Internet Architecture Board

RFC2850

IAB Minutes 2016-10-26

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2016»IAB Minutes 2016-10-26

Minutes of the 2016-10-26 IAB Teleconference (Tech Chat & Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

Present:
  • Jari Arkko (IETF Chair)
  • Michelle Cotton
  • Ralph Droms
  • Lars Eggert (IRTF Chair)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Russ Housley
  • Lee Howard
  • Suresh Krishnan (IESG Liaison)
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Jonne Soininen
  • Andrew Sullivan (IAB Chair) (present from item 7 on)
  • Dave Thaler
  • Brian Trammell
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
  • Suzanne Woolf
Regrets:
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Martin Thomsom
  • Robert Sparks
Guests:
  • Greg Wood
  • Niels ten Oever

1.2. Administrivia

An executive session on the ISE appointment was added to the end of the agenda.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 28 September 2016 and the 5 October 2016 meetings were approved. The minutes of the 12 October 2016 meeting remain under review.

1.4. Action Item Review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
13 October 2016

Topics:

I. IANA Transition
II. Intercommunity 2016
III. Internet Inclusion: Advancing Solutions
IV. ITU Council Working Groups
V. ITU World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly, 2016
VI. The Global Standards Symposium (GSS)

I. IANA Transition
The IANA Stewardship Transition was successfully completed on October 1,
2016 with the expiration of the contract between the US government and
ICANN. Even though the transition eventually became embroiled in US
politics, the Internet community managed to stand firm and complete a
successful transition. The role of the Internet Society has been
significant, including: an OpEd and letter to Congressional staff by
ISOC CEO and President, Kathy Brown; a social media and advertising
campaign promoting the hashtag #yestoIANA; and submission of an amicus
brief to the lawsuit trying to prevent the transition. See
<https://www.internetsociety.org/ianaxfer> for more detail.

II. Intercommunity 2016
ISOC convened more than 2,600 Internet Society members from 160
countries over 24 hours on September 21st for InterCommunity 2016.
Participants joined online and in-person at one of 5 interactive node
locations. For more details of the event see:
<http://icomm16.internetsociety.org>

III. Internet Inclusion: Advancing Solutions
ISOC, together with the World Bank and IEEE, organized a successful
event in Washington DC on October 5-6, titled Internet Inclusion:
Advancing Solutions. In the format of a multi-stakeholder workshop, the
purpose of the event was to discuss network technical, regulation and
build-out acceleration options for connecting the next billion, with a
focus on exploration of associated challenges and real-world solutions.

IV. ITU Council Working Groups
The ITU’s Council Working Groups (CWGs) will convene in Geneva, October
10-14. The Internet Society participates in the discussions as a Sector
Member to the ITU, and will present the recently published “Policy
framework for enabling Internet access” as a contribution to the open
consultations to the working group on International Internet-related
public policy issues. Other items on the week's agenda include the
Council Working Group on Child Online Protection, the periodical
stocktaking of WSIS implementation and open consultations in preparation
for the 2017 WSIS Forum.

V. ITU World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly, 2016
As a sector member of the ITU the Internet Society (ISOC) will be
participating at the ITU World Standardization Telecommunication
Assembly (WTSA-16) in Tunisia on October 25 to November 3, 2016. Held
every four years, WTSA is the key meeting for the ITU Standardization
Telecommunication Sector (ITU-T) where recommendations (standards) and
resolutions (agreements) are approved, study groups reorganized and the
work program for the next four-year period will be defined.

WTSA-16 is expected to be less contentious than the previous WTSA with
less focus on the technical and operational aspects of IP networks.
However, there will be efforts to strengthen the ITU’s role in the
economic and regulatory impact of Internet services and applications
including cloud computing. Cybersecurity will be a key issue discussed
particularly as the ITU shifts its focus to the Internet of Things and
Smart Cities (SG20). Governments will use the outcomes of the WSIS+10
review to strengthen the existing security activities including security
of IoT, and there will be renewed efforts to increase the ITU’s role in
areas beyond its mandate such as the analytics of big data, data
protection, cloud computing, and mobile edge services. The Digital
Object Architecture (DOA) will be another hot topic debated as
governments consider whether to implement the handle system as a key
identifier technology for IoT.

ISOC’s goal at WTSA is to ensure that delegations are well-informed on
topics and strategies related to the Internet’s development; raise
awareness on the importance of a sustainable open Internet model as
governments consider the deployment of new technologies; that ITU
members continue to foster multistakeholder dialogue on any policy
discussions that occur on the operational aspects of the Internet; and
that the ITU continues to cooperate and collaborate with standards
development organizations in order to avoid duplications and overlap.

