Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2017-12-13

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2017»IAB Minutes 2017-12-13

Minutes of the 2017-12-13 IAB Teleconference (Tech Chat & Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

  • Jari Arkko
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Michelle Cotton (IANA Liaison)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie (IAB Chair)
  • Lee Howard
  • Allison Mankin (IRTF Chair)
  • Gabriel Montenegro
  • Kathleen Moriarty (IESG Liaison)
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Mark Nottingham
  • Robert Sparks
  • Jeff Tantsura
  • Martin Thomson
  • Brian Trammell
  • Amy Vezza
  • Suzanne Woolf
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Jane Coffin
    Arjuna Sathiaseelan

2. Tech Chat: Global Access to the Internet for All (GAIA)

Jane Coffin and Arjuna Sathiaseelan joined the IAB to talk about some of the technical and architectural issues around GAIA.

Arjuna Sathiaseelan noted that the GAIA Research Group was chartered in 2014, and has over 400 members. Their goal is to bring together the practitioners, researchers, corporations, non governmental and governmental organizations that are working on the challenges in enabling global Internet access.

Lee Howard asked what the definition of a “community network” is. Jane Coffin replied that it is a community-run, community-built, and community-led network. It can mesh fiber, wifi, and TV white space spectrums. Community networks are organized by local people in collaboration and may not use the same access technologies that commercial networks do. They are not meant to complete with things like GSM, but to be complementary, bottom-up solutions.

Jane Coffin reported that GAIA’s outreach has included has worked with RIPE NCC to deploy their Atlas probes. They are also looking at routing patterns trace routes, and how traffic has increased in certain countries. There is some interest from the University of Washington on an open cellular solution for 2G networks in developing nations.

Brian Trammell noted that there are a lot of potentially interesting plenary talks that could come out of GAIA, and asked if there are people in the community who would make good speakers. Jane Coffin replied that there are several spectrum experts, and Arjuna Sathiaseelan added that they have people looking at the measurement of traditional access in Africa and how it can be optimized in different ways.

3. Monthly Reports

3.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
11 December 2017


 I. Policy papers
	Online Trust Alliance Email Marketing Best Practices & 
Unsubscribe Report
	APAC Issue Papers

II. Upcoming engagements
	"Do we still trust the Internet?" Panel discussion with Chatham 
	Africa Internet Governance Forum
	The Internet Governance Forum

III. Highlights of recent activities
	IETF 100 Tech Fellows Program
	1st AP-IS Steering Committee Session
	Indigenous Connectivity Summit & Training
	ISOC Online Privacy Workshop
	Europe Regional Internet and Development Dialogue
	Namibia ISOC Chapter launch
	1st Bolivian IGF
	Trust & the Digital Economy Conference
	African Union Second Ordinary Session of the Specialized 
Technical Committee on Communication and ICT
	Global Conference on Cyberspace
	Afrinic 27
	Asia Internet Symposium
	Expert Group Meeting: Understanding the potential of Blockchain 
technology in Africa
	Blogpost on Net Neutrality
	Internet Stakeholders Meeting, Myanmar
	Field visit to Zimbabwe – Community Networks
	Community Network (CN) and Internet exchange point (IXP) Development

I. Policy papers

Online Trust Alliance Email Marketing Best Practices & Unsubscribe 
The Online Trust Alliance's fourth annual Email Marketing Best Practices 
& Unsubscribe Report was released (press release [1], report [2]). The 
report looks at the overall trust associated with retailer email – can 
you trust who it’s from (email authentication), and can you trust 
they’ll honor your wishes (email marketing and unsubscribe practices)? 
The OTA will hold a webinar on Wednesday, December 13 at 1 p.m. EST. to 
review findings from the report. Register [3].


