Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2016-02-10

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2016»IAB Minutes 2016-02-10

Minutes of the 2016-02-10 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

Present:
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Alia Atlas (IESG Liaison)
  • Mary Barnes
  • Marc Blanchet
  • Michelle Cotton (IANA Liaison)
  • Ralph Droms
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley
  • Lee Howard (incoming IAB, April 2016)
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Jonne Soininen (ICANN Liaison)
  • Robert Sparks
  • Andrew Sullivan (IAB Chair)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Martin Thomson (incoming IAB, April 2016)
  • Brian Trammell
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
  • Suzanne Woolf

1.2. Administrivia

No new items were added to the agenda.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 3 February 2016 business meeting remain under review.

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
9 Feb 2016

Topics:

 I. 2016 Internet Governance Forum (IGF) Multistakeholder Advisory Group  
(MAG)
II. Internet Society @ APEC Senior Officials Meetings (SOM1)
III. Internet Society @ RightsCon 2016
IV. Spanish Versions of ISOC Policy Briefing Papers Released
 V. IXP Development and Network training
VI. Fellows to the IETF Alumni Survey

I. 2016 Internet Governance Forum (IGF) Multistakeholder Advisory Group 
(MAG)
The Internet Technical Collaboration Group nominations committee 
(NOMCOM) put forward the following slate of new candidates for 
consideration by the United Nations for the 2016 IGF MAG.  Names are 
listed in alphabetical order:

•    Miss Laura Hutchison of the United Kingdom
•    Mr. Mwendwa Kivuva of Kenya
•    Ms. Karen McCabe of the United States of America
•    Mr. Shernon Osepa of Curaçao (Netherlands)
•    Mr. Sumon Ahmed Sabir of Bangladesh
•    Ms. Salam Yamout of Lebanon

In addition to these new candidates, the Internet Technical 
Collaboration Group endorsed the continuing participation of the 
following individuals in the MAG:

•    Mr. Peter Dengate Thrush of New Zealand
•    Mr. Xiaodong Lee of the People’s Republic of China
•    Ms. Izumi Okutani of Japan
•    Ms. Lynn St. Amour of the United States of America
•    Mr. German Valdez of Australia
•    Mr. Flavio Wagner of Brazil

II. Internet Society @ APEC Senior Officials Meetings (SOM1) 
The Internet Society will be participating in the APEC Electronic 
Commerce Steering Group (ECSG) meetings in Lima, Peru from 23 to 27 
February 2016. One of the key work items for this meeting is the 
“stocktake” of the APEC Privacy Framework. For more information 
regarding APEC privacy, please see this article in the latest edition of 
the Internet Technical Advisory Committee (ITAC) newsletter: 
<https://www.internetac.org/archives/2390>. On 22 February 2016, we will be 
speaking in a workshop on "Building a Dependable Framework for Privacy, 
Innovation and Cross-Border Data Flows in the Asia-Pacific Region”. We 
have also been invited to speak in a panel in the Committee on Trade and 
Investment (CTI) "Trade Policy Dialogue: Facilitating Digital Trade”. 
Additionally, the Internet Society has been invited to speak about 
technical means to protect privacy, and data portability during the ECSG 
meetings.

III. Internet Society @ RightsCon 2016
The Internet Society is sponsoring the RightsCon 2016 conference
<https://www.rightscon.org/>, to be held from 30 March to 1 April in San 
Francisco. This annual event gathers leading technologists, activists, 
companies and civil society leaders interested in digital rights issues. 
The Internet Society will organise a workshop about exploring the costs 
and risks associated with big data breaches and their impact on user 
trust. Internet Society Trustee Walid Al-Saqaf will also be present at 
this event and will share his in-depth experience of Internet freedom 
issues.

