Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2016-06-08

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2016»IAB Minutes 2016-06-08

Minutes of the 2016-06-08 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

Present:
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Michelle Cotton (IANA Liaison)
  • Ralph Droms
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley
  • Lee Howard
  • Suresh Krishnan (IESG Liaison)
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Andrew Sullivan (IAB Chair)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Martin Thomsom
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
  • Suzanne Woolf
Regrets:
  • Jonne Soininen (ICANN Liaison)
  • Robert Sparks
  • Brian Trammell

1.2. Administrivia

An Executive Session to discuss the Internationalization Program Membership was added to the agenda.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 1 June 2016 business meeting were approved.

1.4. Action item review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
6 June 2016

Topics:

  I. IANA Update
 II. Online Dialogue on Encryption
III. Preparations for WTSA 2016
 IV. ISOC Attends the 2016 Session of ITU Council
  V. ISOC Response to NTIA RFC on Internet of Things
 VI. CITEL Meeting, San Salvador 16 - 20 May
VII. IXP Development in Pakistan, Papua New Guinea and Paraguay
VIII. Ethical data handling in healthcare

I. IANA update
On May 24, the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and 
Transportation held a Hearing on “Examining the Multistakeholder Plan 
for Transitioning the Internet Assigned Number Authority”. In light of 
the hearing, the Internet Society released a statement in support of a 
timely transition. The statement can be found here 
<https://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-statement- 
support-iana-stewardship-transition>.

On May 27, the ICANN Board approved the new ICANN Bylaws for the IANA 
Stewardship Transition and Transmittal of confirmation to NTIA. The 
ICANN Board also approved the IETF MoU and RIRs SLAs.

II. Online Dialogue on Encryption
The Internet Society and Washington DC Chapter of the Internet Society 
(ISOC-DC) co-hosted a global Online Dialogue about Encryption on 25 May 
2016. More information about the event including a video recording of 
the dialogue is available here <https://www.internetsociety.org/events/ 
online-dialogue-about-encryption>. Participants and others are 
encouraged to continue the dialogue on Twitter using the hashtag 
#InternetTrust.

III. Preparations for WTSA 2016
As a Sector Member of the ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector 
(ITU-T), ISOC will be participating at the the World Telecommunication 
Standardization Assembly (WTSA) on 25 October to 3 November 2016 in 
Tunisia. ISOC has put together a background paper to provide the 
community with an outline of key objectives and issues to be addressed 
at WTSA 2016. The paper is available here 
<http://www.internetsociety.org/doc/itu-world-telecommunication- 
standardization-assembly-2016-background-paper>.

IV. ISOC Attends the 2016 Session of ITU Council
ISOC was invited as an observer to the 2016 Session of ITU Council from 
25 May – 2 June. Council governs the Union during the intervening period 
between plenipotentiary conferences and ensures that the ITU's 
activities, policies and strategy are implemented. Council received 
various reports and will consider proposals on a broad range of 
telecommunications matters. Some of the topics for discussion include 
the Review Process for the Expert Working Group on ITRs in 2017,  ITU’s 
Role in the implementation of WSIS outcomes, and progress report on 
Internet activities. Additionally, at this session Council will consider 
changes to the Sector Membership structure including new pricing 
methodologies and new eligibility requirements for fee exempt 
organizations. The new requirements could make it tougher for some non-
profit organizations to qualify for a fee exemption. Any changes adopted 
by Council would be provisionally implemented until the final approval 
at Plenipotentiary 2018. 

V. ISOC Response to NTIA RFC on Internet of Things
ISOC is responding to NTIA’s RFC on the Internet of Things. Rather than 
responding to individual questions, we are sending for the record our 
recent report "Internet of Things: An Overview - Understanding the 
Issues and Challenges of a More Connected World" (the paper is available 
at <http://www.internetsociety.org/sites/default/files/ISOC-IoT- 
Overview-20151221-en.pdf>). The paper addresses many questions posed in 
the RFC and NTIA indicated that they would welcome receiving it in 
response. In our transmission cover letter we note that the IAB has 
additionally sent in comments under its own cover.