APAC Issue Papers
During the Global Conference for Cyberspace the APAC Bureau launched six 
regional issue papers on the following topics:
Social Media:
Local and Localised Content:
Climate Change:
Digital Safety for Children & Youth:
Internet of Things:
Mobile Internet:

II. Upcoming engagements

"Do we still trust the Internet?" Panel discussion together with Chatham 
House - December 14,  London, UK
Participants will discuss the trend towards ‘securitization’ of the 
Internet, its implications and how to strengthen trust in the internet. 
More information:

Africa Internet Governance Forum, Cairo, Egypt (4-6 December)
The African Union will host the Africa Internet Governance Forum from 
the 4th to 6th  of December 2017 in Cairo, Egypt. ISOC is part of the 
content development committee for this event. The topical sessions on 
the agenda include; Connecting the next billion focusing on Community 
Networks, IXPs and the AXIS project, Cybersecurity.

The Internet Governance Forum (IGF) - December 18-21, Geneva, 
This year IGF will be on the theme, Shape Your Digital Future! The 'Day 
0' Pre-Events will be held at the Centre International de Conférences 
Genève on Sunday 17 December 2017. Stay tuned with ISOC activities here:

III. Highlights of recent events

IETF 100 Tech Fellows Program
The Tech Fellows Program for IETF 100 brought 14 Fellows to Singapore 
from 13 countries, including Argentina, Bhutan, Brazil, Colombia, India, 
Jordan, Mexico, Pakistan, Philippines, Tanzania, Uganda, United Arab 
Emirates, and Zimbabwe.

Several Fellows presented/participated in working groups or other activities:

- Alisha Gurung (Bhutan) is working with IETF participants who are 
helping her to sign the .bt DNS zone in her country.
- Isabel Odida (Uganda) is currently reviewing a proposal for the DNSOPS 
working group with mentorship from Tim Wicinski and Suzanne Woolf.
- Luis Martinez (Mexico) presented to the GAIA research group on his 
work in community wireless networks.
- Muhammad Sajjad Akbar (Pakistan) and Rao Naveed Bin Rais (United Arab 
Emirates) presented a draft they are co-authoring to the 6lo working 
- Fernando Gont (Argentina) is working on several drafts which he 
discussed with various working groups to advance.

Inputs have been received from members of the IETF Fellowship Refinement 
Task Force. The final recommendations are being fine-tuned and will be 
presented to ISOC management shortly.

1st AP-IS Steering Committee Session, Dhaka, Bangladesh
The Asia-Pacific Information Superhighway Steering Committee session, 
which follows a working group preparatory meeting on 31 Oct. discussed 
the operationalisation of the AP-IS master plan. The APAC Bureau 
submitted organisational input that details its initiatives as relevant 
to the four pillars of the AP-IS.

Indigenous Connectivity Summit & Training, Santa Fe, New Mexico
As part of ISOC's 2017 community networking activities, ISOC's North 
American bureau organized the first Indigenous Connectivity Summit and 
training event to train experts and discuss key issues, barriers, and 
experience in building community connectivity specifically in and with 
indigenous communities.

ISOC Online Privacy Workshop, Hong Kong
The APAC Bureau and the Hong Kong Chapter organised the 3rd in the APAC 
Bureau's ongoing Online Privacy Workshop series for 2017, "EU GDPR: Hong 
Kong's Road to Compliance".  The 1-day workshop, which had over 80 
participants, was conducted to help local organisations comply with the 
new EU General Data Protection Rules.

Europe Regional Internet and Development Dialogue
This conference is part of a global series of Internet development 
conferences organized by the Internet Society to further the United 
Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) that aim at tackling the 
world's main development challenges by 2030. Previous Regional Internet 
Development Dialogues have been held in Asia Pacific, Latin America & 
Caribbean, and Africa.  The European RIDD is in partnership with Centre 
for European Policy Studies (CEPS) and European Committee of the 

Namibia ISOC Chapter launch, Windhoek, Namibia
The new Namibian Internet Society chapter was officially launched on the 
15th of November. The launch event was attended by 109 participants and 
was officiated by the Minister of ICT, Honourable Tjekero Tweya, and 
members of the parliamentary committee on ICTs. The Namibian Chapter 
becomes the fifth Chapter to be established in the Southern African 
Development Community (SADC) region which includes a total of 15 
countries. Namibia becomes the 32nd ISOC Chapter in Africa.