WTSA 2016 proposals are open to the public and available here:
<http://www.itu.int/md/T13-WTSA.16/new/en>

ISOC’s WTSA 2016 Background Paper is available here:
<https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/public-policy/2016/05/new- 
background-paper-itu-world-telecommunication-standardization-assembly>

VI. The Global Standards Symposium (GSS)
The ITU will host the third Global Standards Symposium (GSS) the day
prior to WTSA on October 24 in Yasmine Hammamet, Tunisia. The event is
open to ministers, regulators, experts and standards development
organizations (SDOs). The focus at GSS will be on security and privacy
with a specific session for SDOs to share perspectives on security and
privacy challenges. There is an opportunity for IETF experts to speak at
the GSS and to highlight the security work that is ongoing in the IETF.
ISOC sees this as an important opportunity to provide both an overview
of the IAB Privacy and Security program as well as an overview of the
IETF security work more generally and to lay down some markers to avoid
duplication of work down the line. The outcomes of the GSS will be read
in the first plenary session of the WTSA. With ITU’s increased focus on
the Internet of Things (IoT) and the security of IoT, it will be
imperative that a clear message come directly from the SDO community
that the ITU strengthen its coordination and collaboration with SDOs.

The GSS agenda is located here: <http://www.wtsa16.tn/GSS.html>

--End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford--

2.2. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

* ANRP 2017 nomination period ending Nov 6

* T2TRG had an interim Sep 24-25: https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/
interim-2016-t2trg-04/minutes/minutes-interim-2016-
t2trg-04-201609241000-00

* ICNRG had an interim Sep 29: https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/
interim-2016-icnrg-08/session/icnrg

* GAIA is organizing a workshop on development of local networking 
infrastructures using cooperative & open-access management scheme: 

http://dsg.ac.upc.edu/gaia-cn-ws

* ANRW 2017 planned for Prague; Renata Teixeira and Jörg Ott are TPC 
chairs: https://irtf.org/anrw/2017/

* CFRG Review Panel kicked off (members: Scott Fluhrer, Pierre-Alain 
Fouque, Russ Housley, Tibor Jager, Yaron Sheffer, Stanislav Smyshlyaev, 
Bjoern Tackmann); some RG commentary about the lack of diversity ensued, 
but nominations were very non-diverse to begin with

–End IRTF Chair Report, Lars Eggert–

2.3. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

I.  Public Comments needing attention (only highlights)
=======================================================
(All public comment processes: 

https://www.icann.org/public-comments#open-public)

Proposal for Georgian Script Root Zone Label Generation Rules 
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/georgian-lgr-2016-09-15-en)
End: October 28th, 2016

Proposal for Lao Script Root Zone Label Generation Rules (LGR) 
(https://www.icann.org/public-comments/lao-lgr-2016-10-24-en)
End: December 10th, 2016

II.  Upcoming topics that could be relevant
===========================================

IANA stewardship transition
---------------------------

This is of course no news anymore at this point, but the transition did 
happen. Now ICANN is officially in the post transition state. Though, 
the transition is now done the processes that were started to prepare 
for the transition still continue. Particularly, the Cross Community 
Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability is continuing with its 
Work Stream 2.


III.  (If relevant) upcoming meeting topics of importance
=========================================================

ICANN#57,Hyderabad November 3-9, 2016

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Jonne Soininen–

2.4. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Services Liaison Report – 26 October 2016
 
SLA Deliverables Update:
- ICANN met 100% of processing goal times for the September 2016 monthly 
statistics reports, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing 
goal times.  These times include the steps that ICANN has control over 
and not time it is waiting on requesters, document authors or other 
experts.
  
- The 2017 Supplemental Agreement is currently being drafted and will be 
reviewed by ICANN and IPROC in the coming weeks. Whereas ICANN has a 
sub-contract with PTI for performance of the protocol parameter 
function, the Supplemental Agreement will be between ICANN and the IETF.
 
Other News:
- The report based on the 2016 Customer Satisfaction Survey for the IANA 
Services is being drafted and will be available in December 2016.
 
- IAB recently confirmed a request for name server changes to .arpa.  
This request hasbeen completed.
 
-   With the expiration of the NTIA IANA Functions contract on September 
30, 2016, the condition precedent language in agreements between ICANN 
and IETF, RIRs, and IETF Trust are now in place. ICANN filed the papers 
to incorporate the affiliate Public Technical Identifiers (PTI) in 
August 2016 and going forward, PTI will be reporting to both IPROC and 
ICANN on its performance of the IANA Protocol Parameters Function on a 
monthly basis.

