- ICANN met 100% of processing goal times for the May 2015 monthly
statistics, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing goal times.
These times include the steps that the IANA Department has control over
and not time it is waiting on requesters, document authors or other
experts.

Other News:

- Annual Customer Satisfaction Survey for the IANA Department will
commence soon. Invitations will go out in the next few weeks.

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

2.5. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RSE Update
* Format project
The I-Ds describing the requirements for the RFC Format project are 
expected to move as a bundle through RSOC, IAB, and community review. As 
such, while several documents are ready now, we have a few more to wrap 
up before the batch is considered ready.

I-Ds considered ready for the RSOC:
 - Framework draft (draft-flanagan-rfc-framework)
 - Plaintext draft (draft-flanagan-plaintext)
 - Non-ASCII draft (draft-flanagan-nonascii) **Make sure to review the 
   PDF found on the Datatracker, not the one on Tools**
 - HTML draft (draft-hildebrand-html-rfc)
 - XML2RFC v3 draft (draft-hoffman-xml2rfc)

I-Ds needing further action:
 - PDF draft (draft-hansen-rfc-use-of-pdf) - Needs backwards 
   compatibility text added and two TBDs removed or resolved
 - SVG draft (draft-brownlee-svg-rfc) - Needs to have an RNC added
 - Preptool draft (draft-hoffman-rfcv3-preptool) - Needs backwards 
   compatibility text added (minor update)

The xml2rfc v2 vocabulary draft has received several useful comments 
from Dave Thaler and Joe Hildebrand that the draft author, Julian 
Reschke, is reviewing and incorporating into the draft. Those comments 
also offered some useful guidance to the v3 draft and have resulted in 
several changes and clarifications in that draft.

* RFC Editor Website
The RFC Editor revamped website is currently being reviewed by the RSOC. 
Once their feedback has been reviewed and incorporated, the website will 
go out for a more public comment period. With the move to a more 
flexible framework, the old and new sites will run in parallel for a few 
weeks, and we expect to migrate to the new site before the next IETF 
meeting. Collecting feedback will become an ongoing process, and we look 
forward to the incremental improvement of the new site over time.

* RFC Editor face-to-face meeting
The RFC Editor staff will be meeting at the AMS office in Fremont, CA, 
on 21-22 September to discuss next steps digital signature project 
around RFCs; discuss and plan for changes to the RFC  reference format 
to adjust DOI representation and support the automated  use of HTTPS in 
references; 2015-2016 RSE goals; and, making the RPC procedures manual 
public while supporting data and system security.

* RSE Goals for 2015-2016
The RSE and the RSOC have agreed to specific goals for the 2015-2016 
time frame. Those goals include: completing the RPC contract process; 
continuing to make progress on the RFC format work; revive the automated 
statistics and metrics reporting project; moving ahead with the digital 
preservation efforts as per ; and, review 
the architecture behind the current scripts and database used by the RPC 
and determine how to make them more accessible and supportable to and by 
the community.


RPC report
* Stats - http://www.rfc-editor.org/reports/
The SLA was not met for August 2015. From the reports page:
*August 2015:* In addition to the usual document processing, the RFC 
Editor has been working on responses to two legal inquiries, one of 
which will likely require a deposition.
*July 2015:* While the graph shows just over 30 documents moving to EDIT 
state, the page count is equivalent to 43 average-sized documents 
entering the queue.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

Heather Flanagan noted that while the RPC did not meet the SLA as currently defined, they would have met the SLA if using the new model planned for use in 2016.

3. draft-iab-strint-report-03

The IAB approved publication of draft-iab-strint-report-03 as an Informational RFC. Andrew Sullivan will forward the document to the RFC Editor for publication.

4. IETF 94 Technical Plenary

The IAB discussed Brian Trammell’s proposal for a technical topic on “Measurement-Driven Protocol Engineering.” The IAB agreed to proceed with this topic; Brian will put together draft slides for the introduction and send them out to the IAB for review by the end of next week.

Brian Trammell will invite a potential plenary speaker to a future IAB tech chat.

5. Stack Evolution Program

Brian Trammell reported that the discussion of the Stack Evolution Program is continuing on the mailing list. He will ask that this topic be brought back to a future agenda once the discussion has converged.

6. IAB Chair Feedback

Andrew Sullivan asked the IAB for feedback on his performance as chair to date, noting that in addition to being helpful to him, the information collected could also be useful to incoming IAB members and NomCom. Cindy Morgan will send out a call for feedback to the IAB and anonymize the results.

7. draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld

Andrew Sullivan noted that the IESG approved draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld, “The .onion Special-Use Domain Name,” and asked whether the IAB needs to send a liaison statement to ICANN about it. Andrew Sullivan will draft text for the proposed note, and the IAB will discuss this further on the mailing list.

8. Executive Session: IANA Transition Update

The IAB discussed the IAB response to the CCWG-Accountability proposal in an executive session. After making some editorial changes, the comments to the CCWG-Accountability were approved. Andrew Sullivan will forward those comments on behalf of the IAB.