1st Bolivian IGF
This national event was organized by the ISOC Bolivia Chapter, in La 
Paz, including two days of debates and exchanges of experiences. More 
information at:

Trust & the Digital Economy Conference, Singapore
To cap off its Online Privacy Workshop series held this year in Vanuatu, 
the Philippines, and Hong Kong, the APAC Bureau organised a regional 
event for experts to deliberate on issues around building trust in the 
digital economy.

African Union Second Ordinary Session of the Specialized Technical 
Committee on Communication and ICT (STC CICT-2), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The African Ministers in charge of Communication and Information 
Technologies and Postal Services Conference met in Addis Ababa from 
20-24 November 2017 to discuss continental and regional programmes that 
impact Africans in the communications and ICT sectors. The African Union 
meeting included recommendations directly taken from the African 
Internet Infrastructure Security Guidelines developed in collaboration 
with ISOC in 2016. These include a request to “draft guidelines on 
Personal Data Protection” and setting up of the Africa Wide 
Cybersecurity Committee (AWCSC). ISOC also launched the new report on 
“Promoting the African Internet Economy” and announced a partnership 
with Netblocks. ISOC gave presentations on the economic impact of 
Internet Shutdowns, Personal Data Protection Best practices, and Cyber 
Insurance Best Practices. More information:

Global Conference on Cyberspace, Delhi, India
The 5th GCCS focused on 4 themes: Growth, Digital Inclusion, Security, 
and Diplomacy on cyberspace. The APAC Bureau organised a side event on 
Meaningful Access and Digital Opportunity. ISOC also took part in a 
panel on Reinforcing Trust in Cyberspace, organised a community get-
together, and several bilateral meetings.

Afrinic 27, Lagos, Nigeria
AFRINIC held the 27th in its series of stakeholder meetings, dubbed 
AFRINIC-27. ISOC sponsored the event, which was a follow-up to the 
African Internet Summit (AIS) 2017.

Asia Internet Symposium Vietnam
Partnering with the Vietnam Internet Association (VIA) and the Vietnam 
Internet Network Information Center (VNNIC), the APAC Bureau organised 
the first Asia Internet Symposium in Hanoi, Vietnam, on 26 October to 
tackle cybersecurity threats in the country.

Expert Group Meeting: Understanding the potential of Blockchain 
technology in Africa, 21 November 2017, UNECA, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 
United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), organized an 
expert group meeting on “Understanding the potential of blockchain 
technology in Africa”. The objective of the meeting was to assess the 
broad concepts, knowledge and practices of blockchain technologies in 
the context of their application in Africa through the provision of use 
case studies in the continent and to provide policy orientation for 
consideration by African policy and decision-makers. ISOC was 
represented on a panel to discuss the risks and opportunities of 
blockchain, distributed ledger and cryptocurrency technologies for 
Africa. Governments and Telcos are worried about how to regulate the 
resulting innovation; civil society expressed concerns about the 
environmental impact of cryptocurrency ”mining”, and the economic 
imbalance in favour of societies in which computing and energy resources 
are cheap. UNECA invited ISOC to send a copy of the forthcoming report 
on “Blockhain and Identity” for distribution to the participants. More 

Blogpost on Net Neutrality
ISOC's Regional Bureau Director for North America published a post 
related to the FCC's statement about their action to rollback their 
network neutrality order:
Key takeaways from this post:
1) While we didn’t like Title II, it is the case that it put SOME rules 
in place to protect users.  Now those are gone and replaced with a flimsy 
notion of transparency.  
2) The U.S. needs a sustainable approach that isn’t at the whim of the 
courts or Presidential elections.  
3) This isn’t the time to give up on our goals - we will continue to 
fight for the principles that make the Internet open.  

