Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2022-01-12

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2022»IAB Minutes 2022-01-12

Minutes of the 2022-01-12 IAB Business Meeting

1. Administrivia

1.1. Attendance

  • Jari Arkko
  • Deborah Brungard
  • Ben Campbell
  • Lars Eggert (IETF Chair)
  • Wes Hardaker
  • Cullen Jennings
  • Mirja Kühlewind (IAB Chair)
  • Zhenbin Li
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Tommy Pauly
  • Colin Perkins (IRTF Chair)
  • David Schinazi
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
  • Martin Vigoureux (IESG Liaison)
  • Russ White
  • Greg Wood (IETF Director of Communications and Operations)
  • Jiankang Yao
  • Jared Mauch
  • Karen O’Donoghue (ISOC Liaison)
  • Warren Kumari

1.2. Agenda bash and announcements

Cindy Morgan reminded the IAB to fill out the polls to select a time for a joint meeting with the IESG to discuss the new work and leadership pipelines. She also reminded them to fill out the polls to select times for the BoF coordination calls for IETF 113.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The following meeting minutes were approved:

  • 2021-12-08 technical discussion – (posted 2021-12-08)
  • 2021-12-15 business meeting – (posted 2021-12-15)

1.4. Action item review – 5 mins (Public)

  • 2021-12-15: Mirja Kühlewind to submit the application for a liaison relationship with ISO/TC 154. (See:
  • 2021-12-15: Cindy Morgan to send a reminder about the ISOC BoT call for nominations.
  • 2021-12-15: Cindy Morgan to send a message closing the ISE nominations and updating the call for community feedback on candidates.
  • 2021-12-15: Cullen Jennings, David Schinazi, and Tommy Pauly to check in with the proponents of the proposed Secure Credential Transfer BoF.
  • 2021-10-06: IAB and ISOC to coordinate via email to set up a group to agree on some high-level guidelines about how ISOC can talk about IETF at WTSA.
  • 2021-08-25: Mirja Kühlewind and the Liaison Coordinators to set up a formal liaison relationship with ISO/TC 154.
On Hold:
  • 2021-04-07: Wes Hardaker (with Cullen Jennings, Colin Perkins, and Russ White) to come up with a list of subjective tags that define common characteristics of good RFCs.
In Progress:
  • 2021-05-26: Russ White and Jared Mauch to review the IAB discussion on “The Internet of Three Protocols” and draft a problem statement to see if there is work that the IAB can do in this space.
  • 2021-09-01: Jari Arkko to continue editing the document on the role of discovery in ensuring that Internet technology is broadly applicable.
  • 2021-09-08: Liaison Coordinators to come up with a list of potential candidates to reach out to for future IAB-appointed positions.
  • 2021-10-27: Cullen Jennings to talk to David Schinazi about the ISE job description.
  • 2021-11-17: Mirja Kühlewind and Cindy Morgan to put together some options for the IAB Website revamp for the IAB to review.
  • 2022-01-12: Deborah Brungard to report back to the IAB on ISOC planning for WTSA.
  • 2022-01-12: IAB to work out the details for closing the Plenary Planning Program.
  • 2022-01-12: Mirja Kühlewind and Cindy Morgan to find volunteers for the ISOC BoT interviews (Jari Arkko, Cullen Jennings, and Tommy Pauly have already volunteered).
  • 2022-01-12: Cindy Morgan to start an e-vote for the IESG slate confirmation.

1.5. IAB Document Status Update


  • draft-arkko-iab-path-signals-collaboration
    IAB State: Active IAB Document
  • draft-iab-mnqeu-report-00
    IAB State: Active IAB Document
  • draft-iab-protocol-maintenance-05
    IAB State: Active IAB Document

1.6. WG Chartering in Progress


  • Privacy Respecting Incorporation of Values (PRIV)
    Draft Charter

1.7. Proposed BOF Requests


  • bofreq-secure-credential-transfer-bof-request-00 (2021-12-07)
    Secure Credential Transfer BoF Request

Cullen Jennings, Tommy Pauly, and David Schinazi met with the proponents of the Secure Credential Transfer BoF. Cullen said that this is the sort of work that he would like to see done at the IETF, and that the IAB should help the proponents have a successful BOF. The IAB should continue to engage as the discussion continues.

2. Plenary Planning Program Review

Wes Hardaker noted that the IAB’s Plenary Planning Program went dormant in 2019 and decided to default to not organizing technical plenaries, but to remain open in case a timely topic arose. The rationale behind this was that organizing technical plenaries is quite challenging:

  • The topic has to be broad enough to appear to a wide audience that has increasingly diverse interests
  • It is hard to find topics/speakers that are informative or entertaining (or ideally, both)
  • The IESG’s Technical Deep Dives were fulfilling the desire to have detailed technical sessions and happen outside of plenary time so can have a more narrow focus.

Wes Hardaker asked whether the current IAB still agrees with this reasoning, or if they should consider either re-activating the Program or shutting it down completely.

After a discussion, the IAB was in favor of closing the Program, noting that they don’t need to have a formal Program to organize a technical plenary if an appropriate opportunity arises.

The IAB will continue to discuss the logistics for closing the Program (e.g. what to do with the mailing list and how to handle the announcement) on the IAB list.

3. ISOC Board of Trustees Appointment

Jari Arkko, Cullen Jennings, and Tommy Pauly volunteered to help with the ISOC Board of Trustees interviews. Mirja Kühlewind and Cindy Morgan will follow up on the mailing list to find additional volunteers.

4. Executive Session: Independent Submissions Editor Appointment

Discussion on the Independent Submissions Editor appointment was deferred until the search committee can sync up.

5. Executive Session: IESG Slate Confirmation

The IESG Slate confirmation was discussed in an executive session. Cindy Morgan will start an e-vote.