Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2018-02-14

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2018»IAB Minutes 2018-02-14

Minutes of the 2018-02-14 IAB Teleconference (Tech Chat & Business Meeting)

1. Roll-call, agenda-bash, administrivia, minutes

1.1. Attendance

  • Jari Arkko
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Michelle Cotton (IANA Liaison)
  • Heather Flanagan (RFC Editor Liaison)
  • Mat Ford (ISOC Liaison)
  • Ted Hardie (IAB Chair)
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Christian Huitema (incoming IAB)
  • Allison Mankin (IRTF Chair)
  • Gabriel Montenegro
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Mark Nottingham
  • Melinda Shore (incoming IAB)
  • Jeff Tantsura
  • Martin Thomson
  • Brian Trammell
  • Amy Vezza
  • Lee Howard
  • Kathleen Moriarty (IESG Liaison)
  • Jonne Soininen (ICANN Liaison)
  • Robert Sparks
  • Suzanne Woolf
  • Catalina Escobar
  • Andrea Londoño

1.2. Administrivia

Cindy Morgan reminded the IAB that the tech chat on 28 February 2018 will start 30 minutes later than normal in order to accommodate the speaker’s schedule.

Cindy Morgan reported that the IETF has contracted with the Novotel in Paris for the IAB retreat, and that information about how to make hotel reservations will be available within the next couple of days.

2. Tech Chat: White Space in Colombia

Catalina Escobar and Andrea Londoño joined the IAB to discuss how white space has been used to bring broadband to rural coffee growers in Colombia.

There is a coffee bean that is only grown in the rural Mesetas region of Colombia. Lavazza, an Italian coffee company that is interested in this bean, partnered with several other organizations, including MAKAIA and ALO, to strengthen the capacity for social development in the Mestas region.

The project has three goals:

  1. Increasing access and connectivity
  2. Fostering ICT adoption and culture
  3. Strengthening coffee growers through ICT tools.

So far, two schools and five coffee farms have been connected to the Internet using TV white space (512-518 MHz) in collaboration with Colombia’s National Spectrum Agency (ANE). The project took advantage of infrastructure that was already in place (towers, solar panels) in addition to buying new equipment.

The project was not designed to sustain access forever; designing a sustainability and scalability model will be one of the next steps.

Erik Nordmark asked how easy it was to get the spectrum regulators on board with this project. Catalina Escobar replied that it was easy because the regulators had been talking with their stakeholders about draft regulations, and the project was a way for them show that regulation is important.

Gabriel Montenegro observed that the participation from the private sector seems to have contributed to the project’s success, and asked if they think that using the value chains from a variety of organizations will help make the project more sustainable. Andrea Londoño replied that the participation from those in the private sector like Lavazza has been crucial, but that they they do not yet have a model that will give them sustainability.

3. Future Tech Plenaries

Brian Trammell reported the plans for the IETF 101 plenary are currently on track.

4. Monthly Reports

4.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
13 February 2017


I. Upcoming Study Papers
	Internet Scoping Study on Timor Leste
	Internet Scoping Study on Nepal

II. Recent Submissions
	NTIA RFC Against Botnets

III. Upcoming Engagements
	AUC-ISOC Privacy Guidelines Experts Meeting
IV. Highlights of Recent Activities
	Jordan Internet for All Initiative Working Group
	4th IEEE World Forum on the Internet of Things	
	CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation: Fifth Meeting
	G20 Think tank (T20) Meeting
	Canada Multistakeholder Consultation on IoT Security

I. Upcoming Study Papers

Internet Scoping Study on Timor Leste
ISOC's APAC Bureau is finalizing a report on the progress of Internet 
development in Timor Leste, identifying bottlenecks and offering 
guidelines for improvement through best practices.

Internet Scoping Study on Nepal
ISOC's APAC Bureau is finalizing a study on the state of Internet 
development in Nepal. This will include infrastructure and regulatory 
issues, and solutions to support further adoption and usage in the 

II. Recent Submissions

NTIA RFC Against Botnets
U.S. National Telecommunications and Information Administration's 
Request for Comment
The Internet Society provided a submission to the U.S. National 
Telecommunications and Information Administration's RFC Promoting 
Stakeholder Action Against Botnets and Other Automated Threats.

III. Upcoming Engagements

AUC-ISOC Privacy Guidelines Experts Meeting - 21-23 February, Addis 
Ababa, Ethiopia
The Internet Society and the African Union Commission will hold an 
Expert workshop in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to gather views from African 
Privacy experts. The workshop is part of the AUC-ISOC project that will 
result in the development of Personal Data Protection & Privacy 
Guidelines for Africa.

