Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2018-03-18

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2018»IAB Minutes 2018-03-18

Minutes of the 2018-03-18 IAB Business Meeting, London



  • Jari Arkko
  • Deborah Brungard (IESG Liaison)
  • Alissa Cooper
  • Ted Hardie (IAB Chair)
  • Joe Hildebrand
  • Lee Howard
  • Olaf Kolkman (Internet Society)
  • Christian Huitema
  • Allison Mankin (IRTF Chair)
  • Gabriel Montenegro
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Erik Nordmark
  • Mark Nottingham
  • Melinda Shore
  • Robert Sparks (via WebEx)
  • Jeff Tantsura
  • Martin Thomson
  • Brian Trammell
  • Suzanne Woolf


  • Steve Olshansky

1. ISOC IOT Campaign

Steve Olshansky joined the IAB to discuss the Internet Society’s IoT Campaign. The objectives of the campaign are:

  • Make the Online Trust Alliance IoT Trust Framework global
  • Consumer drive demand for security and privacy in IoT
  • Policy and regulations driving better security and privacy features in IoT.

Ted Hardie observed that the campaign is elucidating principles that people should follow, but it does not get down into the details, which could result in having different approaches that do not interoperate well. He asked if there was an intent to turn this into standards work in the future.

Olaf Kolkman replied that at the moment it is more about raising awareness and pointing to standardization work that already happening elsewhere, rather actually doing the standardization work.

Christian Huitema noted that some of the problems are market issues; there is a relationship between ad-funded business models and having a surveillance society.

Allison Mankin observed that consumers did not know what happens with the data from their smart devices once it leaves their homes.

Olaf Kolkman replied that issue is more general than just IoT.

Brian Trammell noted that many IoT devices are already not complying with the minimal legal requirements regarding transparency and control. There should be principles for the architectures of those systems, and what happens to the data. Olaf Kolkman replied that the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will apply to IoT as much as it will to anything else.

Ted Hardie noted that the IAB would be happy to review any future Internet Society white papers on this topic.

2. Executive Session: IAB Chair Selection

In an executive session, the IAB selected Ted Hardie as the IAB Chair for 2018-2019.

3. IAB Program Leadership

The IAB discussed the leadership of various IAB Programs.

Jari Arkko will remain the IAB Lead for the IANA Program. The IAB took an action to find someone to take over approval of root zone changes from Ted Hardie.

Brian Trammell will remain the IAB Lead for the IP Stack Evolution Program.

Mark Nottingham will take over as the IAB Lead for the Liaison Oversight Program.

Brian Trammell and Melinda Shore will be IAB co-Leads for the Plenary Planning Program. Brian noted that he would like to step down from this position after IETF 102, but that the Program should continue to have two co-Leads.

Martin Thomson will remain the IAB Lead for the Privacy and Security Program for now; the IAB will discuss the Program further at the IAB retreat in April.

Robert Sparks will remain the IAB Lead for the RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC).

4. Internal Liaisons

The IAB’s liaison to the IESG and the IAB’s liaison to the 2018-2019 NomCom will be finalized later this week.

Cindy Morgan will send pointers to the IAB wiki pages with past advice to IAB NomCom liaisons.

5. Liaison Shepherds

The IAB reviewed the IAB shepherds for the various IETF liaison relationships, and made the following changes:

  • Brian Trammell will be the liaison shepherd for CableLabs.
  • Martin Thomson will be the liaison shepherd for ECMA TC39.
  • Suzanne Woolf will be the liaison shepherd for ICANN NomCom.

6. Internationalization Statement

The IAB approved the text of the IAB Statement on Identifiers and Unicode via e-vote prior to the start of the meeting.

