Internet Architecture Board


IAB Minutes 2022-02-16

Home»Documents»Minutes»Minutes 2022»IAB Minutes 2022-02-16

Minutes of the 2022-02-16 IAB Business Meeting

1. Administrivia

1.1. Attendance

  • Jari Arkko
  • Deborah Brungard
  • Ben Campbell
  • Wes Hardaker
  • Cullen Jennings
  • Mirja Kühlewind (IAB Chair)
  • John Levine (Temporary RFC Series Project Manager)
  • Zhenbin Li
  • Cindy Morgan (IAB Executive Administrative Manager)
  • Karen O’Donoghue (ISOC Liaison)
  • Tommy Pauly
  • Colin Perkins (IRTF Chair)
  • David Schinazi
  • Sabrina Tanamal (IANA Liaison)
  • Amy Vezza (IETF Secretariat)
  • Qin Wu (incoming IAB)
  • Jiankang Yao
  • Lars Eggert (IETF Chair)
  • Mallory Knodel (incoming IAB)
  • Jared Mauch
  • Martin Vigoureux (IESG Liaison)
  • Russ White
  • Greg Wood (IETF Director of Communications and Operations)
  • None

1.2. Agenda bash and announcements

An item on the proposal for the RFC Series Consulting Editor recruitment committee and process was added to the agenda.

Mirja Kühlewind took an action item to reach out to Eliot Lear to schedule time for a meeting between the IAB and ISE at some point in the future.

1.3. Meeting Minutes

The following meeting minutes were approved:

  • 2022-02-02 business meeting – (posted 2022-02-02)

1.4. Action item review

  • 2022-02-02: Cindy Morgan to coordinate with Lars Eggert to send out IETF Last Calls on draft-carpenter-rfced-iab-charter, draft-rosen-rfcefdp-update-2026, and draft-rsalz-2028bis at the same time as the IAB Call for Comments on draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfc-model.
  • 2022-02-02: Cindy Morgan to send out an IAB Call for Comment on draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfc-model-11 (at the same time as the IETF Last Call on the related docs).
  • 2022-02-02: Cindy Morgan to confirm that Mallory Knodel and Qin Wu can attend an IAB meeting on 2022-02-09 to go through the “IAB Lore for New Members” slides.
  • 2022-02-02: Cindy Morgan to send an e-vote on the Independent Submissions Editor appointment.
  • 2022-01-19: Wes Hardaker to draft text for the Plenary Planning Program webpage noting that while the Program has been closed, the IAB is still open to suggestions about topics that are worthy of broad-area discussion in the IETF.
On Hold:
  • 2021-04-07: Wes Hardaker (with Cullen Jennings, Colin Perkins, and Russ White) to come up with a list of subjective tags that define common characteristics of good RFCs.
  • 2021-09-08: Liaison Coordinators to come up with a list of potential candidates to reach out to for future IAB-appointed positions.
    • Check back after next check-in with Liaison Managers (~2022-03).
  • 2021-11-17: Mirja Kühlewind and Cindy Morgan to put together some options for the IAB Website revamp for the IAB to review.
    • Sometime after IETF 113
In Progress:
  • 2021-05-26: Russ White and Jared Mauch to review the IAB discussion on “The Internet of Three Protocols” and draft a problem statement to see if there is work that the IAB can do in this space.
  • 2021-09-01: Jari Arkko to continue editing the document on the role of discovery in ensuring that Internet technology is broadly applicable.
  • 2022-02-02: Russ White to review the PPM charter for the IESG
  • 2022-01-12: Deborah Brungard to report back to the IAB on ISOC planning for WTSA.
  • 2022-02-16: Mirja Kühlewind to reach out to Eliot Lear to schedule a time for a meeting between the IAB and ISE.
  • 2022-02-16: Cindy Morgan to reply to Francesca Palombini about the proposal to archive AUTH48 conversations.
  • 2022-02-16: Wes Hardaker to draft a response to Jay Daley on the proposal for RSCE recruitment committee and process.
  • 2022-02-16: Cindy Morgan to send an e-vote on the ISOC BoT Appointment.

