Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2017-04-12

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2017»IAB Minutes 2017-04-12

Minutes of the 2017-04-12 IAB Teleconference (Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

  • Jari Arkko
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Michelle Cotton (IANA Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie (IAB Chair)
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Allison Mankin (IRTF Chair)
  • Gabriel Montenegro
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Kathleen Moriarty (IESG Liaison)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Mark Nottingham
  • Robert Sparks
  • Jeff Tantsura
  • Suzanne Woolf
  • Amy Vezza
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Lee Howard
  • Jonne Soininen
  • Martin Thomson
  • Brian Trammell

1.2. Administrivia

Items on the the Workshop at WSIS Forum and the ETSI 5G Summit were added to the agenda.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The following minutes remain under review:

  • 8 March 2017 Business Meeting
  • 15 March 2017 Business Meeting
  • 26 March 2017 Business Meeting
  • 29 March 2017 Business Meeting
  • 30 March 2017 Business Meeting

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
10 April 2017


  I. G20 Digital Minister's Conference
 II. Internet Society: Tech Fellows to IETF 10 Year Review
III. RightsCon 2017
 IV. Small Island Developing States Paper available for comment
  V. Call for IGF Workshop Proposals
 VI. South Summer School on Internet Governance
VII. Russian Internet Governance Forum
VIII. Inter-American Telecommunication Commission
 IX. Cooperation and Development Network Eastern Europe Seminar
  X. CAREN Regional Networking Conference
 XI. 10th APT Policy and Regulatory Forum on the Pacific

I. G20 Digital Minister's Conference
As part of its G20 presidency, Germany organized a multistakeholder 
conference on "Digitilisation: Policies for a Digital Future" to 
facilitate a dialogue between ministers responsible for digital agendas 
and other stakeholders. ISOC's CEO Kathy Brown participated as a 
panelist to discuss confidence in the digital world [1].


II. Internet Society: Tech Fellows to IETF 10 Year Review
Toral Cowieson presented a 10-year review of the Internet Society “Tech 
Fellows to IETF” program to the IESG during IETF 98 in Chicago. This was 
to inform the IESG of the program history, outcomes, and next steps. A 
request is now out to the IESG to see if there is follow-up interest for 
an IESG member to participate on the program selection committee or the 
small design team to refine the process and strengthen the program 

III. RightsCon 2017
At Rightscon 2017, ISOC advocated reducing government-mandated Internet 
access restrictions, in particular Internet shutdowns and Internet 
content blocking. ISOC announced it had joined the Keep It On [2] 
campaign and released a new paper on Internet Content Blocking [3]. ISOC 
also organized a session on Internet Futures, stimulating the project 
with community input on the impact of future Internet developments on 
online freedoms and rights.


IV. Small Island Developing States Paper available for comment
This report focuses on the importance of Internet development and the 
unique issues faced by Small Island Developing States. The report is 
available [4], and comments are due by 20 April 2017.


V. Call for IGF Workshop Proposals
The new requirements and guidelines for the IGF Workshop proposals are 
now online. Submissions will be accepted until 3 May. The upcoming 
global IGF is confirmed to be held in Geneva, from 18-21 December, under 
the title: "Shape your digital future!" All stakeholders are invited to 
submit proposals, and new workshop organizers and developing countries 
are especially encouraged to participate. More information is available 


VI. South Summer School on Internet Governance (SSIG)
The ninth SSIG was held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 3 to 7 April. 
ISOC has been a long-time supporter and active participant in this 
initiative which trains new leaders in all aspects of Internet 
Governance with global and regional perspectives. More information is 
available [6].


VII. Russian Internet Governance Forum
The 8th Russian IGF featured sessions on information security, regional 
aspects of Internet governance, international cooperation and 
technological innovations. Maarit Palovirta from the ISOC European 
Regional Bureau spoke at a panel on cybersecurity.

VIII. Inter-American Telecommunication Commission
The main focus of the CITEL CCP1 will be the Inter-American proposals 
for the upcoming ITU WTDC-17. Surrounding events: Workshop on Digital 
Inclusion and Meaningful Broadband in the Americas (17 April) and 
Seminar on Telecommunication Services and their impact on Privacy 
Protection (18 April). ISOC's LAC Bureau will be attending. More 
information is available [7].