VI. CITEL Meeting, San Salvador 16 - 20 May
The Internet Society participated in the recent meeting of CITEL-CCP1 in 
San Salvador, including their day-long seminar "The Internet of Things 
and Machine to Machine Communications - Approaches to the Americas", and 
the Regional Preparatory Meetings to WTSA-16. In the seminar, we 
emphasized the need to continue Internet infrastructure development, 
remove barriers to data center development and operation, and promote 
the adoption and use of open, voluntary standards as building blocks for 
IoT. We also formally submitted our 10 briefing papers released in 2015, 
the complete IoT Paper and a summary of the LAC participation in IETF95 
as information documents, which were extremely well received. In the 
preparations for the WTSA-16, there are 20 country proposals being 
discussed. If a proposal receives the support of 6 countries, it becomes 
an InterAmerican Proposal (IAP) to be submitted to the WTSA-16. There 
are no IAPs approved yet. One issue we are watching is possible support 
from some CITEL member states to request ITU to coordinate a harmonized 
development of standards and recommendations for IoT. The next meeting 
is scheduled for 15-19 August 2016, in Lima, Peru.

VII. IXP Development in Pakistan, Papua New Guinea and Paraguay
ISOC partnered with NSRC to provide BGP for IXP training to 28 students 
in Islamabad, Pakistan from 18-22 April. Discussions have been ongoing 
with the Pakistani Telecom Authority (PTA) and ISOC’s Asia-Pacific 
Bureau and Development team to encourage IXP development in the country. 
We expect to see an IXP launched in Islamabad by the end of 2016. 
Pakistan is also looking at IXP development in Lahore and Karachi, and 
the SANOG January 2017 meeting in Islamabad will be a critical 
opportunity to strengthen the Internet community in the country.

ISOC have also been working with the Regulator in Papua New Guinea to 
discuss IXP Development. In 2014, ISOC partnered with NSRC to conduct a 
high-level IXP workshop in Port Moresby. Discussions continued and 
culminated in BGP for IXP training May 13-20 in Port Moresby. Over 20 
students were trained and a switch will be sent to Port Moresby to 
support the local community. The communications regulator has provided 
temporary neutral housing for the IXP. The upcoming PACNOG meeting in 
Port Moresby the week of 4-7 July represents a key opportunity to 
support the growing Internet community in PNG.

ISOC has been working with the University of Asuncion in Paraguay to 
develop an IXP. Training continued with the community May 23-27 and we 
expect to see an IXP up and running by July.

VIII. Ethical data handling in healthcare
ISOC has joined the newly-established ethics board for an EU research 
project in the healthcare domain; technical work on contextual privacy 
and consent will be carried out by (among others) Fraunhofer Institut 
and Tor Vergata University. This is an important opportunity to test 
some of the principles and guidelines we are formulating through our 
work on ethical data handling.

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

2.2. IESG Liaison Report

–Begin IESG Liaison Report, Suresh Krishnan–

IESG Discussing:
 Nomcom requirements for IESG positions
 Meeting Policy/IETF 100
 IoT directorate

Current new chartering WGs:

 Meeting Venue  (mtgvenue) - GEN
 Session initiation Protocol Best-practice Recommendations
 Against Network Danger (sipbrandy) - ART
 Babel routing protocol (babel) - RTG

Current rechartering WGs:
 Locator/ID Separation Protocol (lisp) - RTG [has been rechartered]

Recently closed WGs:
 Multiple Interfaces (mif) - INT
 Network-Based Mobility Extensions (netext) - INT
 IMAP APPEND Extensions (imapapnd) - ART

Personnel changes:
 calext(ART): added Philipp Kewisch and Daniel Migault as chairs
              removed Amanda Anganes as chair
 core(ART): added Jaime Jiménez as chair
 dtn(TSV): removed Brian Haberman as chair

–End IESG Liaison Report, Suresh Krishnan–

2.3. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

* We received 17 full papers and 13 short papers for the ANRW workshop, 
  which I think is a very decent turnout

* ANRP winners for IETF-96 to be announced today

* ANRP 2017 submissions to open soon-ish

–End IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

2.4. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments needing attention (only highlights)
=======================================================
(All public comment processes: https://www.icann.org/public-comments#open-public)

Draft Restated Articles of Incorporation 
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/draft-restated-articles-incorporation-2016-05-27-en)
End: Jul 6th, 2016

Reference Label Generation Rulesets (LGRs) for the Second Level 
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/lgr-second-level-2016-06-07-en)
End: Jul 18th, 2016

Revisions to ICANN Expected Standards of Behaviours 
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/expected-standards-
revisions-2016-05-16-en)
End: Jun 25th, 2016

II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant
===========================================

IANA stewardship transition
---------------------------

ICANN board has approved the new bylaws and the contracts with the IETF 
and the RIRs in the board meeting on May 27th. This is another major 
milestone preparing for IANA stewardship transition. As a next step, the 
ICANN articles of incorporation are currently on public comment until 
July 6th. In addition, still a lot of work remains in the implementation 
part including setting up the PTI, finalising all necessary contracting, 
transferring the IPR, etc.

