Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2015-10-14

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2015»IAB Minutes 2015-10-14

Minutes of the 2015-10-14 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

Present:
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Alia Atlas (IESG Liaison)
  • Mary Barnes
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Michelle Cotton
  • Ralph Droms
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Jonne Soininen
  • Robert Sparks
  • Andrew Sullivan (IAB Chair)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
  • Suzanne Woolf
Regrets:
  • Sarah Banks (RSOC Chair)
  • Brian Trammell

1.2. Administrivia

An executive session was added to the end of the agenda.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 7 October 2015 business meeting were approved.

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
14 Oct 2015

Topics:

  I. Internet of Things (IoT) Overview Paper
 II. WSIS+10 Matrix of Government Positions
III. Helping People Understand Internet Governance: GIP Digital Watch 
     and ISOC Policy Briefs
 IV. IGF 2015
  V. Sustainable Development Summit 2015
 VI. MaRNEW Workshop

I. Internet of Things (IoT) Overview Paper
The Internet Society will be publishing a paper on the Internet of 
Things (IoT) on October 15.  The paper aims to provide an unbiased view 
of the IoT and begins by discussing concepts and architectural models. 
It then dives into the many different issues arising from IoT 
developments including security, privacy, interoperability, regulatory 
and economic issues. ISOC intends to use this paper as a vehicle to 
launch further discussions on the topic. Once published the document 
will be available at https://www.internetsociety.org/iot

II. WSIS+10 Matrix of Government Positions
The Internet Society published a matrix of government positions related 
to the 10 year review of the World Summit on the Information Society 
(WSIS+10) that will occur in December 2015 in New York.  This matrix 
will continue to be updated over the next few months as government 
positions change.  The latest version can be found at: 

https://www.internetsociety.org/wsis/matrix/

III. Helping People Understand Internet Governance: GIP Digital Watch 
     and ISOC Policy Briefs
In an Internet Governance Survey conducted during March 2015, over 75% 
of respondents asked the Internet Society to help provide materials that 
make Internet governance policy issues easier to understand.  In 
response, the Internet Society has engaged in a partnership with the 
Geneva Internet Platform to launch the "GIP Digital Watch" [1] to 
provide basic information on current policy issues. ISOC is also 
producing a series of "policy briefs" that provide Internet Society 
positions on specific issues. They are currently in a preview period 
with ISOC chapters and members and will be available soon [2].

[1] http://digitalwatch.giplatform.org/
[2] https://www.internetsociety.org/policybriefs/

IV. IGF 2015
The Internet Society continues preparations for the 2015 Internet 
Governance Forum happening 10-13 November 2015 in João Pessoa, Brazil. 
ISOC will be engaged on numerous fronts and will also host an all-
members meeting. We published a web page focused on the event that we 
will be updating with more information as the event draws closer: 

https://www.internetsociety.org/igf2015

V. Sustainable Development Summit 2015
Internet Society President and CEO Kathy Brown attended the United 
Nations Sustainable Development Summit (SDS) in New York City from 
September 25-27 where the UN adopted the Sustainable Development Goals 
(SDGs) setting development targets for the UN and world governments. 
Kathy spoke on a panel about "Development in the Digital Age". The 
Internet Society was pleased that the SDGs recognised the need "to 
provide universal and affordable access to the Internet in least 
developed countries by 2020". See

https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/development-public-policy/2015/09/

un-summit-ny-week-will-highlight-role-internet-opportunity

VI. MaRNEW Workshop
The Managing Radio Networks in an Encrypted World (MaRNEW) joint IAB/
GSMA workshop was held in Atlanta, GA on 24-25 September 2015. This 
workshop brought together the IETF/IRTF community with the mobile 
operator community to discuss the challenges of operating and managing 
mobile networks in the presence of encryption. ISOC helped to sponsor 
and supported the organization and execution of the workshop. There was 
general consensus that encryption is not an insurmountable problem, 
however, some current techniques for network operation and management 
will need to change in this new environment. Additional data is needed 
to better understand the true nature of the challenges. Potential future 
work items include cooperative data gathering and sharing to better 
characterize the challenges, improvements to existing methods and 
development of new methods for resource management, and a new protocol 
for keyless SSL. Meeting minutes are expected by the end of October with 
a report to follow possibly by the end of the year or early 2016.

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Ted Hardie thanked ISOC for all of the information about WSIS+10. Mat Ford said that he would pass that thanks along to the team.