IV. Highlights of Recent Activities

Jordan Internet for All Initiative Working Group - 7-8 February, Amman, 
ISOC's Middle East Regional Bureau participated in the second round of 
Working Group meetings organized jointly by the World Economic Forum and 
the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology.

4th IEEE World Forum on the Internet of Things - 5-8 February, Singapore
The 4th World Forum on IoT has adopted the theme 'Smart Cities and 
People'. ISOC's Steve Olshansky spoke on the challenges and 
opportunities in IoT Security & Privacy, and will take part in a panel 
on best practices and standards. For more information, go to:

CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation: Fifth Meeting - January 
29-31, Geneva, Switzerland
The group's fifth meeting discussed the reporting of the Working Group 
to the twenty-first session of the Commission on Science and Technology 
for Development in 2018. Following three days of discussions, the group 
did not find a consensus on recommendations to further implement 
enhanced cooperation due to diverging views on the role of non-
governmental stakeholders and the need for new institutional mechanisms.

G20 Think tank (T20) Meeting - 1-2 Feb, BA, Argentina
Argentina convened a think tank to discuss G20 priorities. ISOC staff 
participated to share ISOC's views on the digital agenda. ISOC also co-
authored a shared blog post with The Web Foundation and Mozilla to push 
for a collaborative approach to governance, including to support and 
develop Internet infrastructure solutions (including community networks) 
and IoT security approaches.

Canada Multistakeholder Consultation on IoT Security - January 10, 
Ottawa, Canada
The Canadian Government is developing a framework for a Multistakeholder 
Consultation on Internet of Things to help shape a national policy on 
IoT in Canada. An Oversight Committee with representatives from the 
Internet Society's North America Regional Bureau, the Ministry of 
Innovation, Science, and Economic Development (ISED), and the Canadian 
Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) will oversee the process.  The 
Committee held its kickoff meeting on January 10th in Ottawa.  The next 
steps are to establish a website, conduct outreach to key stakeholders, 
and firm up logistics surrounding the first multistakeholder meeting, 
tentatively scheduled for mid-March.

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Mat Ford reported that he will be stepping down as ISOC’s liaison to the IAB at IETF 101. Karen O’Donoghue will be the new liaison; the IAB agreed to subscribe Karen to the IAB list now in order to facilitate that transition.

4.2. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Allison Mankin–

IRTF Report for February 2018

The Applied Networking Research Prize selection process completed in 
January, with a little delay caused by this year's mean flu season.  Now 
in the capable hands of Mat Ford.  IRTF and ISOC publicize the winners 
meeting-by-meeting rather than all at once, but for the leadership the 
set of all the six winners plus the meetings at which they will present 
is provided below.  It is an exciting group and if there had been room 
for 10 winners, we had enough great candidates.

The Applied Networking Research Workshop process is well under way, with 
a very strong Technical Program Committee (see:
2018/).  After good coordination discussions, the workshop will be held 
on the Monday (July 15) during the Montreal IETF. The reasoning was to 
entice academics and other non-regulars at IETF/IRTF to stay for WGs and 
RGs, and thus strengthen these applied research connections.  Current 
action items are for the steering committee to develop the budget and 
for IRTF Chair plus Steering Committee to firm up room and other 
arrangements with the Secretariat.

Status of Proposed and Potential Research Groups
​Proposed Path Aware Networking RG (PANRG) - third meeting will take 
place at IETF 101

Proposed Decentralized Internet Infrastructure RG (DINRG) - first 
official meeting is an interim on February 17, collocated with NDSS in 
San Diego.  Watch for streaming info.
Second meeting will be at IETF 101

Research group soon to propose:  Quantum Internet RG
Proposed chairs: Rod van Meter (Keio University), Stephanie Wehner 
Charter and community promotion under way, mailing list is
One or both chairs will discuss of their ideas for the group in IRTFOPEN

​Actively recruiting a team for a Proposed Privacy Research Group, 
intended to research the application of privacy-enhancing cryptographic 
and other techniques into Internet protocols

Status of ​IRTF Track ​Documents​
draft-irtf-nmrg-autonomic-sla-violation-detection ->​ ​AUTH48 completed, 
about to be RFC 8316​, Experimental​

draft-irtf-cfrg-xmss-hash-based-signatures - Sent to RFC-Editor​, 

draft-irtf-icnrg-ccnxsemantics - IRSG Poll resulted in Revised I-D 
Needed​, Experimental

draft-irtf-icnrg-ccnmessages - IRSG Poll resulted in Revised I-D Needed​, 

draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization - IRSG Poll resulted in 
Revised I-D Needed​, Informational ​

draft-nir-cfrg-rfc7539bis - In IRSG Poll​​, Informational

draft-irtf-nwcrg-network-coding-taxonomy - In IRSG Poll, Informational

draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying - In RGLC, Informational