7. Monthly Reports

7.1. ISOC Liaison Report

–Begin ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

Internet Society Liaison Report to the IAB
15 March 2018


I. Upcoming Policy Papers
Innovative Licensing Paper
ISOC @ ITU Plenipotentiary 2018
IoT Security for Policymakers
Cryptography: CEO Questions for CTOs

II. Upcoming Submissions
FairPlay Proposal, Canada

III. Upcoming Engagements
High Level Meeting on "Digital Inclusion for Development in the Americas"
VII Regular Meeting of the Assembly of CITEL
African Telecommunication Union Plenipotentiary Preparatory Meeting #2
2018 WSIS Forum
IGF Open Consultations and MAG Meeting
APAN 2018
Innovation Africa Digital
G7 Ministerial on the Future of Jobs

IV. Highlights of Recent Activities
NDSS 2018
Blockchain and Digital Identity – A Good Fit?
Successful engagement at the Internet & Jurisdiction conference in Ottawa
ISOC delegation received by UN Secretary General in New York
Workshop on Privacy Guidelines

I. Upcoming Policy Papers

Innovative Licensing Paper
A paper on Innovative Licensing will be released in April exploring the
licensing environment for community networks and the policies that could
be implemented or avoided in order to facilitate the creation and
sustainability of community networks. This paper will first be released
on Monday 19 March 2018 as a discussion paper, inviting comments from
the community.

ISOC @ ITU Plenipotentiary 2018
ISOC is a Sector Member of the ITU and will be attending Plenipotentiary
2018 as an observer. As part of our preparations we will have several
informational resources for our community. A draft background paper on
Plenipotentiary 2018 will be circulated to the community for review and
input in March.

ISOC will have fellowships available to ISOC members for Plenipotentiary
2018. A call for applications for the Fellowship Programme for
Plenipotentiary will be issued in March. The expectation is to have
selected fellows join ISOC staff in the organization's preparatory
process early in the year.

IoT Security for Policymakers
Following consultation with our community, the paper on IoT Security for
Policymakers will be released at the end of March. The paper covers some
of the challenges in the IoT security ecosystem and encourages
policymakers to guide the IoT ecosystem through a set of concrete
recommendations and policy tools.

Cryptography: CEO Questions for CTOs
ISOC will shortly release the paper "Cryptography: CEO Questions for
CTOs". The paper looks at the deployment of cryptography and sets out
some questions that CEOs should ask to get an understanding of whether
cryptography, as used in their organisation, is being well deployed and
well managed.

II. Upcoming Submissions

FairPlay Proposal, Canada
ISOC will be submitting a comment to the Canadian regulator on a
proposal by a coalition of service and content providers to block access
to sites that host pirated content.

III. Upcoming Engagements

High Level Meeting on "Digital Inclusion for Development in the
This event brings together high level representatives from governments,
the Internet technical community, international organizations, civil
society and academia to exchange information, best practices, points of
views and perspectives related with the topics: Digital Economy,
Infrastructure, Connectivity and 5G, Reduction of Roaming charges at
Regional level, and Issues with theft of Equipment​. Raul Echeberria is a
speaker at the event and has signed a partnership agreement with the
Organisation of American States (OAS) to join the ICT Alliance 2030 in
order to promote community networks in the Americas. More information

VII Regular Meeting of the Assembly of CITEL
CITEL's General Assembly happens every four years and is the forum in
which the highest telecommunications authorities of the Member States in
the Americas agree on strategic plans, and mandate and review work
programs to address challenges. More information available here:

The West and Central African Research and Education Network (WACREN)
2018 Conference and Annual General Meeting is to be held in Lomé, Togo,
on 15-16 March 2018. ISOC will be presenting on MANRS during the WACREN
routing workshop.

African Telecommunication Union Plenipotentiary Preparatory Meeting #2
As an Associate Member of ATU, ISOC will attend the ATU-PP-18
preparatory meeting. The agenda includes discussions on potential
preliminary common proposals, views and issues for PP-18 from other
regional telecommunication organizations and the ITU's Strategic and
Financial plan.

