2020 Retreat COVID-19 Impact on the IETF working model
Jump to navigation Jump to search
List pulled from slides
- covid-19 impacting effectiveness
- covid-19 effect on internet scaling / use
- decreasing funding from economic downturn
- impact of virtual-only work
- travel restrictions
- increase in nationalism may lead to less interoperability desire
- Remote chatham house
- Impacts on the lost of face-to-face meetings
- hallway conversations
- timezone management for wide discussions
- loss of voices in discussions
- Work effort slow down
- look ma, no deadlines!
- Registration funding misalignment with expenditures needed?
- The sudden importance of manycouches
- Rolling teleconferences always disadvantage someone, due to time zones. How to encourage effective asynchronous work?
- Impact on the funding an organisational model as meetings become less important.
- Difficult to charge large fees for an online IETF meeting if virtual interims are free, but the meeting fees subsidise secretariat costs
- Are there alternative funding models that don't devolve to charging a membership fee or relying on corporate largesse?