1.5. IAB Document Status Update


  • draft-arkko-iab-path-signals-collaboration-01
    IAB State: Active IAB Document
  • draft-iab-mnqeu-report-00
    IAB State: Active IAB Document
  • draft-iab-protocol-maintenance-05
    IAB State: Active IAB Document (EXPIRED)
  • draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfced-model-11
    In Community Review (ends 2022-03-07)

1.6. WG Chartering in Progress


  • Privacy Preserving Measurement (PPM)
    Draft Charter

1.7. BOFs at IETF 113


  • Computing-Aware Networking (CAN)
    Area: Routing

    •  IAB Shepherd: Zhenbin Li
  • Media Over QUIC (MOQ) – Applications and Real-Time Area
    • IAB Shepherd: Tommy Pauly
  • Secure Credential Transfer (SECRET)
    Area: Applications and Real-Time

    • Held interim BOF on 2022-02-10
  • Source Address Validation in Intra-domain and Inter-domain Networks (SAVNET)
    Area: Internet

    • IAB Shepherd: Jari Arkko

Provisionally approved for a meeting after 113:

  • Multicast Source Routing over IPv6 (MSR6)
    • IAB Shepherd: Deborah Brungard, Russ White

2. Monthly Reports

2.1. IRTF Chair Report

–Begin IRTF Chair Report, Colin Perkins–

IRTF chair report to the IAB for the month ending 16 February 2022.

# Research Groups

Appointment of GAIA and HRPC co-chairs in progress. QIRG and COINRG held 
interim meetings; ongoing discussion of semantic routing and how it 
relates to COINRG.


ANRP award talks for IETF 113 will be given by Sangeetha Abdu Jyothi and 
Bruce Spang.


Taejoong (Tijay) Chung from Virginia Tech will co-chair. Invitation of 
other co-chair candidates in progress.

# Documents and Errata

* With RFC Editor
- draft-irtf-cfrg-hpke (AUTH48)
- draft-irtf-cfrg-spake2
- draft-irtf-panrg-questions

* In IESG Conflict Review
- draft-irtf-icnrg-nrsarch-considerations

* In IRSG Final Poll
- draft-irtf-nwcrg-nwc-ccn-reqs (poll completed; revised draft needed)
- draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g (ready for IESG conflict review)

* In IRSG Review
- draft-irtf-qirg-principles
- draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation
- draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-history (ready for IRSG final poll)
- draft-irtf-nmrg-ibn-intent-classification
- draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion
- draft-irtf-icnrg-ccninfo 
- draft-irtf-nmrg-ibn-concepts-definitions

* In IRTF Chair Review
- draft-irtf-cfrg-hash-to-curve
- draft-irtf-nwcrg-bats
- draft-irtf-hrpc-guidelines

# Other Activities

Three diversity travel grant awards made for IETF 113.

–End IRTF Chair Report, Colin Perkins–

2.2. ICANN Liaison Report

–Begin ICANN Liaison Report, Harald Alvestrand–

This report covers the time up to February 14, 2022.
It highlights a few subjects that may be of interest.

The SSAD ODP process
This process is nearing its conclusion with the publication of the SSAD 
Operational Design Assesment; the estimates involved have moved from 
“this will be expensive” to “this will be very expensive” (around 25 
MUSD to develop, between 15 and 100 MUSD a year to run), and moved from 
“will take time” to “will take a lot of time” (5 to 6 years).

The by far most expensive part of the system is the one that checks 
credentials of everyone who wishes to make a request, no matter where in 
the world they come from; this is also seen as a critical part of the 
system in order to make it useful.

The system will be funded by its users (including recouping development 
costs), which means it will be expensive to use, which may reduce usage, 
which pushes per-user fees higher.

Discussions on how to reduce the risk of failure (or the cost of 
failure) are ongoing.

Root Server System Governance

The GWG designing the details of the RSS governance structure have 
returned to something much closer to the original sketch from RSSAC 37, 
taking into account the input from RSSAC on “success criteria” 
(RSSAC058, RSSAC059), which helped focus the discussion more.

Allocation of a TLD for “something like .local”

The SSAC has published SAC113, calling for the ICANN board to ensure a 
string is identified and reserved for private use, which “must never be 

ICANN staff has recommended to the Board that the board accepts this 
recommendation, and has outlined a proposed process for achieving this 
delegation; this involves reaching out to the IETF/IAB, but 
significantly does not ask the IAB to propose or approve of the choice 
of the string chosen; ICANN staff suggests that the ICANN board be the 
one to decide whether to accept the string or not.