IV. Spanish Versions of ISOC Policy Briefing Papers Released
Last week, the Internet Society released Spanish versions of the policy 
briefing papers that were originally issued in English in October 2015. 
The Spanish versions are available at 
<http://www.internetsociety.org/es/policybriefs>. 
Both the English versions and the Spanish translations 
have been well received by the ISOC community and beyond. French 
translations are currently in progress. The current briefing paper 
series covers 10 topics written for non-expert policymakers and other 
non-technical audiences with an interest in Internet policy. The current 
topics include: Botnets, The Internet and Human Rights, Internet 
Governance, Internet Interconnection, IXPs, Local Content, Network 
Neutrality, Open Internet Standards, An Introduction to Privacy, and 
Spam.  New papers will be added to the series this year, approximately 3 
per quarter.  English versions are available at: 
<http://www.internetsociety.org/policybriefs>

V. IXP Development and Network training
Our teams continued IXP development work in November and December in 
Kyrgyzstan, Nigeria, and Zimbabwe with more focused technical training. 
In Kyrgyzstan former Netnod CEO Kurtis Lindqvist helped provide both 
practical, management, and technical perspectives. In Nigeria our local 
team and regional trainers provided focused network training at the 
request of IXPN to local Internet service providers, and in Zimbabwe the 
team provided training to both government and ISP technical experts.

VI. Fellows to the IETF Alumni Survey
The Internet Society is developing a Tech Fellows to IETF survey for all 
previous participants going back to the inception of the program in 
2006. The goal of the survey is to gather data on the impact of the 
programme, including key metrics around sustained participation (e.g. 
mailing lists, RFC development, etc.), supporting IETF growth in region, 
mentorship, capacity building, and other areas. This data will be used 
as input into the continuous improvement plan for the Fellows to the 
IETF Programme.

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Alia Atlas–

Recent new working groups:
  CURves, Deprecating and a Little more Encryption (curdle)
  Font Top Level Media Type (justfont)

Current new chartering:

Recent rechartering:
   Web Authorization Protocol (oath)
   Multiparty Multimedia Session Control (mmusic)

Current rechartering:
   IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e (6tisch) 
   Locator/ID Separation Protocol (lisp) 
   Dispatch (dispatch)

Recently closed working groups:
   BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP (hybi)
   Peer to Peer Streaming Protocol (ppsp)
   DTLS in Constrained Environments (dice)

Personnel changes:
   SFC chair addition:  added Martin Stiemerling

–End IESG Liaison Report, Alia Atlas–

2.3. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

- ICNRG Interim meeting Paris, France on January 14-15, 2016

–End IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

Ted Hardie asked if draft-iab-irtf-chair-description had piqued any interest from people considering nominations for IRTF Chair in 2017. Lars Eggert replied that the document does not seem to have had an effect, but that the IRSG had brainstormed in Yokohama and came up with a group of names to approach once the call for nominations goes out.

2.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments needing attention (only highlights)
=======================================================
(All public comment processes: 

https://www.icann.org/public-comments#open-public)

Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) Operational Profile for gTLD 
Registries and Registrars (https://www.icann.org/public-comments/rdap-
profile-2015-12-03-en) 
End: Feb 15th, 2016

II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant
===========================================

New ICANN CEO
-------------

ICANN has announced a new President and CEO Göran Marby 
(https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2016-02-08-en). 
Göran will join ICANN most probably in May. Göran is Swedish.


CCWG and transition
-------------------

There is a feeling in the board that CCWG is getting to closure of the 
current stage of the work. The board has communicated multiple 
clarifications to its positions and the CCWG seems to be moving towards 
consensus. The work will, of course, continue in the implementation 
phase.


III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
=========================================================

ICANN#55 Marrakech March 5-10, 2016

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

2.5. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Liaison Report – 10 February 2016

SLA Deliverables Update:

- ICANN met 98% of processing goal times for the January 2016 monthly 
statistic exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing goal times.  
These times include the steps that the IANA Department has control over 
and not time it is waiting on requesters, document authors or other 
experts.