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

2.5. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RFC Series Editor

- Format update
The various format drafts are all in RFC-EDITOR state, the last editing
state before AUTH48. The documents are being treated as a cluster; a
link to the cluster is here:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/cluster_info.php?cid=C294

The RFP for the format tools was approved to go out to bid by the IAOC
On September 20. The deadline for bidder questions was September 28; no
questions have been received. The RFP is scheduled to close on October 17.

The RFP for the CSS formally closed on September 9 and the bid awarded
to Spherical Cow Group. The IAOC and the Tools Management Committee were
made aware prior to the RFP being awarded of a conflict of interest on
the part Heather Flanagan, who holds some contracts (though not the RSE
contract) through SCG.

- Digital Signatures for RFCs
The Operating Manual has been revised and is out for review by Russ
Housley and the RPC. A webpage that offers instructions to the community
on how to verify a signature is in progress and will be out for review
this week. An FAQ has already been developed, and will be updated as the
last step once all other details have been sorted out.

- Digital Preservation
The technical work has been completed to allow the National Library of
Sweden to begin ingesting copies of RFCs into their digital repository.
Heather Flanagan (RSE), Greg Wood (ISOC), and Anette Lindh (National
Library of Sweden), are working on a press release to announce the
partnership.


RPC Update
- SLA
See: https://www.rfc-editor.org/report-summary/
The RPC has met the SLA for Tier 2 for 2016 Q3. See the reports page for
details on each SLA Tier.

- Digital Signatures: The RPC is reviewing the draft operating
procedures the RSE sent regarding the digital signatures process. The
team is also discussing how this impacts the publication process.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

3. IPv6 Liaison statement

Lee Howard will send the clean version of the IPv6 statement out to
the IAB for final review. Greg Wood will draft an outreach plan for
the IPv6 statement and send it to the IAB for review.

4. IAB Schedule at IETF 97

The IAB briefly reviewed their schedule for IETF 97. Dave Thaler asked that draft-iab-protocol-transitions be added to the agenda. Suzanne Woolf noted that some of the joint time with the IESG should be used to discuss the HOMENET .home situation.

Lars Eggert will start a thread about which IRTF RG to review on Thursday morning.

Cindy Morgan noted that unused IAB business meeting time could be used to interview candidates for the IAB-appointed position on the IAOC. Brian Trammell agreed to lead the interviews for the IAOC candidates.

5. BOF and PRG Coverage at IETF 97

The IAB discussed coverage of BOFs and Proposed RGs at IETF 97:

  • BANANA: Brian Trammell is one of the co-chairs. Ted Hardie and Suzanne Woolf will cover the BOF.
  • DNSBUNDLED: Andrew Sullivan and Suzanne Woolf will cover the BOF.
  • NMLRG: Lee Howard will cover the Proposed Research Group.

6. Potential IAB workshop on “Low Latency Services over WAN”

Discussion of the potential workshop on Low Latency Services over WAN was deferred to email.

7. Tech Chat: Human Rights Protocol Considerations

Niels ten Oever spoke to the IAB about human rights considerations in protocol designs. Andrew Sullivan observed that the IETF has historically considered the technology to be value-neutral; the value is charged with what is done with the technology.

Niels ten Oever countered that RFC 3935, “A Mission Statement for the IETF,” declares that, “The Internet isn’t value-neutral, and neither is the IETF.” There are human rights issues, and if the technical community wants to keep control of the Internet, it is in their best interest to be the ones who come up with the solutions. From an IETF perspective, the problem is, how do we measure and understand the impact the IETF has on human rights?

The IAB agreed that this might be an interesting plenary topic for IETF 98. Brian Trammell agreed to reach out to an additional potential speaker to see if he would be available to give another viewpoint to the Human Rights Protocol Considerations (HRPC) Research Group.

Niels ten Oever noted that the HRPC document draft-irtf-hrpc-research, “Research into Human Rights Protocol Considerations,” will be going to RG Last Call soon and would benefit from additional review. After a brief discussion, Niels agreed to put together a slide on the document for Lars Eggert to include in his IRTF Chair report at IETF 97.

8. Future Tech Plenaries

The IAB discussed a technical topic for IETF 97 that touches on the recent DDoS attacks against Dyn and the flaws this exposes in the Internet architecture.

The IAB will further refine the description of this plenary topic on the mailing list.

9. Executive Session: ISO Standards

Discussion of this topic was deferred to the next IAB teleconference.

10. Executive Session: ISE Appointment

Cindy Morgan will follow up with the IAB about the ISE appointment via email.