Pandemic stuff

As expected, the Board workshop that was intended to be held in January 
in Los Angeles turned into a virtual meeting.

ICANN 73 (March 7-10, planned for San Juan) is fully virtual.

ICANN 74 (June 13-16, the Hague) is planned as a hybrid meeting.

–End ICANN Liaison Report, Harald Alvestrand–

2.3. IANA Liaison Report

–Begin IANA Liaison Report, Sabrina Tanamal–

IANA Services Liaison Report – 16 February 2022

SLA Deliverables Update:

ICANN met 100% of processing goal times for the January 2022 monthly 
statistics report, exceeding the SLA goal to meet 90% of processing goal 
times.  These times include the steps that ICANN has control over and 
not time it is waiting on requesters, document authors or other experts. 
Monthly reports can be found at:
Other News:
IANA Services Operator and IETF Leadership Meeting Minutes:
IETF-IANA Group Meeting was held 10 February 2022. Meeting minutes will 
be available at a future IAB Business meeting.

–End IANA Liaison Report, Sabrina Tanamal–

2.4. RFC Editor Liaison Report

–Begin RFC Editor Liaison Report, John Levine–

The [Temporary RFC Series Project Manager] is slogging nearing the end 
of the updates to RFC 7991, which is a lengthy and tedious task.  We 
hope to be done by the February RSOC meeting.

For the ever-intriguing question of whether and how to revise the XML in 
published RFCs to match the final v3 vocabulary, we will propose to 
simplify  addresses as described last month, and add a few 
filled in default values.  We are also deprecating some XML elements 
that turned out not to be useful, but they do not appear in any 
published RFC.

Since the xml2rfc tool has improved quite a lot in the two years we've 
been using it to render RFCs, re-rendering the XML will produce somewhat 
different, generally better, output compared to what we have now.

He has also been working with he ED planning for the transition from the 
current setup to the new one, recruiting a RSCE, and handing over the 
reins to the RSCE, RWWG. and/or RSAB.

–End RFC Editor Liaison Report, John Levine–

2.5. RSSAC Liaison Report

–Begin RSSAC Liaison Report, Daniel Migault–

RSSAC monthly meeting 2022-02-01

There was an interesting discussion on how states/ISP see the use of 
large resolvers as an alternative to deliver the root zone’s 

The Root Zone Maintainer is expecting feedbacks from the RSOs on the 
newly published  ZONEMD Deployment Plan :

–End RSSAC Liaison Report, Daniel Migault–

3. Independent Submissions Editor Appointment

The IAB selected Eliot Lear as the next Independent Submissions Editor.

4. IAB Chair Selection Process

Ben Campbell sent a call for nominations for the 2022-2023 IAB Chair on 2022-02-09. The nominations deadline is 2022-03-02.

5. AUTH48 public archival

The IAB discussed the proposal from the IESG to publicly archive AUTH48 conversations between authors and the RFC Production Center. The IAB agreed that there was no reason not to do this, and that IAB-stream AUTH48 discussions should be included in this archive. Cindy Morgan will follow up with Francesca Palombini.

6. IoT Directorate-IIC Joint Workshop

Mirja Kühlewind reported that the potential joint workshop between the IOT Directorate and IIC was discussed at the IESG meeting on 2022-02-10. The IESG is following up with the proponents, but it is likely that this will proceed as an informal meeting.

There may be a need to coordinate with the IOT Directorate and the Thing-to-Thing Research Group about other liaison-related activities, but the IAB decided to defer discussion of that until they hear back about the conversation between the IESG and the IOT Directorate.

7. Proposal for RSCE recruitment committee and process

The IAB discussed the IETF Executive Director’s proposal for the RFC Series Consulting Editor recruitment committee and process.

Based on this conversation, Wes Hardaker will draft the IAB’s feedback on this proposal and send it to the IAB for review before passing it along to Jay Daley.

8. Next IAB Meeting

The Next IAB Meeting will be on 2022-02-23 at 0700 PST.

9. Executive Session: ISOC Board of Trustees Appointment

The IAB discussed the appointment to the ISOC Board of Trustees in an executive session. Cindy Morgan will send an e-vote.