Other News:

- None to report this month

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

2.6. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RSE Update
* Format project
The format drafts continue the IAB review, and several of the drafts
have already started to receive community feedback on rfc-interest. One
suggestion has come in that the RFC Format Design Team offer an
informational session on the Sunday of IETF 95 to talk about the
upcoming changes. This will be discussed with the RSOC during their
February call. While keeping the community informed is critical, no
actual tools (other than prototypes built by the design team) will be
available by April 2016, and depending on when the community comment
period starts, it may have concluded by that time as well. The RSOC,
RSE, and design team will make a decision later this month on what
should be the next steps regarding possible training.

* RFC Editor Infrastructure
In 2017, the RFC Production Center will be involved in a major
refactoring of their infrastructure, in particular the RFC Editor
database and associated tools. The planning and design for that work,
however, has already started. A small team including Robert Sparks,
Henrik Levkowetz, Sandy Ginoza, Alice Russo, Joe Hildebrand, and Heather
Flanagan have started meeting on the topic and will continue to do so
for the next several months.

* RFC Editor Automated Stats and Metrics
The contract for this project was awarded to Standcore. A kickoff
meeting is planned for early February 2016. The goal of the project is
to both automate the creation of reports out of the RPC and have those
reports represent the requirements of the new SLA (see the RPC Update).

* W3C Digital Publishing Interest Group
The W3C Digital Publishing Interest Group
(https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Main_Page) is actively working on
defining the requirements of a Portable Web Publication. A Portable Web
Publication is "a collection of content items (e.g. pages, chapters,
modules, articles) whose content is compatible with Web usage, and
structured as a single, self-contained logical unit." [1] Small task
forces are meeting to discuss how to describe locators within a PWP
context, as well as capturing specific use cases around accessibility,
archiving, and more. Heather Flanagan remains active within the group,
and is participating primarily in the general use case and archival
requirements teams.

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/pwp/

RPC update
In 2016, the RPC starts to report against the new SLA. The SLA can be
found at the end of the RPC Statement of Work (currently found here:
http://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/RPC-SoW-2015-CommunityReview.pdf). The
new SLA looks at the number of pages per quarter, as opposed to the
number of documents, moving through the RPC. When the new formats are
available, these page counts will be determined by the PDF format (which
is naturally paginated). There are three tiers of effort:

 * Tier 1: When there is a normal amount of input, the SLA is 67% of
documents published within the period have an RFC Editor-controlled time
that adds up to six weeks or fewer. Where ‘normal’ is defined as less
than 1950 Pages gone to EDIT (PGTE).
 * Tier 2: When there is a moderate burst in the amount of input, then
the SLA shifts to 50% of documents published within the period have an
RFC Editor controlled time that adds up to 12 weeks or fewer within the
given quarter or the subsequent quarter. Where a ‘moderate’ burst is
defined as 1950 – 3072 (inclusive) Pages gone to EDIT (PGTE).
 * Tier 3: When there is a large burst in the amount of input, then the
SLA must be discussed and renegotiated. Where ‘large’ burst is defined
as greater than 3072 Pages gone to EDIT (PGTE).

The report against the new SLA can be found in the usual reports
location: https://www.rfc-editor.org/report-summary/

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

3. RFC Format Drafts

The IAB approved the RFC Format Drafts for community review pending Dave Thaler’s review of a soon-to-be-posted revision of draft-iab-rfcv3-preptool. Cindy Morgan will send out the community review message with the suggested reading order, and request that comments on individual drafts include the relevant document filename in the subject line.

4. draft-iab-rfc5741bis

The IAB approved draft-iab-rfc5741bis as an Informational RFC, pending the addition of an RFC Editor Note to be provided by Robert Sparks.

Robert Sparks took an action to ensure the creation of the web page to be used for maintaining RFC boilerplate as described in the document.

5. IAB Chair Selection Process

The IAB approved Marc Blanchet as the chair of the IAB Chair Selection Committee. Marc will send out an email to open up the nominations for IAB Chair.

