15 Aug 2005
- Dan Connolly, Tim Berners-Lee, John C Klensin, Leslie Daigle, Ted Hardie, Scott Hollenbeck, Philippe Le Hégaret
- Convene, take roll, recruit scribe, review agenda
- introducing Philippe Le Hégaret
- registration of mime types from standards
- P3P header registry
- next meeting
- file: URI scheme draft
- mailng list notices, archives in the W3C and IETF
- Remote UI BoF and Synchronized XML DOMs
- Calendaring and Scheduling Standards Simplification (calsify), time zone registry
- URI guidelines last call extended to 31 Aug
- syndication trends: RSS/Atom
- GEOPRIV, privacy and VoIP
- Summary of Action Items
Convene, take roll, recruit scribe, review agenda
[no addtion to the agenda]
introducing Philippe Le Hégaret
Dan: Martin left us after our last telecon. Philippe is replacing him
<Philippe> I’m w3c architecture domain lead, which means I’m responsible for XML, Web Services, I18N, DOM, and URI activities.
registration of mime types from standards
ACTION: hardie to confirm location of published IESG procedures…
Ted: just finished the approval of the document. they are now in the RFC editors hands.
PLH: I checked the changes in the latest draft; they don’t seem to impact
W3C’s process for registering media types.
Philippe: as far I understand, we’re in sync. we’re following the proper process
P3P header registry
ACTION MJDuerst: Get Massimo to contact Ted Hardie
Dan: is it still relevant?
Ted: didn’t get contacted. if you still want the header, you should keep trying to register. If Philippe is interested, he can keep following on this.
Philippe: could look into this
Ted: massimo-p3p-headers from 2002
Philippe to follow up on the p3p header registry [recorded in
Ted: I’ll expect a new document coming up
Dan: Leslie, can you chair?
Leslie: yes… before or after next IETF?
<DanC> November 6 – 11, 2005 64th IETF
<timbl_> ISWC week
Dan: before is my preference
<DanC> I’m generally available in Oct
Resolved: Monday, October 24, 3pm Boston time
Dan will book the bridge
DanC to arrange bridge for Monday, October 24, 3pm [recorded in
file: URI scheme draft
ACTION: MJD to contact Paul H
Dan: I sent a mail to Martin asking about the status
Ted: Paul H. took the task of all uri in 1738. simple ones have been done. the most difficult uri scheme to update in file:. Paul and Larry Masinter agreed will jointly produce a document capturing the state of play.
Philippe to check with Martin about the status of file: [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/15-ietf-w3c-irc]
Ted: one thing for the TAG is to see if file: would be capable of dealing IRIs, or to issue a new scheme
Tim: the confusion of creating two schemes would be even worth than the current limitations?
Ted: possible not. […] the right to do is to put together your thoughts on it. going to native IRI at this stage would create surprises.
Dan: security issues that would help motive people to pay attention? a combinaison of I18N and security issues.
John: since they’re local, there is no significant issue.
Dan: my preference would be “file: is too weird. good luck” would make lots of sense for the platform vendors to indicate how file: works on their platforms.
Ted: it would be good if Philippe reviews the URI mailing list in May this year (email@example.com May 2005).
mailng list notices, archives in the W3C and IETF
Dan: they are some talks about cross mailing lists. automatic response from W3C doesn’t include IETF wordings. (noted by Larry)
Leslie: since it isn’t currently an IETF activity, it may not be important.
Dan: I guess we can agree it’s a good idea.
leslie: for IETF, it’s kind of required. how useful is it to have cross lists? W3C policy lacks the ability to confirm anytime I sent a message to a list
Dan: I can send an enhancement request for that and see what happens
DanC to ask for “ok to archive everything I send to list X” enhancement to archive approval system [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/15-ietf-w3c-irc]
Dan: we host webdav, correct?
Ted: yes. it would be useful if the mailing list response was including the IETF wording but there is enough things going on that, if somebody was behaving inappropriately, they would get a pointer. unlike uri. so valuable for webdav, but not absoluty required.
DanC to look into adding “note well…” notice to webdav, uri lists [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/15-ietf-w3c-irc]
Remote UI BoF and Synchronized XML DOMs (FYI)
Dan: Dave is doing cool stuff. He went to the IETF conf, and sent a report of it.
Scott: right now, haven’t gone anymore. questions around the scope: narrowing it, better definition. before next IETF, new charter or new BOF request. didn’t hear anything since Paris.
Dan: what’s the distance between RUI and VNC? VNC is bitmap.
