Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2016-09-28

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2016»IAB Minutes 2016-09-28

Minutes of the 2016-09-28 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

Present:
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Ralph Droms
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley
  • Lee Howard
  • Ted Hardie
  • Suresh Krishnan (IESG Liaison)
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Robert Sparks
  • Andrew Sullivan (IAB Chair)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Martin Thomsom
  • Brian Trammell
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
  • Suzanne Woolf
Regrets:
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)

1.2. Administrivia

Cindy Morgan reminded the IAB that the BOF coordination call for IETF 97 will be on Thursday, 6 October 2016 at 0700 PDT.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 14 September 2016 business meeting were approved.

1.4. Action Item Review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
14 September 2016

Topics:

  I. APEC Senior Officials Meetings 3

I. APEC Senior Officials Meetings 3 (SOM3) Electronic Commerce Steering 
Group (ECSG) (15-19 August 2016, Lima, Peru)

The Internet Society participated in the recent APEC ECSG meetings, 
where one of the focus areas of work was on updates to the APEC Privacy 
Framework. The Internet Society gave several presentations, including an 
overview of its upcoming Global Internet Report regarding data breaches, 
and the beta version policy framework for an open and trusted Internet.

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

2.2. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Liaison Report – 28 September 2016

SLA Deliverables Update:

- ICANN met 100% of processing goal times for both the August 2016 
  monthly statistics reports, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of 
  processing goal times.  These times include the steps that the IANA 
  Department has control over and not time it is waiting on requesters, 
  document authors or other experts.
 
Other News:

- ICANN is working on improvements in communications with regards to TZ 
  database changes.

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

2.3. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RFC Series Editor

- Format update
The various format drafts are actively being edited by the RPC. The RSE
has asked that these documents be treated as a document cluster so that
terminology and style are consistent within and between each doc. A link
to the cluster is here: https://www.rfc-editor.org/cluster_info.php?cid=C294

The RFP for the format tools was approved to go out to bid by the IAOC
earlier this month (September); the RFP is expected to be posted within
the next week. The RFP for the CSS formally closed on September 9; the
Tools Management Committee is discussing the response received.

- Digital Signatures for RFCs
After a series of useful calls with the RPC, and discussions online with
the RSOC and Russ Housley, the RSE has the action item to further update
the proposed operating procedures. The procedures document is expected
to be out for another review by the RSOC and the RPC within the next two
weeks.

- W3C Digital Publishing Interest Group
The RSE will be attending the W3C TPAC in Lisbon as an Invited Expert
within the Digital Publishing Interest Group (https://www.w3.org/dpub/).
The goal of this group is:

"The goal of the W3C Digital Publishing Activity is help make the Web a
platform for the digital publishing industry, and to build the necessary
bridges between the developers of the Open Web Platform and the
publishing industry."

This group recently published a First Public Working Draft of the
"Portable Web Publications Use Cases and Requirements"
(https://www.w3.org/TR/pwp-ucr/), for which the RSE was the main editor.


RPC Update
- SLA
See: https://www.rfc-editor.org/report-summary/
There have been a significant number of pages submitted so far in Q3,
342 of which are the v3 documentation.  A couple of editors are
currently processing the format-related documents.  We expect these to
move AUTH48 within the next few weeks.

Stats & Metrics: The RPC has deployed the code John Levine provided per
the RFC Editor’s Statistics and Reporting project.  The current code
uses a more accurate algorithm for counting PGTE (pages to EDIT); this
change results in the RPC having missed the SLA for Q1 2016.  Note that,
previously, the RPC’s stats machinery was focused on monthly document
counts; PGTE was informative and was not part of the SLA equation.

See https://www.rfc-editor.org/report-summary/

Digital Signatures: The RPC is reviewing the draft operating procedures
the RSE sent regarding the digital signatures process. The team is also
discussing how this impacts the publication process.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

Heather Flanagan added that the RSOC has responded to a query from the IAB on behalf of the IAOC with regards to RPC staffing.

3. Future Tech Plenaries

The IAB reviewed the list of possible future tech plenary topics. The Plenary Planning Program will propose an option for Seoul.

4. IPv6 Liaison statement

Erik Nordmark will update the text of the IPv6 liaison statement based on the comments received and send it out to the IAB for review.

5. IANA IPR License Agreement for IANA Protocol Parameter Services

The IAB voted in favor of asking the IAOC to sign the IANA IPR License Agreement for IANA Protocol Parameter Services on behalf of the IETF. Andrew Sullivan will follow up with the IAOC.

6. Appoint members to the IANA IPR customer committee

The IAB agreed to appoint Alissa Cooper, Ted Hardie, and Russ Housley to the IANA IPR customer committee as an interim measure. Andrew Sullivan will draft a note to the IETF community that explains this.

7. IANA Customer Feedback Survey

The IAB discussed the IANA Customer Feedback Survey and whether the feedback would be more useful coming from the IAB as a whole, or from individual IAB members. Michelle Cotton will ask whether the survey can be sent to individual IAB members.

8. draft-iab-rzerc

The IAB agreed to send draft-iab-rzerc out for community review, pending edits to the text to be made by Cindy Morgan.

9. Executive Session: ICANN NomCom Appointment

In an executive session, the IAB agreed to reappoint Tim Wicinski to the ICANN NomCom. Lee Howard will follow up with Tim, and Cindy Morgan will send an announcement.

10. Executive Session: IAOC Appointment

The IAB appointment to the IAOC was discussed in an executive session.

11. Executive Session: ISE Search and RSE Search

The ISE and RSE searches were briefly discussed in an executive session.