2018 WSIS Forum
The World Summit on Information Society will convene to showcase the
role that ICTs should play in the achievement of the Sustainable
Development Goals. Topics such as collaborative governance and support
for alternative access will be discussed. ISOC will be organizing a
panel on Community Networks.

IGF Open Consultations and MAG Meeting
The first Open Consultations and Multistakeholder Advisory Group (MAG)
meeting of the IGF 2018 preparatory cycle will take place from 20-22
March at the headquarters of the International Telecommunication Union
(ITU), in Geneva, Switzerland. More information: https://

APAN 2018
The Asia Pacific Advanced Network (APAN45) Meeting is to be held in
Singapore 25-29 of March 2018. ISOC will be presenting an introduction
to MANRS during the meeting.

Innovation Africa Digital
This year's event focuses on Access. ISOC will be represented on a panel
to discuss community networks. More here:

G7 Ministerial on the Future of Jobs
ISOC will have presence at this step towards the G7 Leaders Summit. We
will push for recognition of the need to address challenges related to
IoT security and privacy, as well as stress the importance to adopt a
collaborative and inclusive approach to tackle them.

IV. Highlights of Recent Activities

NDSS 2018
The 25th edition of the Network and Distributed System Security (NDSS)
Symposium was held 18-21 February 2018 in San Diego, CA. There were four
workshops in addition to the main program of 2 keynotes, 71 academic
papers, and a poster session. The workshops include: Binary Analysis
Research ( (BAR);
Decentralized IoT Security and Standards (https://www.ndss- (DISS); DNS Privacy (https:// (DNSPRIV); and,
Usable Security (
usec/) (USEC 2018).

In particular, the DNSPRIV and DISS workshops have had significant
involvement from key IETF community members working in that space.
Colocated with NDSS was also be an interim meeting of the proposed IRTF
research group on Decentralized Internet Infrastructure (https:// A blog post providing a high
level overview of the entire set of events is available (https://
ndss/). Additionally, all papers, slides, videos, and posters are now
available online at

Blockchain and Digital Identity – A Good Fit?
ISOC recently published a white paper, titled “Do Blockchains Have
Anything to Offer Identity?”, to provide an in-depth analysis of
blockchain and Identity and Access Management, and to provide a lens
through which to view and evaluate forthcoming developments.

Successful engagement at the Internet & Jurisdiction conference in
Kathy Brown attended the Internet & Jurisdiction conference in Ottawa
where she delivered remarks in the opening session about the importance
of supporters of the multistakeholder model to step up and both
implement it at home for domestic policy and to become champions of it
on the international stage. Kathy also published an op ed in The Hill
Times (
lead-future-internet/135540) and was interviewed by iPolitics (https://

ISOC delegation received by UN Secretary General in New York
The Delegation comprised of Kathy Brown, Raul Echeberria and Constance
Bommelaer. The visit shows the important place given by the UN to ISOC.

Workshop on Privacy Guidelines, 20-21 February, Addis Ababa
ISOC and the African Union successfully held the 1st multistakeholder
workshop to discuss the draft Guidelines on Privacy and Personal Data
Protection for Africa.

Internet Society supported 13 fellows from South and Southeast Asia to
participate in this year's APRICOT. This year's meeting was the biggest
meeting on operational technologies in APAC. ISOC spoke on topics such
as MANRS, IoT Security, RPKI, and ISOC updates. For more information:

–End ISOC Liaison Report, Mat Ford–

7.2. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Allison Mankin–

IRTF Report for March 2018

Two ANRP speakers will give their talks in IRTFOPEN in London: Mojgan
Ghasemi, Akamai, one of Jennifer Rexford’s Ph.D. grads, and Vaspol
Ruamviboonsuk, a Ph.D. student at University of Michigan. Their talks
are from papers given at IMC 2016 and SIGCOMM 2017 respectively.
Participation from those focused on the ART areas is especially
encouraged, as these papers cover large-scale real-world video
measurement and browser performance research respectively.