Internet Stakeholders Meeting, Myanmar
The APAC Bureau organised a meeting with stakeholders from civil 
society, academia, media and the private sector to discuss issues of 
relevance and opportunities for collaboration in Yangon, Myanmar on 27 

Field visit to Zimbabwe – Community Networks
ISOC African Bureau staff (ARB) met with one of the oldest community 
network teams in Africa - Muribinda Works. The objective was to assess 
the potential for wireless network development partnership and to engage 
key experts for future collaboration.  

Community Network (CN) and Internet exchange point (IXP) Development
ISOC staff have been working with a number of IXPs and CNs and have sent 
equipment to the following countries and/or held workshops to help 
develop CNs and IXPs. Switches and servers have been sent to the 
following countries for IXP development: Angola, Cote D’Ivoire, Ecuador, 
Gambia, Guatemala, Honduras, Kenya, Malawi, Pakistan, and Rwanda.  
Servers were sent to Mexico after the recent earthquake to assist with 
CN development.

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

3.2. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Allison Mankin–

Group Highlights
Decentralized InterNet (DINRG aka DINPRG) - 
Plans now set for a next meeting Feb 16, 2018, collocated with NDSS in 
San Diego.
ToDo: make sure they put out their meeting info in a broad announcement

Flagging one highlight about the IETF 100 activities, HRPC organized a 
hackathon group for a second time, and a good account of the results is 

Discussion during the meeting around a presentation about volunteers 
recovering the Internet after this year's Mexico City earthquake has 
focused the group's thought on a document that shares operations 
solutions for harsh conditions.  

Document Updates 
IESG conflict review draft-irtf-nmrg-autonomic-sla-violation-detection 
was completed, with no revision needed.  Sent to RFC Editor

Conflict review on draft-irtf-cfrg-xmss-hash-based-signatures was 
discussed because of an IANA Not OK state, and it will be on the agenda 
again in January.  IANA Registry was requested with Expert Review, and 
IESG as well as Michelle Cotton requested comment on who should appoint 
this Expert.  The IRTF Chair has opined that if IESG is willing, it is 
reasonable in this case for IESG to appoint the Expert Reviewer, because 
the proposed registry is applicable to future standards track documents 
as well as to future IRTF stream documents. Awaiting outcome of this 
IESG Management Item. 

IRTF Chair still has some reviewing backlog, but will be sending more 
conflict review requests - for ICNRG and NVTRG - before the end of the 

ANRP 2018 had nearly 60 submissions (most ever).  Because there are so 
many, the IRTF Chair pushed the response date back.  The review 
committee will meet in mid-December and responses will go out very 
rapidly thereafter.

The IRTF Chair understands that the Applied Network Research Workshop 
(ANRW) for 2018 has a green-light to run on Monday of the IETF week, as 
long as good effort is made to create tracks early on, so that Areas can 
try to schedule as few conflicts as possible with their tracks.  The 
goal is to have a higher rate of cross-over from workshop speakers/
attendees into the WG and RG meetings.  The IRTF and ACM are positioning 
ANRW to be an increasingly consequential workshop.

–End IRTF Chair Report, Allison Mankin–

3.3. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Services Liaison Report – 13 December 2017
SLA Deliverables Update:
- ICANN met 100% of processing goal times for the October 2017 and 
November 2017 monthly statistics reports, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 
90% of processing goal times.  These times include the steps that ICANN 
has control over and not time it is waiting on requesters, document 
authors or other experts.
- The draft 2018 SLA is currently being reviewed and will be submitted 
to the IAOC for approval in the new year.
Other News:
- Announcement of the new PTI President is expected within the next few 
- The public comment period for the Draft PTI and IANA FY19 Operating 
Plans and Budgets is closed and the staff report is due 13 December 
IANA Services Operator and IETF Leadership Meeting Minutes:
None to report

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

3.4. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RFC Series Editor Update

- Format
Work progresses on the format tools being developed by ElfTools
(Publication formatter, text submission, and idnits). The remaining
tools in the set (svgcheck, RFClint, and XML Diff) have been sent back
out to bid, and the Tools Management Committee along with the RSE will
be reviewing the bids in December 2017. This may introduce a delay to
the overall project, but exact timeline implications will be determined
after a new vendor is selected for those tools.