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Alia Atlas–

Recent new working groups:
  Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ice)
  Deterministic Networking (detnet)
  Interface to Network Security Functions (i2nsf)
  Simplified Use of Policy Abstractions (supa)
  Geographic JSON (geojson)

Current new chartering:
  Selection of Language for Internet Media (slim)
  Captive Portal Interaction (capport)

Current rechartering:
  Network Configuration (netconf)
  TURN Revised and Modernized (tram)

Pending rechartering:

Recently closed working groups:
  Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (xmpp)

Personnel changes:
  Path Computation Element (PCE) - Added Jonathan Hardwick as third 
  Chair

–End IESG Liaison Report, Alia Atlas–

Dave Thaler noted that new Working Groups are being chartered faster than Working Groups are being closed, and asked if that trend is expected to continue. Alia Atlas noted that the ART Area has been opening more small WGs that are only tasked with a few deliverables before being shut down.

2.3. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

Here's what's new in the IRTF.
 
 - Looking for a new SDNRG co-chair.
 
 - Email delivery issue for some RG lists diagnosed as an issue between 
   mailman and apache, fixed by Glen (thanks!)

 - RAIM workshop planning in the final stages.

 - ANRP 2016 deadline coming up, soliciting more submissions.

 - ICNRG had an interim meeting on Oct 3:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim/2015/10/03/icnrg/proceedings.html

–End IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

2.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments (relevant)
====================
Public comment processes: https://www.icann.org/public-comments#open-
public


New gTLD Auction Proceeds Discussion Paper

https://www.icann.org/public-comments/new-gtld-auction-

proceeds-2015-09-08-en
Close date: 8 November 2015

II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant
===========================================

Transition
----------

Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability (CCWG)

The Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability 
(CCWG) remains a key topic on the agenda. The CCWG held open 
consultation on its proposal, which did receive quite a few comments. 
The CCWG is still in the process of reviewing the comments and is 
providing the analysis for the ICANN Dublin meeting starting
on October 18th. The current state of the comment analysis can be found 
at https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Reading+List+-
+Dublin.

The CCWG held a face-to-face meeting in Los Angeles in the end of 
September. The goal of the meeting was to resolve the open issues in the 
CCWG proposal. Alas, this target was not achieved as the analysis of the 
public comments was not ready and the amount of work remaining was still 
too large to finish the discussion. The discussion and work of the CCWG 
has continued during the past weeks in the hope of finalising the work 
in Dublin or at least move the work significantly forward. 

There seems to be consensus around the targets of the accountability 
work - these include the capability for the community to address budget, 
bylaw changes, remove a board member or remove the complete board. 
However, the sticking point is how to make the decision enforceable. For 
instance, what happens if a removed board member would refuse to leave 
her seat. There is a notion that the community should be able to take 
ICANN to court if the board would refuse to comply. Main sticking
point is what is the organisational model to allow that and how to avoid
unintended consequences in a new model. This discussion is still 
ongoing.

The ICANN accountability work is one of the deliverables to NTIA for 
transition. Therefore, it currently seems that the CCWG is on the 
critical path of the transition.


III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
=========================================================

Next ICANN meeting is 18th-22nd October in Dublin, 2015.
-------------------------------------------------------

Certainly the transition and the CCWG will be the main discussion points 
in Dublin.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

The IAB will discuss potential comments on the New gTLD Auction Proceeds Discussion Paper via email.

2.5. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Liaison Report – 14 October 2015

2014 SLA Deliverables Update:

- ICANN met 100% of processing goal times for the August 2015 monthly 
statistics, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing goal times.  
These times include the steps that the IANA Department has control over 
and not time it is waiting on requesters, document authors or other 
experts.

Other News:

- Annual Customer Satisfaction Survey for the IANA Department closed 
yesterday, 13 October 2015.  A report of the summary of the results will 
be published in December 2015.  
 
- Currently have 2 open positions in the IANA Department.  Typically 
there are twelve staff in the IANA department; 4 staff are dedicated to 
processing requests.  At this time we are recruiting to fill 2 vacant 
positions.  All staff are cross-trained so at this time we continue to 
handle the load even though short staffed.  Our target is to have new 
staff on board and trained by the end of the calendar year.

- The IAB will receive a .arpa change request in the first week of 
November.  This request is related to name server changes for 
h.root-servers.net.