ICANN board enhancing openness and transparency
-----------------------------------------------

ICANN board adopted a resolution to start publishing the audio and/or 
transcripts of the board meetings (https://www.icann.org/resources/
board-material/resolutions-2016-05-15-en#2.f.i). The first step is to 
put a plan how this should be done and the board will check that in the 
Helsinki ICANN meeting.


III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
=========================================================

ICANN#56, June 27-30, 2016, Helsinki, Finland.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

Dave Thaler noted that the public comment deadline for ICANN’s “Reference Label Generation Ruleset (LGRs) for the Second Level” closes 18 July 2016, and that the IAB might want to comment. Andrew Sullivan agreed to send a message to the Internationalization Program list to make them aware of the deadline for comments. This item will be added to the agenda for discussion at the IAB meeting on 22 June 2016.

2.5. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Liaison Report – 08 June 2016

SLA Deliverables Update:

- The 2016 SLA between the IETF and ICANN was approved by the ICANN 
  board for signature.

- There are no monthly statistics to report this time.  The next monthly 
  report will be available on 15 June 2016.

Other News:

-  If there are any technical topics from view of the IETF or IAB that 
  would be helpful to present at the CCNSO technical day at the ICANN-56 
  meeting, please contact Michelle Cotton.

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

2.6. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

Project Updates
- Format status 
Final bits are still being completed on the preptool, HTML, CSS, and 
xml2rfc v3 drafts. Those drafts are expected to be done in the next week 
or two, at which point the IAB will be notified regarding the entire, 
complete set of requirements drafts for this project. The goal is still 
to get the RFPs out before IETF 96.

The SoW for the CSS that will be used by RFCs in the new format era has 
gone out for community review. See https://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.htm. (This 
is a separate SoW than the one for tools that has already gone through a 
comment period.) The CSS SoW comment period is open through 21 June 
2016.
- Stats and Metrics project
This project is in the final stages. Various preparatory changes 
required in the RFC Editor database are complete, and the team is ready 
to do the final install when the last bug fixes are in place. We expect 
the project to be declared done by the end of this month.
- Digital Signatures
The RSOC has offered several points of feedback, resulting in an update 
to draft-housley-rfc-and-id-signatures. Also in progress, a public-
facing FAQ-style document that will go on the RFC Editor website to 
explain what the signatures are for, how to read them, etc. 

RPC Report - https://www.rfc-editor.org/report-summary/

- The distribution of page counts in primary processing states has 
remained steady for the last three months. The number of pages in EDIT 
is down 44% since the peak in November 2015, while the number of pages 
in AUTH48 has increased 35% during the same time frame.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

3. IAB Expertise Description for NomCom

The IAB approved the description for IAB expertise that will be used by the NomCom pending edits to the time commitment for IAB members. Brian Trammell will send the write up to the NomCom Chair once the edits have been made.

4. IGF Retreat 2016 Call for Written Inputs

The IAB discussed the call for input for the IGF Retreat. Suzanne Woolf noted that the IAB has a mailing list (internetgovtech@iab.org) specifically for this type of discussion. Andrew Sullivan agreed that it would be a good idea to use this venue for further discussion with the wider IETF community. Suzanne will start a thread on the mailing list.

5. IEEE 802 Coordination Meeting

Cindy Morgan mentioned the next IEEE 802 Coordination virtual teleconference was scheduled for 8 June 2016. In addition, the next face-to-face meeting for the coordination group has been announced for Paris, France in September 2016. Cindy asked if the IAB budget would send her to the meeting to take minutes as she has done in the past for the face-to-face meetings. The IAB approved using the IAB budget for this expenditure.

6. Program Meetings at IETF 96

Cindy Morgan reminded the IAB to add any Program meetings to the IAB wiki for IETF 96. In addition, Program Leads should contact her about any additional A/V or catering requirements for Program meetings.

7. IAB Agenda at IETF 96

The IAB agreed to move the IETF 96 Tuesday morning (19 July) IAB meeting to Wednesday (20 July) pending the approval of the IAOC moving their Wednesday morning meeting to Tuesday. Cindy Morgan will coordinate with Secretariat staff to make the change.

8. Executive Session: Update Internationalization Program Membership

The membership of the Internationalization Program was discussed in an executive session. The membership and web page for the program will be updated accordingly.

9. Other Business

There was no other business, and the meeting was adjourned.