IX. Cooperation and Development Network Eastern Europe Seminar
The seminar will gather 40 young people from across Europe to discuss 
digital security, Internet policy, surveillance and challenges of 
digitilisation. Frederic Donck from the ISOC European Regional Bureau 
will participate and speak on trust, privacy and security.

X. CAREN Regional Networking Conference (CRNC)
The CRNC brings together academics, scientists, policy makers, ICT 
specialists and industry representatives that have a common interest in 
the advancement of ICT services for research and higher education across 
the Central Asian region. The Internet Society will organise a panel 
discussion on Internet Exchange Points (IXP) in Central Asia and a one-
day IXP workshop with the Kyrgyz community.

XI. 10th APT Policy and Regulatory Forum on the Pacific
The Forum provides an opportunity for the top policy makers and 
regulators to share information, best practices and experiences for the 
common benefit of the members in the Pacific region. ISOC will attend 
and present a policy framework for a trusted Internet.

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

2.2. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Allison Mankin–

RG News:

Seven of the current ten RGs met at IETF 98.  The RGs are using remote 
presentation very successfully now, and as we discussed, the T2TRG's 
small group experiment looked very productive.

Of those groups, NFVRG had a problematic agenda (inducing all in the 
room including the chairs to read email), and they are on notice that 
they will have only 1 hour at IETF99, and that it had best have focus.

Thank you to the IAB for the RG review of ICNRG - the RG chairs have 
asked that we not schedule them for plenary presentation in the near 
future, but they are interested in having an open tutorial session to 
extend awareness of their work at the next IETF.

The groups that didn't meet at IETF98 were CFRG, NWCRG, and GAIA.

CFRG is holding a short interim meeting collocated with Eurocrypt 2017 
in Paris, April 30.  It is free to attend without attending Eurocrypt.

NWCRG is regrouping due to focus problems similar to NFVRG - will update 
in future on this.

Mat Ford has stepped away from co-chairing GAIA, and we have a new co-
chair, also from ISOC, Jane Coffin.  

Other News:

ANRW final submission deadline is 4/13 (it was extended).

–End IRTF Chair Report, Allison Mankin–

2.3. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Services Liaison Report – 12 April 2017
SLA Deliverables Update:
- ICANN met 100% and 99% of processing goal times respectively for the 
  January 2017 and February 2017 monthly statistics report, exceeding 
  the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing goal times.  These times
  include the steps that ICANN has control over and not time it is 
  waiting on requesters, document authors or other experts.
- The annual review of processing protocol parameter related requests 
  has been completed.  The confidential SOC2 report, prepared by 
  Pricewaterhouse Cooper, was provided to the IETF Leadership.  The IETF 
  Leadership has prepared a statement of its review of the report for 
  posting on the IAOC website.  
- The 2017 Service Level Agreement between the IETF and ICANN has been 
  approved by the IAOC and has been signed by the relevant parties.
Other News:
- The FY19 budget planning process has begun and in the next month we 
  will be reaching out to our formal contacts within the IETF to collect 
  input on service enhancements and other potential deliverables.
- The Chicago IETF meeting was very productive.  Many IETF participants 
  visited the IANA Services office hours desk to discuss requests in 
  their Internet-Drafts.  We continue to see more inquiries from authors 
  when preparing their documents to make sure the IANA Considerations 
  section has clear instructions instead of waiting until IETF Last 
  IANA Services Operator and IETF Leadership Meeting Minutes:
  An informal meeting was held at the Chicago IETF meeting.  Meeting 
  minutes will be reported at the next IAB Business Meeting.

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

2.4. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RFC Series Editor Update

- Format
A wiki that tracks, at a high level, the efforts to develop the new
format tools is now available:

So far, everything is progressing as expected. A number of tickets have
been submitted against various drafts in the RFC Format github
repository ( that are in the process of
being reviewed to determine what items will result in potential code
changes as the developers work on the tools.