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

2.6. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RSE Update

* Format project
A major milestone has been met, with all the drafts required for this
effort completed and sent to the RSOC on 13 October 2015 to start the
formal review process. A reading list of all drafts and their suggested
reading order is available here:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rse/wiki/doku.php?id=design:start

* RFC Editor website (final report)
On 1 October 2015, the RFC Editor switched to the new WordPress managed
site. Feedback so far has been fairly positive, with only minor issues
reported. A list of feedback and associated status has been linked to
from the main page of the RFC Editor website. At this point, we consider
the project component done, and all further work part of general
operational improvements for the site.

* Kicking off the Stats & Metrics project
The RFC Editor Automation of Stats and Reporting project was originally
scoped in 2014. The project was put on hold after the SOW went through
community review. With the RFC Editor website project complete and work
moved into operations, and the format work at a slow point with regards
to its impact on the RFC Editor, the RSE has requested that this project 
be reactivated.

* IETF 94 and the W3C TPAC
The RSE will be attending the second half of the W3C TPAC in Sapporo as
part of a face-to-face meeting of the Digital Publishing Interest Group.
Hopefully there will also be useful side conversations regarding i18n
and the work out of the CSS and ARIA (accessibility) working groups as
they might inform the upcoming format changes for the RFC Editor.
The RFC Editor will have regular desk hours as per usual at IETF 94. The
RSE and ISE will both offer open office hours; more details will be
posted on the (new!) RFC Editor website.


RPC Report

* Stats - http://www.rfc-editor.org/report-summary/
The RPC did not meet the SLA this month. Submission rates remain high,
and a particularly large number of documents have entered the EDIT queue
this month.

* RFC Editor website
The RPC staff played an important part in the testing of the new
website, content transfer, and verification. Many thanks to the team for
their hard work!

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

The IAB confirmed that there will be two RFCs for the format process documents: one for the design, and one for the implementation. The implementation RFC will not necessarily be backwards-compatible.

3. IETF 94 Tech Plenary

The IAB agreed to change the date and time of the technical plenary dry run teleconference to 21 October 2015 at 0930 PDT / 1630 UTC. Cindy Morgan will update the WebEx invitation and calendar accordingly. The time for the in-person dry run is still to be determined; it depends on whether there will be a joint IAB/IESG breakfast meeting on Monday morning. Jari Arkko expects to have an answer to that by the end of this week.

4. IAB Schedule at IETF 94

The IAB briefly reviewed the schedule of Program meetings for IETF 94. Privacy and Security, IP Stack Evolution, IANA Evolution, and RSOC will all meet.

Dave Thaler noted that the tutorial on Internationalization conflicts with the IAB meeting on Sunday afternoon; this is unfortunate, as several of the people qualified to present on this topic are on the IAB. Marc Blanchet will ask Yoshiro Yoneya if he is available to present during that tutorial.

Noting that conflicts between tutorials and the Sunday IAB meetings are a recurring problem, the IAB agreed to ask the IESG (via their liaison) to consider adding an additional earlier tutorial slot on Sundays.

5. BOF/PRG Coverage at IETF 94

Cindy Morgan asked the IAB to sign up for BOF and proposed Research Group coverage on the wiki. Lars Eggert noted that several of the PRGs will likely be chartered after Yokohama, and that he welcomes IAB input.

6. Emergency Services Program

The IAB agreed to add Andrew Hutton and Natasha Rooney to the Emergency Services Program. Mary Barnes will follow up with them, and Cindy Morgan will update the website and mailing list.

7. draft-housley-web-pki-problems

The IAB agreed to adopt draft-housley-web-pki-problems on the IAB stream. Russ Housley will submit the next revision as draft-iab-web-pki-problems.

8. draft-iab-privsec-confidentiality-mitigations

The IAB agreed to adopt draft-iab-privsec-confidentiality-mitigations on the IAB stream. Ted Hardie will submit the -00 version of the Internet-Draft.

9. Response to the ICG

The IAB approved a response to the ICG’s question to the protocol parameters community via e-vote. The IAB Chair sent the response to the ICG on 8 October 2015.

10. IANA Transition Update

Andrew Sullivan asked the IAB if they had any changes to the IAB’s messages on the IANA transition to carry forward at the upcoming ICANN meeting. The IAB confirmed that they had no changes to their existing messaging.

11. Executive Session: Finances

The IAB discussed finances in an executive session.