This working group will specify an open, platform-independent method, the Widget Description Exchange Service, or WiDeX for use in an IP-based network to convey initialisationRUI/WIDEX Description and Charter (proposed)
…on what is appropriate for realising the DOM event capture/bubble model in a distributed context, and what constraints are needed to simplify protocol support for synchronizing DOM updates.Dave’s notes
Scott: important to distinguish between Dave’s vision and Vlad’s. Vlad’s vision is much simpler.
Dan: is there any deployment/implementation around this?
<timbl_> Is this designed to be collaborative editing (a la subetheedit?, CSCW?)
Scott: yes, on the VNC side. dunno about WiDeX
Ted: the current draft is too empty so you can read anything into it.
[no action/resolution necessary]
Calendaring and Scheduling Standards Simplification (calsify) (FYI), timezone registry
Dan: calsify wg. possible timezones registry. individual submission Time Zone Registry D. Royer?
Ted: correct. it’s not in the charter of the wg. too many layers of politics to go into a charter.
Dan: Department of Energy is planning to change the daylight savings…
Ted: they may put it off an other year
Tim: having a timezone registry would be a good idea.
John: those timezones have political ramification. [book reference missed]
Tim: the other way to do it would be to have a vocabulary for publishing the timezones. then countries or towns can publish their timezones at well-known URIs.
<JcK> I didn’t give a book ref, although I could look one up. The 10K view is “mess” — it can be done non-normatively, as Tim suggested, but then you can’t bind names to it
Ted: deeper problem is with repeating meeting, if timezone definition changes in the middle of the iteration.
Tim: one idea would be to use a “latest version of the timezone” URI.
Ted: there is already one group of people documentating timezones. moving it in the IETF wouldn’t add anything trying to import the Olsen database wouldn’t useful enough.
Tim: then the question becomes how to liaise with them
Tim: on calsify. does it mean that calsify is producing test data sets?
Ted: yes, if it goes on the formal track
<DanC> the word “test” doesn’t occur in the calsify charter
Ted: did you guys were involved in the calconnect work?
Dan: yes, somehow
Ted: the basic idea is to extend the work done in calconnect
Tim: idea is to get the test data set to become as important as the spec
Dan: I was at the BOF and encouraged them to do test dvpt
Dan: nobody in the wg is leading the dvpt of tests
URI guidelines last call extended to 31 Aug
Tim: would like to push the IESG on the value of the avaibility of tests online
Dan: don’t see any comment about the bad idea of creating new schemes
<DanC> DAV: in particular
Leslie: competing requirements? between not creating new schemes and documenting what exists out there
Dan: we should bash vendors who create new schemes despite the recommendation. I’m following up with Apple btw
DanC to comment on URI guidelines about not doing DAV: again [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/15-ietf-w3c-irc]
syndication trends: RSS/Atom
Scott: Atom 1.0 is still under IESG evaluation
Dan: Tim Bray meanwhile said to implement it.
Scott: that’s safe at this stage
Dan: meanwhile Yahoo, Google, etc are announcing RSS extension for more media
Dan: who is in charge of Atom pub?
GEOPRIV, privacy and VoIP
Dan: W3C has some privacy stuff (P3P). Last time I went to an IETF meeting. geo stuff. impossible questions from technical perspective.
<DanC> “geo stuff” i.e. E911 and VoIP… if you hit 911 on your vonage box, the emergency services folks need to know where you are in order to send a medic. But exactly who else gets your location info?
Ted: geopriv has been slower than expected. it will be used in some domains. for the 911 service, it’s worked in ecrid?.
<DanC> (pdf-lo and such… I looked up all these acronyms while I was at the MN IETF… I have notes somehwere…)
[NEW] ACTION: DanC to arrange bridge for Monday, October 24, 3pm [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/15-ietf-w3c-irc]
[NEW] ACTION: DanC to ask for “ok to archive everything I send to list X” enhancement to archive approval system [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/15-ietf-w3c-irc]
[NEW] ACTION: DanC to comment on URI guidelines about not doing DAV: again [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/15-ietf-w3c-irc]
[NEW] ACTION: DanC to look into adding “note well…” notice to webdav, uri lists [recorded in
[NEW] ACTION: Philippe to check with Martin about the status of file: [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/15-ietf-w3c-irc]
[NEW] ACTION: Philippe to follow up on the p3p header registry [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/15-ietf-w3c-irc]
[End of minutes]
Minutes formatted by David Booth’s scribe.perl
version 1.126 (CVS log)
$Date: 2005/08/17 15:26:17 $