- Digital Preservation With datatracker release v6.67.0, the RSS feed
capabilities have been expanded to allow for query by year. This was
done to support the Computer History Museum's efforts to take an annual
data dump of RFCs published in a given year. Many thanks to Robert
Sparks for this work.


RPC Update


The RPC is expecting a significant increase in submissions in the coming
quarter due to the following:

- outgoing ADs will be clearing their the plates
- expecting much of C238 to enter the queue (currently includes 20 docs
to be processed)
- expecting an expedited request for draft-wu-l3sm-rfc8049bis (185 pages) 
  (expected to be approved this week)

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

4. TC46 Liaison

Heather Flanagan reported that she spoke with Todd Carpenter about the IETF liaison with ISO TC46 in regards to fast-tracking RFC 8141 as an ISO standard. It turns out that the TC46 subcommittee SC9 is the group that the liaison relationship is needed with; in ISO, subcommittees do not inherit the liaison rights from their parent groups.

Ted Hardie will add a management item to the next IESG teleconference to confirm that the IESG is okay with creating a liaison relationship with ISOC TC46 subcommittee SC9 in order to fast track RFC 8141 as an ISO standard.

5. Future Tech Plenaries

Brian Trammell will follow up with Jane Coffin and Arjuna Sathiaseelan regarding potential speakers for IETF 101 plenary.

6. Choke Points

Mark Nottingham reported that he and Brian Trammell have started work on draft-iab-chokepoints, but the document has not yet been posted to the I-D repository. They hope to flesh the document out a bit more before posting the -00 version.

Jari Arkko noted that he had forked the draft in GitHub to start working on text about Internet consolidation.

7. IAB Next Steps on Consolidation

Jari Arkko said that he thinks the next step for the IAB on Internet consolidation is to have someone write something up for the IAB to discuss further.

Lee Howard asked if the IAB had enough information yet to do something useful (e.g. a document, workshop, or technical plenary).

Jari Arkko replied that the IAB needs to get its own thinking straightened out before a useful plenary topic could be proposed.

Jari Arkko agreed to draft text for a problem statement on Internet consolidation.

8. MaRNEW Next Steps

Brian Trammell reported that the IP Stack Evolution Program had discussed another potential workshop on Manageability of Encrypted Traffic (MoET). The Program sent the proposal to the Privacy and Security Program, which noted that the proposed workshop looked like it would parallel work already happening in the TLS Working Group.

In the ensuing discussions, the IP Stack Evolution Program identified two goals:

  1. To give output about changes coming to the architecture
  2. To receive input about the technical aspects of management that are being done in these networks.

The IAB noted that narrowing this to specific use cases might be more productive than trying to have one unifying theory.

Lee Howard noted that different conversations would provide different contexts, and it would be helpful to have operators involved in the discussions. He added that NANOG will happen in late February in Atlanta, and that might provide an opportunity for some folks from IETF and NANOG to have a conversation.

Ted Hardie observed that the critical piece is that the conversation is not one-sided. He suggested that the IAB might want to spend some time with the IESG talking about whether there is some systemic method for bringing this kind of feedback into the IETF; the IAB is responsible for IETF’s liaison relationship, but they lack the operational experience.

9. Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the 29 November 2017 business meeting and the 6 December 2017 tech chat and business meeting were approved.

10. Executive Session: RSOC Membership

The IAB discussed RSOC membership in an executive session.