6. IANA Evolution Program Review

Russ Housley updated the IAB on the current state of the IANA Evolution Program, noting that it is currently one of the IAB’s most active Programs.

The IANA Evolution Program’s primary focus is the stewardship over the IANA functions. This includes:

  • The contractual relations between the US DoC and ICANN and the globalization thereof
  • The IANA MoU (RFC2860) and related agreements between stakeholders
  • The development of a vision with respect to the future of the IANA functions
  • Implementation and interpretation of the above.

The Program also acts as a think-tank and advises the IAB on strategic and liaison issues. In some cases, this group may provide guidance and insight on matters relating to ICANN in general. The group is not responsible for daily operational guidance, such as review of the SLA between the IETF and ICANN. Those responsibilities are delegated to the IPROC.

Current Program work items include:

  • Identifying the desired strategic direction for the relationship of IETF, the IANA function, and other parties
  • Tracking the developments surrounding the DoC IANA function contract and its globalization
  • Responding to specific developments and information requests on this topic
  • Developing, maintaining and advising on the implementation of the principles guiding the evolution on the IANA Protocol Parameter Registries

The Program has documented a framework for describing the management of Internet registries managed by the IANA, including the terminology describing the various roles and responsibilities associated with management of Internet registry functions. This was published as RFC 7500: Principles for Operation of Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Registries.

The Program has also reviewed documents and recommend responses to the
IAB, including:

  • Comments on RDAP Operational Profile for gTLD Registries and Registrars
  • Comments on the CCWG-Accountability 3rd Draft Report
  • Comments on the CCWG-Accountability 2nd Draft Report
  • Comments on the ICG Proposal
  • Comments on the CCWG-Accountability 1st Draft Report
  • Statement on the NETmundial Initiative

The Program also offers review and guidance to the IAB, the ICG (IANA Stewardship Coordination Group) Members, and the IETF IANAPLAN WG Chairs, and shares information within the Program membership.

Russ Housley suggested inviting new IAB members to join the Program, and asking inactive Program members if they are interested in remaining on the Program. He also suggested updating the Program web page to remove the completed work items, add pointers to the comments and statements, and re-word the reference to “globalization,” as that term as fallen out of favor. The IAB agreed that these seem like reasonable changes, and Russ Housley will follow up accordingly.

The IAB noted that the Program’s scope of work will likely change depending on if the ICG proposal is delivered to and accepted by NTIA, but that any such changes are at least 6-9 months away.

7. Emergency Services High Level Document

Brian Trammell reported that he has asked the ART Area Directors if there is interest in adopting the high-level document on emergency services, and is waiting to hear back.

Mary Barnes will follow up with the Emergency Services Program and see if there is a volunteer to transform the current draft (in PDF white paper form) into an Internet-Draft.

8. ETSI Industry Specification Group on Next Generation Protocols

Ralph Droms volunteered to join the mailing list for the ETSI Industry Specification Group on Next Generation Protocols and keep the IAB informed on any developments there that are relevant to the IETF.

9. draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update

The IAB discussed draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update. Based on the ongoing discussion on the IETF list, Ted Hardie will update the draft to remove the language about IAB Programs, and say that in order to fulfill the requirements of RFC 4333 with the most effective person, the IAB will appoint one of its members to the IAOC.

The IAB recognized that since this document proposes changes to a BCP, it would need to be progressed on the IETF Stream rather than the IAB Stream.

10. draft-hildebrand-rfc3677bis

The IAB adopted draft-hildebrand-rfc3677bis on the IAB stream. Joe Hildebrand will post an updated version of the document as draft-iab- rfc3677bis.

11. Executive Session: ISOC Board of Trustees Appointment

Marc Blanchet and Russ Housley recused themselves from the discussion and left the teleconference. The IAB discussed the ISOC Board of Trustees appointment in an executive session. Ted Hardie took an action to draft the initial set of questions to be asked of the candidates.