Status of Documents Long Range Plan
Stephen Farrell and Allison are working on the written proposal on this, 
aimed for stakeholder reviews in and following London

Applied Networking Research Prize 2018 Awardees
Reminder: will be announced meeting-by-meeting

IETF 101
Mojgan Ghasemi, Princeton University and Akamai, Performance 
Characterization of a Commercial Streaming Video Service, IMC 2016

Vaspol Ruamviboonsuk, University of Michigan, Vroom: Accelerating the 
Mobile Web with Server-Aided Dependency Resolution, SIGCOMM 2017

–End IRTF Chair Report, Allison Mankin–

4.3. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Services Liaison Report – 14 February 2018
SLA Deliverables Update:
- ICANN met 100% of processing goal times for the December 2017 monthly 
statistics report, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing goal 
times.  These times include the steps that ICANN has control over and 
not time it is waiting on requesters, document authors or other experts.
- The annual review of processing protocol parameter related requests 
has been completed.  The confidential SOC2 report, prepared by 
Pricewaterhouse Coopers, has been provided to the IETF Leadership for 
its review.  There were no exceptions related to the delivery of the 
protocol parameters function.
Other News:
- Results of the Annual IANA Functions Customer Satisfaction Survey
IANA Services Operator and IETF Leadership Meeting Minutes:
None to report

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

4.4. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RFC Series Editor Update

- Format
xml2rfc v2.9.0 supports the initial preptool functionality required to
take a v3 draft and turn it into a fully expanded XML output. The RPC
will begin testing this after there is a v3 to TXT publication formatter
tool. From the release notes for xml2rfc:

This release introduces preptool functionality, through a --preptool
output mode.  With reservation for some points for which issues has
been raised, this follows the specification in RFC7998. The preptool
currently takes vocabulary v3 input, and produces prepped output.
When work on the text formatter commences, the idea is that the
input xml source will always be run through v2v3 conversion and
preptool processing before the output formatting, in order to increase
consistency and reduce complexity of the output formatter.

Work on other components of the new format tool chain are also underway. See for the
current expected timeline.

- RFC 33
A report was submitted by Vint Cerf highlighting a transcription error,
introduced during the RFC Online project
(, to RFC 33. RFC 33
was put online in April 2006. The error was identified (though not as a
transcription error) and recorded in the errata system in 2007 (see The RSE, the RPC director, and
the RSOC discussed whether making a change to the online copy was an
appropriate action, and the consensus (not unanimous) was to leave this
recorded as an errata and not change the existing digital copy.

- IEEE (publisher)
The publishing side of the IEEE is building a reference center of
materials for product designers in the ICT space. They have requested
permission to include pointers to RFCs in this environment. While it has
been pointed out that permission is inherent for this kind of thing in
the TLP, they are planning to request an MoU expressly stating that they
have permission to link to our materials. If they go forward with this
request, the RSE will take this to the IETF Trust for review.

RPC update

From the reports page:
Q1 2018 notes: As previously mentioned, the IESG has indicated that
there will be an increase in submissions over the next few months. The
increase in submissions we saw in Q4 2017 continues this quarter. A
large number of these documents are part of a cluster. 16 of the
submitted I-Ds thus far are part of a cluster; that’s 47%. Seven of
those documents are part of Cluster 336, which is currently an
eleven-document cluster.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

5. Minutes

The minutes of the 7 February 2018 tech chat and business meeting remain under review.

6. Action item review

The internal action item list was reviewed.

7. Response to Liaison on IPv6 work items

Discussion of the proposed response to the liaison on IPv6 work items was deferred to email since Lee Howard was not on the call.

8. Applied Networking Research Workshop

Allison Mankin reported that Lars Eggert is connecting the ANRW TPC with the ACM SIG. Progress is being made on the budget. The call for papers should be sent out soon.

9. Independent Stream

The IAB discussed the process for handling the discussion about the Independent Stream. The IAB agreed to discuss the topic internally first before opening up the discussion further. Martin Thomson will add an item on this to the IAB’s agenda at IETF 101.

10. Root Zone Label Generation Rules for IDN TLDs

The IAB discussed the draft text for the request to the community for a volunteer for the ICANN study group on Root Zone Label Generation Rules for IDN TLDs.

11. IDN Implementation Guidelines

Ted Hardie reported that ICANN IDN Guidelines Working Group is seeking feedback from the IAB on the the IDN Implementation Guidelines 4.0. Ted will work with Suzanne Woolf to review the guidelines to see whether the IAB’s previous comments  were incorporated.

12. Executive Session: ISOC Board of Trustees Appointment

The IAB discussed the IETF appointments to the ISOC Board of Trustees in an executive session. Jari Arkko recused himself from the discussion of Gonzalo Camarillo.