Other Activities at IETF 101
The IAB will review MAPRG. Both chairs, Mirja Kuehlewind and Dave
Plonka, will attend.
A potential RG on Quantum Internet will be discussed in the IRTFOPEN
meeting (see below).
Jane Coffin, will moderate the technical plenary around GAIA topics.
Jane is the co-chair of GAIA. The GAIA founding chair, Arjuna
Sathiaseelan, has stepped down, and his successor is Leandro Navarro,
who will also give one of the technical plenary talks.

The Call for Papers is published (due date: April 20), and signal
boosts are sought:

Notifications to the peer-reviewed papers will go out May 14.

The program committee selected an outstanding set of invited speakers:

Status of Proposed and Potential Research Groups
​Proposed Path Aware Networking RG (PANRG) - third meeting will take
place at IETF 101

Proposed Decentralized Internet Infrastructure RG (DINRG) - second
meeting will be at IETF 101. First meeting was an interim collocated
with NDSS 2018 in February.

Research group soon to propose: Quantum Internet RG
Proposed chairs: Rod van Meter (Keio University), Stephanie Wehner
Charter and community promotion under way, mailing list is
The chairs will discuss their vision for the RG (via Meetecho) in the
IRTFOPEN meeting.

​Actively recruiting a team for a Proposed Privacy Research Group,
intended to research the application of privacy-enhancing cryptographic
and other techniques into Internet protocols. Presented an IRTF
overview as part of a talk to the DC Area Privacy and Security Seminar
on February 26, and the search continues.

IRTF Documents Status
RFC 8316 published: draft-irtf-nmrg-autonomic-sla-violation-detection ​ ​
draft-irtf-cfrg-xmss-hash-based-signatures - RFC-Editor queue​,
draft-irtf-nwcrg-network-coding-taxonomy - Conflict review requested,
waiting for IESG (Mirja is IESG owner)
draft-nir-cfrg-rfc7539bis - Conflict review requested
draft-irtf-icnrg-ccnxsemantics - IRSG Poll resulted in Revised I-D
Needed, Experimental
draft-irtf-icnrg-ccnmessages - IRSG Poll resulted in Revised I-D Needed,
draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization - IRSG Poll nearly
completed, Informational ​
draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying - In RGLC, Informational
draft-irtf-icnrg-disaster - In RGLC, Informational

Recent reports are also online if needed (and you can comment):

–End IRTF Chair Report, Allison Mankin–

7.3. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

IANA Services Liaison Report – 18 March 2018

SLA Deliverables Update:
- ICANN met 100% of processing goal times for the January 2018 and 99%
of processing goal times for the February 2018 monthly statistics
report, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing goal times.
These times include the steps that ICANN has control over and not time
it is waiting on requesters, document authors or other experts. Monthly
reports can be found at:

- The 2018 SLA between the IAOC and ICANN is currently with the IAOC for
review and approval.

Other News:

- For the Annual Protocol Parameters Review, which is part of the annual
SOC 2 and SOC 3 audits performed on the IANA Services, ICANN completed
the public RFP to select an audit firm. After thorough selection process
the contract was awarded to RSM US, LLP.

IANA Services Operator and IETF Leadership Meeting Minutes:

None to report

–End IANA Liaison Report, Michelle Cotton–

7.4. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–

RFC Series Editor Update
See the report from the RFC Series Editor in the IETF 101 proceedings

- Format
The initial release of the SVG checker, xmldiff, and rfclint have been
released to the RPC for testing. The next several weeks will be
iterative testing and updates of that code. The first publication
formatter, v3 to TXT, is expected to release by the end of this month
for testing by the RPC.

Authors should expect processing delays as the RPC ramps up the
testing for the v3 format.

See for
the current expected timeline.

RPC update
See the report from the RFC Editor in the IETF 101 proceedings

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, Heather Flanagan–