- Style Guide
A -00 draft has been posted
( and was
discussed with various groups, including the RSAG, the RSOC, and the
Independent Submissions Editorial Board, during IETF 98. No significant
concerns with the additions the style guide were raised; there was
significant support for the change to add stream information in the
references for RFCs.

RPC Update
- SLA was met at Tier 2
From the SLA report:
"Q1 2017: We experienced the typical Q1 surge in document submissions
associated with the March changeover in the IESG. The RPC published the
largest number of pages in a given quarter within the last two years.

Authors have been highly responsive, allowing a number of documents to
progress out of AUTH48 and AUTH48-DONE. This allowed a number of
documents to clear the last AUTH48 hurdles and be announced as RFCs.

The editors dealt with a complicated AUTH48 for portions of Cluster 238,
as reference chains were not strictly dependent on normative references,
but informative also (per author request). So far this year, 36% of the
published RFCs have been part of a cluster."

- RFCs and Non-ASCII Characters
The RPC is using the opportunity presented by
draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc5987bis, a document approved by the IESG and
currently in the RFC Editor queue, to work through identifying what
issues exist at the operating system level with regards to editing
documents with non-ASCII characters. Identifying the changes needed at
the OS level can happen independently of any new format tools being

- IETF98 wrap-up
The RPC team enjoyed meeting with the community.  Some were first- or
second-time attendees that now have a better understanding of who/what
they are working for.  There was a steady flow of visitors during office
hours throughout the week.

The group took advantage of the face-to-face time to get a better
understanding of how GitHub works, given the level of interest in the
community to use GitHub (or something like it) as a tool. Paul Hoffman
graciously agreed to provide an overview for the RPC team.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

3. Future Tech Plenaries

Allison Mankin reported that the Plenary Planning Program is planning a topic on GAIA for IETF 99, with one speaker confirmed. Mat Ford suggested a possible additional speaker; Allison will follow up on the Program mailing list.

4. IAB Comments on Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) Implementation Guidelines

Suzanne Woolf sent proposed text for the IAB comments on the IDN Implementation Guidelines out to the IAB list; discussions will continue on the list. The deadline to submit comments is 2 May 2017.

Ted Hardie asked if anyone else had already submitted comments. Suzanne Woolf will find out and report back to the IAB.

5. 2017 Retreat

The IAB agreed to run the IAB retreat from 1030-1930 Montreal time to allow Mark Nottingham to participate in some of the discussions remotely. Alissa Cooper will check with the IESG to see if they are willing to run the joint IAB/IESG day on the same schedule.

5.1. IAB-only time

The IAB discussed several potential topics for the retreat agenda. Those who made proposals will write up a brief description of their topic to help scope the discussions and send it to the IAB by 19 April 2017.

5.2. Joint time with IESG

Robert Sparks suggested that the IAB and IESG discuss BOFs versus side meetings, noting that the IESG already has this topic listed for the IESG-only portion of the retreat.

Robert Sparks asked if another session about the relationships between IAB Programs, Working Groups, and Research Groups would be helpful. Gabriel Montenegro suggested that adding Directorates to that list might be useful.

6. MSP Standardization liaison relationship

Gabriel Montenegro tentatively agreed to be the liaison shepherd for the Multi Stake Holder Platform on ICT Standardization. The IAB will confirm this either by email or at the next IAB business meeting.

7. Workshop at WSIS Forum

Alissa Cooper reported that she has been invited to speak at a workshop being organized by Article 19 at the upcoming WSIS Forum. Alissa will not be able to attend, but the organizers expressed an interest in having someone else from the IETF leadership speak instead. Ted Hardie will take over from Alissa as the point of contact on this, and the IAB will discuss it further to try to find the right speaker.

8. ETSI 5G Summit Report

Jari Arkko reported that he and Jeff Tantsura attended the recent ETSI Summit on 5G Network Infrastructure. The 3GPP’s work on 5G is getting more concrete; Jari has a call next week with one of the 3GPP’s chairs to discuss the current state of the work. Jari will report back to the IAB after that meeting.